Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Optical
Health Discussion Forum

Is my eye color rare?
my eyes are a blue ish color. with green more towards the middle, and specks of brown with the green. but blue is more than any other color.
alot of people say i have beautiful eyes, but i like ...

Does anyone feel better when they have there glasses on?
I do....

It hurts if i blink when i have my contacts on...Whats wrong?
Its only my left eye. It feels as if there is something (inside) the eye lids. Its only when i have my contact on my left eye. my right is perfectly fine. Ive had contacts for about 3 weeks now. It ...

Do I need glasses?
I am 13 and I sometimes have trouble seaing the board, I also have headaches on and off. I sqint alot and rub my eys all the time. I also move my head close to stuff a lott....

Is it true that some people's eye colour changes when they are experiencing strong emotions?

Is it okay to wear contacts if you have allergies ?
okay, so I have really dark brown eyes, the closest shade to black most likely. And I would like to get colored contacts to brighthen them up a little. However, I have allergies generally to pollen ...

How long can you keep your eyes open without blinking?

What kind of foods can i eat for better eye site?

Do i have pink eye what does it look like?
my eyes r all red they burn and r itchy and they keep getting goopie and i feel like crying they hurt so bad ps i am 14...

Is laser eye surgery dangerous?
I want to get laser eye surgery in 2 years when I'm 21, but some people have told me that it's a risky surgery. What are the odds of something going wrong?...

What's your eye color?

My sister says she can't take off her contacts. could it really stick to the eye that u can't take it off?
what should she do if she can't take them off? go see the doctor?...

Contacts lenses, do you ever get use to them?

Am i a FREAK??
Is it normal or am i a freak?!?
my eyeballs have a slight hint of blue they're not fully white, what does this mean?...

Will i need glasses when i am older?
i am 13 and i have worn glasses since i was about 4, my eyes have improved so much that i can see perfectly without them(but my eyes get tired easily without glasses). When i'm an adult will i ...

Eye colours?
Two questions really. I have two different colours in my eyes, orange and green. is that normal? also, if a white person has brown eyes, does that mean they may have black decendants?
A...

What is with these flashing lights in the corner of my eye?
ok so today I've been having these moments where light would just flash in my eye, and the second time it happened I got a slight head ache.
Last year I had something similar but it ...

Colored contacts....?
im getting fresh look colored contacts, i have blue/green eyes, some days they look blue and others green, but mainly blue.... what color should i get that would stand out and look right.... i have ...

Should i wear my glasses when going out ?
I'm short sighted and i have been wearing glasses for a few years. I only use them for seeing the board at school. Sometimes when I got out to shopping centres, parks etc, people and things that ...

What color eyes will my baby have? My eyes are light brown, my bf's are blue/green.?

sunshine
Putting contacts in my eyes?
just tried contacts and the opticians was quite impatient making comments about how i was the third person in his 10yr career who couldn't do it straightaway, obviously this made me feel worse,i could tell he was getting frustrated and i was trying it out...

i'm going to a diff opticians tomorrow to try them again
any advice for getting them in my eye? he said uve got to really want this and i really really do but my eye just flinchs at the point where its almost in, wher do i look aswell? i'm nt scared just flinch every time it gets close and cnt help it!!

:( :( :( all answers appreciated ....

chizzy
Rating
Putting contacts in my eyes?
just tried contacts and the opticians was quite impatient making comments about how i was the third person in his 10yr career who couldn't do it straightaway, obviously this made me feel worse,i could tell he was getting frustrated and i was trying it out...

u didn't need 2 put all these bcos ppl would get tired of reading.

anyway get d contacts believe dat dey would work 4 u.

vtjenny97
When I first went for contacts the doctor told me the same thing (almost) and I have been wearing them for more than 10 years now. He was trying to hold my eye open to insert them for the first time and I kept pulling back my lid. He was annoyed. Like I meant to! It's an involuntary reaction. It's your eye's way of defending itself.

If you can't understand how difficult it is to put in contacts for the first time, you are in the wrong business! Definitely try a new person.

As far as getting them in, I have to make sure the contact lens is wet, but my finger is dry. Also, I don't look right at my finger as it is approaching my eye. I look slighty upward. That way the reflex to blink isn't so strong.

If you need anything else, feel free to email me. My address is, of course, my ID @yahoo

** Just read happymissus advice. Very good description there (esp., the blank stare--kind of like you're daydreaming-- but not that blank!).

Catwhiskers
Rating
Hold the bottom lid of your eye down with you middle finger and have the lens on your index finger.
look up as far as you can when you are putting them in.
Dont press them in too firmly or they will fold back on themselves.

Another alternative is to look to the side of your nose while putting the lens on the other side of your eye then when it is in, close your eye so that it will slide into place.
Hopefully your next opticvian will be more patient, a lot of people have trouble at first (myself included) then go on to have no problems.

megskathy
it took me like at least a half hour to get them in my eyes each day for about the first week!!1 don't sweat it....it's perfectly normal to have trouble with it. you're basically poking your eyes, which is weird.

all i can say is just look away as you put them in. also, maybe ask the dr to step out of the room. he is putting a lot of pressure on you, which is not helping your focus and concentration!

pull down the lower lid of your eye with your right hand and hold the top up with your left hand. Then using the index finger of your right hand put the contact in your eye. Wait for a second then slowly remove your hand. The contact should stay in place on your eye.

charliegirl
I'm not sure what advice I can offer for putting your lenses in.
But I hope the different optician is more helpful.

I first got contacts when I was 16 and I always say 'If I can wear them, anyone can'. I was so squeamish about touching my eyes. I actually passed out at the first opticians I went to and he said I wasn't suitable for contact lenses. Anyway I went to another opticians, explained what had happened at the other & that I was determined to try lenses. He helped put me at ease.
When it came to me putting them in myself for the first time I was at the opticians over an hour, it took me ages to get the hang of it.
Once at home when it came to taking them out I was in tears as I thought I couldn't get them out again. (My mum was saying well you're going to have to learn, you can't keep going to the opticians morning and night to get them put in and taken out again. lol).
Anyway. I did get the hang of it. Practise makes perfect and all that. Eventually you find a method that is comfortable for you.
I'm 33 now and it's like second nature.
Funnily enough, now when I go to the opticians for check ups I can no longer allow the optician to remove my lenses. I have to do it myself.
Good luck. You'll get there.
Just take your time. Eventually you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

brad g
Rating
me too i actually just got my contacts today
im only 14 and there my first pair
and instead of paying 70 dollars to have someone show me my mom taught me at home
i couldnt get them in
it took my about 30 minutes of yelling and crying just to get one in
and then about another 30 minutes of yelling and crying to get them out
lol every time i would get them close to my eye i would blink and it would roll back on my finger..i was sooo fustratedm
but my mom said sooner or later we will get used to it
soo hope me and you both get used to it

norn_06
dont worry its really difficult to get them in straight away.
What i do is look up, with one hand hold ur top eyelid to prevent it from shutting, with the other hold the bottom eyelid [with the first finger free [to put the contact in with]
then look up and place it onto the eye, it will make ur eyeswater untill you get used to it, dont worry.
then look down, right and left to ensure its in, and voila.

takes some practice tho, good luck!

soundfamiliar
Rating
Ask the optician for a lubricating eye drop for contact lens user. Drop the lubricants into your eyes before putting the contacts on , then dont close your eyes, places a drop on the lens before inserting it in. You should not feel the lens

Oh also use soft lens not gas permeable, because you sound like someone who cannot stand the idea of putting things in their eyes.

pippatraill@btinternet.com
its no problem it took me about an hour to get my contacts in first time!! it seems you just have a horrible optician who is stupid and impatient, and a tip is to look to the side or up and hold your upper eyelid up and put the contact on any part of the eye apart from the iris, you flinch more if you put it on your iris. just keep at it and youl get the hang of it in no time!

luna
I only read a few answers but i couldnt see too many that were helpful. Your optician sounds awful, it should be more like three people in ten years who COULD do it straight away (i work in optics).

Ok - wash your hands and get everything ready, sit down and make sure you are calm.

Use the hand you write with to get the lens and sit it on your index finger. (it should be in a bowl shape on your finger).

Use your middle finger on your other hand to hold your top eyelide up (place finger really close to lash line and pull up as far as comfortable), then use your middle finger on the hand you picked up the lens with to pull your lower eyelid down as far as comfortable.

Look up into a corner and place your lens onto the eye in the opposite corner ensuring you hve enough clearance to not catch your eyelids as this may fold the lens. when you have the lens on the eye slowly remove your finger, let you lower lid go and then your uppereyelid. blink and look aound a little bit to centre the lens.

It does take practice but you will get there. Hardly anyone gets it first time.

leotard
Rating
I've worn glasses for most of my life and tried contacts a few years ago! I really struggled with them at first, but after a bit of practise and encouragement from my optician I managed it fine. Just take your time with them ..... don't forget, eyes are very sensitive, if you rush with contacts you could cause some permanent damage!

Katie
Rating
i just got contacts recently. the lady was REALLY patient which was good b/c it took me about 45 min lol.

anyways, are you a righty or a lefty? if youre righty, hold your top lid up with your left hand. take your right hand (with the contact ready on your pointer finger) put it under your eye and hold your bottom eyelid down with your middle finger. press the lens lightly onto your eye. i suggest looking far up or far to the side. looking down doesnt work well. try not to look right at the contact, itll just make your eye flinch more. ir youre lefty, just reverse which hand to use for what.

weeleesie
well i'm glad you're going to a different opticians - your one sounds awful! I remember trying contacts for the first time, it took me ages to get them in, and even longer to get them out again!! It just takes practise, you can't be expected to do it straight away.

I'm sure your new optician will be far more sympathetic. Good luck!

Happymissus
Rating
God you are so normal, your previous optician must have been having a bad day.
You will ahve problems for the first few weeks as a matter of course and to be honest every so often it will still go wromg how ever much you are used to doing it....I still panic mildly when it doesn't feel right.
Anyway the best approach is to try and take on a fixed stare, do not try and look at the lens as you are putting it in which is the obvious thing to do. Pop it on your finger, you can look at it then,move your finger to your eye, you can look at it then BUT as you move your finger up to your eye then stare blankly at the mirror beyond, and gently put the lens on your eye. Then rotate the lens until it feels comfortable. Then remove your finger. Do perservere because I was the most unlikely case to be able to put something in my eye and i managed it and now 10 years on i wouldn't be without them

chgoalex
Rating
Hey, it took me somewhere about 30 mins sitting in front of the mirror putting my first contact in. I was getting closer and closer with the finger, going millimeter by millimeter. Glad my eye doctor wasn't hurrying me and just let me do my own thing. Just take your time, you'll be fine.

As for holding your eyelids with fingers to make it easier, this is what I do:
1) Make an 'o' with the thumb and index finger of the hand which you're not going to use for contact insertion (your free hand)
2) Open the 'o' slightly and place the index finger on the top of the eyelid; the thumb on the bottom part of the eyelid
3) Raise the index finger slightly up, picking up the eyelid, and
the thumb down a little to widen the visible area of your eye a bit
4) Hold it in such position until contact is in place

If that doesn't work, I know that there's those devices for putting in contacts... they cost like $20 from what I remember. (In my opinion, useless things, you're better off doing it with your fingers).

Btw, I have gas permeable lenses and they are much easier to put in the eye than the soft lenses - mainly because they are smaller (what my optometrist told me, anyway).

immortality1231981
My optician was totally cool and said that everyone has trouble and it takes awhile. Her assistant stayed with me for over a half hour to teach me to get them in the first time. I'm sorry your was such a *^%^&%.

I just got my contacts and like others said here, it is really, really hard and awkward even after a couple of months for me. Just keep trying and practicing. Be sure that your hand is very dry, the inside of the contact is wet (contact solution--not water) and the contact is balanced on the tip of your finger. Make sure to hold your bottom eyelid down very well with the hand holding the contact (middle and index fingers, e.g.,) and the top lid is held up very well. Look away (up and to the side works best for me) and position the contact kind of rubbing your finger around in your eye for a couple of seconds to get the lens to adhere to your eye. Keep holding your lids open and focus your eye on a spot in the mirror. Move your head up and down and back and forth a bit without moving your eye. Release your lower lid then your upper lid. Put in visine for contacts or something and blink a few times to get the excess moisture and air bubble out.

Repeat for the other eye.

and practice practice practice. Trust me, I'm still going through this myself and it does (sometimes) get easier even though I still have days when I am either lazy or too frustrated and wear my glasses.

dreamy
its a lot harder trying to put them in in front of someone for the first time it took me ages ask to be left alone while you practice open your eye wide i find it easier to actually look at what imdoing and make sure the lens is wet with saline it gets easier and is definatly worth it

Emma G
you just need to find a nicer opticians who have patience and politeness.

jumoon
Rating
Teaching contact lens handling is part of my job,the average patient takes about 45mins to master the technique,some take hours over many visits.Practice holding your eye open as wide as possible,look straight ahead as the lens will go on to the coloured part of your eye much easier than the white.I have been in the business for 10 years and have had very few patients who were able to do it straight away.You are in the majority,have patience,relax,don't get stressed and you will do it.

Perkiepy
That optician you had must have been having one seriously bad hair day! Any optician knows that it takes time and practice and I'm sorry he/she was so deliberately impatient with you! But to answer your question:

It does takes practice and some degree of patience on your part, but you'll get the hang of it!! It's quite simple actually. All you do is put the lense on the tip of your finger, open you upper and lower lid with the opposite hand, LOOK STRAIT AHEAD, not at the contact (thats where people have difficulty because they want to look at the contact, up or down, or off to the side) and gently place the lense on your pupil. Let the lense come to your eye, not your eye to the lense! The moisture from your eye, and that from the solution on the lense will hold the lense in place. Close your eye for a second and voila!! the lense is in and you cant even tell it's there!
I sure hope this helps!
Remember - LOOK STRAIT AHEAD - NOT AT THE LENSE!
Good luck!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy