Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Advair effects?
I may have athsma and my doctor prescribed me the advair inhaler and I was wondering what side effects you had and how bad were they? Oh and it's an "inhaled steroid"...is it like any ...

My nasal polyps aren't responding to drugs. Will I need surgery?
I've been having chronic sinus infections for months now due to nasal polyps. I also have asthma....

Can someone recommend home remedy for combating productive cough?

What is this cough I have?
I have had it a few times now and it is really annoying!
There is a tickling sensation in your throat, as if you have a sore throat. then when you cough, your chin and bottom teeth itch and will ...

What conditions need to be met if one person wished to donate a lung to another (not a blood relative)?.?

Possible Asthma causes?
Wondering if maybe someone here can help me out.
I was recently diagnosed with Bronchitis, and told that I possibly have asthma as well.
Once I am better from the Bronchitis my doctor will ...

I am having two daughter elder one is having a problem in breathing at the time of sleeping,kindly help me to?

Is smoking damage reparable?
What is the benefit to stopping smoking. Will my lungs and heart heal? I've no cancers, nor any of the smoking related diseases... only the filthy addiction, and i'm workin on that. It�...

Smoking With Asthma?
I quit smoking about two months ago after having been a regular smoker for at least six months. My reason for quitting being that my mild asthma got considerably more noticeable. The key symptom is a ...

Is halitosis curable?

Mom has COPD and Emphysema?
Im not sure what stage she is in has to be the final tho. She has 26% of her lungs and 11% airway left. The curse of smoking most of her life. BTW she still does smoke. Those of you that doo smoke ......

What are the effects of weed.........?
at lunch today, I overheard this kid tell his friend that he had weed in his pill bottle thing. I saw him open it and then a second or so later a horrible smell met my nostrils. I braethed it for ...

If everyone held there breath and then breathed in at the same time.. would we die?
cause all the oxamagen in da world will be gonez.

sad face :(...

Father needs rides to Hospital for treatment - Any programs for this?
Hello, I'm hopeing someone can give me an answer for my Father.....He just got out of the Hospital (Again) He has super bad lungs and very bad Heart....He is 75 years old and my Mother is 79....T...

Consequences of smoking weed?
what are some consequences of smoking weed i havent smoked it but i know some people who hav im only in 8th grade they are to and how are they going to be acting r they going to be the same or ...

Is it painful if your lungs slow down/stop working?
like a respiratory ...

I've been getting a lot of random bloody noses?
im 14 years old, and i've had 3 bloody noses within the past 2 days, each lasting a few minutes..

i live at sea level, so that can't be the cause of it.

i haven&#...

What is the problem?
during the day my 4 mo. old is fine because he can breath right and nasal passages are clear, but come around 8:00p.m. he gets all congested and can't breath all night until the next day. He ...

Do chihuahuas really help asthma?
My daughter has severe asthma and I had asked about home remedies on another question. A couple of people said that having a pet chihuahuahelps. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Is it true? We ...

What can I do to clear up sinus infection?
I have terrible head akes from a sinus infection. I am currently taking Avelox to relieve it but it is not helping. I have all ready been to the doctor but nothing is realivg this. All I can do is ...

Dave
Why do only adults get intubated? What do they do for children?

latina123456
Rating
the parents will do nothing if they are rude and unsafe with childern but if they are nice and hrad working parents they try to have fun with them.

Jen C
Rating
Children get intubated as well. They use different kinds of tubes(usually called uncuffed endotracheal tubes) that come in different sizes. Even newborns are intubated, usually for lung prematurity and are also done with uncuffed tubes. The procedure is the same as adults.

chILD Mom
Children can be intubated as well. My daughter was intubated in 2005 at only 2 weeks of age when she lost the ability to breathe on her own due to an interstitial lung disease. We were told she had severe respiratory failure. She was actually considered for ECMO (heart-lung machine) but was not placed on it because the ICU doctors didn't feel she could survive anyway, and then when it started looking like she was going to make it, she no longer needed the ECMO, so she managed to avoid that entirely. She remained on the vent until she was a month old. After she was extubated, they tried other ways to keep her oxygenated. She did Vapotherm (like nasal cannula oxygen that goes in mixed with water at high pressures) for a few days, and then when that didn't work for her, they did CPAP (little mask that goes tightly on the nose and blows air in) for a while. Eventually, she was able to be weaned to regular nasal cannula oxygen and remained on that for a really long time 24 hours a day, and even now at almost 2, she remains on the oxygen at night. So in fact, there is actually a lot they can do for children with severe respiratory problems, and I for one am so extremely grateful for that fact.

myluvallen
Hi Dave:

It is not only adults that are intubated when they need to be. Children and even newborns are intubated should the need arise. For children and newborns to be intubated, it is a bit more difficult, but is done every day, every where.

You also hear more about adults being put on vents, breathing machines or intubated, which they are all one in the same, but as I mentioned adults are mentioned more or seen in tv programs more than children and newborns.

For any person of any age, if assisted breathing is needed, thenit should not be a concern as as medicine is able to assistanyone who the doctor deems necessary to be placed on breathing machines/intubated/on a vent.

Be safe and be well

laisha
Rating
Pediatric patients can be/are intubated however, less invasive procedures are attempted initially (often with positive results). Airways are tricky in the sense that if practitioners don't position a person and the airway device "just right," assisted ventilation can be ineffective. Children are anatomically different than adults and positioning can be even more challenging. There is also more of a risk of over-inflation/air into the belly etc. ; we can use special techniques and ET tubes that are sized for mini - humans.

There was a study re intubating pediatric patients "in the field" (pre - hospital) published this month. It appears that the use of a bag - valve mask (a contraption that has a mask and a balloon to squeeze oxygen/air into client) and other airway devices brings better results than attempting to intubate a child before getting them to a hospital. This may be due to: time loss and increase in occurrence of complications out-of-hospital, the fact that EMT - Is/Paramedics do not have consistent "practice"/application of airway management rgs pediatrics or other issues (probably a combination of things).

Diane A
Are you talking about the breathing tubes they put into the trachea to hook up to a ventilator? If so, they intubate babies from newborn, preemie to adult. They use smaller sizes like a "o" or a 1 (an adult is a 6 or 7); the kid's ETT are uncuffed so they do not damage the traches; and they use pediatric sized ventilators (they used to be called "baby birds").

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, November 27, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy