Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Pain & Pain Management
Health Discussion Forum

Does getting your cartilage peirced hurt?
I want to get my cartilage in my ear peirced but i am really scared it is going to hurt. can you tell me if it does?

how bad is the pain on a scale of one to ten.... ten being the ...

I have some major headaches.. what should I do? I have no insurance and they wont go away with anything.. any?
advice? Sometimes I feel like my forehead is exploding.....

What happens if you snort advil or tylenol?
would it kill you from snorting just one pill?...

What is a good way for me to make my wrists stronger?
i need strong wrists for things like backhand springs hand stands baby freezes foot work things like that because i'm a breakdancer any sugestions?...

Does anyone know of a good way to alleviate lower back pain?

Does anyone know WHAT could cause waking up with a violent headache?
I wake up in the morning with a headache. I have had blood work, CT scan, all the testing. Nothing shows up. Can you actually wake up with a migraine? That is what the pain feels like. I had ...

I've been really fatigued and have back pain and belly pain...what's wrong with me?

I've been having back problems!!!?
For the last week i've been having this pain in my mid back on the right side. I don't know what it is but I don't know how to help it. Any suggestions i just want this pain to go....

Best Medicine for muscle pain from exercising ? Is Ibuproferin (Motrin) good?

I always get headache in the sun does anyone else?
every time i go in the sun i get headache and i'm only in it for about 5 minutes what do you think is up?
anyone else get headache too?...

What can I do for my back pain?
I think I have developed back pain that resulted from my right leg being a little bit smaller than my left leg. My pain often occurs at least 3-4 times a week, for a few hours on the days that it ...

Sudden chest pain/heaviness/soreness that lasted 30 minutes but went away..?
I was feeling perfectly fine and great on a beautiful day. I had just picked my friend up, and as I was backing out of the driveway after I reached my arm to reverse I got this sudden horrible chest ...

What could be causing discomfort in my arm? I'm also experiencing back pain, neck pain, and headaches.?

Has anyone had this happen to you in the hospital?
Go in for a severe pain and when the doctor cant find anything they say your just in depression and faking your illness!!!...

Heart or lungs hurting????Cant breath well...!!?
Well while i was sleeping my heart or lungs (not shure what it is)started hurting.Maybe i was sleeping in a bad position...When i woke up my chest was still hurting and still is.I cant take a deap ...

Headaches?!?
I get really bad headaches and i've been to the doctor and he said it's eye strain and tiredness. When eva they come I take paracetamol or ibrofen, i've even tried both but nothing eva ...

Do I have to live with pain for the rest of my life?
I'm in so much pain with my legs every dayy that I beleve that it would be better off if they were cut off,they say that pain is weakness leaving the body,but how much weakness does oneself have?...

Is it true you can get arthritis by cracking your neck?

How can i releive sunburn stinging?

Stabbing through bone?
it sounds like a weird question but how hard is it really to stab through bone. i see it a lot in the ...

lima
How do pain killers work?
How does it solve a headaches, toothache etc? is the pain still ther but something in the brain says it isnt??

K
Rating
Look at this website:

http://www.surgerydoor.co.uk/medical_conditions/Indices/P/painkillers.htm

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4225/pain.html

Yeyinde
It kills pain
(1) you will feel like it burns your wound
(2) then your wound will feel better (not much pain)

thats all :)

startrektosnewenterpriselovethem
Rating
It depend upon the pain killer - there are four main groupings
NSAIDS - asprin, ibuprofen etc - they work by healing the inflammation (injury) that is causing the pain, they also temporarily lower fevers.
Steroids - cortisone - They work by direcly healing the injury, these are long term (several months) and when you are healed you do not hurt
Opiates - codeine, morphiene, etc - these depress the central nervous system (interfere with the pain signal in the brain and in the nerve bundles)
Odd drugs - LSD, mesceline - these are alkaloids that cause you to hallucinate and noone really knows how they stop the pain but they are the most effective pain killers but the side effects can be permanent, and are very damaging

hotstuff15951
Rating
Makes your body numb but still controllable so you cant feel pain

da_hammerhead
Rating
Dull nerve ending.

toietmoi
Rating
OK, Forget the technicality because other people covered it.

If you have a paper cut. The signal has to travel from your finger to your brain. You can block this signal in your finger, your brain or any where in between. Get it?

Dom
Rating
Most decent painkillers partially block or reduce the effectiveness of the signal from the nerves pain receptors to the brain.

mistickle17
All I know is usually the pain I am treating usually goes away and I am not going to give myself another headache trying to find out how it works I just know it does!
Good enough for me!

rwill54287
It depends on which medication you are talking about.

Nonsteriodal antiinflamatory medications, or NSAIDS, (ibuprofen, aleve, celebrex) work by inhibiting an enzyme called cyclooxygenase (COX). There are two forms, COX-1 and COX-2. By inhibiting this enzyme, you prevent many of the pro inflamatory substances (thromboxanes, leukotrienes, and prostaglandins) from being produced. Unfortunately, you also inhibit the normal physiologic processes that these substances produce.

Opioid medications (morphine, dilaudid, hydrocodone, etc.) work by binding to opioid receptors. There are several subtypes of receptors including mu, kappa, delta, sigma, and epsilon. Essentially, when the medicine binds the receptor, it causes changes within the cell to prevent the release of neurotransmitters that are responsible for the pain signal transmission.

Other adjuvant medications include antidepressant medications and anticonvulsant medication that work by various mechanisms.

Other medications such as muscle relaxants also work by various mechanisms in the brain.

The processes are very complex and very simplified here.

Dr Mike
It binds to what is called the mu receptor otherwise known as the opiod receptor, producing analgesia and sedation. It affects the central nervous system by preventing neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters tell the brain that the body is in pain. The pain is the bodies way of saying that damage has been done and needs to be addressed. By taking the pain killer, you are blocking the pain that is otherwise still there. Hope that helps.

Selz
Rating
I've never actually considered it...so I just did a quick search lol:
http://www.thatsfit.com/2006/10/11/how-prescription-painkillers-really-work/

Something about blocking certain chemicals apparently!

Josh T
they block pain receptors often with endorphins. In other words, the stimuli never reach the nerve because the place where communication takes place is being blocked by something. It's like nailing a board over a mail box- you can't get mail. Other side-effects also occur, such as lowered blood pressure, etc. which allows pills to be addictive.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy