Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :
   Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Other - Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

 Point of smoking...?
jw wat the point of smoking is...like i can understand like smoking weed and stuff like that cuz it gets u high...but wat does smoking do besides like ruining your lungs and stuff......

 Finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and have no idea how to deal with it. Can anyone offer advice?
I am a 19 year old , about to turn twenty female. I am a college student also. For about the past six months i have had constant pain all over my body. It feels like i need to stretch 24/ 7 to get ...

 Is it ok to pee even if you are already a teenager?
Like you were in the age of 18 and above?...

 Whats frequent increased memory loss a sign of?
I've noticed in about the past month my short term memory has gotten abysmal. I constantly am going into another room to look for something, and before I get in there I forgot why I went. Or I�...

 How do you get rid of a steaming hang over.?
Wine inflicted....

 Am I sick or something else?
For the past two weeks I've woken up with my right eye all red, veiny, and itchy and then for the past three days I've had a runny/itchy nose. Yesterday my right eye started burning, the ...

 Children and autism?
How come it seems like a lot more kids nowadays have autism? I'm 25 and when I was growing up I didn't no anyone who had this or heard much about it. But now it seems like every other kid ...

 How do YOU battle insomnia?
I go through fits of insomnia: at times, over-the-counter sleep medication can help, but often enough it doesn't. I'll ache with tiredness, but still be unable to fall asleep. How do you ...

 If one splits out blood along with mucus,what is the defect?.what may be the reason for it?

 Could evere yahoo member spare me 5 mins. I have motor neurone and if you know anything about it i havent long
to live no cureCould every member say a prayer for me asking the lord to save me why because i would like to see grandchild born and grow up Christine is my name ...

 Is it possible for strep or tonsillitis to still get worse the first day after starting antibiotics?
I recently had sinusitis and was on Ceftin for 10 days. The Ceftin cleared up the sinus infection, but over the last couple days of taking Ceftin my tonsils were starting to get covered in white ...

 Is 110 too much to weigh that is what my docs want me to be!!!!?

Please can someone give me some advise on what to ask the rheumatologist tomorrow. It is the first time since i was 18 (now 26)that i am having to face up to this all again as i cannot cope. In terms ...

 Your migrane triggers?
My triggers i am aware of are,
1. Bananas.
2. Banana Milkshake.
3. Wine.
I have had a migrane since last night and i can't work out what may of triggered it. What triggers ...

 I just experienced muscle twitching on my right thigh. What could it be?
It doesn't hurt, but twitches
Additional Details
I have had it before, but I know someone who had a similar problem and now has MS....

 Do I have cholera? please answer i'm scared to death?
I have had a very awful stomachache recently (for 3 or 4 days). I did everything but no result. the stomachache is hetting worse and worse and i have diarrhea without vomiting or even feeling nausea. ...

 Relive Constipation ?
I do have plenty of fibre in my diet I down't know why but I haven't had any movement now for 4 days. Anyone help like a remedy I can make anything I can buy ?...

 I have been getting swollen legs and feeling dizzy and tired.?
I have been having swollen legs on and off for about five weeks and just recently started feeling dizzy and tired could these symptoms be related....

 Is there a site where you can ask advise on medical matters?

 Is it a problem if your throwing up blood?

How can you make an alcoholic get treatment, if they don't think they have a problem?

Additional Details
she's my mother

johN p.
That is almost impossible. They first have to admit to being one. That's the biggest part of the battle. Once they do realize it, then they have to WANT to work on it. I quit drinking 2-1/2 years ago. When I stopped, it was unplanned. I just didn't feel like drinking.

The program of alcoholics annonymous has your answer. They say that while it is difficult to convince someone they need help, if you enlist the help of another recovering alcoholic, you have a much better chance. No amount of talking about it from a friend or loved one usually will help, but another alcoholic can generally win the confidence of the man who still suffers in an hour or less. By disclosing his story, the recovering man can show the man that they are the same, and life can be better if he is willing to take certain steps. Contact AA through a local church or search the web for local meeting lists and numbers. As an alcoholic myself, I feel your pain. There is hardly anything as sad, or painful to watch, as a man in the grips of that cunning, baffling, and powerful alcohol.

The answer's in the question. If they don't think there's a problem, you're not going to be able to do too much for him or her. The drinking will always be rationalized and justified on something else, on something outside the alcoholic. Or else, he or she will shut you out completely.

If it is a disease, and it seems like it is, the best you can do is wait for him or her to realize there's a problem and go from there by getting into a treatment facility or going to AA meetings or whatever.

You might have to just take care of yourself, and let the alcoholic go until he or she bottoms out.

Handsome Devil
you cant until you convince them they have a problem. put the phone # on their fridge.

record him when he is drunk... then let him see how destructive and bad it is.... do it over and over until he gives up and goes to an AA meeting or something...

If the person is under 18 then you can make take classes but if they are over 18 then there is no way that you can "make" them get treatment. Sorry to inform you of this but there's not much you can do except keep talking to them.

In most states you can do what they call Baker act them but this will involve more than just you. You will more than likely need a parent or other family member. For information in your area call your local alcohol abuse center most hospitals can give you the number. Also there is a program available for you called Alanon that is tied in with AA that will put you in contact with others that deal with the same situation. GOOD LUCK AND TAKE CARE

Clown Knows
You can't. No one can force someone to improve their thinking and behavioral processes, they have to first want to change. Most alcoholics don't want to change and stay alcoholics.

I do what I want..
You really can't, they have to hit "rock bottom" in order to realize they have a problem, then you can be there to help.

You cannot, the first step is that person realizing they have a problem and need help! If they cannot do that, noone could help them! You could explain to them their behavior and what it is doing to them and everyone around them! Include all family and friends for an intervention! But if they can't see it, they will not except help!

You can in New YOrk State.....Only a judge has to order it.

It just takes time. You can't force treatment upon some one if they don't want it. It's terribly hard to see a loved one go through that kind of thing, but until they see the error of their ways, there is nothing you can do. I hope with all my heart that who you are asking about gets the realization they need. And then the help they need.

Jilli Bean
You can't. Even if you force her it won't stick because she has to be committed to it 100%. She has to hit her own bottom, and although she may be a mess, she hasn't hit her bottom yet. If she's really a disaster right now you can stage an intervention. You should seek professional help with that if that's the road you go down.

Good luck to you and your family. I know personally that this can be so very difficult to deal with.

You can't really; They have to want to quit, or they will never succeed.

In GA and I think FL, A family member can have someone committed to a mental hospital, but I don't know if that would apply for Alcohol treatment.

well, we know that if someone doesn't want help, or see that they need help, we can't force them. however, there are ways to help them realize the problem and see how it affects others. any chance you could help identify how his/her drinking has a negative impact on others?

Simple... You can't! Until they decide to get help they will remain ill!

kendell c
you cannot until they are in trouble with the law. The courts can force them. Rarely can you do this on your own. You can contact alcoholic support groups that can tell you how to have an intervention but still you cant force them to get help.

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Monday, February 8, 2016
Terms of use - Privacy Policy