Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Is my cough and phlegm from smoking marijuana?
Am I already getting a smokers cough? I've been smoking marijuana occasionally the past 6 months and everyday the past 2 months. Is the build up of phlegm and the cough related? I've had ...

Cough Medicine Question PLZ HELP!?
Ok I'm a few seconds away from coughing up a lung here.... any advice on a good cough medicine? NO Robutussin<-sp? tho... I found out I'm allergic to it....(took it yesterday.... broke ...

When you have bronchitis and cough up phlegm, is it ok when you swallow it?

I recently quit smoking?
and my troat is sooo sore!! Does one have anything to do with the other?How long will it take for me to fill100% better?...

I just found out that I got Latent Tuberculosis infecttoin? help!?
Today My doctor told me that I was infected with latent turbeculosis and my question is can it be curable?

Oh and another question I told my girl and I'm afraid to kiss her, can I ...

My 7 year old daughter is coughing bad, and it hurts her chest.. what should I give her?
Ive tried over the counter meds, nyquil cough and cold adult strignth, that didnt help, then I tried delsym cough med thats the strongest over the counter adult strignth... thats not working... Im ...

Hard time breathing/throwing up yellow bile?
Hi, I woke up in a panic, not being able to breath, I had the dry heaves and threw up some yellow bile. It almost felt like it was in my lungs. Do you know what this could be from?...

How Healthy am i Considering i have CF?( cystic fibrosis)?
im wondering...... i am SO SCARED of when i get older because i have cystic fibrosis (was diagnosed at 8 months) and i am now 14. i have a fairly healthy life. in physical education in school im NE...

Help with my asthma?
I'm 23 and I never had allergies or asthma and now I do. I know maybe a while back I would huff and puff here and there but never thought it could have been asthma. Well I am on Singulair and A...

Alubterol Overdose?
ok so if you follow my post ive been having tightness in the chest i think i overdosed on my albuterol inhaler these exact feelings happened like 6 weeks ago also originally we thought it was this ...

Help! my friend tried a cigarette and i dont know if this is serious.?
my friend just recently tried a cigarette for her first time a few days ago. she only took one puff of it, but she has been complaining all week that her chest feels extremely heavy and its kinda ...

Can I use penicillin to cure the sore throat/heavy coughing that I have?

Can you help me list at least five things that affect how much air your lungs cand hold?

Difference of asthma to emphysema?

My father has copd, diabetes, sleep apnea, pv, myopathy. Lung capacity at less than 20%.?
Oxygen saturation at 85%. Pint of blood withdrawn every other week. High blood pressure, high cholesterol. How long can he go on, should I be concerned that the end is near. I do not live near him ...

What are the risks of giving an elderly lady a perm? Will the fumes hurt her? She is 76?
She is on oxygen and has COPD as well as congestive heart and has had heart attack and stroke. She used to get it done at the Salon but han't had it done in over a year. she wants one now so I ...

Anyone know what this could be?
I realize I probably will need to go to a doctor for this, but I wanted to see what people think on here. I had a sinus infection last week (I'm still on the antibiotics), but even though the ...

Does anyone know anything about bacterial infections?
I have a bacterial infection in my respitory tract:
a) how did I get something like this?
b) why does my chest hurt so bad?...

Can we give nalaxone to a twins whom their mother got an overdose of spinal local anesthesia ?
A mother was given spinal anesthesia (Marcarine heavy 0.5 (Bupivacaine)) + fentanyl 25 mcg on a cesarean delivery and the babies were premature (less than 36 weeks). They were born on 15-FEB-2007 &...

Why do people burp?
I need a medical answers for number 1 question....

♥Miarious♥
Whats the Epiglottis and what does it do?
It slipped my mind....what does it do and what is it?

Heatherrrrrrrr
It keeps food from coming up your throat.

Glotis is above the stomach and then the Epiglottis is the closing of your throat. Keeps food from going into your lungs when you are eating.

Rebecca H
Rating
Part of your digestive system throat down to stomach..

missjugded
The thin elastic cartilaginous structure located at the root of the tongue that folds over the glottis to prevent food and liquid from entering the trachea (wind pipe) during the act of swallowing.

ryanincontrol
Rating
The epiglottis is a lid-like flap of elastic cartilage tissue covered with a mucous membrane, attached to the root of the tongue.It guards the entrance of the glottis, the opening between the vocal folds.

It prevents food from going into the trachea and instead directs it to the esophagus.
The epiglottis is one of nine cartilaginous structures that make up the larynx (voice box).

zini
The epiglottis is a small flap of muscle, attached to the back of the tongue. Its role is to fold over the trachea (wind pipe) when we swallow to prevent food from entering the lungs.

Jerry
This is an answer I gave to someone that asked a question about how food stays out of your throat when You swallow, but I think it answers your question as well.

The epiglottis guards the entrance of the glottis, the opening between the vocal cords, during swallowing.

It is normally pointed upward, but during swallowing, elevation of the hyoid bone draws the larynx upward; as a result, the epiglottis folds down to a more horizontal position. In this manner it prevents food from going into the trachea and instead directs it to the esophagus, which is more posterior.

This mechanism can be flawed in people with swallowing problems. They have trouble with their epiglottis closing properly which causes them to aspirate food into their trachea. These people are usually put on special diets where their food is chopped up or pureed for them.

Have a good day!!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy