Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Other - Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Is it true that they won't do liver transplants on alcoholics?

I'm afraid I may be really sick.?
About 2 days ago, I had terrible pains around ,my ribs and in my legs. Also my stomach had hurt alot. Then yesterday, I felt ok but not the best. Now today, I havn't eaten like anything, and my ...

Should overweight people,and smokers be given the same right to medical treatment as everyone else?
After all they have paid their national insurance like us
Additional Details
Also people who have other addiction problems!...

: Name a major disease associated with cigarettes.?

What is the most deadly disease??
heath , body affect , blood , blood cells , heart , ...

What is the most painfull thing thats ever happened to you?

Tell me why I should quit smoking again?

Is an epileptic allowed to drive after having a fit whilst driving?
i know of a person who has had a lucky escape whilst driving with a passenger who stopped the car with no injury to anyone due to an epilectic fit. They are still driving !- the police were called - ...

I feel warm all over, what could it be?
Is it love or did I just pee myself reading some silly answers?...

Smoking What are the risks....?
What could be the effects on a person who has smoked 10 -20 full strength cigarettes everyday for 19 years?
Additional Details
sorry I should have added that my partner smoked for this ...

Hiccups? any cures?
do u have any good cures for the hiccups tha acctually WORK...

Since crabs need a warm place to live, if I pack my lower extremities with ice will that kill them? I don't..
have any money to buy Rid-X, etc....

Today I went to the hospital thinking that I would end up staying there, but instead the doctor gave me some?
percription for my gallstones and told me to come back for another two months. I mean don't you guys think that they should have kept me there in the emergency room instead of sending me home in ...

How to get rid of head lice?
When I was little of course like every kid they catch it at school. It took me and my mom forever to get rid of it. I don't recall what worked cuz I wasn't that old. But now that I am ...

Does anyone else absolutely "HATE" waking up in the morning?
i hate it with a passion, waking up is so ...

I haven't had a bowel movement in two weeks and 4 days, is this normal?
Seriously I am 18 and I just can't ...

What do you think is the worst thing our generation suffer from, serious answers please guys!?

Additional Details
The reason i asked this question is that a question earlier suggested that second hand smoke was one of the worst things our generation was suffering from and i ...

Lump in armpit?
I have been lifting ballast and now i have lump in armpit.its painfull and growing.what is going on in my armpit?...

Rectal bleeding?
Sorry if TMI, but yesteday I came home from dinner and tried to have a bowel movement (which I did) and when I wiped it was red. Then I noticed in the toilet it was pretty red too. I just figured ...

Low blood sugar at 13?!?
okay so todayy i looked up Low blood sugar cause my track coach askd me if i had low blood sugar and now i think i mite! i saw on some websites that some symtoms of low blood sugar are cold greyish ...

has no name
Can u get liver damage from just drinking beer?

satirical_4_irus
Rating
yes

zaphodsclone
What amazes me is that some dolt keeps giving thumbs down to the correct answers.

Alcohol in any form needs to be processed by the liver and if you drink enough of this toxin in any form it will damage your liver.

joker
If that is all you drink or ingest into your body. I did it.

starynight39
yes b/c beer contains alcohol which can damage your liver.

bspitz89
Eventually any type of stedily drinking alcohol will give you liver problems... the liver filters everything thru it's enzymes and alcohol is not so great for the liver

redpeach_mi
yes, it contains as much alcohol as anything else does.

gsschulte
yes the damage comes form your liver filtering out the alcohol

bibliophile31
Well, of course you can! Your liver can't tell the difference between the alcohol from beer and the alcohol from liquor.

pattiof
Does a Bear **** in the woods?

Theres your answer!

Sean
YES

kendell c
Rating
a couple of beers a day,no. A couple of cases a day for a few years, yes. If you currently have liver problems or are taking medication that affects the liver such as tylenol ALL alcohol should be avoided.

Kris L
Rating
Yes, you can. Beer is an 'alcoholic beverage' and it's the ALCOHOL that can cause liver damage ... but if you don't 'get drunk frequently' and just have a beer or even a heavier drink once in awhile, you'll be fine ...

holykrikey
Rating
Yes, here is some more info.The liver is an organ present in vertebrates and some other animals. It plays a major role in metabolism and has a number of functions in the body including glycogen storage, plasma protein synthesis, and drug detoxification. This organ also is the largest gland in the human body. It lies below the diaphragm in the thoracic region of the abdomen. It produces bile an alkaline compound which aids in digestion. It also performs and regulates a wide variety of high-volume biochemical reactions requiring specialized tissues.

Medical terms related to the liver often start in hepato- or hepatic from the Greek word for liver, hēpar

The adult human liver normally weighs between 1.7 - 3.0 kilograms (3.7 - 6.5 pounds), and it is a soft, pinkish-brown "boomerang shaped" organ. It is the second largest organ (the largest organ being the skin) and the largest gland within the human body.

It is located on the right side of the upper abdomen body diaphragm. The liver lies on the right of the stomach and makes a kind of bed for the gallbladder (which stores bile).

Flow of blood
The splenic vein, joins with the inferior mesenteric vein, which then together join with the superior mesenteric vein to form the portal vein, bringing venous blood from the spleen, pancreas, small intestine, and large intestine, so that the liver can process the nutrients and byproducts of food digestion.

The hepatic veins drain directly into the inferior vena cava.

The hepatic artery is generally a branch from the celiac trunk, although occasionally some or all of the blood can be from other branches such as the superior mesenteric artery.

Approximately 3/4 of the blood flow to the liver is from the portal venous system, and 1/4 is from the hepatic artery.

Flow of bile
The bile produced in the liver is collected in bile canaliculi, which merge to form bile ducts.

These eventually drain into the right and left hepatic ducts, which in turn merge to form the common hepatic duct. The cystic duct (from the gallbladder) joins with the common hepatic duct to form the common bile duct.

Bile can either drain directly into the duodenum via the common bile duct or be temporarily stored in the gallbladder via the cystic duct. The common bile duct and the pancreatic duct enter the duodenum together at the ampulla of Vater.

The branchings of the bile ducts resemble those of a tree, and indeed the term "biliary tree" is commonly used in this setting.

Regeneration
The liver is among the few internal human organs capable of natural regeneration of lost tissue; as little as 25% of remaining liver can regenerate into a whole liver again.

This is predominantly due to the hepatocytes acting as unipotential stem cells (i.e. a single hepatocyte can divide into two hepatocyte daughter cells). There is also some evidence of bipotential stem cells, called oval cells, which can differentiate into either hepatocytes or cholangiocytes (cells that line the bile ducts).

Peritoneal ligaments
Apart from a patch where it connects to the diaphragm, the liver is covered entirely by visceral peritoneum, a thin, double-layered membrane that reduces friction against other organs. The peritoneum folds back on itself to form the falciform ligament and the right and left triangular ligaments.

These "ligaments" are in no way related to the true anatomic ligaments in joints, and have essentially no functional importance, but they are easily recognizable surface landmarks.

Lobes
Traditional gross anatomy divided the liver into four lobes based on surface features.

The falciform ligament is visible on the front (anterior side) of the liver. This divides the liver into a left anatomical lobe, and a right anatomical lobe.

If the liver is flipped over, to look at it from behind (the visceral surface), there are two additional lobes between the right and left. These are the caudate lobe (the more superior), and below this the quadrate lobe.

From behind, the lobes are divided up by the ligamentum venosum and ligamentum teres (anything left of these is the left lobe), the transverse fissure (or porta hepatis) divides the caudate from the quadrate lobe, and the right sagittal fossa, which the inferior vena cava runs over, separates these two lobes from the right lobe.

Modern (Functional) anatomy
The central area where the common bile duct, portal vein, and hepatic artery enter the liver is the hilum or "porta hepatis". The duct, vein, and artery divide into left and right branches, and the portions of the liver supplied by these branches constitute the functional left and right lobes.

The functional lobes are separated by a plane joining the gallbladder fossa to the inferior vena cava. This separates the liver into the true right and left lobes. The middle hepatic vein also demarcates the true right and left lobes. The right lobe is further divided into an anterior and posterior segment by the right hepatic vein. The left lobe is divided into the medial and lateral segments by the left hepatic vein. The fissure for the ligamentum teres (the ligamentum teres becomes the falciform ligament) also separates the medial and lateral segmants. The medial segment is what used to be called the quadrate lobe. In the widely used Couinaud or "French" system, the functional lobes are further divided into a total of eight subsegments based on a transverse plane through the bifurcation of the main portal vein. The caudate lobe is a separate structure which receives blood flow from both the right- and left-sided vascular branches. The subsegments corresponding to the anatomical lobes are as follows:

Physiology
The various functions of the liver are carried out by the liver cells or hepatocytes.

The liver produces and excretes bile (a greenish liquid) required for emulsifying fats. Some of the bile drains directly into the duodenum, and some is stored in the gallbladder.
The liver performs several roles in carbohydrate metabolism:
Gluconeogenesis (the synthesis of glucose from certain amino acids, lactate or glycerol)
Glycogenolysis (the breakdown of glycogen into glucose) (muscle tissues can also do this)
Glycogenesis (the formation of glycogen from glucose)
The breakdown of insulin and other hormones
The liver is responsible for the mainstay of protein metabolism.
The liver also performs several roles in lipid metabolism:
Cholesterol synthesis
The production of triglycerides (fats).
The liver produces coagulation factors I (fibrinogen), II (prothrombin), V, VII, IX, X and XI, as well as protein C, protein S and antithrombin.
The liver breaks down haemoglobin, creating metabolites that are added to bile as pigment (bilirubin and biliverdin).
The liver breaks down toxic substances and most medicinal products in a process called drug metabolism. This sometimes results in toxication, when the metabolite is more toxic than its precursor.
The liver converts ammonia to urea.
The liver stores a multitude of substances, including glucose in the form of glycogen, vitamin B12, iron, and copper.
In the first trimester fetus, the liver is the main site of red blood cell production. By the 32nd week of gestation, the bone marrow has almost completely taken over that task.
The liver is responsible for immunological effects- the reticuloendothelial system of the liver contains many immunologically active cells, acting as a 'sieve' for antigens carried to it via the portal system.
Currently, there is no artificial organ or device capable of emulating all the functions of the liver. Some functions can be emulated by liver dialysis, an experimental treatment for liver failure.

Diseases of the liver
Many diseases of the liver are accompanied by jaundice caused by increased levels of bilirubin in the system. The bilirubin results from the breakup of the hemoglobin of dead red blood cells; normally, the liver removes bilirubin from the blood and excretes it through bile.

Hepatitis, inflammation of the liver, caused mainly by various viruses but also by some poisons, autoimmunity or hereditary conditions.
Cirrhosis is the formation of fibrous tissue in the liver, replacing dead liver cells. The death of the liver cells can for example be caused by viral hepatitis, alcoholism or contact with other liver-toxic chemicals.
Hemochromatosis, a hereditary disease causing the accumulation of iron in the body, eventually leading to liver damage.
Cancer of the liver (primary hepatocellular carcinoma or cholangiocarcinoma and metastatic cancers, usually from other parts of the gastrointestinal tract).
Wilson's disease, a hereditary disease which causes the body to retain copper.
Primary sclerosing cholangitis, an inflammatory disease of the bile duct, autoimmune in nature.
Primary biliary cirrhosis, autoimmune disease of small bile ducts
Budd-Chiari syndrome, obstruction of the hepatic vein.
Gilbert's syndrome, a genetic disorder of bilirubin metabolism, found in about 5% of the population.
Glycogen storage disease type II,The build-up of glycogen causes progressive muscle weakness (myopathy) throughout the body and affects various body tissues, particularly in the heart, skeletal muscles, liver and nervous system.
There are also many pediatric liver disease, including biliary atresia, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, alagille syndrome, and progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis, to name but a few.

A number of liver function tests are available to test the proper function of the liver. These test for the presence of enzymes in blood that are normally most abundant in liver tissue, metabolites or products.

☆BTriX☆
Yes.

Have you ever heard of cirrosis of the liver?

David W
Yes, if you drank beer in excess but in moderation, no

Elisabeth 3 queen of England
yes

CYNDIE S
Rating
drinking is drinking. just cause the alchohol content isnt as high doesnt mean you cant do damage to your liver.

Jay
if you drink large quantities ( by this i mean more than medicaly recomended) yes

the rule is if its got alcohol then it can damage your liver

a great invention would be beer that tastes good and not alcoholic

blondie15
Rating
yes, you need water, or you'll get dehydrated and faster alco poisioning.

jenn
yes

BigWade
Rating
Yes. I belive you can.

Hailey
Well you can get lots of damage EVERYWHERE from dricking. Including brain damage. I would um... STOP DRINKING

simply_ch0c0late
Yes and it's known as Cirrhosis.

mlgable
Rating
Certainly. Alcohol is alcohol no matter what if it is beer wine or hard liquor.

FunkBucket111
Sure, if you drink enough of it.

Rating
If you drink enough it, yes. Beer contains alcohol. You would have to drink plenty though.

custard93
Rating
If you excessively drink beer

jano
Rating
Absolutely yes! It is a popular way to develop cirrhosis/ liver failure in the US.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, July 25, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy