Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

I had an asthma attack. Dr. gave me steroid shot and prescibed prednisone pills for 10 days. Is this okay?
Never had an asthma attack before. Already taking Claritin D and Nasarel. Dr. said this is okay. I have been sick with terrible nasal congestion for one month and coughing for two weeks and ...

I have asthma.How can i do different activities without always taking my inhaler every minute?

SarahDee
How can I tell if I have pleurisy?

ஜ ♥ Inez/Inescia ♥ ஜ
Rating
Pleurisy, also called pleuritis, is an inflammation of the pleura, which is the moist, double-layered membrane that surrounds the lungs and lines the rib cage. The condition can make breathing extremely painful. Sometimes it is associated with another condition called pleural effusion, where excess fluid fills the area between the membrane's layers.

The double-layered pleura protects and lubricates the surface of the lungs as they inflate and deflate within the rib cage. Normally, a thin, fluid-filled gap -- the pleural space -- allows the two layers of the pleural membrane to slide gently past each other. But when these layers become inflamed, with every breath, sneeze, or cough their roughened surfaces rub painfully together like two pieces of sandpaper.

In some cases of pleurisy, excess fluid seeps into the pleural space, resulting in pleural effusion. This fluid buildup usually has a lubricating effect, relieving the pain associated with pleurisy as it reduces friction between the membrane's layers. But at the same time, the added fluid puts pressure on the lungs, reducing their ability to move freely. A large amount of fluid may cause shortness of breath. In some cases of pleural effusion, this excess liquid can become infected.

What Causes It?
Viral infection is probably the most common cause of pleurisy. Other causes include the following:

Lung infections, such as pneumonia and tuberculosis
Other diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus), rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, liver and pulmonary embolism
Chest injuries
Drug reactions
Pleurisy and pleural effusion are generally only as serious as the underlying disease causing it. If you have either of these conditions, you may already be undergoing treatment for the underlying disease; if not, seek medical attention immediately.

A pleural effusion can occur without pleurisy Kidney disease, heart failure, and liver disease can cause pleural effusion without inflammation or pain.

Josh
talk to your doctor

~The Pirate Duchess ~
Believe me you would know!!! It is the worst pain I have ever felt and I've had 3 children lol

Rueben C
The sample answer to your question (without cutting and pasting from web MD) = sharp chest pain when your breathe in. You may also be short of breath (reluctant to breathe due to the pain) and have flu symptoms.

kmtdesigns
Rating
I use to have it. It feel like when you first have it ; it feels like your having sharp pains in your chest. Pleurisy can cause fluid to collect inside the chest cavity. My advice is to go to your family Doctor.

Steve F
Symptoms
Inspiratory chest pain
Cough
Chills
Shortness of breath
Weight loss
Poor appetite
Pain may limit chest expansion on affected side.
Rapid shallow breaths
Inability to take a deep breath
Itching in sites on the back (near the site of the lungs, but no visible rashes)
Dizziness
Tiredness

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.004
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy