Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Other - General Health Care
Health Discussion Forum

Are there any good natural ways to lower really high blood pressure?
And I have 2 small kids so less stress is kinda out. Thanks....

I snore very loudly at times i have been told ,and the only way i can sleep is on my back?
if i sleep on my side my arm goes to sleep and wakes me up same thing if i sleep on my stomach with my arms above my head i've tried desnore spray and breath rite nasal strips nothing seems to ...

Are you rested after 7 hours of sleep?
I am very sleepy unless I had more than 8/9 hours...so i am wondering if people are rested after the standard sleeping times.
Additional Details
I know about the whole 8h minimum time ...

What is the tube filled with liquid in your head thats keeps you balanced called?
please answer fast =]...

How much sleep will i need???
how much sleep should i be getting a night, im 15 boy and what factors can affect the amount of sleep i may ...

Multiple bug bites?
How do you help stop the itch and pain of having many bug bites. My friend has over 50 bites from one night outside all over his arms (looks like hives almost!). Is there any way to stop the itching. ...

How can I help myself to fall asleep faster?
I need to get up early tomorrow, but I'm not all that tired. Is there like somthing I can do or eat or drink to help me fall asleep faster? I've heard like hot cocoa can help. Is this true? ...

How long should i sleep for?
If you went to bed at 2am and got up at 7am you would be tired through lack of sleep, if you went to bed at 11pm and got up at 11am not only would you feel you have wasted yur day but also feel tired ...

Im a light sleeper and i need help?
i wake up to everything and theres a baby in the house so i wake up everytime she cries (my sister is the mother) and its annoying!what can i do to sleep heavier?...

My doctor did an EKG and found nothing wrong, but I have chest pain and shortness of breath?
My MD is saying that it is anxiety, but when I took Buspar, my chest pain increased and so did my shortness of breath. I also have numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. I really am not sure. ...

Is there a reason why i get daily headaches???
i hate having to take advil all the time so i just wait it out...but damn, every day i have a headache!!!
Additional Details
i do consume some caffeine, but not on a daily basis so im ...

Why does having an orgasm make you sleep better?

Which side you sleep?
left, right, ...

Your easy way to wake up early?
any tips on how to wake up easier?...

Is it better to sleep on your back, side, or stomach?
Pick one and why?...

How did YOU quit smoking?
I don't care to hear form non-smokers/X-smokers please. I know everyone knows everything, but I need someone who has been through this problem to help me. Thanks a bunch....

What causes headaches, and what do you do to get rid of them?

I'm so Tired....?
I am always tired, no matter how much sleep I get. Anybody have any idea why? I know I should see a doctor! I am a female, 29yo
Additional Details
I should have said this earlier, I ...

What is the quickest method to quit smoking?
I am hoping to quit within this ...

Is lack of medical insurance a good reason to not go to the doctor even if you KNOW something is wrong?
The answer to this question probably seems simple; however, for me it's not. I don't have medical insurance of any kind, and lately i've had the feeling that something's not ...

Eddy Woo
Whats the different in chewing a pill and swallowing it whole?
is there any reduce in medical effectiveness in it?

Spicy Ketchup
no it doesnot make any difference
but its good that u swallow it coz u wont be affected by its test
hey but its up to u how u wanna take it

banned_glory
Rating
I think it dissolves faster in your system therefor working faster.

Gracie Babey
I chew mine.
And it helps alot better.
like if you have pain...it will go away minutes after.
not really much diffrence.

Kel-Câ„¢
Rating
Chewing a pill gets in your system quicker alot of people do that instead of swallowing

Jana
Rating
Chewing a pill may make it act faster. It also may put a drug that was not meant to touch your esophagus burn it.

If the pill has a hard shell or layers, it was meant to be released more slowly or in a different part of your digestive system.

Some herbs in capsule form can burn your throat if not swallowed whole. Cayenne pepper can be an ingredient.

Junkies often chew up their oral drugs for a quicker hit, but they will also take other crazy chances.

wisdom4u
Some pills are time released. You don't want to chew or crush those! You'll get the whole dose all at once instead of spread out over a few hours.

JAMES P
Rating
Some pills come in a chewable form, others are meant to swallow whole, don't ever crush time released pills, especially major pain pills. If you want a straight answer, talk to a Pharmacist. Most antibiotics are time released and should be swallowed whole. Good luck

meowzie
Rating
I have no stomach, so I am unable to get the benefits from most pills unless I chew them or let them dissolve under my tongue.

Chewing them gets the medicine into your system faster, as does allowing them to dissolve. However many times they taste horrible. For me, especially with pain medicines that don't come in liquid however I have found it to be worth it. It takes a Darvocet about 45 minutes to dissolve under the tongue and tastes horrible, however I never got the full relief with chewing as some would always stick in my teeth.

However some time release medications will not work as well because they are designed to be broken down in the stomach and slowly released into your blood stream.

Always check with your pharmacist before chewing a medication if there is no information with the medicine that states that the medication must be taken whole.

J
Some pills will say not to chew them on the bottle. It is usually because they have coatings that time release the drug to last all day or have ingredients that taste bad or numb the mouth. It is best only to chew meds that say they are chewable. If they are chewable they are usually meant to start working in the mouth so they should be chewed not swallowed.

Sweets
If you chew a pill, you will feel the effects alot quicker. If you swallow it whole..it takes time for it to dissolve and take effect.

dennismd23
Rating
The answer is: it depends on the drug. Some drugs are made to be chewed like antacids for faster effects. Some drugs like antihypertensives are placed under the tongue for faster effects too. However some drugs are coated & are better swallowed & metabolized first. So it depends on what kind of drug you will be taking. You better consult with your doctor or read the product insert for information. I hope this helps. -dennisMD

bonusballs
Rating
well if you cruch up a pill i would expect it to be metabolized a little faster and to release its effects all at once. More surface area means it will be digested faster. If it is whole on the other hand your stomach juices will take longer to break it apart and metabolize the pill. This would maybe reduce the effects of the med and extend how long it works.

Marcus
Rating
Works faster to chew.

Sarah S
Rating
Depends on the pill. I work as a medication administrative aid and I have individuals who cannot swallow whole pills. They will not allow me to crush certain medications and instead with have me mix multiple teeny tiny pills in applesauce or yogurt. A lot of controlled substances are this way. Check with your doctor. You might be able to chew or crush your med in a food if that's something you feel you might need to do.

tonalc1
Rating
Some pills are made with coatings so they have a time release element to them, and are meant to be dissolved in your stomach, not in your mouth.

Ask your doctor or pharmacist about the requirements for different kinds of pills.

Joanie Pony
Rating
You chew or you swallow in ther

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, October 31, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy