Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Respiratory Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

My bro. quit smoking oct 2006 at age of 30, after smoking for 18 years having chest pains now is it serious?

I have trouble breathing, tight chest squeezing, shortness of breath that lasts a long time is it respiatory??

I want information on children with phenumonia.Not having much luck?
My daughter is 5 yrs old and has phenumonia.Digicnosed today.Want to know the effects on children and what to give her to make her comfortable....

Asthmatics: If you're on preventatives, should you get attacks?
I'm on 3 preventatives: Symbicort (which I started 2 weeks ago), Singulair and Spiriva. I take Albuterol as my rescue inhaler.

Since I'm on all of these medications, should I ...

If you snore does it mean you are sleeping more soundly?
me and my fiance recently got a new matress after months of him complaining of back pain, now his back doesn't hurt, but I'm not getting any sleep because he is snoring so LOUD. He's ...

I have a blood in my sputum. i never smoke. i am 28 f and my chest x ray and sputum test is negative.?
i have small amount of blood in my sputum one's a month or sometime one 2 to 3 month. This started last year. i never smoke in my life. i am 27, i have negative chest x ray and sputum report. i ...

What s PTT?

Is bronchitis contagious?

Any antibiotics that can be prescribed for upper respiratory infection?

Smoking?????
does smoking one ciggarette a day have health implications?...

Is it ok to use cigars to ween from cigarettes?

Cough help?
11 yr old boy coughs all day only stops coughing when he goes asleep,has had pulmonary function test done-xraychest done -xray on his face done all clear thank god im waiting for blood test results ...

I quit dipping ten years ago snuff i started back two days ago i need to quit any suggestions?

I feel like i am suffocating when i run or even just walk up the stairs. anyone know what this is?
i am 15 and play very competitive soccer. but almost everytime i play, my chest becomes very tight and i feel like i cant breathe. it feels like i am suffocating and going to die!!! it is so ...

What can I do? I have very bad sinus congestion?
It started in the left side. so I tried some Afrin sinus spray. it seem to clear it up. after 12 hours the congestion came back, so I did it again. this is the second day and it seems to come back. ...

How does air get into the blood?

Confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
recently i have had chest pains were i feel like they are pulling me apart alive
i tell my docters they say iits do to my asthma
but it hurts to breath but then i start to puck blood they ...

My 16 month old son has a bad cold & caugh-MAJOR MUCUS?
We have taken him to doctors and he was given an antibiotic which he had a severe reaction to and caused diarrhea-he then had a terrible rash, doctor said to stop the antibiotic - he no longer has a ...

EASY Nose question?
Is it true we only breath air with only one nostril(place your hand over both and check). Just wanna be sure im not the only one who breaths with one nostril.

Is shortness of breath normal when...?
I recently quit using smokeless tobacco products and have been having shortness of breath and more specifically taking full deep breaths... I have trouble getting over that hump where you feel your ...

julie
Can anything related to a car accident (airbag front deployed and hit on driver's side) cause coughing?
chest hurt after accident but they said nothing about anything being wrong there.

I am coughing up clear phelgm and sometimes wheezing..

it may be related to taking glucamine powder as it feels like some powdery stuff is irritating my breathing tube...

it started after that..also I was in rain an hour..last night
Additional Details

EDIT I forgot to add that this starting day 13 after the accident and not before.

abominusprime
Rating
there is powder on the airbags that may cause it. it also may cause burning on the skin after the airbag deploys.

Song1964
Rating
Perhaps you need to go back and get a chest xray. Having been in an accident myself, I know that sometimes when we hurt our chest wall, we don't take a deep enough breath where it hurts. This causes the little sacs in the lungs to close in on themselves.....atelectasis. Everyday several times a day take 10 very deep breaths and then cough. If this is causing a lot of pain, in all honesty, you really should go back for a follow up chest x ray.

John R
an air bag comes out with a lot of force and may have caused some bruising of the lungs. This would not show right away on xray so the doctor may have not found it. If that is the cause it will go away if it keeps on go to a doctor again and find out what maybe the causeairbags do come out with enough force that they have killed people and espically small people who are close to the steering wheel

railroad dave
airbag talc like dust is an irritant ,also they ignite a metal azide to make the explosion that pops open the airbag . fumes from that are bad .

Barry M
The following is a discussion from a paper called "Lung injury after airbag deployment: Airbag lung."

It was written by:

Francisco Aécio Almeida, Jr.a, Bobbak Vahida, , , Taine T.V. Pechetb, Peter J. Costantinic and John L. Farberd
aDepartment of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, 1015 Chestnut Street, Suite M-100, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA

As you will see, your symptoms are not that unusual. You should follow up with a pulmonary doctor if they continue. I am providing the link to this site because the woman they saw initially had serious lung damage due to the toxins she inhaled when the airbag deployed. Good luck to you and I hope this helps.

Frontal airbags are held to have saved almost 14,000 lives between 1987 and 2003.10 Airbags on both the driver and passenger sides have been required in all new cars manufactured after September 1997.3 In purely frontal crashes, airbags reduce the fatality risk by 34%.3 Nevertheless, several different types of injury are attributed to airbag deployment and, occasionally, to its rupture. Asthmatic reactions,5 reactive airway dysfunction syndrome (RADS) due to sodium azide (propellant for the inflation of airbags) inhalation,13 and bilateral pneumothorax in the absence of associated chest trauma9 have been reported as a consequence of airbag deployment and/or rupture. To the best of our knowledge, however, there are no reported cases of parenchymal lung disease associated with airbag deployment and/or rupture.

Automobile airbags are designed to inflate upon sudden deceleration. The bag itself is made of a thin, nylon fabric that is folded into the steering wheel or dashboard. When there is a collision force equal to running into a brick wall at 10–15 miles/h (16–24 km/h) or a similar sized vehicle head-on at 20–30 mph (32–48 km/h), the sensor signals the bag to inflate. Sodium azide reacts with potassium nitrate in the inflation system to produce a blast of nitrogen gas that inflates the bag in about 0.01 of a second.14 The bag then bursts from its storage. The gas quickly dissipates through tiny holes, thus deflating the bag. The combustion of sodium azide creates a fine alkali aerosol containing sodium hydroxide and sodium carbonate that is also, at least partly, released into the passenger compartment of the automobile.14

Sodium azide is a potentially deadly chemical that reacts with cytochrome oxidase to prevent cells from using oxygen.1 When it is mixed with water, sodium azide changes rapidly to a highly volatile irritant, hydroizoic acid.13 There are 24 reported cases of sodium azide-related pulmonary toxicity in the literature. Pulmonary manifestations in theses case include dyspnea, cough, wheezing, pulmonary edema, and respiratory failure.2 and 13 Gross et al. reported that asthma attacks could be initiated by the inhalation of particles generated by the normal airbag system deployment.5 and 6 Epperly et al. reported a case of asthma exacerbation and acute sinusitis following deployment and rupture of an airbag.4 In 1998, a patient was reported to develop bilateral pneumothorax with no associated chest trauma following airbag deployment and rupture. During thoracoscopy, whitish deposits and inflammation was noted on pleural surfaces. The authors suggested that the alkali aerosol from the airbag could have been inhaled and converted to sodium hydroxide in the lungs.9 Pulmonary toxicity secondary to sodium hydroxide has also been reported.7 and 11

The patient reported here developed progressive lung injury following an automobile accident during which the airbag deployed and ruptured. She had been previously healthy, and no other possible etiology for her pulmonary disease could be identified. We believe that development and progression of the lung disease in our patient can be best explained by the inhalation of toxic components of the airbag. We propose that this previously unreported entity be termed “airbag lung”.

Doug G
Questions like this are asked and answered all the time here. There are specific problems that occur for some people after an airbag deployment. The chemical reaction during and after the deployment ARE hazardous chemicals. Here is a list of some of the potential problems that can occur after being exposed to an airbag that has deployed

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
Severe irritant. Effects from inhalation of dust or mist vary from mild irritation to serious damage of the upper respiratory tract, depending on severity of exposure. Symptoms may include sneezing, sore throat or runny nose. Severe pneumonitis may occur.
Ingestion:
Corrosive! Swallowing may cause severe burns of mouth, throat, and stomach. Severe scarring of tissue and death may result. Symptoms may include bleeding, vomiting, diarrhea, fall in blood pressure. Damage may appear days after exposure.
Skin Contact:
Corrosive! Contact with skin can cause irritation or severe burns and scarring with greater exposures.
Eye Contact:
Corrosive! Causes irritation of eyes, and with greater exposures it can cause burns that may result in permanent impairment of vision, even blindness.

Check out this website for the EXACT answers to your questions including the blogs specific to many people’s concerns. This site tells you exactly what needs to happen for the airbags to deploy and what needs to be replaced (seat belts & all) on over 3500 cars after they do.
http://www.airbagsolutions.com
http://blog.airbagsolutions.com
http://www.airbagsolutions.com/resources.aspx
http://blog.airbagsolutions.com/archive/2007/08/15/why-didnt-my-airbag-deploy.aspx

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.064
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy