Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Heart Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Does anyone want to admit smoking cigarettes will kill you?
I just lost a friend to smoking today (having a heart attack) -- so does that tell you something?
Additional Details
If you are a smoker you will not admit that smoking will even hurt ...

What is the best hospital for open heart surgery in the UK?

OK, this might sound strange but can you stop a heart attack by just breathing deeply?
3 times (once before I got married 3 years ago) and 2 times this year (after my baby was born and just last night) I woke in the middle of the night with what felt like a heart attack. I couldn'...

What is cardiac surgery?

Please Help! My triglycerides are sky high! Why is this?
About 6 months ago I had a lab test, and my cholesterol was about 200, HDL, and LDL were perfect, but my triglycerides were 970! I was started on a high dose of Vytorin, and several months later my ...

Is it bad to be scared of a heart attack at age 19 being a female?

When you test your blood pressure.?
When your pressure kit says you have a low pulse rate(58).Wats it mean?...

I am a mild smoker but i want to quit but cant can somebody help me?

I had 5 bypass surgery done in 98. How long does the bypasses last.?
There is nothing else the docs can do for me except ...

When is high blood pressure dangerous?
is there any risk with high BP readings like 133/97. what can happen at most?...

My heart for a while was hurting really bad,for about a week now and it just hurts bad were my left arm hurts
ALSO WHEN I PUT PRESSURE ON MY CHEST IT HURTS REALLY BAD ,LIKE WHEN I TAKE A SHOWER ,I ALSO GET SHARP PAINS AND UNDER MY LEFT ARM TO MY SHOULDERS IS IN PAIN.I WENT TO THE DOCTER ON FRIDAY FOR CRAMPING...

Does anyone know of an alternative non prescription way of controlling a 15 yr old with ADD?
and the child is also on his third pacemaker with no other limiting factors....

Why would someone have a massive heart attack after a long flight ?
I friend of mind had a massive heart attack after arriving home from Nigeria to M...

Life expetancy after heart surgery?
what are the chances of a person's life expectancy after they have had a quadruple bypass surgery in their mid 40's.
Would the grafts last as normal arteries would?...

Why does a Doctor put someone on a Heart Recorder?
What are they looking for when they put you on a heart recorder? They are keeping it on for 2 weeks....

How strong is the pain in the left arm during a MI?
I'm fairly certain that I have had yet another panic attack, because the Xanax helped with the majority of the symptoms, but I've got a lingering pain in my left arm. It's not a ...

Does high blood pressure cause slight headache and dizziness?

I am on bp medication and would like to stop?
I have started taking one a day instead of two and my bp is fine ,do you think its safe to give it a try.im ment to take 2 x 12.5 pills a ...

How can you keep Cholesterol down without medicine?

Which medical term decribes the rhythm of a dying heart?

dannimuffin555
How many times is your pulse supposed to beat in a minute....?
just wondering...=D

Samarendra G
Pulse beat = 50 - 88 at normal case.

Janet R
Rating

Mrs. Doubtfire
Sadly, -despite all the nonsense answers here, the question is quite meaningless, as nobody can "suppose" anything sensible.

Your (relaxed) pulse rate is quite precisely fixed mathematically according to your physiology. It's the amount of blood your body uses in a minute divided by the amount your heart pumps out at every beat.
Every average adult uses about 5 litres of blood per minute and when you divide that by the 'stroke volume' (which obviously is unique to you) the pulse rate is the result.

So, no matter what nurses "look for" or what anyone considers to be "normal",
(-whether or not it's "in a nutshell" -and god knows, there are lots of 'nuts' on Answers!) your pulse is just as much a unique, personal part of you as your height, weight, inside-leg measurement, or the colour of your eyes and hair. It just happens most people are roughly about 60-80 bpm, but many aren't and they're perfectly normal. Dr. Roger Bannister, the man who ran the first 4-minute Mile, was about 50 bpm.... you can't get much more normal than that, can you.

So, whatever yours is, is normal and right for you. Don't let the para-medics, student nurses' assistants, bleeding-hearts, lonely hearts - and various assorted trolley-pushers "SUPPOSE" anything.

Sarah W
Rating
As a nurse, I look for around 60 beats per minute.
Some super fit people are as low as 40, but my heart beats like a little mouse at 80!

Ashraf
Varies with age. At birth it is 135 - 140 bpm and gets little faster in the first few weeks (up to 150) then slows down to reach between 60 - 100 in adult life (starting from adolescence). This is the resting heart rate. It can normally increase with exercise, stress, fear, strong emotions (even seeing a horror or action movie), tea, coffe, and abnormally in many common diseases including fever, anemia, and thyroid disease. Heart rate will accelerate significantly with strong exercise but nearly always stays less than 180 in adults.

burning brightly
Rating
60 to 80 is considered normal ~~

Rachel
Rating
Target Heart Rates

AHA Recommendation

Age Target HR Zone
50–85 % Average Maximum
Heart Rate
100 %
20 years 100–170 beats per minute 200 beats per minute
25 years 98–166 beats per minute 195 beats per minute
30 years 95–162 beats per minute 190 beats per minute
35 years 93–157 beats per minute 185 beats per minute
40 years 90–153 beats per minute 180 beats per minute
45 years 88–149 beats per minute 175 beats per minute
50 years 85–145 beats per minute 170 beats per minute
55 years 83–140 beats per minute 165 beats per minute
60 years 80–136 beats per minute 160 beats per minute
65 years 78–132 beats per minute 155 beats per minute
70 years 75–128 beats per minute 150 beats per minute

Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age. The figures above are averages, so use them as general guidelines.

Mike F.
Rating
ya it really depends. if youre in good shape your heart will beat slower. if youre totally relaxed it probably shouldnt be over 75

em
I would argue with TICH4592 that it is useful to know a range of normals. I would not expect an obese male/female who comes into the clinic with a pulse of 38. In fact, this may be "normal" for him, but such a pulse would raise my suspicion for other problems. (If he were in CT, MA, NY, lyme disease is a very common cause of heart block).

Likewise, an eldery male coming into clinic with a pulse of 120-130s, may be "normal" for him, but I would doubt it. I would immediately look for additional causes for that pulse rate (hyperthyoid, atrial fibrillation, etc --- all common enough diseases).

Thus, while the heart normally does adjust its rate according to the physiologic needs of the body, it's not perfect. Diabetes is all to common. It causes nerve damage to the carotid bodies, vagus nerve, phrenic nerve -- all of which help regulate the heart's function. In addition, diabetics suffer silent Mi's all the time. hyperthyroidism, lyme disease, diarrhea, dehydration, fevers, the list of medical conditions altering the hearts ability to regulate its pulse goes on and on.

In addition, a patient's INITIAL history is not always reliable. Males are especially notorious for not complaining about symptoms, so sometimes you use whatever clues you have available.

It is useful to give a range of normal values, but as you correctly say, one should realize that for many their "normals" lie outside the accepted range.

Ryan E
Rating
anywhere from 50-100 is fine.... pending sitting, standing, ect.
typically the lower the better, unless you get a little to low..

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy