Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Other - Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Is coffee good against migraine headaches?

Are all tumors fatal?
is every tumor fatal. is there no hope but treatment. and how do you get ...

Losing my voice, any advice on remedies?
Last Saturday (13th Oct) I started with a sore throat, which the next day moved on to be a tickly dry cough and for the remainder of the week remained that way. I kept bursting into coughing fits. A...

My son needs your prayers?
My son called with some bad news--- His doctor told him he has acute kidney failure-- his kidneys are only working at 10%. This happened suddenly without no pacific warning. My question is---- Will ...

Who do you phone if you find used syringes?

Best natural way to get rid of a cold?
I know there is no cure for the common cold.. but what is the best home remedy.. or natural item to relieve it and speed up the recovery process? I want some natural ideas.. I do not want to take ...

What is this?
i have had swollen lymphnoids for 2 months now. im weak, tired easly angered. also sometimes i have a sharp pain in my man berries. oh and my noise has been bleeding on and off for a few days now. im ...

What's the symptom of kidney failure ?

Symptoms: restless legs,irritable bowel,sleeplessness,memor... loss, weight gain, pain, pain. What is wrong?

Additional Details
I have seen a doc for the last 2yrs with no answers....

HELP! Did I blackout??
Yesterday I was at bowling practice and I was standing there about to bowl. All of a sudden it felt like I woke-up from something, and that I had been sleeping. I then felt like I was dreaming. It ...

What does it mean when a guy needs to go pee all the time!?
is there some kind of infection or disease that he could have if it's uncontrollably peeing?!!...

Should I be concerned?
I have had what feels like "acid reflux", for the last two weeks. Everytime I eat something,my throat burns, my chest hurts, and no matter how many "Pepcid" pills, or TUMS I take, ...

Do you really think that donating a dollar at the grocery store will help cure anything?
I hate to be a pessimist here, but I find it hard to believe that cancer, MS or any other disease can be cured by donating a dollar to the cause. I don't think that lack of money is what is ...

Toilet hygiene?
Think off this.....

When you wash your hands after using the loo, you transfer germs from your hands to the taps when you turn them on. After you wash them surely you are putting the germs ...

How do i cure a broken rib????

Best Cure for Bad Breath?

Brain Tumor?
Hello,

I have a best friend, which I love very very much. About two years ago, she was diagnosed with schizophrenia. At first, it seemed that the disorder would take over her life. But ...

What is teret syndrom?

Help! does anyone have insomnia or know how to deal with it?
i think i have insomnia-sleep disorder
i can never fall asleep easily
it takes me forever
i just cant stop thinking at night
does anyone else have this?
how do u deal with ...

I am Amy L and i believe i have bacterial vaginosis, what should i do?
Recently I have noticed sypmtoms very similar to bacterial vaginosis, such as:
-secreting a yellow substance
-fish-like odor

I would like to prevent this disease....please help!...

Jen Hates Evil Empire Starbucks
My vision slowly turns black for a few seconds & lose balance when i suddenly get up from e.g.bed/chair.?

InMyElement4U
low blood pressure. How Do I Know If I Have Low Blood Pressure?

Your doctor can determine if you are having significant low blood pressure. Symptoms of dizziness and lightheadedness upon standing do not necessarily mean that you have postural hypotension, or low blood pressure. A wide range of underlying conditions may cause these symptoms. It's important to identify the cause of the low blood pressure so the appropriate treatment can be given.

First, your doctor will look at your history, including your age, your specific symptoms and the conditions under which the symptoms occurred. Then he or she may perform repeated evaluation of your blood pressure and pulse rate after you've been lying down for at least five minutes and after you stand quietly for one minute and for three minutes to look for postural hypertension.

Other tests, such as an ECG to measure heart rate and rhythm problems and an echocardiogram (an ultrasound test to visualize the heart) may be performed, along with blood tests to look for anemia or blood-sugar problems.

More sophisticated home ECG monitoring (a Holter monitor or event monitor) may be necessary to check for heart problems that occur intermittently.

An exercise stress test or electrophysiology test (EP test) may also be helpful.

Serious forms of postural hypotension may require a test called a tilt table test. This test evaluates the body's reaction to position and changes in position. The person lies on a table and is strapped to it, then the table is raised to an upright position for up to an hour. Blood pressure, heart rate and symptoms are recorded. Often medications are given to help guide treatment.

What Are the Treatments?

If you have an underlying medical problem that causes low blood pressure, seek treatment for the underlying condition. For many people, chronic low blood pressure can be effectively treated with diet and lifestyle changes.

Initially, your doctor may counsel you to increase your blood pressure by making these simple changes:

* Eat a diet higher in salt.
* Drink lots of non-alcoholic fluids — a minimum of eight glasses per day. Sports drinks that are high in sodium and potassium are recommended, especially during exercise or in hot weather.
* Consume extra salt and drink more fluids during hot weather and while sick with a viral illness, such as a cold or the flu.
* Have your doctor evaluate your prescription and over-the-counter medications to identify any that may be causing your symptoms.
* Get regular exercise to promote blood flow.
* Be careful when rising from a prone or sitting position. To improve circulation, stretch your feet back and forth before standing up. Then proceed slowly. When getting out of bed, sit upright on the edge of the bed for a few minutes before standing.
* Elevate the head of your bed at night by 5-20 degrees by placing bricks or blocks under the head of bed.
* Avoid heavy lifting.
* Avoid straining while on the toilet.
* Avoid prolonged exposure to hot water, such as hot showers and spas. If you get dizzy, sit down. It may be helpful to keep a chair or stool in the shower in case you need to sit; to help prevent injury, use a chair or stool that is specifically designed for showers or bath tubs.
* To avoid problems with low blood pressure after meals, try eating smaller, more frequent meals and resting after eating to lessen episodes of dizziness. Avoid taking low blood pressure drugs before meals.
* If needed, use elastic support (compression) stockings that cover the calf and thigh. These may help restrict blood flow to the legs, thus keeping more blood in the upper body.
* If tolerated, drink coffee in the morning. The amount of caffeine normally found in two cups of coffee (250 mg) can decrease low blood pressure in young adults and can be safely used by older adults as well. If these measures don't lessen the problem, you may need medication.

The following medications have proved effective in treating low blood pressure:

* Fludrocortisone. Fludrocortisone is a mineralocorticosteroid that appears to be effective for most types of postural hypotension, or low blood pressure. It works by promoting sodium retention by the kidney, thereby causing fluid retention and some swelling, which is necessary to improve blood pressure. But this sodium retention also causes a loss of potassium. Therefore, when taking fludrocortisone, it's important to also take adequate amounts of potassium each day. Fludrocortisone has none of the anti-inflammatory properties of cortisone or prednisone and it is not a muscle-building agent.
* Midodrine. Midodrine activates receptors on the arterioles (smallest arteries) and veins to produce an increase in blood pressure. Studies show that it is effective in improving standing blood pressure in people with postural hypotension related to nervous system dysfunction, such as those with Shy-Drager syndrome.

Medically reviewed by Michael Aronson, MD, July 2005.

SOURCES: Goldstein D.; et al. "Orthostatic Hypotension From Sympathetic Denervation in Parkinson's Disease," Neurology 2002, vol. 58 pp 1247-55. Thaisetthawatkul P and others, "Autonomic Dysfunction In Dementia With Lewy Bodies." Neurology 2004, vol. 62, pp 1804-1809.

Autonomic Failure: A Textbook of Clinical Disorders of the Autonomic Nervous System (Oxford Medical Publishers by Christopher J. Mathias (editor) 4th edition Jan. 2003

The Basics | Symptoms | Detection & Treatment

© 2005 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

molly
Rating
That might be a Vitamin A deficiency symptom.

jibbers4204
I am not sure why that is happening...i would go see a doctor ...that sounds serious and i wouldnt play around. Good luck i hope u feel better soon!

dmdoc
This is probably orthostatic hypotension, or a sudden drop in blood pressure when you get up.

However, it would be a good idea for you to get a medical checkup, including an EKG (heart trace) test, cholesterol check and blood tests for anemia too.

rackaldd
that happens to me when i have the flu or a cold or somthing. I would go to a doctor though, it could be somthig serious.

Curious ♥
Rating
that happenes to me too i think its cause ur getting up to fast after having sat for a while try getting up slowly but when it happens just close ur eyes and wait till u feel better...thats wat i do

durb1215
go to the doctor tell him about it and he might send you to an eye doctor ..you really should go

auto_racing77
Rating
Hey I had this problem too!
You need to exercise more. Even 15 minutes every morning will do some difference. And also eat right. Eat whole wheat bread and cereals or anything that has fiber. Fiber helps unclog your blood arteries. Also garlic or green tea does that too. They both have nitrous oxide.

I think my problem was that my heart was too weak. Now I m walking all the time (my university that I m going is big so I have to walk a lot of distance to go between classes).

Good luck! I hope I helped!

A better idea though is to go to a doctor too. You never know. It's better to check up yourself!

lovebug6912
It is a somewhat common thing, it is a head rush. When you stand up too fast, you become light headed and the blurred vision and loss of balance is the result.

Mr. Curious
Rating
You have iron poor blood, you are anemic. It is caused by blood leaving your head. I'll bet:

1. You rarely exercise.
2. Eat poorly with few vegetables
3. Do not take an iron suppliment with your meals
4. Smoke

philbertpheinstein
Rating
You need to exercise your lungs more. Find something fun to do that requires heavy breathing.

mano
If this recurs, TOO OFTEN, it could be, either due to HYPOGLYCAEMIA, OR a SUDDEN fall in BLOOD-PRESSURE.

geses
Rating
dmdoc is right. Most likely your symptoms are from orthostasis. When a person stands, their autonomic nervous system signals the blood vessels to constrict some to prevent a drop in blood pressure that occurs as a natural physiologic effect (secondary to blood pooling due to gravity). When your cardiovascular system in general does not respond adequately to a change in position, most commonly rapid transition from lying or sitting into standing, essentially you can think of it as a temporary inadequate blood pressure to perfuse the brain fully.

It's probably benign, but you should check with your physician to rule out something more serious. If you're otherwise young and healthy, some of the tests that dmdoc referred to might be over zealous.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, July 31, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy