Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Benefits of smoking ban?
this is not a battleground, so why don't everyone be cool
Additional Details
dont give me that smoking is a right or remember prohabition crap, i want real ...

My throat feels funny, like I'm about to get a cough/cold. But im not! Dnt think so anyway! I feel like I have
to keep coughing to clear my throat. I gave up smoking for good about two days ago. For good this time! I'm 19. Should I be worried??...

What causes daily morning cough that leads to vomiting?

My daughter's just come out of hospital and they've given her a course of antibiotics..?
Can she still take Calpol? ...

What is the best remedy to get rid of smoking?

Does this mean I have asthma?
M chest feels tight and I keep having coughing spells to where I almost throw up. It gets me real short of breath.. My son has asthma could this be a sign that I have it too.??? What is the best way ...

4 year old girl keeps getting sick?
Shes been almost consistently sick for weeks w/ different symptoms.
Shes been on antibiotics twice (since Dec.) for a lingering cough, also for sinus and ear infections.
In the past 10 ...

Asthma is an _____ reaction to things in the air.?
Fill in the blank please =)...

How old where you when you started smoking?
i was 10 !!!do u enjoy it?...

What is bronchitis?

I quit smoking cigarettes 2 months ago. Does your lungs ever replenish and become their normal state?
If so, how long is the process? Does it depend on age? I am 24 and have been smoking since age 16....

If you breathe in a tiny bit of asphestos will you die in 15 years time?and is there any symptoms?

Any one know what a CT chest with Contrast is..Medical term?
what do they do is it a scan??...

Back to school w/ ear infection?
My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed today with an ear infection. I have the anitbiotics and ear drops, but am curious to know if I should send her to school tomorrow? I am a single mom who has to ...

If you had a child with a terminal illness that was genetic, would you have another?
Let me preface this question. I have a cousin who's child has Cystic Fibrosis. CF is a genetic disorder in that both parents must be carriers in order for the child to develop the disease.

Why if kichen sprays kill MRSA is it still a problem in hospitals?
So many adverts now for various anti bacterial kitchen sprays, say that it kills MRSA. Why if that's the case are there still problems with it and others like it in hospitals ?
Additional D...

Can you suddenly get a alergy?
hin the last week or so been feeling like im run down and coming down with a cold, feel slightly fluey to. Last two days eye has been hurting to got conjunctivitis only mild and got some drops for ...

What can I do about this cough I've had for more than a year?
It doesn't go away! I've seriously tried everything that can supposedly help.
Additional Details
I don't smoke and I've never smoked in my life....

Is it worse to smoke ciggarettes or pot?
I am asking for religious answers.....

Can pneumonia bw transfered from one person to another?

Paul C
How long can a person smoke before it starts to give you problems?
I have only been smoking for 8 years and here latley I have been getting a lot of colds and coughs. I smoke 2 packs of cigerettes a day.

SpeakTruthToPower
If you want to kill yourself, you don't even have to smoke. Just stand next to someone who does, each time they go outside for a cigarette. In about a year or so you will be unable to breathe without a respirator and without intensive medical treatment every day, you will die pretty early in life.

Good luck

chibi_sylphe
This is a lot, no doubt, and 8 years is a long time, but it's different for everyone. Think about it : Some people don't even smoke, but because of second hand smoke, they developped lung cancer anyway, while some others reaching their 80's smoking 2 packs per day like you are fine. The thing here is risk, always. Sometimes you don't have a problem and sometimes you do. If you start to have trouble, then maybe doing something about it might help.

Wanna-Be-Mommy
I've been smoking on and off since I was 17, but it's been a pack a day for the last 2 years. I've noticed a LOT of problems I've never had before (colds as a result of a very low immune system, chest congestion, coughing, out of breath very easily).

Rachel
I would stop immediately. Start slow and cut down, but eventually you must stop. I've watched people die slowly and painfully due to the damage caused by years of smoking. Coughing is your body's way to eliminate toxins from your body. Your body recognizes that something foreign is in your system and it coughs to get it out. You didn't describe the coughs, if they're productive or not, but pretty soon you will have trouble breathing because of ALL of the damage those chemicals have done. A study was done on how many chemicals are in cigarettes - there are over 500. 3 pages worth listing them in really tiny font. That is what ends up killing you slowly.

GET OFF OF THEM NOW!

bilroth
medically, smoking is counted by the number of "pack" years an individual smokes. it is computed by the number of packs a day multiplied by the number of years he's been smoking, or the number of sticks of cigarettes divided by 20 multiplied by the number of years he's been smoking. Example 1: an individual smokes 2 packs a day for 5 years, 2 packs x 5 years = 10 pack years. Example 2: an individual smokes 5 sticks per day for 10 years, (5 sticks/20) x 10 = 2.5 pack years.

chronic smokers tend to be more prone to lung infections (pneumonia, tuberculosis, bronchitis, etc...) due to the fragility of the lungs. smokers have more fragile lungs due to the continuous damage and repair being done on the cells of the lungs. think of a marble rock that is continuously being exposed to alternating heat and cold. the rock eventually breaks and cannot be repaired anymore.

usually a few weeks of smoking, coupled with an unhealthy diet and sedentary lifestyle will cause a change in the respiratory function, but will probably not cause any problems just yet. but maybe after 5 years of a continuous unhealthy lifestyle will cause a very significant change in pulmonary function.

to get more detailed information about this go see your friendly neighborhood pulmonologist.

ray a
Depends on the person. Some right away, some never. Your recent increase in colds may be due to other factors, unless you've increased your smoking.

Josh Davis
Every single cigarette does you damage, unfortunately. Lungs are like sponges, with millions of tiny air sacs for transferring oxygen. Every breath of cigarette smoke attacks the delicate membranes which separate them, turning the tiny sacs into larger, tar-rimmed holes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiC6yi0wmUo

Matt A
How long can a person smoke before it starts to give them problems? Well, the first drag off your first ever cigarette destroyed tissue in your lungs.

Plus, inhaling smoke floods the blood stream with carbon monoxide. If the red blood cells have CO2 on board then oxygen can't get on for the ride to your brain and all the other cells of the body.

Now it could be years before you "feel" the problems but each breath of cigarette smoke is bad for you.

teamkimme
Rating
How long can you smoke b/4 problems? Never, it causes cancer end of story. How long can you eat like a pig before you're fat? Sorry but this is a dumb question. Either you want to smoke or you don't. Obviously if you do smoke you aren't taking care of your body.

Worshipful Heart
Rating
cigarette smoke will start affecting you right away- to what degree depends on the person- the genetic make up, strength of immunity and other environmental factors will play a role in how badly and how quickly cigarettes will give you noticeable conditions.
The poisons and chemicals in cigarettes will start to weaken your immune system- if your immune system is already weakened you will be susceptible to stonger allergies, colds and illness a lot sooner than someone who has a stronger immune system. I know someone who smoked for 40 years and never had a problem- he finally quit but because damage had been done during his smoking years, though he has not smoked for more than 10 years now, he may still wind up with repercussions from his habit. On the other hand, I know someone who has only smoked for about 10 years but he has spent the last 6 or so years battling asthma that he never had before he started smoking, colds, increased allergy symptoms, etc. I know several children of smokers who never smoked a day in their life but are constantly exposed to cigarette smoke and are constantly battling colds, asthma and respiratory infections.
Whatever you can do to move towards quitting will be so beneficial to not only you but those around you who do not smoke but are exposed to the second hand smoke.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, November 28, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy