Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Optical
Health Discussion Forum

My daughters eyes are still growing?
my daughter is 18 and recently went to the eye doctor. The doctor told her that her eyes are still growing and in all of his years of practice he has only saw one other person that was like that and ...

Can staring at a computer screen, tv, etc for long periods of time(I mean a period of years) lead to blindness
I am on a computer about 6+ hours a day and have to do so for work, relaxation and play. The same way listening to headphones too much/loud leads to going deaf, will being at a computer screen ...

Do carrots help your eyesight?
im going to need glasses and i need something to help me before i get my glasses please help no silly answers i need serious ...

Are colored contacts bad for your eyes?
my doctor said colored contacts blur your vision and make it ...

Can i buy prescirption eye contacts at walmart without a prescription???
okay i want to buy contacts from walmart and i know my prescription but i havent had an eye exam with them
i've had it from another eye docotor
but i want to buy contacts at walmrt ...

Sometimes when I cough, I am left with little white specs in my eyes which float about for a few seconds befor
disapearing. I know them as "floaters".

What are they and how caused?...

If someone is blind, but not BORN blind, do they still dream as a sighted person?
I am writing a story. One of the main characters is a woman who suffered damage to the occipital lobe of her brain and has gone blind. I need some information, such as what her dreams might be like. (...

If you dont have yor contact solution is there any other way to keep my contacts moist?
my friend is staying over my house but she forgot he contact solution is there any other way she can keep them moist over ...

1 eye can't get 20/20 with glasses?
My right eye's vision has been getting more and more blurry. I see halos when I look at light during the night and they seem to have a blur around them during the day. I can't seem to ...

Contacts prescription?
i have a prescription for contacts but does it have to be exactly the ones the eye doc prescribed? because the other day i went to americas best and the girl working the front told me that the doc ...

Macular Degeneration?
I went to the eye doctor this morning for a comprehensive exam, mainly to see if I needed glasses (which of course i do). The doctor stated that I had drusen and diagnosed me with macular ...

Transitions lenses?
I have slight short sightedness and my eyes are very sensitive to light. I was recommended transitions lenses from a person who is long sighted and also has sensitive sight. I do not need glasses for ...

Contacts vs. Specs.?
This is a redundant question, but I have not worn contacts because of my parents being old-fashioned and having bad experiences with them years prior to their evolution. Are contacts tremendously ...

Hair Dye in Eye...What to do?
I just colored my hair and while rinsing in the shower I must've gotten some in the corner of my eye. I flushed really well with water but it still stings and I'm blinking a lot. Advice ...

I am starting to have eye bugs, any suggestion except from sleeping early?
I am now unhappy about these, any suggestions??...

Contact lens question??
Does your eye hurt when you take your contacts out??
cause your kinda pushing on you eye, to get them out..
does it hurt?, or does your contact make it not hurt??...

I need eyecare, but have no insurance. What do I do?
I am having problems with my contact lenses/glasses, but I do not have vision insurance. What do I do?...

Contact Lens case care?
I have been wearing contacts for about 8 years, and I'm still using the original case my optometrist gave me. After I put my contacts in I just dump the solution from the case, rinse with water,...

Do glasses change your face?
I've heard glasses change your face, like make your eyes smaller and nose wider. Is that true?
Additional Details
I also heard your eyes get worse through glasses. It's kind of ...

Dark Brown Contacts?
Does anyone know of any DARK BROWN CONTACTS...besides freshlook...if so could you please tell me the name and brand ...

lonerose05
If your frames are broken, can the lenses be re sized for new ones (frames)?
I've worn the same eyeglass frames for years, recently they were broken in the middle of the nose. my lenses are still fine, I'm wondering if they can be reused.

rustoria617
Rating
Not likely. Unless you can find the exact same frame model.

But, you might be able to talk an optomitrist into reading your current lense and avoid the exam fee. Or, even get a copy of your current rx. They keep them on file for awhile. If too old, they may balk with something like "I can't give you a rx that's older than 6 months," citing some regulation they got themselves written to protect their pocketbook.

Good luck.

valgonzal
unfortunatley, you cannot reuse the lenses in a different frame...you can but they would have to be edged so small, there probably isnt a frame that could hold that small of a lens.

however, there is a slight chance that the frame you are wearing is still being manufactured, so go to you eyedoctor (or wherever you purchased your glasses) and ask them if they can look the frame up for you.

another option is to have them repaired. if they are a metal frame (not titanium, some places repair titanium, but not very many) it could possibly easily be sautered back together.

good luck!

p.s. you should always have a back-up pair of glasses for situations exactly like this.

jmason024
A good tech/optician may be able to re-size them if they are just the right size with just the right measurements. If they can find a frame that they will cut into (the almost impossible part if you already have narrow frames or especially bi-focal or progressive lenses) you would be very limited in your choice of frames. It will also be hard to find a store/office that is willing to do it because there is a good chance of ruining your lenses and the having to order you a new set for free. Most big chains and retail locations almost certainly have policies against re-cutting lenses, but a independent optician or doctor who has a lab on site may be willing.

You should still get you Rx checked if you have not done so in the last 10-12 months (you had the frame for years, but not sure about your lenses). If it has changed then you should get a whole new pair, and free yourself of the hassle of trying to find someone who is willing and hoping they do a good job (even the most experienced techs sometimes goof up).

TEK33
Rating
Yes, they can. It is not impossible. The right knowledgeable optician can do it for you. Unless you had a frame with an unusually large bridge, like some older fashioned round styles, then it shouldn't be a big deal. You may only have 1 or 2 frames to pick from, so don't think you can just go in and pick any frame that you like. You will be strictly limited to a frame very similar in size and shape to what you have. It is somewhat time consuming, so you may find some reluctant opticians out there willing to do it. It will also make a difference how thick your lenses are. Usually, the lenses will be hand edged to fit the new frame. Very hard to line up the lenses and re-cut them on an edger, used to make the lenses in the first place. Especially if it is a similar size to your lenses. The lenses can also be put directly into a plastic frame sometimes without any modifications. The plastic frames have more pliability, so the heated frame will conform to the lens if it is close in shape and size. Once you get this done, make an exam and get new glasses, these will make a good spare pair. Good luck.

Spectacle
sometimes they can and sometimes they can't. There is an optical center to your lense that is positioned for your eye and your eye's measurements specifically for that frame. To mark it up and cut it to fit the frame seems kind of a no brainer, but the thing is that the lense might not be ablet o be cut to fit correctly, and on top of it they might charge you to cut and edge it, and that money you could put toward a correctly cut lense for your new frame. Can you get a duplicate frame from your prior optician? that might be a good idea as well. Go around and ask, but do not be insulted if you get some resistance, we hate doing it as we are trained to do what is best for you and this is usually not in your best interrest. Good luck!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, October 31, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy