Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Kay
I had an asthma attack. Dr. gave me steroid shot and prescibed prednisone pills for 10 days. Is this okay?
Never had an asthma attack before. Already taking Claritin D and Nasarel. Dr. said this is okay. I have been sick with terrible nasal congestion for one month and coughing for two weeks and wheezing and coughing very bad today which sent me to urgent care. Can I take all this medicine together.? Dr. says yes. I asked about cough medicine he said don't take it, it won't do any good. He also prescribed Q-var, an inhaled steroid. I already had an albuterol inhaler. He said only to use that when necessary. He was upset that all I was taking for my asthma was albuterol. He said my regular doctor should have had me on an inhaled steroid all along. I think my asthma has always been very mild and didn't bother me much, but I guess it's kicking in with a vengeance.

my_new_improved_id
Rating
Lets see...hmmmm. He IS a DOCTOR. He went to school for a loooooong time to get that title. Maybe you should leave medical questions to him. Just do what he tells you....if you end up really bad off then you can sue for malpractice. Good Luck!!

dimoom
Rating
asthma attacks are treated by a controlling the acute distress + a short course of steroid (the 10-days-prednisolone)

inhaled steroids can be given regularily to people that have the symptoms while on the short acting bronchodilator, it has almost no systemic side effects but u need to be cautious, e.g. wash ur mouth after the does

ouisy_01
I would think logically that what the doctor gave you is okay. Why would he give you something that wasn't okay? Sounds like you might want a second opinion if you don't trust the doctor you are with now to do what is okay. Here is the deal - sometimes you have to try different things until you find out what works for your own body. Not everyone responds to the same medications in the same way. (Just something to think about.)

quick_sand
Rating
doctor prescribed prednisone for me when I threw my sholder out, took 4 tablets as prescribed over the first two days, took the next dose and was in the emergency room at 1am with my heart racing like I was having a heart attack...$916.00 dollars later, the er doctor tells me to stop taking them, that they are strong and some people can't handle the dosage...I was one of them.....what are they prescribing for us?.....man made crap...!

redsnowykitten
My husband has severe asthma. With the changing of the seasons going into fall there is a lot of dust and mold spores in the air.He has a prescription for Advair and Albuterol in the fall though he needs a stronger inhaler. I recommend following your doctors advice and doing a bit of research. Certain household cleaners can trigger Asthma as well as pet dander and dust mites.Even certain spices used in cooking can trigger an attack. Hope that helps:)

CJBig
Perfectly fine to take those meds together. In fact steroids paired up with bronchodilators usually is the magic bullet. This is the combination we use in the hospital. Hope you feel better soon.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy