Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Smoke Smell In Car?
I smoked in my car earlier this morning and I just found out that I have to take my mom somewhere tomorrow. What can I do to prevent her from finding out that I was smoking in my car? Will the smell ...

How do I deal with sinus headaches?
Lately, I would wake up with sinus headaches and pressure around the eyes and cheeks in the morning. Then sometimes I'll sneeze a lot lately and get a funny feeling in my throat and I'll ...

Help! My famiy has a cold or flu (IDK), and I can't catch it or else I'll have to go to the hospital. How do
you keep from catching someone elses cold?

I have asthma and everytime i catch a cold/flu, i end up staying in the hospital for 3-4 days.......

I have a soar throat?
I have had it for one week now...when should I seek medical help, if at all? I can't stop coughing all night, I wake up coughing at 3am and at 7am coughing and spluttering, when I finally manage ...

Smoking marijuana?
hey, about 2 weeks ago I have smoked as I do everyday and about 30 minutes later I had this terrible pain in my chest. I cudn't breath and it started to get worse. so i got outside to get some ...

People smoke next door and it's affecting my breathing?
i live in an apartment complex that isn't non-smoking, but the person next door, i can smell the smoke in my kitchen, and this crap is bothering my breathing to the point where its affecting my ...

Snorers, how do you put up with them?
I mean, how do you sleep or cope with them at night with those who sleep in the same room as you, snoring really badly..!!...

14 hour car ride with to smokers!!?!?!?
i have major athsma and allergic to ...

Cough question?
Okay so about a week ago I had the flu. runny nose, core thorat, the works. So now my nose is still stuffy and I seem to only cough like crazy at night. During th day i dont cough nearly as much but ...

Why won't this cough go away?
had a cough for a while now and starting to get worried about it symptoms are i'm coughing up greeny/white phlegm in the morning,but during the day i am fine no coughing then at night it seems ...

I have chronic asthma. My co-worker loves to wear perfume & scented lotions. How do I ask her to stop?
She knows this agravates my asthma & seems concerned when I have my attacks (which are getting progressively worse) but doesn't understand perfumed air fresheners are the same as perfumes. H...

What r some ways to stop smoking?

Waking up with dry/sore throat and stuffy nose?
so it really only seems to happen during the winter or cooler months.

but every morning i wake up with this dryish-sore throat, and my nose is stuffy, and it feels like i have something ...

How do i stop my partner from snoring?

Why cant you smoke in a hospital?
can you not smoke in a hospital because youll blow something up or just because they say you cant for the other patients?
Additional Details

I'm having an asthma attack and all I need is an albuteral inhaler and I'll be fine but no stores are open...
Is it overly dramatic to go to the ER?...

Waht is a TB test?
i had a shot in school today. and it is still red. will it be still red for a while?...

Why do symptoms of the common cold seem to get worse at night?

Additional Details
This question may go to vote because i have a lot of very good
answers....

Wat are the symptoms of anxiety attacks?

My son and his asthma???
how many asthma attacks are too many that i would need to take him to the Emergency Room he is 19 mths ??...

BoOoO
How can i stop my dad from smoking?
Well, my dad has been smoking for 30 years now, and I'm really worried that he might have lung cancer. but HOW HARD i TRY to tell him he just don't want to quit
my sister died 3 years ago and I think that it even make him smoke more than usual.
he smoke at least 10 cigratetes a day
how can I help my dad quit??
Additional Details
I tried alot ofthings to make my dad quit smoking
but it doesn'twork
I was thinking of just ignore him and not talk to him for a few days
but I'm not sure ifit a good thing to do

jennkneefurr
Rating
get him a patch or calqulate how much money he spends each month and he can possibly stop himself after seeing how much money he will be saving...

mattoc
Rating
The truth is, there is nothing you can do to make him quit. It has to be something he wants to do.

That being said, a low-pressure way like saying, "Hey, why not try getting a prescription for Wellbutrin and see if it makes you want to quit? If not, no big deal?" might be a way to go.

LittleBarb
Rating
I'm a little bit older then your dad and smoked for 35 years---much more then 10 cigarettes a day.. more like 2 PACKS towards the end last year when I quit COLD TURKEY.... I had a bit of incentive however to quit... it wasn't easy but I DID it and it's been 1 year and 3 days since the day I quit.. you can show your dad this if you'd like and MAYBE it will give HIM the incentive before it's too late like it is for me. Yep, I have two---not one but TWO terminal smoking related illnesses ... was in 2 separate hospitals for 2 weeks exactly 1 year and 3 days ago fighting for my life ... from Congestive heart failure and pulmonary hypertension... ok they aren't CAUSED by smoking, but they certainly were not HELPED by 35 years of huffing and puffing cigarette smoke.... So, when the doctors told me I had between 2 MONTHS and 4 YEARS to live, I figured if I quit smoking that MAYBE it would extend my chances of living at LEAST for the 4 years....... I decided I would need a CRUTCH to quit and knowing that most people gain weight when they are quitting, I decided to try ORANGES... the big NAVAL oranges... so whenever I wanted a cigarette, I would reach for a big naval orange, peel it, separate the pieces and eat it one piece at a time. The motion of doing all that was SIMILAR to the motions one goes through to smoke a cigarette and it takes about the same amount of time to EAT an orange like that as it does to smoke---So, my brain was conned into doing something ELSE with my hands and mouth as I substituted the oranges for the cigarettes... At first I was eating up to 12 oranges a day and gradually I lowered the amount to now I only eat them every so often.... In the car I would peel a couple of oranges and pull the pieces apart and put them in ziploc baggies and eat them in the car when I craved a cigarette... it worked... I quit, I have NO MORE CRAVINGS and I gained not ONE OUNCE over the entire year since I quit.. Your dad SHOULD quit and I certainly hope he doesn't wait too long like I did... the hardest thing in the world for a person to hear is when the doctor comes into your hospital room and tells you that you MAY not even make it out of the hospital... I was lucky to have escaped death then but my illness is like a time bomb inside me... I could go tonight or next week or next month or next year or 3 years from now... the disease progressively gets work and I have been told it's a painful way to die....I'm NOT looking forward to it and I SINCERELY hope that your DAD can quit so HE doesn't have to look forward to this kind of news for himself..... Good luck trying to get him to quit... it's WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!!! A life is a terrible thing to waste

Holly
Rating
my dad smokes too so i no what u mean. i sry to hear that ur sister died too. for his birthday or christmas or something buy him some nick-a-teen (idk how to spell that!) and write him a note saying i want u to be around for many yearsa and i want u to be there for my (any important birthdays etc that u have.) i dont want u to have lung cancer becuz i love u too much to see u throw u life away. people die everyday from cancer and i wont let u die, not like that.

I hope it helps!
(im gonna try it for christmas)

Malos
What ever you will do it will be nothing , it should be from him.
He should say for him self " i should stop " . Its nice from you to help and to be worry i hope he will understand your worry and your love.

benejueves
STOP TALKING TO HIM ABOUT IT. BY NOW IT SHOULD HAVE TURNED ON DEAF HEAR. WHEN HE SMOKES REMOVE YOURSELF FROM HIS PRESENCE. IF YOU HAVE REMAINED BEFORE WHILE HE WAS SMOKING (hope you wasn't, second hand smoke they say is worse. probably because they are blowing it away from themsellves and onto you.) AND HE ASKS WHY ARE YOU LEAVING THE ROOM, SAY, " THE SMOKING IS REALLY BEGINNING TO AFFECT MY HEALTH. YOU WON'T BE LYING BECAUSE IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER IT IS. MENTALLY, PHYSICALLY AND/OR EMOTIONALLY.

alienzarecool
tell him to chew on popsicle sticks instead. Helped my dad.

Brenda G
Rating
Show him pictures of the impact smoking has on his lungs. That should turn anyone off smoking. Or look up the stats. Every cigarette smoked, takes 7 seconds off your life.

juanes addicion
it depends on how sensitive he is to it...it can be rather personal to them..

but i did this as a missionary...i took a cig or 2 and opened them and poured the contents into a cup of water...as you can imagine it turned black..and i told him that this is just ONE or two CIGS...imagine 30 years worth and think of what that would do to your lungs....

ask him what would happen if he drank that (he'd get violently ill so don't let him) but that is the answer you are looking for and you ask him...i know you are very sad about losing ____(sister's name)..how do you think I will feel losing her AND you? because that is the only way this will end if you DON'T stop. I am asking you to stop BECAUSE I love you..NOT to keep you from what you want. But to free you from this so you can do what you love to do for the rest of your life!

they can pray for help to stop the desire and that can also help as well as patches or nicotine gum..you can go cold turkey but there will be consequences and withdrawal symptoms to that..so be careful and be helpful to him...

my grandfather used toothpicks to wean himself off..he smoked MUCH more than your father does..he also died due to smoking...he had 1/3 of 2 lungs when he died.

ULTRA150
Rating
Lost my mom to smoking.
I tried for years but until the doctor told her she had maybe three months to live if she didn't stop she put them down.
She lived for twelve more years then but sad to say the damage had already been done. It is truly hard to see a love-one die in such a slow death at 65 lbs. she worked herself to death just trying to breath enough air to keep her going, even with the oxygen machine, meds. nothing helped.

john m
Rating
you cant do anything he has to want to quit if he dont he wont. the only hting you can do is tell him how you feel and hope it will change him plus its a hard thing to quit. he has to want it. good luck

Kate J
Actually he is not an excessive smoker at 10 cigarettes a day. Smoking is an addiction, and you cannot make someone quit. You can persuade him to attempt it by your concern for his health, bringing him articles of horrible cancer deaths.

Dukesmom
Unfortunately, unless your dad wants to quit, you can't make him. He has been smoking a long time and is addicted. Have you talked to him about your concerns? The only thing you can really do is tell him how you feel and maybe let him know that there are many products out there that can help. Champix is a new pill that blocks nicotine receptors in the brain, taking the enjoyment out of cigarettes. There's also the nicotine patch, zyban and gum. If he commits to quitting, tell him the two of you can take a class together or find a hobby together. Be patient, quitting smoking is a lifelong battle. there's also a smoker's helpline - you can google it. Good luck.

Tommy Thompson
Rating
I'm sorry, but there is absolutely nothing you can do. The more you say something the more he will keep smoking. My dad has been smoking since he was 15 and he is 58 now. He can't even walk from the door to the back of his house without coughing, getting short of breath, and having to stop to catch his breath. He has been in the ICU 2 or 3 times, coded about 5 times. Nothing has made a difference. It is totally up to the person.

I've had patients that have been on life support and massive lung damage and once they were off the ventilators they started smoking again. Many of them by this point don't stop.

It is sad and painful for us. My heart goes out to you.

Barry M
Rating
Hmm.. difficult question. I don't know how old your dad is.
I'm 40. I'm a smoker. I'm seriously thinking about it. My mum (ex smoker) had a mastectomy due to breast cancer, My dad has breathing difficulties (also an ex smoker).
10 a day is not a huge amount. Not good, but we are all human.
The only way to make your dad give up is for making him WANT to give up. You may think that every word u say is ignored. Not true! All those words hide at the back of his mind. He just has to turn that corner. I can see that corner..

Skate4Life
If you put a gerbil in a cage for 2 monthes, he is fed and all, just never removed from the cage, and you open the door, and he runs to the door, and you push him away, won't that just make him even more determined to leave the cage?

If you have a cat inside for 2 years, fed and loved, and you open your door, and he runs to it, and he gets out, but you put him back inside, won't that make the cat more determined to run out the door the next time it is opened?

If your dad has been smoking for 30 years, and he may have lung cancer, and his daughter died, and he smokes more, and he is being pushed away from a habit he has had for a very long time, won't that make him more determined to smoke?

What I am implying, is that it is your father's decision. The more you try to make him quit, the more he is going to want to smoke. If he thinks about a cigarette, and thinks of quitting, he will be more provoked to smoke than ever, and he will eventually get a pack or two when you have your head turned, thinking he has quit the habit.

I hope this helped.

mechelle
Rating
Get some literature and have a mature conversation with him about the dangers of smoking. Offer to make him a doctor's appointment. Tell him there are new medications that help you to stop. Offer to go with him to smoking cessation classes. Then ultimately he will have to decide what he wants to do. It will be his decision. If the government keeps passing smoking laws, he may eventually have no place to smoke anyway. It is not your responsibility. It is his. You can only do so much. As long as you have done what you feel is the best you can do, you will just have to leave it up to him.

Although he may never quit, keep admonishing him to quit and tell him about the bad effects of smoking. Let him know how you feel about it and why you feel that way. I am sure you have done that already but do not quit. He has to want to quit for him to really quit.

RITA
You can help him only if he decides that he wants to quit . Tobacco companies make cigarettes so addictive that it has been compared to a heroin addiction..only worse to quit .
I would , however , let him know the risk he is taking ; and that smoking is the reason millions are in their graves . Heart disease ; cancer and not being able to breathe ought to be enough incentive to quit ..but unfortunately , it is not .
Also - let him know there are many things to aid him in quitting . The patch is sold over - the counter . It could be a live-saving Christmas present .

DoUbL3_Z
Rating
yo girl, i knoe what ur going through. My dad used to smoke everyday at least two packs. One day my mom and us (my five sisters including me) told him about the different methods he can try to quit...i feel bad for sayin this, but its good to get him to feel sorry your families health if he doesn't stop. Ask him questions to why he smokes. What good does it come from it? Doesn't he care about your health? Or even his own. I'm sorry if im sounding mean, but if it is saving his life, you have to be.

rcoli
There is really nothing you can do to make him quit. I know first hand, my father did die from lung cancer and it wasn't a pretty site. I think that has to be the worst way to die.

The only real thing you have at your disposal is guilt. Tell him that you want him to be around to see his grand children someday. Ask him if he loves you. When he says yes, tell him that you don't show it very well trying to die from cigarette smoking. OH... hang up pictures of a cancerous lung where ever it is he keeps his cigs

Hope it helps

Scarlett360
Rating
you can't. there are chemicals deliberately added to cigs to make them addicting.
Many smokers won't quit until they have a "scare"....which for some is an episode of high-blood pressure, for others it may be chest pain.
He has to want to do it himself, sweetie. That's hard. My own Dad smoked...until he couldn't breathe easily..and then he quit.

kattykattykat
My dad has smoked for 40 + yrs and is having great results with a new drug called Chantix. He has tried many times to quit in the past and had no luck. So far he has drastically reduced the amount he smokes per day and it seems that he doesn't even notice how well he's doing! You may talk to your dad and see if he is willing to try to quit because drugs alone will not cause you to stop- it really works best with some sort of therapy.

(: <3 !
that is your dads descision, not yours. and you can't control him, he's a big boy who makes his own choices about life. and if he wants to spend his life smoking, you can't stop him, no matter how much you want him to. i'm sorry.

however when i was younger and my mom smoked, my brothers and sister would all go on a hunt around the house and find cigarettes, and we would tear them up and throw them out, and hide her lighters. eventually she did quit, not because of that but because of her own choice.

kay_flood
as much as you may want to get him to quit, you can't do anything about it. He has to want to quit, when he does want to, he will. Until then absolutely nothing you do or say will make him change.
I would simply ask that he not smoke in the house as it affects your health, and if he won't even do that much, then leave the house yourself whenever he does light up, or go to your room, close the door and open a window. Avoid him whenever he does smoke to protect yourself.
He is addicted to nicotine, that is an addiction that is harder to break than heroin, and he really has to want it for himself.

cdani425
Unfortunately, nothing.

charc72042's.a.good.cooker
Rating
You simply cant'! There are no words or remedies you can give him. It is something he will have to do himself. If he thinks he has cancer he might continue "cause why not" right?
If you throw them away he will get more, if you pressure him he will sneak around. Although 10 is not that much. He will more than likely become depressed and rely on the cigarettes. If you don't talk to him how will that make you feel? It will only hurt him with no results of quitting so it's a waste of precious time and In a few days you will only give in so what is the point? It is hard to watch a loved one self destruct, but what can you do?????
I have a similar problem with my mother. She has congestive heart failure. The doc told her point blank "you are going to die if you don't quit smoking" but she still smokes 2 packs a day. She just lies to him. It is hopeless I have just accepted that I can't fix it!

I have thought and thought about it, and decided that if I had a grave illness I would smoke to. Might as well do what I like if there is no hope.

snowriver
Rating
you can't force or talk some one to quit, it must be a dicision, that they want to quit. They say it hard to stop, the person has to decide for themselves....

equal_opposites
Rating
You need to realize that you cannot make anyone quit doing something that they do not want to quit. You can let him know how you feel, but being a smoker myself, I can guarantee you that even though he cares about your feelings, he is not going to quit just because you want him to.

Sorry about that, but it would be like asking you to quit eating candy or quit playing with your friends. It's not a simple decision.

robber
You can lead a horse to water BUT,..............................

stormwarnfm
You can't...it's something he'll have to tackle when he's ready.

You have no right to throw away his cigarettes or preach to him like you're holier than thou.

I don't mean to sound abrasive, but that's how he'll, or any smoker, would take your gestures.

He's physically, and maybe even psychologically dependent upon them, and the cigarette companies are making sure they are even more addictive to keep what smoker base they still have.

I'm very glad you are not a smoker, but again, you can support him if he makes the decision, but to harp on it to him will only fall on deaf ears.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, March 23, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy