Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Other - Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

How do i keep off it?
recovering alcoholic who has slipped once or twice ..i need some help to get threw xmas again ... no detox pills this year unless i admit defeat an go back 2 my gp ........

In mine and other peoples experience , symptoms of an illness seem to be worse at night...?
Is this coincidence or a medical fact, is there any explanation to this....

I have insomnia. What can I do to get sleepy?
I take the kind of medication that I can't add sleeping pills....

What disease did cured ham actually have?

I have noticed a small, dot sized light as I move my eye?
The other evening, I was standing on my front porch, and every time I blinked, I noticed this little tiny pin hole sized light, or white dot darting in whatever direction I moved my eye. At first I ...

Does anyone else know what I mean when I say....?
That licking a battery tastes like the smell of tube trains? Do you have a taste that reminds you of a smell or vice versa?...

What is the cure for lazyness for a child?

Chronic fatigue syndrome/m e?
My husband has been diagnosed with this and we would love to hear from other people with this .no wise cracks .it can ruin your life ...

What are the benefits to Fasting?

Additional Details
Here's a link to the Master Cleanser.

http://www.geocities.co....

What are your thoughts on Drug Addiction?
Please tell me your opinion on drug addiction! As a person who has battled it for a while and now clean and sober I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions... Is it a disease? Do you stero type ...

Which is more dangerous....?
viral or bacterial meningitis?

and what does meningitis mean?...

Pain when urinating?
since a coupleof days ago when i urinate iget loads of pressure down below it is really painful i dont think it is a urine infection cause that normally stings and you urinate alot more than usual ...

EYE issues......... going blind???????? BLURRY Vision a lot.......?
When i read text on the computer, or look at it very long my vision gets very blurry and it gets difficult to visually concentrate on anything thereafter...... i also sometimes feel like things dont ...

My x-ray test of my stomace has a dark circule size of a orange what is it?

What do you think it is?
OK FIRST OFF YES I AM CALLING AND MAKING A DR APPT TOMORROW MORNING SO DON'T SAY TAKE HIM TO THE DR!!
my 3 year old had diarrhea this morning, then developed a cough not just a cough a bad ...

What else can I do for this migrainne tonight? I have Migraine syndrome to ...?
begin with. I took my prescriptions and it's been 4 hours, I have it really bad and even this time the medicine didn't curb it. All about sick to my stomach with it right now, even took 2 ...

Stabbed with lead pencil?
i was accidently stabbed with a lead pencil yesterday, and now i have a tiny hole in my palm..
will i get poisoned??...

Hey howcome when u are schedule to have surgery that day?
Howcome the doctors always tells u not to eat or drink after midnight? What would happened if u do? Please explain....

How does cocaine affect teenagers from 13 to 18?
how does it affect all males and ...

I have a sore throat...?
What medicine should I take? (I'm only 12)...

shrood
My blood test results have come back to my doctor and his sectary has read the results to me over the phone?
She told me my cholestoral was 4.9 and that it should be under 4, i always thought if it was under 5 it was ok.Am i not right about this.She also said that i was to limit the alcohol and painkiller intake because of my liver profile result.I only drink 7 or eight cans of beer over a weekend of three nights and i cant remember the last time i had to take painkillers for anything.So can anyone explain to me how i can get a result like this and if it is serious.I suffer with ulcerative coilitis and take medication for this daily but they are not painkillers?

sursumcorda
I'm assuming that the cholesterol number is the ratio of total to good. The average is 4.5, so yes, you do want it to be under 4 in order to be better than average. If you're not on pain killers, then you are already limiting use and your alcohol consumption is not excessive. Obviously there is something a little off in your liver profile, though, for her to make these blanket recommendations. You don't say what meds you're on for the colitis. If it's a steroid, that can affect your test results. My advice is to visit your physician's office and get a copy of your test results to keep in a file at home, so you can keep up with any changes. Overall, nothing looks serious from the information you provided. Just try to get more exercise and maybe take an omega 3 supplement to increase your good HDL.

Cindi W
I had a whole bunch of blood work done and I called the doctor's office and had it sent to me. it is your test, you are entitled to see it.
I then made an appointment to go over the results with the doctor.
The reason that you get the test beforehand, is you highlight the abnormal results and ask him what this means.
I've actually had clerks/techs read results over the phone to me. But, that was long before HIPPA rules. Very unethical for her to be discsussing pain meds, alcohol.
When you go to see your doc, casually mention this to him. If he cares, she will be spoken to.

PaulineB
Rating
Was the blood test for Azathioprine? Also, did you ask the secretary to read you the results? Secretaries aren't meant to give us the results, just the doctors as they have the medical knowledge to back up the reults which a secretary hasn't got.

Choqs
When I had tests run my bad cholestoral was 2 and my Dr. said he could not remember the last time he'd seen that low and most reading were between 5 and 10.
Some medications combined with alcohol can really put your liver under stress. The secretary may have made a mistake when she was referring to painkillers. I'd want to hear it from my Dr. though not his secretary so I'd make an appt.

Dee L
I would suggest that you make an appointment to discuss this with your GP as his secretary is not qualified to advise.

Personally I think it is extremely unprofessional for this phone call to have happened in the first place.

However I don't think that it appears too serious as the doctor would have booked an appointment straight away if there was anything really worrying about your results.

annie6
Rating
You need to see your doctor

Doodlebug
Rating
First of all, were they reading YOUR blood test results? Maybe they were reading someone else's to you by mistake...
If you are concerned, then by all means, make an appointment with the doctor so that you and the doc can go over these results...
If you sit in the office, then you will have the chance to express any concerns and your doctor can explain everything to you in detail...
You might want to look up the results on the web...that way, you could have a good idea of what is bad or good as far as results...
Sometimes, with lab results....the patient may not be as healthy as some other patients..and all of this should be taken into consideration when explaining the results...
If there are problems with your liver, you might want to ask the doctor to do more extensive tests...
Your best bet would be to talk with the doctor..it's better to be safe than sorry..right?

bookworm
Rating
Go see the doc.......get the results first hand off the man who is paid to tell you and who also interprets the results. The secretary has broken two rules......1...Never ever give out medical history of a patient over the phone......how does she know who you are. ,,,,,and 2. She is not qualified to give an opinion on medical facts..What would you have done had she said you had a cancer ! ! ? ? She has violated the Data Protection Act by giving an unknown person information concerning another person over the phone. The Freedom of Information Act covers this but you have to request it formally, as in a letter...I would be suprised if the secretary is still working for the GP after this.

mizzmamma
Rating
she really shouldn't have told you this information over the phone, i would suggest you made an appointment with your GP and discuss your results to him/her,

tattyuk75
Rating
The secretary is not qualified to be giving you any lifestyle advice based on your results. One of the reasons being that you obviously have questions based on what she rather ill-advisedly told you, leaving you worrying.

Speak to your doctor, who will be able to put you in the picture as to what the implications and choices you have relating to your recent tests.

Secretarys are qualified to type and do other office stuff, not to give medical advice, I'd complain as well when you see your doc.

tinkerbell
Go back and talk with your GP face to face and ask for these results to be explained to you.
And tell them you don't appreciate the fact that you were told by a receptionist.

petlover
Sometimes it is not just one test result but a group of results that indicate a problem. A combination of elevated liver enzymes and cholesterol indicates that you need to not challenge your liver. Even a small amount of alcohol affects the liver. And the common painkiller acetomenophen or Tylenol should NEVER be taken by someone with a compromised liver. This particular painkiller is toxic to the liver. It is contained in many over the counter and prescription drugs and is considered an anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller.

As far as the "secretary" calling the results - most dr offices don't use secretaries anymore. They use medical assistants that have some medical training.

Also - for lab tests - each lab must establish their own normal range for each test. The normal range can vary depending on the instrumentation and methodology of the test. A 4.9 from one lab might be fine and a 4.9 at another might be elevated.

So - be kind to your liver - limit the alcohol, never drink and take painkillers at the same time, and watch your diet. Prevention is the key for wellness. And see your doctor again for followup tests.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy