Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Other - Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Could evere yahoo member spare me 5 mins. I have motor neurone and if you know anything about it i havent long
to live no cureCould every member say a prayer for me asking the lord to save me why because i would like to see grandchild born and grow up Christine is my name ...

Is it possible for strep or tonsillitis to still get worse the first day after starting antibiotics?
I recently had sinusitis and was on Ceftin for 10 days. The Ceftin cleared up the sinus infection, but over the last couple days of taking Ceftin my tonsils were starting to get covered in white ...

Is 110 too much to weigh that is what my docs want me to be!!!!?

FIBROMYALGIA help?
Please can someone give me some advise on what to ask the rheumatologist tomorrow. It is the first time since i was 18 (now 26)that i am having to face up to this all again as i cannot cope. In terms ...

Your migrane triggers?
My triggers i am aware of are,
1. Bananas.
2. Banana Milkshake.
3. Wine.
I have had a migrane since last night and i can't work out what may of triggered it. What triggers ...

I just experienced muscle twitching on my right thigh. What could it be?
It doesn't hurt, but twitches
Additional Details
I have had it before, but I know someone who had a similar problem and now has MS....

Do I have cholera? please answer i'm scared to death?
I have had a very awful stomachache recently (for 3 or 4 days). I did everything but no result. the stomachache is hetting worse and worse and i have diarrhea without vomiting or even feeling nausea. ...

Relive Constipation ?
I do have plenty of fibre in my diet I down't know why but I haven't had any movement now for 4 days. Anyone help like a remedy I can make anything I can buy ?...

I have been getting swollen legs and feeling dizzy and tired.?
I have been having swollen legs on and off for about five weeks and just recently started feeling dizzy and tired could these symptoms be related....

Is there a site where you can ask advise on medical matters?

Is it a problem if your throwing up blood?

I have had pins and needles in my left arm and hand for the past two days?
This feeling has not got worse or better in this time....

Hurts when i swallow?
I woke up this mornin & found that my throat hurts on one side, and when i swallow, my ear hurts on the same side....my throat feels reallt tight and the hearing from the ear doesn't seem to ...

I bruise easily..and I am tired alot?
ok...I bruise easily...I have noticed the past few months that I have been tired alot....I thought I could be pregnant about 2 months ago...but every test I took came up negative...and my cycle has ...

How do u recover from depressions?
I have a severe depression, I feel hopeless, Isolated and anxsious....

What seems to be the best remedy for intestinal constipation?
... yeah, sometimes it takes me weeks to empty my bowels....

Is there a drug available that helps to stop heavy drinking or is it just willpower ?

If your doctor showed your xrays of your hips and it showed you need a hip replacement what would you do?

Bowel question?
okay is it normal to have mucus when u wipe after a bowel. or even without.. and there being blood mixed in the mucus.. and i know its from that area.. not my period bc wont come untill like friday!...

Its sore when i pee.?
its really sore when i go to the toilet,theres blood too,but im only just off my period,i have been sick,i feel really dizzy,i can hardly eat, or drink. my kidney have been really sore and ive got a ...

chellee
When Morphine is given to someone with a terminal illness, does it speed up the dying process?
I have a loved one who has advanced esophageal cancer, the doctors say, all that's left to do now is to make her more comfortable. She is being given Morphine for the pain. Someone told me this makes the body shut down more quickly. Does anyone know if this is really true? I can't find that info in my online research of the drug! Please help if you are familiar with this situation, or if you have medical knowledge.

Cassandra
Morphine will only ease the pain and allow comfort. The only except to this is, of course, overdose.

gillianprowe
I am on morphine now a small dose. However it does kill the pain but have been on a small dose now for one year and yes I am getting break through pain, so probably end up increasing the dose. I am hoping to continue on the small dose, but fear it will be increased steadily as the pain breaks out. The problem being once confined to bed, with no exercise how do you keep up the all important cardiovascular exercise? Once in bed, well long term the body starts to shut down. The pain takes hold, they have to increase the morphine. Eventually the heart will weaken, after all it is just a muscle and then you reach the platform, pain to bad, increase the morphine which will weaken the heart further and then death will come. The choice be in agony or be pain free, I will take the later thank you.

Dave R
No, but it's generally the last stop before someone passes on. More of an easy, pain-free transition.

docshy44
Rating
Morphine is an opioid analgesic, that means it interacts with the brain and increases the pain threshold, makes pain more bearable and as a side effect causes drowsiness, sleepiness, nausea and vomiting, constipation , addiction and respiratory depression( means the patient will take fewer breaths per minute ). Morphine is reserved for severe pains like those associated with heart attack, terminal cancers, post=operative pain etc,...
Morphine by itself will not kill unless it is taken in doses far higher than used clinically and even then it can be reversed by another drug if suspected.
It is a common practice to provide terminally ill patients with potent analgesics like morphine but never with the intent that the patient will use it to commit suicide. Morphine does not shut the body down, only make the patient calm and sleepy.

Cinnamon79
Rating
The Morphine does not speed up the process, it helps to make it easier on the person feeling the pain.......Sorry to hear of ur troubles......

Jellybean
Google Links on the Double Effect of Morphine: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=morphine+double+effect&meta=
Most of them seem to say that this is a myth.

Moose
This is a touchy subject here. yes, it is given to ease pain but doctors also know it can greatly slow the rate of breathing way down if given in certain amounts and that can speed things up sometimes depending on the illness. However, there is a fine line being danced around by doctors who prescribe morphine for "pain". I doubt you will get a doctor to speak on this subject.

genuine_destiny
Rating
no its helps keep them as much out of pain as possible till they do pass.

mazey1967
Rating
Morphine does NOT speed up the dying process. It will just make your loved one more comfortable and in less pain. I was on morphine after an accident, and it is a pain reliever....but that is all.

gandalf0531 w
My wife died of cancer a few months ago. Anything to ease her suffering was ok with me, and our family doctor is also a trusted friend. I know that the amount of morphine she ws given was just enough to ease her suffering. Even though he is a true friend, he ( as all doctors should), gave her just enough that she wouldn't suffer, yet no so much to hurry thigs along. I think your loved one is getting what she needs and no more.

Rocky Raccoon
Morphine does slow down body processes. If given appropriately it doesn't really shut things down, but it allows the body to move from a tense, painful state to a relaxed one, possibly helping a person pass away when they are ready to die.

desmaven
Rating
My dad died of lung cancer w/metastases to the spine in January. He was taking a derivative of morphine during home hospice. I wondered if that made him die faster because he seemed fine a few weeks earlier, other than the unbearable pain. The morphine derv. was the last resort and we had no choice. He needed that painkiller.

The high doses of drugs did make it hard for him to move around and at the end he was totally bedridden, which I think sped up the dying process. But there was no way around it - he couldn't have suffered with the pain he had. The painkillers were totally necessary. If that meant dying sooner, then that's better than living with the terrible, constant pain that was, in itself, killing him.

During his active dying phase, I tried to find online if morphine/derivatives of morphine sped up the dying process and didn't get any real answers. A lot of people said no, a lot said yes.

But looking back, I realized that there really was nothing else we could have done and it really didn't matter if the morphine sped up the dying process. We did our best to make him comfortable, which was the priority. We gave him love and support. We said our goodbyes, as incredibly hard as that was. We were lucky in that we were able to say goodbye. A lot of people don't get that chance.

I wish you the best of luck!

1anOnly
Rating
Morphine brings the patients to a different state where they can't feel pain

Mistress
Rating
They can give enough to deal with the pain. And they can give enough to help the process along. Sometimes it's a fine line, and sometimes it's crossed accidentally.

But, if your loved one is in that much pain, and death is imminent, keeping her around for a few extra weeks will only prolong the pain and misery. Those extra hours would be only because you can't let go, not to improve the quality of your loved one's life. Maybe it's time to say goodbye... It might be an idea to talk to her and see what she wants, if she's capable. It's a hard conversation to have, but necessary. I'm so sorry for your loss.

kay_flood
Rating
morphine given in the correct amounts only serves to maintain comfort. Like any narcotic, if you give too much and overdose the patient, they tend to die.

daltonpayton
i think the morphine is truely just to ease there pain however once the pain is eased they can relax more which can lead to them letting go

Cherokee Billie
morphine is just allowing comfort. The only way morphine would shut down the body is if the doctors increased the dosage to a toxic level. Doctors are not going to administer drugs to kill someone, it's against the law. Without the morphine your loved one would be in terrible agony. I'm enclosing a link where you can light a candle and say a prayer for your loved one.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, October 25, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy