Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Pain & Pain Management
Health Discussion Forum

Why my ear hurts when on an airplane?

Why do people have different pain thresholds?
I mean some folk can stand excrutiating levels of pain, whilst others just crumble at the slightest twinge. And can certain food supplements help with pain tolerance?...

What should I do for the carpal tunnel in my wrist?
I work on the computer a lot, and sometimes I wear a wrist brace (throughout the day). It helps a bit, but not a lot. What are some things you've found to relieve carpal tunnel symptoms?...

Sharp, sudden foot pain!??
every once in a while i get this sharp pain on my foot
it comes on at random moments and is always in the same spot which is on the underside of my foot on that fatty part right under my toes. (...

Strange Stomach Pain?
I have this really bad stomach pain. It seems ok, as long as I don't eat, but I have to eat, I can't starve. As soon as I eat and the food hits my stomach, I get this overwhelming pain, ...

I've had a headache for the past 2 weeks.. help?
im not really a headache person, but my head has hurt since jan.24th and some days its more extreme like today, others its milder but it still feels worse than a normal headache. when im doing ...

I have gallstones!! please help!!?
In the last 3 weeks, I've been rushed to hospital 5 times with severe pains in my stomach and back and had to have morphine to control the pain, (the pain is brought on by no specific food) I...

I have this really bad chest pain, HELP?
I was cleaning house, i didn't do it to fast i took my time, but then I sat down and took a break. In that break I had a smoke. I was just fine, i was on the phone with my mom and then i got ...

What do u consider to be he most terrible pain ???
backache, toothache, headache, stomachache ......?...

Whats the best arthritis treatment?
I have rheumatiod, osteo and psoriatic arthritis and am currently taking 6 Sulphsalazine tablets daily. It's the second time of trying them as I reacted badly the first time I took them. I am ...

How is every one feeling today?

Additional Details
Well didnt feel to good in the moring coz i wanted jus stay in bed, but feel much betta now.
thankz for those who ...

I have back pain that I dont understand, can anyone help?
The pain is on my left side toward the middle, seems to be the muscle thats right behind my left lung. It feels as if someone is applying constant pressure to that particular spot. It's been ...

Pain after miscarriage?
I had a miscarriage at 9 and a half weeks 2 days ago. I had it confirmed by ultrasound and internal examinations.
However, I'm still bleeding and have sharp pains in my lower abdomen, in ...

Anyone know how to prevent cramp?
is it possible to prevent cramp and if not what's the best way to get rid of it or ease it?? thanks in advance!...

What does determine your pain threshold?
i always wondered that becuase for me i have an insanley high pain threshold ive broken bones and not been bothered at all by it and my brother crys at the smallest cut so i was wondering what ...

Foot fell asleep?
What else could I do to stop it, other than walking it off....

Is it true that if you have a broken toe there is nothing they can do??

Problem painkillers?
I am taking Tramadol for severe pain with a smashed up elbow but they r making me feel really sick any tips on how 2 cure the sickness?...

Does anyone else get electric shocks from Tesco's shopping trolleys?
Or is it just me?...

When you have a headache, what hurts ?
Your Brain or another part, component or sub-component of your body ?...

bountifulphoenix
What is the difference between an epidural and spinal anaesthetic?

angie
they are both the same but they put a higher dose in a spinal

srracvuee
Rating
always thought they were the same thing except for anaesthetic strength

sweets
epidural I think is injected into the skin and muscle, spinal into the spine

but not positive

Just Q
Rating
The difference in a spinal anesthesia and an epidural has to do with the level at which the anesthesia is given.
Usually a spinal is given in the back at about the waistline and numbs everything down and takes longer to start moving your legs as it takes hours for the anesthesia to wear off because a prescribed amount of numbing medicine is given all at once.
Epidurals are given at the tailbone area and only numbs a smaller area and recovery is shorter as the medicine wears off faster because it is given in doses as needed to control pain.

Mags
Rating
They are both the same.

jan
spinal injection is a single injection
epidural has the tube running into spine all the time the op is taking place

CHRIS S
Rating
they are the same thing but one uses a stronger anaesthetic i think

bongo
There really is no difference,they are both administered in the same way,but the recovery time with a spinal is much quicker.

twinsters
nothing i don't think, they are the same thing

paulaflory
Rating
both are inserted in the spine for pain relief commonly in child birth, but it can be used as an anaesthetic to the lower body for operations too they just alter the anaesthetic. hope this helps

^crash_&_burn^
The differences between epidural (EA) and spinal (SA) anesthesia that can affect maternal satisfaction are the procedures, quality of anesthesia and postoperative events. Dominantly, postoperative events such as postdural puncture headache, pruritus and nausea or vomiting after spinal anesthesia are claimed to be its disadvantages. However, maternal satisfactory perception to theses two techniques has not been revealed. The authors' purpose was to compare maternal satisfaction regarding the techniques and their outcomes between EA and SA by the developed valid and reliable tool. MATERIAL AND METHOD: Patients were randomly classified into two groups: epidural (Group E, n=56) and spinal (Group S, n = 58). Epidural and spinal anesthesia were administered with bupivacaine, 20 mL 0.5% with 1:200,000 epinephrine combined with two doses of 5 mg morphine and hyperbaric bupivacaine 2.2-2.4 mL 0.5% combined with 0.2 mg morphine respectively. Guidelines for treatment of intraoperative and postoperative events, which might be the confounding factors, were set up. Maternal satisfaction was evaluated by the 11-item, qualified, self-administered questionnaire comprised of 4 common factors. The score of 0-10 Visual analog scale was used to access the degree of satisfaction. Trained personnel performed data collections in the post-anesthesia care unit and ward. The means of the factor and total satisfaction scores were compared between the two groups by Mann Whitney U test. A p-value < 0.05 considered significant. RESULTS: There was no statistical difference in the factor scores between the two groups. The total satisfactory score was 89.48 +/- 9.31 and 90.03 +/- 11.26 in Group E and S respectively. No statistical difference of the total satisfaction score was detected. CONCLUSION: There was no difference in maternal satisfaction regarding to the techniques and the outcomes between EA and SA.

sexy legs
Rating
They are both administered the same way but i think the spinal block is a stonger anaesthetic designed for c-sections , or possibly an op where you could stay awake ... Both are sited in the spine ..
I have had 3 epidurals for childbirth and a spinal for a c-section

Silver Fox
Soozy has it exactly right better than I could have put it.

James S
A spinal is administered with a tiny bored needle inserted through the dura where a small amount of local anesthetic is injected. The block is immediate and strong.

An epidural is administered on top of the dura which is the membrane housing the spinal fluid. A large needle is used to feel the pop through the ligamentum flavum. Then a larger amount of local anesthetic is administered which takes longer to work because time is needed for the medication to soak into the nerve roots.

They are both regional anesthetics. The spinal is a single dose and the epidural can have a tiny catheter inserted into the epidural space so that continuous or repeated dosing can be given.

Nurse Soozy
Rating
The spinal cord and the nerves are contained in a sac of cerebrospinal fluid. The space around this sac is the epidural space. Spinal anesthesia involves the injection of numbing medicine directly into the fluid sac. Epidurals involve the injection into the space outside the sac (epidural space).

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.054
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy