Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

What dose it mean when you cough up blood?

I want to start a smoking habit, is that good ?
my friends are fourcing me to smoke, but i dont like smoking, what is the best way to handl my friends, and ignore smoking, i dont want to hurt my friends, but the smoking is also not good. what i ...

Why is it that smokers don't consider everyone else?
I used to smoke so know what it's like to be addicted, also know that you can quit, but why are smokers unable to see what their smoking does to the rest of us. I know that as from the 1st July ...

"bad breathe" how can i stop this!?

What does it mean when you run out of breath fast?
my boyfriend runs out of breath very fast and im just curious what could be causing it to happen? it gets so bad he feels like he cant catch his breath like hes gasping for air, its really concerning ...

What is the most effective form of torture, using items found in the average household?

I can't stop smoking why @?

Anyone out there found a cure for snoring apart from murder?
My girlfriend is gonna wipe me out in my sleep if I don't stop. Please help a plea from a frightend man....

I`m thinking of taking up smoking... I`m in my 40`s and never done it before..?
is it alright?...

I was forced into smoking 2 cigarettes, Will this have harmed me? If so, how can I undo the damage?

Why People Smoking?

What's a good cure for the hiccups?
I have had them for the past twenty minutes and nothing will get rid of them!...

What will the hospital do if you cough up blood?

Additional Details
lets just say that this was caused by something not because it just started automatically. i know why it is happening but i want to know what the hospital will do?...

Help! i'm super sick!?
i have a Horrible cough, its full of flem. chest pains, with presure. i have a bad sore throat. my voice is super scratchy, and almost a whisper. i have a stuffy nose. and swollen glands right under ...

How do you calm yourself during a panic attack?
I'm going through a really rough time in my life right now and often have moments where my heart races and my chest hurts like it's caving in. Does anyone have any coping methods to help me?...

How many of you smoke, stoped smoking or dont smoke?
i need at least 50 ...

What is the best way to rid of constipation ?

People smoke outside, outside my office door but all the smoke drifts in. I'm a non smoker. What can I do ??

Is marijuana bad for you in any way? Can it do anything harmful to you besides your lungs?

Additional Details
IM doing a research essay on effects of Marijuana....

What if a person with asthma were to smoke?
i used to hav asthma but havnt had symptoms for yrs, my mom says i outgrew it and was wondering what would happen if i started to smoke. ive heard lots of poeple say they hav asthma but still smoke......

Hicktowngirl66
Last night I had what I think was an asthma attack. Why did the doctor say it was not asthma?
I saw this doctor about 6 months ago with concerns that I may have asthma, but he used a peak flow meter and it was normal, and he said I did not have asthma. he did give me an albuterol inhaler. I have periods in the evening, especially after I have spent time outdoors where I have nearly uncontrollable coughing, I don't wheeze, but I do feel it is harder to breathe in and out, around that time and after the coughing attack i have a lot of mucus come up.

Anyway, last night I was laughing at something my hubby was saying. I have been fighting a bit of congestion in my chest the past few days. I got up off the cough, and suddenly started coughing on controllably, I was coughing up mucus, and felt very weak, I used 4 puffs of albuterol, felt a bit better, but was still coughing. I went to the same doc this morning and he said, nope, not asthma, peak flow meter says I'm fine. Just drink robutussin.

Your opinion?
Additional Details
Coughing, from what I've been reading, is a a common part of asthma. So I don't know what you all are talking about. And yes I was having trouble breathing, and coughing at the same time. And using albuterol (which is a bronco-dilator) did help. Absence of wheezing does not discount asthma.

candy6979556
I agree with IRISH.

irishlass
Asthma sufferers do not usually have coughing fits, they literally cannot breathe and need a bronco-dialator to open up thier bronchial tubes, asthma attacks can come on suddenly they do not have to be caused by outdoor allergens, sometimes just cold air outside can cause one.Be happy, if you can cough you can breathe.

I would go to an allergy doctor and get tested, you need to find out what triggers your coughing episodes.

bella!
If he hasn't suggested any other tests, or looked any farther into it, I think you should go for a second opinion. It may not be asthma, but there are plenty of other tests you could have done to find out exactly what it could be.

best of luck!

jamluvsmmurph6900
Rating
It may not be asthma at all, you might have some sort of chest congestion, or bronchitis going on. It's unusual to cough up anything when you have asthma. Did the Dr. do ANY other tests to see what else might be causing the coughing, weakness? There is a limit to how much robutussin or any other over the counter cough medication you should take without having medical intervention. Are you sure that this Dr. isn't some sort of quack? If the peak flow meter says you don't have asthma, then go to another Dr. and have them check for something else. I am shocked that this Dr. didn't do that.

nii
I think you should have an allergy test.

nikki21pink
Rating
You're right. absence of wheezing does not discount asthma. But do you know what the wheezing is???? It is the constriction of the bronchioles (the airways in your lungs). The albuterol inhaler is a bronchodilator. An indication for a bronchdilator is WHEEZING, not coughing. So, if your bronchioles are constricting, you will MOST OFTEN start to wheeze (just cuz you can't heard it with your naked ear doesn't mean you aren't wheezing in your lungs). The albuterol will open them up. So, no wheezing, no airway constriction, no need for the albuterol. I see this all the time, and the most common reason the albuterol helps in situations such as this is because it's mostly in the patient's head.
And what other people are saying about the coughing is true. It is not a common sympton of asthma, nor will albuterol help it. If you are getting mucus up with the coughing, then you most likely have a URI (upper respiratory infection) or a chest cold (as indicated by the congestion you are experiencing). You're doctor is correct. Probably not asthma. But if you are dead set on having it, request a pulmonary function test. This will tell you the function of your lungs

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy