Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Anyone out there found a cure for snoring apart from murder?
My girlfriend is gonna wipe me out in my sleep if I don't stop. Please help a plea from a frightend man....

I`m thinking of taking up smoking... I`m in my 40`s and never done it before..?
is it alright?...

I was forced into smoking 2 cigarettes, Will this have harmed me? If so, how can I undo the damage?

Why People Smoking?

What's a good cure for the hiccups?
I have had them for the past twenty minutes and nothing will get rid of them!...

What will the hospital do if you cough up blood?

Additional Details
lets just say that this was caused by something not because it just started automatically. i know why it is happening but i want to know what the hospital will do?...

Help! i'm super sick!?
i have a Horrible cough, its full of flem. chest pains, with presure. i have a bad sore throat. my voice is super scratchy, and almost a whisper. i have a stuffy nose. and swollen glands right under ...

How do you calm yourself during a panic attack?
I'm going through a really rough time in my life right now and often have moments where my heart races and my chest hurts like it's caving in. Does anyone have any coping methods to help me?...

How many of you smoke, stoped smoking or dont smoke?
i need at least 50 ...

What is the best way to rid of constipation ?

People smoke outside, outside my office door but all the smoke drifts in. I'm a non smoker. What can I do ??

Is marijuana bad for you in any way? Can it do anything harmful to you besides your lungs?

Additional Details
IM doing a research essay on effects of Marijuana....

What if a person with asthma were to smoke?
i used to hav asthma but havnt had symptoms for yrs, my mom says i outgrew it and was wondering what would happen if i started to smoke. ive heard lots of poeple say they hav asthma but still smoke......

Do I have a drink problem?
50 years old, male, 14 binge drinking sessions this year - cannot remember much. Have lost my driving licence for 3 years. Family think I have chronic problem - I think I can control it - I can go 2 ...

How can you make your child stop smoking pot?

Should I go to work today?
I've been out all week because I've had the most horrible, miserable cold. Well, today, I feel more or less okay - just snuffly with occasional coughing and sneezing. I could certainly ...

Poll about Smoking?
Are you a :
Smoker
Non Smoker
Quitter {how long?}
Your opinion on smoking in general?...

Why cigarretes are addictive?
The stimulanting effects of nicotine:...

Whats the best way to start smoking?

Anyone else dreading the smoking ban?
especially in london the weather is so crap and going outside for a ciggie means drowning in the rain!...

jennie s
How do i stop my husband from snoring?
help I havnt slept for months my husband snores and has tried to sleep on his side it doesnt work he tried sprays it doesnt work. help !!! I need new remedies.

austinhross
Rating
Try Breath Right nasal strips. They worked for my wife.

KingGeorge
Rating
Separate bedrooms!!!
Seriously, the surgery is extremely painful with only a 40% success rate. There is a newer type of surgery that shows some promise but it depends on the source of the problem. Surgery is not recommended unless in conjunction with sleep apnea.
Good luck

natasgold17
Rating
Nasal Strips. Try sitting on his face.

Nascar Momma
I've seen some things advertise about this situation. they have stuff out there to help with that snoring. you can look it up on the Internet. just put down on the keyword what to do about snoring?
hope this helps.

michelle
Rating
He might have a deviated septum. They say 14% of people do; you're born with it and it's fixed with an operation. I had the operation and it's not so bad. (I didn't snore though, I had an infection and it was caused because of that)
Oh, a deviated septum, by the way, is when the bones in your nose are either too long and end up growing in an accordion pattern, or your nose was broken or something. It's the bones! They fix it by cutting the excess bones out and it does not alter your appearance.

*Edit: Surgery is probably $7,000 without insurance. If you have insurance I'd consider it. It lets you breathe!

**And also, if it IS a Deviated Septum, losing weight does not help. I weigh 100lbs and that doesn't fix that problem. My friend had a deviated septum too and she snored and she only weighs 120. She had to have the surgery as well. Snoring was fixed.

jmotterbein
Rating
Probably 2 choices, first he may have sleep apnea, especially if he is tired during day and restless sleep.He may need a sleep study to see if he requires a Cpap machine to resolve snoring . (see your family MD) Secondly , a ENT MD maybe able to treat with mouth device or minor surgery , which reduces excess tissue in back of throat that causes snoring.

kelly
look into having his tonsils and his adenoids checked see an ent doctor and have them taken out. it stopped my husband form snoring

ANorwood2B
um...I would try those little pad thingy's that go over the nose...or maybe if that doesn't work I would go to the doctor and maybe they could help with something. b/c it may something that makes him snore and he can't help it.

D Marie
I am about to resort to separate beds! That way I don't have to hear it. I have heard those nasal strips help. Seriously, if it is really bad he should probably see a doctor and make sure he does not have sleep apnea or something.

b_morrow_98
Well, you can try cyanide (just kidding). If he has really bad sleep apnea the only way to do this is to get him into a sleep study program where they will probably get him on a breathing type machine at night.

-FYOP- Ruler Of None
Try a pillow over his ... Alright ... Just kidding hold your thumbs down.

My wife actually snores quite a bit. She uses an over the counter spray, (sorry cant remember the name off the top of my head). Its works fairly well.

Also if you can get him to sleep on his stomach or at least his side it may help.

I know someone who actually got the laser therapy and it didn't work, so be careful with that.

Good luck !! I find going to sleep about a half before he help me. Falling asleep before her usually does the trick !

cruiouschick48
Rating
He can get that special surgery, but then thats expensive. lol
I used to see this on tv all the time, you can go to a drug store like rite aid, Walgreens, CVs, and get the new nose strips, for people who snore. Its easy to put on. I heard it does work, you should try it. =)

el magnifico
IF YOU DON'T LIKE HIM TOO MUCH, JUST PLACE A PILLOW VERY GENTLY, YET FIRMLY, OVER HIS HEAD WHILE HE SLEEPS....
IF YOU DO LIKE HIM, ENCOURAGE HIM TO SEE A PULMONOLOGIST WHO SPECIALIZES IN SLEEP APNEA. OBSTRUCTIONAL SLEEP APNEA, OSA, IS COMMON AND TREATABLE.
EITHER WAY,,, GOOD LUCK!

Mikki ♪♫
Rating
You are gonna wanna get him some nasal strips. They really do work.

oralee67
Rating
It depends on the reason he snores. He should be checked by a doctor for allergys, deviated septum, and other physical causes. If everything is okay then there are many ocd's to help with snoring like "breathe right strips", losing weight may help as well. If all else fails a par of ear plugs for you and a good shot in the ribs for him :) Good luck

Merri
It could be a breathing problem or sleep apnea. My husband went to a sleep clinic, and ended up with a CPAP machine that helps him sleep better and NO SNORING!

FörtyTwö
Rating
Tennis ball on the back may help. Them nasal tape things might work, but I would try the tennis ball first. Changing sleep habits is a cure.

osellius
Rating
ear plugs my dad snores and thats what my mother does, if it doesn't cut out enough sound get them specially fitted for your ears.

Indiana Jones
Rating
The breath right strips don't work.
Losing weight and sleeping on side helps the most.
Seeing the doctor is the only way to address the true cause.

Danelle
My husband snores so loud. He wakes me up from it. I have found that the only ways to ensure myself a decent sleep is to push him off the bed so he wakes up and i have another 20 mins before the snoring starts again or finally, i give up and curl up on my couch, which is more comfortable than the bed, so its like a small bonus.lol. Good Luck. I know how you feel.

JC
Rating
Its very possible he has a sleeping disorder that causes him to snore so loudly. It would definitely have this checked by a doc since this kind of disorder can put a strain on the heart and lungs and reduce blood flow to the brain.

hajgora7
Rating
Does he drink? Take some kind of drug or medication? Drinking makes snoring worse.

Why don't you talk to your family doctor? Did you think of doing that? You can get on a computer, but you can't go to the doctor? What's up with that?

Wife~and~Mom
Rating
He needs to go and have a sleep study performed and find out the true cause of his snoring. Although snoring is annoying...it's a sign of something much more serious. It could be sleep apnea when they actually stop breathing momentarily while sleeping.

It's worth the overnight stay in the hospital and they can prescribe him all types of devices to help with his snoring

OMGWTFBBQ!!1
Snoring happens when air is forced through the opening between the nose and the mouth in the back of your throat. This will most often close when someone is lying on their back. If you sew a tennis ball into the back of his pajamas it will keep him on one side or the other through the night. If it doesn't eliminate his snoring, it should reduce it significantly.

JADE
Rating
It is very important that your husband consult his physician and request that a sleep study be performed on him. He may not only be snoring, he may also have episodes of apnea, episodes where he stops breathing. Prolonged conditions of sleep apnea will result in severe damage to the heart, lack of quality sleep which will affect his activities of daily living, and may even cause an accident while driving or performing some activities.

If he is found to have the above condition, one of the recommended treatments is a CPAP machine which will help him breathe effectively while sleeping and this also stops the snoring. He'll find relief and so will you.

kdltx@sbcglobal.net
Rating
Well if he has sleep apnea then he can get one of those machines where he doesn't snore, but then you have to listen to the machine making noise. I don't know if fallling asleep first will really help because then you'll just wake up by hearing the sound of him snoring. You can try those nasal strips, I don't know if they work or not. I know you probably don't want to, but you can also sleep somewhere else. I hope this helps. Bye. Good Luck.

Nevermore
Rating
Have him checked for sleep apnea

Try breathe right strips

Sleep in another room

Try a white noise machine

Ear plugs

Slug him when he starts snoring;)

ken s
put him in a separate bedroom and he can snore all he wants and you will get some decent sleep

Nurse Annie
It's possible to treat snoring through lifestyle modifications such as losing weight, quitting smoking, changing sleep habits, and avoiding alcohol and sedatives before he goes to bed. If snoring is due to nasal congestion, nasal strips, decongestants, or nasal corticosteroid sprays may be used. If these modifications do not improve the snoring, then it is time to see a doctor.
You can read more here
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/snoring/DS00297

uncle fester
Rating
Replace husband with newer model.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.144
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy