Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

If I only smoke for a few weeks, will the bad effects be reversed?
I'm 14, have never smoked in my life until this morning. If I only smoke 1 or 2 cigarrettes a day for only about 2 or 3 weeks, will there be any lasting bad effects? I got used to it almost ...

Is smoking good for my health? Also will it make me look big hard cool or clever?

How do i start smoking?

Is smoking bad for you?
a lot of peploe think that smoking is bad for you but my grandad stared smoking when he was ten and lived till he was 98 so it cant be that bad for you can ...

Ive been smoking for 15 years, is it to late to quit?
Are my lungs at the piont of no return?...

My husband snores badly really badly!?
Can anyone help me, my husband of only six months has a terrible habit of snoring, when I say snoring he sounds like Darth Vader with a severe cold...he doesn`t like me not sleeping in the same bed ...

Is smoking cigars worse for you than cigarettes?

Do I annoy people with my smoking (cigarettes) habit?

No one answered my question :[[[[[?
i've had it for more than a year now. and it's driving me nuts!
and it's getting worst. i haven't slept the whole night. i had chest congestion and it wouldn't stop. ...

What do you think are some PROS of smoking cigerettes,?
i have researched a lot on the internet and i keep getting the same link, so i was wondering, for all you smokers out there, or just for whoever wants to answer....
Why do u smoke?
what are ...

Child with asthma??
Has anyone out there got a child with asthma? My son has just turned 4 and is currently on prednisolone tablets and ventolin nebs. He is coughing constantly all day and night. Any tips on how to help ...

Does this sound like a chest infection...?
Would appreciate some serious medical opinions on this please! Since last Sunday, I have had pains in my chest (only on the left hand side directly in behind the breast) when I breathe in or out ...

For how long should I take antibiotics?
I took erythromycin for 10 days because I had a throat infection, I finished the treatment 3 days ago, now the doctor prescribed another antibiotic for five days... someone told me they will not work,...

How can i stop smoking? i smoke 80 a day and i no its not good for me?

What should i so? I really feel like I'm loosing my mind! PLEASE HELP!?
Hey, I recently have have been having shortness of breath, well I think its shortness of breath but not to sure, the problem is that this isent the first time iv had it, it seems to go away for a ...

Throat problem!! help plz!! (10 pnts.)?
ok, well, it doesnt really hurt that bad, but it feels really dry. it also feels a little constricted. what can i do to help this. i tried gargling with salt water but it didnt really help. like i ...

I want to START smoking cigarettes?
Im 21 and i tried the other day a cigarette. It felt really good, i enjoy it really much. I will start smoking tomorrow but i will not smoke more than 3 cigarettes at day, that way i will always feel ...

How to get sick?

I am 14, but I want to smoke!?
I eat a lot! Then I throw up! Yes I guess I am bulimic... but I dont really want to eat anymore, so I think if I start smoking it will mae me feel full... any other suggestions?...

Smoking Cigarretes?
when you smoke, but if you dont inhale the smoke is that still going to damage the lungs? like if you just take a hit but just blow the smoke back out is that going to damage anything in your body? ...

jana silva
Why cigarretes are addictive?
The stimulanting effects of nicotine:

fishy.<3
Rating
When inhaled through cigarette smoking, nicotine is rapidly absorbed into the lungs and enters the blood vessels that are contained in the tissue that line the lungs. From these tiny blood vessels, the nicotine enters the bloodstream and travels directly to the brain. This powerful drug reaches the brain within ten seconds and produces immediate feelings of pleasure or euphoria, amongst other stimulating effects.

Nicotine does not stay in the body for very long and is quickly broken down by various enzymes and chemical reactions. It has a half-life of around 40 minutes, which means that after this amount of time the nicotine loses half of its effect and the smoker will soon feel the need to light up another cigarette.

When you exercise, you actually metabolise the nicotine in your body faster. This means that the level of nicotine in the body and in the brain decreases more quickly. Once the nicotine is metabolised, the body usually rids itself of the drug and the smoker must therefore smoke another cigarette in order to get the levels back up to a satisfying measure.

---------------

Nicotine causes chemical or biological changes in the brain. This effect is called psychoactive and although it is less dramatic than heroin or cocaine, the strength of the addiction is just as powerful. It is a 'reinforcing' drug, which means that users desire the drug regardless of the damaging effects. For example, in research conducted in 1994, only 50% of smokers who suffered a heart attack managed to quit smoking even though their doctors advised them to. Coincidentally, 50% of all regular smokers die as a result of smoking.

Nicotine addiction is a physical dependency. Withdrawal symptoms are severe and most smokers cannot quit on their first attempt because of these symptoms. The human body builds a tolerance to nicotine and the effect of the drug is reduced over time. As a result, regular smokers can inhale greater amounts of smoke and therefore greater amounts of toxins, without showing immediate effects (ie coughing, nausea). Nicotine is extremely poisonous if consumed in large amounts and most people feel sick and dizzy the first time they smoke. These negative affects are quickly overcome. Over time the body builds a tolerance to nicotine, resulting in an increase in the amount of cigarettes smoked.

J *
You brain and body become dependant on nicotine.

Lisa
Ciggs contain nicotine which is a stimulant and addictive substance and they are delicious :O

♥ [cindy]
because of the nicotine in them.

♥simply beautiful♥
its a thing called nicotine and it makes your body usally feel calmed and stuff so it makes u want it more nd more offten

jenbug1015
Rating
its the nicotine
then i believe its also a mental habit, something to do with your hands, pass the time. for some, they say its relaxing.

Man I'm Pretty.
Rating
the people who sell it put stuff in it so that you get addicted and keep on buying more. its horrible.

Crazy Cat Lady
because every time you smoke a cigarette you instantly become cool, I guess a lot of people want to be cool

Whozeewhatizz
Rating
Is the main ingredient why quitters relapse back to smoking again.

Mark C
Rating
It is both physically and psychologically addictive - that's why it makes it so hard to give up

ranmafan@sbcglobal.net
Rating
the nicotine in the cigarettes releases endorphins endorphins make ppl happy and feel good the body likes to feel good so it starts to crave it that's is why cigs are addictive it's the same way an adrenaline junkie is always looking for something bigger and badder to conquer

Becca
Rating
nicotine

Leo S
it infects the brain and the brain thinks it is pleasurable because of the nicotine

kiki33
Rating
Cigarettes are addictive not just because of the nicotine. Just think about the people who make it look so cool. I think people buy into the hype that advertisers sell.

anarchistmelanie1981
nicotine is addictive but I also think it has a lot to do with a person because if I smoke sometimes I just smoke once in a while

maxi
Rating
becuz they have nicotine

lilywildfire
Rating
Because it gives you a "high"

Greg W
the nicatine

futbol or football
Thats what nicotine does. Makes you crave it.

keLskanator
Rating
nicotineee

nick722
They are addictive because ammonia is added to the Nicotine then it enhances the affects of the Nicotine 100%. There also is another 3000 chemicals in cigarettes. These things could not be any worse for you.

T.PARRISH
Rating
BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD. AND WE ARE CREATURES OF PLEASURE. ITS LIKE CHOKING THE CHICKEN IT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD , SO YOU ARE MORE LIKE TO CHOKE THE CHICKEN ALOT

flonkas
because nicotine is an addivtice chemical or whatever. dude a monkey could have told u that. no offence..

Elle
Rating
nicotine. you answered your own question.

zakk
Rating
They contain a substance called Nicotine which makes you addicted.

Love
Rating
People are weak willed and don't care about their health. Nicotine is addictive but not so addictive that a smoker can't quit if they really wanted to.

nostraight
Rating
nicotine binds to brain cells and makes then function differently. You brain starts craving it and if you don't have more of it, you it starts sending out withdrawal symptoms like headaches and nausea.

bilbobagsend
Rating
nicotine is an addictive drug

Sammy B
Yes, nicotine is one reason for their addictiveness. However, cigarrette companies add hundreds of other chemicals into each one. Ammonia and arsenic are two good ones. There is some research that shows these extra chemicals help to make them extra addictive!

Samirah
Not for me..after 8 years ..just quit. (four months ago)

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.134
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, June 14, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy