Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Other - Health
Health Discussion Forum

What are the symptoms that usually distinguish a headache from a migraine?

How old are you?
Just curious to see what the average is x
Additional Details
I'm 23 - 24 in ...

How do you wish to Die?

Is your belly button an "innie" or and "outie?"?

Has anyone read or heard on the news about the 42 stone woman?
Does anyone else think it is out of order that she is blaming the NHS for her obesity, even though they funded her care in the priory to treat her over-eating, and she refused help from the local ...

Whats the best way to get some sleep when you have a tickly cough?

If you smoke weed, does your brain cells grow back?
someone told me it does..but i looked ont he internet and nothing came up?...

What time do you normally go to bed?

Should I have a bath?

Marijuana?
is marijuana really that bad for you? the media projects this image that marijuana is like a "killer drug" which im not so sure about...ive heard its even kinda good for you. basically ...

Can someone help me find a good pillow?
I have neck pain and my muscles are always sore and stiff, especially in the morning. I bought one of those Tony Little micro something or other pillows, I am very disappointed in it and I spent 40 ...

I need to take a drug test in 2 days. I'm a heavy marijuana smoker. Any suggestions on how I can pass?
It's going to be a urine test, which really isn't that hard to pass. But drinking too much water dilutes urine. I need something that's either going to cover up the toxins or get them ...

What if the judge forgot to write down you were suppose to be on house arrest?

Why do we itch?!?
just wondered........

What is the best way to cure a hang-over?

Whats the best way to die?
what do u ...

Should fat people be allowed to go to the pool?

Why do I find it so hard to drink water?
Sorry, I feel really silly asking this, but it's starting to annoy me.

I really can't stand water, for some reason. I've tried sipping little bits from a cup, but I keep ...

What do you think of fat people?
in general...
Additional Details
like 30 pounds overweight or to the point that u can look at someone and say they are ...

Ive been getting headaches (front part of my head) eversince some 1 bashed my head into a wall about 15 times?
they mainly focused on my head and just kept bashing it
and i get them nearly everyday and when every i put too much presure on like my arm it goes numb and im weaker i cant walk for longer than ...

pulchritudinous
What causes the white, half moon looking things at the base of your fingernails to appear and disappear?
And what are they called?

JT's Mom
Can't be calcium related - as my toddler gets them (and he drinks 24+ ounces of whole milk each day)

sweetkcr
Myth says they appear when you tell a lie, but truth be told it is normal everyday wear causing them to appear, it is just wear and tear.

hopegreenie
Rating
Your body produces protien to make yur nails-the white part is also the part that isn't connected to yur finger-that'ts why you can clip it off without saying ouch!!Otherwise, if it somehow something pushed up&off your whole fingernail off your finger, it would HURT!!!

Sweet Honey
Rating
If you've damaged your nail in someway, like smashing it, that spot will turn white

SUNSH!NE©
Rating
dont no

kamikazepilot42
It's funny how everyone answering this question thinks they are absolutely right, yet there have been a variety of answers...

Da_b-baller
cappiliaries if u knew that blood ran through

wise
Rating
You suffer from a iron or mineral deficiency share this with your doctor they will correct it alright! with the proper diet you'll be fine!!

Kamran the Great ©
Rating
varying levels of calcium concentration; not sure how accurate that is.

Mom
I always understood that they are bruses.When I was a young girl ,we beleived that they told how many boy friends you had.

♥tendersighs♥
Kendi has it right on the money.

dsane2001
this is a normal healthy part of your nail. it is where your nail grows from. i.e the manufacturing plant. u damage it and your nail stops growing. it is found in lighter coloured individuals and is usually not visible in pure coloured individuals. but during my practice, i've realised that is not wholly true bcos a lot of people with colour have it too. i do not have it though.

mano
Rating
I am 58 years old, & when I was a hostelite, we called ourselves Boarders, @ Sacred Heart Convent, Lahore, among, the ethical practices, we were taugt to,'PUSH BACK UR SKIN ,TO SHOW THE HALF MOONS', it was a Regular Practice, so,I suppose anyone can have them @ the BASE, through doing that; what other folk, are talking about are, tiny white marks, appearing in the middle, or anywhere on the Nail, which do denote a Lack of Calcium.

mommy 2 special needs child +1
Rating
bah arsenic poisoning causes lines in the nail not moons...dont listen to that guy

likes Eeyore
Rating
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with stress, like you got your finger stuck in a door or you injured your nail some how

Kya Rose
Rating
Don't know what they are called (though I think some other posters did). According to the author of the freaky health-nut book "Survival into the 21st Century", those moons retreating is a sign of poor circulation. No idea if the theory has been tested or not...

thehealingcode
Rating
I heard from my doctor that your nails can tell you how healthy you are. I'm not sure about the white part but I know that the pinker your nails are, the healthier you are.

deerwoman777
Rating
if they diaspear then i would worry,that means that your nails are healthy.

mousepotato
I think that's called the manula (spelling?) and its supposd to be there, the absents or discoloration of it would indicate health problems

teresaannburr
According to a book i read about reading palms- the darker and larger the moon- the higher your metabolism. It says that if white ridges are visible on your finger nails, this indicates a calcium deficiency.

Wisdom_Eternal
Rating
Yes it is called the "Lunula". It is our body's way of ejecting dead cells - by using their basic components for nail production. It is commonly seen when its warm like in summer. It is when your body processes is at its peak. It is not commonly seen during the cold seasons. Those who sees it during cold seasons are those who have a high metabolic rate. Just a food for thought - "Dont worry if you dont see your Lunula, Start worrying when you dont see your fingers"

badgyaljude
Rating
Its called a lunula...see it has luna in the word (which means moon in spanish and thats the shape of it). the lunula is normal happens to everyone . no need to worry doesnt have anything to do with calcium.when i was a child my friends used to say that its the amount of girls/ boys that like you. lol

Duckie
Rating
mine did that when my thyroid went nuts =(..have to take meds now

foxfiregddss
I don't think anyone is understanding your question right. It's not the white spots. It's exactly what Kendi Said. Even though I don't know how to say it, He/She is right.

♥sourire dans votre sommeil™♥
It shows that your nails are healthy, i have them too

Kendi
The opaque, bluish white half-moon at the base of the nail plate is called the Lunula (luh-NOO-luh). Not all fingers have a visible Lunula.
Usually it is easiest to find a Lunula on a thumb or index finger.
The Lunula outlines the front part of the matrix, this is where the nail plate cells are formed. If you ever injure this delicate area, the nail will grow deformed permanently.

This has NOTHING to do with stress or calcium.
In fact,It is a myth that calcium is needed for proper nail health.

Chris
Rating
they shouldnt dissapear...when i went to the doctor a while back i asked her what they were and she said the Luna- thing* i dont know how to spell anything..sorry* and that it shows your overall health....when I got really sick several months back i noticed that they had shrunk.....so I dont know what they are but thats what they do.

yozombiesmama
Rating
they are due to an injury to the nail or from any stress on your body. The nails can tell you a lot about someone's health (doctors will look at your nails during exams).

Criss
Well I know Most of these ppl are WRONG but between these two are more correct
Kendi;
The opaque, bluish white half-moon at the base of the nail plate is called the Lunula (luh-NOO-luh). Not all fingers have a visible Lunula.
Usually it is easiest to find a Lunula on a thumb or index finger.
The Lunula outlines the front part of the matrix, this is where the nail plate cells are formed. If you ever injure this delicate area, the nail will grow deformed permanently.

This has NOTHING to do with stress or calcium.
In fact,It is a myth that calcium is needed for proper nail health.
Source(s):
I am a Grand Master Nail Technician with Creative Nail Design
-------------------------------------
Hathaway2k;
They shouldnt dissapear. They are the part of your finger that is generating new nail. If you've ever lost a nail you will see that part of your finger...it looks like another fingernail under there. It then begins to extend across the nail bed and ultimately becomes a new nail. Sounds nasty, but thats how it works.
-----------------------------------
My Opinion!
I know its a naturally occuring process not because of damaging or bruising ;0)...It's a growing process,Take Care

Kill Yeti
Rating
Its called the Lunula and is a normal part of fingernail growth. I wasnt aware that it appeared and disappeared. It may simply be that you can see it more clearly in certain lights and not in others or under certain conditions. Also it is more predominant on the thumbs. Those people who are relating it to trauma, I believe, are confusing it with white spots that sometimes appear on the nails.

Natz
Rating
The Lunula is often referred to as “moons”. The whitish half moons are keratin cells that have not yet been completely flattened and still have some of their content.  Not everyone has visible lunula’s  The lunula is normally more prominent on the thumbs. The shape of the lunula determines the shape of the free edge/distal edge.

Hope the article I found helps.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2013 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, April 19, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy