Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

I'm worried about my boyfriend?
For the past week, my boyfriends been complaining he doesn't feel well, he's 18 and really asthmatic so i suggested he went to the doctors, but being a lad he refused and said he'd be ...

Does anyone know if you have asthma, do you always get coughing and wheezing?
My doctor diagnosed me with allergy asthma a few years ago, but i never have a cough or shortness of breath..all i get is the chest tightness and difficulty breathing, is this normal and is that ...

Do cats cause Asthma?
I have a two year and people say I should not have a kitten in my apartment. Do cats really cause Asthma?...

Has anyone developed asthma as an adult? What can you tell me about this?
I was recently diagnosed with asthma, though, I had no symptoms until recently. (I am 25). Lately, I have begun waking up in the middle of the night with horrible wheezing. I suppose I could be ...

Please help me, I have a running nose and im always coughing!?

Should the baby go to the doctor?
6 weeks old temp. 99.3 (rectal) coughing until gaging, only coughed up phlem 1 time, breathing has a weeziness to it. Should I have the baby taken in? What are the symptoms of RSV in babies?...

What is the best way to get ciggarette smoke smell out of a house in a couple days?
I need to get ciggarette smoke out of a house in a couple of days, My sister in law was staying here and she was smoking in the house and luckly i came home from our trip a few days early cause of ...

I can't stop cough when I try to talk, please help!?
Hi guys, I start cough last week, and now I can't stop caughing! Everytime I try to speak a word, my throat start feeling itche and I start cough, I been search around the internet and yahoo ...

How can I prevent second-hand smoking?
I have been exposed to second-hand smoking for the past 14 years even when I was still a fetus inside my mother's womb. What can I do to prevent this?
Additional Details
My father ...

Anti smokers have won the right not to breath second hand smoke. What about the right not to inhale car fumes?

Our prem baby as cronic lung disease, now after 4 mths she is deteriating. What would cause this?
Our baby Caitlyn was born at 24wk 6 days gestation, after being on a ventilator for 2 months she started showing signs of progress and was put on c.pap, then onto an headbox she was doing really well ...

Candles?? Things I think might be bothering my Husbands Asthma?
Do candles aggravate people with asthma??What about pollen?? Can they take Claritin??...

What are treatments for honeymoon cystitis?

Additional Details
i forgot to mension i am on my 3rd course of antibiotics from the doctor, but they dont seem to work, then just give me thrush....

Smoking while taking birthconrtol??
I'm 14 years old and I might have to be put on that birthcontrol called Yaz. And I smoke so I was wondering if it would still be okay if I smoked while taking this pill.. Or if there's any ...

Why is smoking bad?

OK what is the cure all for a cold, runny nose, aches and pains all over?

Additional Details
My nose is raw from blowing it HELP...

My 4yr. old son is so sick!!?
Ok i have a 4yr. old boy, and he was really sick he has already very bad asthma. And when i took him to the doctors, they said now he has really bad allergeys! but at the doc. office they still gave ...

How I improve my hemoglobin count in my blood,?

What's the best way to deal with an asthma attack if you don't have your inhaler with you?

What are the chances Gordon Brown and His Health minister cronies will answer my TB questions?
My 6 yr old son was confirmed as TB positive today NOT infectious but has to be on antibiotics for 3 months.
I'm furious to discover that routine TB vaccinating has stopped in the UK and ...

Nakki_1
I had the flu shot about 3 months ago...now I may have the flu.?
I am confused,upset, and sick..
I am awaiting the results of my blood work, but I have
severe headaches,
body aches,
chills, fever,
coughing,
stuffy nose,
fatigue,
trouble sleeping longer than 2-3 hours,
my eyes hurt to even move them from let to right.

The doctor feels strongly that the flu is what I have.

With that being said, what is the benefit of having a flu shot in the first place?

Sorry to ramble. it's the insomnia.

♥ Mary ♥
wow... if you dont know wat the flu shot is well....its like injecting a vires in your body so your body can get used to it but it looks like you spreded the vires all over our body and now your really ill.

good luck

CharStar
Rating
The flu shot doesn't protect you from the flu...it's supposed to minimize the effects if you do contract it. The flu is a virus, there's no cure for viruses (they've been around for millions of years - smart little buggers!!)

I'd skip the flu shot next year...kind of a waste really! I'd focus on who your around and make sure you wash those hands often! Sorry your sick....you should probably go to bed! Nite!

charc72042's.a.good.cooker
You & a lot of other people are taking your flu shot to early. Next time wait a little longer the stuff has worn off by now.

michrb52
Rating
I never got a flu shot since I was a kid and will only get one when I hit olden age. in between it is a cruel vaccine that for some reason makes anyone between 20 and 50 sick as hell with the flu, it has been going on for a long time now and probably the person who started the joke is long dead while we still lay suffering after getting vaccinated

dr.inkdrinker
There really is no point. The Flu vaccine only protects you from maybe 4 strains of the flu, the ones that the CDC decides are the most likely to appear in America and affect the populace. You were unlucky in this game of roulette and you contracted a strain that wasn't prepared for in the vaccine. So If you ask me its really not worth the money to get the flu vaccine unless you are elderly, suffer from respiratory illness, or are very young.

honeydust021
Rating
I am an LVN -and from my expereince many people who get the flu shot have reported getting flu like symptoms AFTER- however- this does not happen to everyone- when you got the shot you should have recieved a paper explaining this or someone should have went over this with you- these symptoms will fade- much faster than if you hadn't got the shot. For now just try and treat the symptoms and if this lasts longer than a day or two- Call your doctor!!!

zmxn6666
u r only protected from 1 specific type of flu with the vaccine, yet there are hundreds of other viral illnesses. hang in there

Spyderbear
There are hundreds of strains of flu virus out there. The shot given is a mixture of vaccines for four or five of the strains that the predictors believe will be the most common. A couple of years ago they were terribly wrong and a fairly high number of people died from the flu. I don't take the flu shot at this point in my life. My body is healthy enough to fight off what I get naturally. I may miss a few days of work, but I catch up on day-time TV :)

diannegoodwin@sbcglobal.net
The flu shot only helps with the viruses the CDC thinks will be coming the next year. Other viruses can cause your flu.

Wolf
Nothing in this world is perfect, not even medicine. Most likely what happened is that the strain of flu that you have has mutated to the point that your body does not recognize it as the same thing as what you were vaccinated against.

Or you have something else. That's always possible too.

Tenn Gal
Rating
Vaccine Effectiveness
The ability of flu vaccine to protect a person depends on the age and health status of the person getting the vaccine, and the similarity or "match" between the virus strains in the vaccine and those in circulation. Testing has shown that both the flu shot and the nasal-spray vaccine are effective at preventing the flu.

Vaccine Side Effects (What to Expect)
Different side effects can be associated with the flu shot and LAIV.

The flu shot: The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. Some minor side effects that could occur are

Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
Fever (low grade)
Aches

Wicked Good
The CDC has to 'guess' what flu virus strains will be most common each year. The flu vaccine covers these virus strains for that year based on the 'guess. So it sounds like you came in contact with a strain that was not in this years vaccine or the strain mutated and is immune to the formula of vaccine you received. It happens.

It is still better to get the shot rather than not. Because some defense is better than no defense. There are medications to help shorten the life of the flu (they are prescription) if taken within a short time of getting ill with the flu. If your still in the window of 12-48 hours. I would get your doctor to prescribe one of these medications
Oseltamivir (Tamiflu®)
Zanamivir (Relenza®)
Amantadine (Symmetrel®)
Rimantadine (Flumadine®)

There is more information on flu at the below link including a symptom checker.
http://www.flufacts.com/

You should also consider taking some over the counter medication for flu to ease your symptoms so you can get some rest and feel better.

Hope you get some relief soon!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, October 31, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy