Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Optical
Health Discussion Forum

How can you get rid of bushy eye brows i use the tweezer but..?
i dont wanna get em waxed and people im a ...

Cannot wear bifocals, now what?
i'm near sited in one eye and far-sited in the other. tried some glasses without bifocal and could not see close up. can't wear contacts due to allergies. do i have any options? my vision ...

Is this bad for my eyes?
i like to work on my laptop at night with no light on. my eyes don't really feel stressed or anything like that but im nearsighted and is this going to affect my vision?...

My contact lense is in... but now it's blurry?
Is this is a common experience? You'll need background info to properly assess my situation: I have 20/30 vision in my left eye (NATURALLY, without any aide), and 20/200 vision in my right eye.....

Something's Stuck In My Eye And I Can't Get It Out.?
I have read other things on the internet about this, but I'd like some first-person advice about this. So a few hours back, I'd say... Around seven hours back, I was doing my own thing, on ...

Can you buy just the eyeglass frames online and take them to your optometrist so they can put the lens in?
Websites like framesdirect.com have better selection than my eyeglass center. I want to know if anyone has ever done this before. T...

How can i convince my mom to let me get eye contacts?
she thinks im going to get an eye infection. but she doesnt get how much i hate my glasses. i barely wear them unless we see a Broadway musical or show in a theatre. bor if i cant see the board in ...

Why do contact cases come with tweezers?
I was on ebay looking for a cute contacts case, and there are sets that come with a mini solution bottle and a pair of tweezers. What are the tweezers for?...

Is there somthing wrong if your eye twiches?

Can anyone help me?
Resolved QuestionShow me another »
My eyes are blurry after taking off my glasses, should I keep them on?
I recently had trouble seeing the writing on the board at school and i was told ...

All About Eyes?
has anyone else wondered about that thing in your eye? look in a mirror and you will see that in both of your eyes, there is a pink lump near your nose. if you know what im talking about answer my ...

Improving eye sight?
Hi im only 19 years old and my eye sight is seriously deteriorating. It seems that every year i am having to find a stronger presciption for my glasses. I want to get rid of my glasses. Is there any ...

Why are my son's contact lenses falling out?
He's 13, they're gas perm hard lenses (can't have soft) and he's already lost 2 of them in one week. They sometimes move around on his eye too and don't stay over the iris. ...

Soft contact lens tore?
I got new soft contact lens that are supposed to be "trial" on Friday (first time contact lens wearer) and was supposed to wear them for 4 hrs on Fri, 6 on Sat, and 8 today. I wore them for ...

How much would it cost to get an eye exam for contact lenses?

I have a ? about my eyes?
in the mornings my eye pupils get humungus and u can baerly see the rest of my eye sometimes and other times my pupil is really small is there an?
Additional Details
is therwe anything i ...

I just got contacts(wed.) and one is irratating my eye?
it was fine the day i got them and yesterday but today it has been irratating my eye. in my right eye i use a purevision toric lense and opti multipurpose solution and i have an eye appointment next ...

Contact help [ACUVUE OASYS INFO]?
I went to my eye doctor and he recommended me Acuvue Oasys. I don't wear contacts alot, maybe to the school and the gym. Max hours 8 a day. I also wear glasses some days. My doctor recommended 2...

Should I get a 2nd opinion....?
should i get a second opinion if i just took my 3 year old daughter to the eye doctor & now he said she needs glasses??? her eye-sight has never really been an issue, she has never complained, ...

Is 20.5 metres very far or not as some say its 6 to 7 car lengths and i need to know so i can practice?

faba_2005
I have thicker eyeglasses, i want thinner glasses?
What is that procedure called when they keep your prescription but they make the lens thinner so you dont look so geeky???

Twinkie
Rating
If your prescription is thick, ask for featherweight lenses.

Taz
Rating
If you can afford an extra $100 or so, ask for Transitions lenses. They are the ones that are clear indoors, then turn dark outdoors (when exposed to the UV light of the sun). They are made of polycarbonate by design (so they are very thin and lightweight, even with a heavy prescription -- mine is a -5.75!), and are also scratch resistant and have an anti-glare coating. They are the best pair of glasses I have ever bought. The only thing that will surprise most people is that Transitions do not darken in the car, so they are not good 'driving sunglasses' (they work excellent for motorcycle riding though!). The problem is that the darkening film is activated by UV light, not the brightness of the light. The stronger the UV, the darker they get (you will notice that even on an overcast day, they will darken somewhat). However, most car windshields have a UV blocking laminate (to prevent sun-bleaching of the interior). Because of this, even though the sun is shining bright, there will not be enough UV penetrating the windshield to activate the darkening film. But this should NOT deter you from spending the extra money on them. They are well worth every penny. (a word of caution though, do NOT get them from Lenscrafters. Lenscrafters sells a knockoff called ReacTint, not genuine Transitions. ReacTint is not scratch resistant, and does not get anywhere near as dark as Transitions do. Ask for Transitions by name, and get the certificate of authenticity)

browneyedgirl623
Ask your optician for hi-index lenses. Also, ask for help in picking a grame that will make your prescription less thick and probably flatter as well. A good-quality antireflection coating such as crizal alize' or teflon will reduce the the glare on the lenses and also add to the great look for you.

The shape of the frame has a lot to do with the thickness of the lenses. You want your eye well-centered in the frame, and avoid large frames, rimless frames, and frames with sharp corners for the best cosmetic appearance.

The trendier thick rimmed frames (available in plastic and metal) make edges appear thinner, and there are also coatings that can be placed on the lens edges that make the lenses "match" the color of the frame.

For the best result, don't try to do ths yourself. Ask the optician to help you choose a frame that will look great.

ILoveMySon!
Rating
Mrs S...Is completely right!!!
Frame selection is very important when you want to reduce the thickness of your lenses! If you are nearsighted the edges are thickest portion of the lens... and if you are farsighted the center portion is the thickest part of the lens.

It is very important that the frame fits you perfectly with your eyes centered within the lenses (vertically and horizontally). Also choose a smaller "eyesize"...because with nearsighted prescriptions the smaller the lens size the edge thickness is reduced.
Another trick with nearsighted prescriptions is to choose a plastic frame that is slightly thicker because it helps mask the edge thickness of the lenses! A thinner metal frame with a nearsighted prescription can show how thick the edges actually are!
As for the lens type always go for a higher index.... the higher the index the thinner the lens also the more expensive! To my knowledge the highest plastic index available is 1.74 and I have heard that even higher ones are coming out. These lenses are definitely more thinner and lighter then regular plastic but they are also more fragile so you need to be more careful with your glasses. When you get a high index lens it is required you get an anireflection coating... (at least where I am from) and it is well worth it. This coating helps reduce glare and reflections and allows for better light transmission....and will also help your lenses look less thick!
Talk to your local qualified optician to guide you through the frame/lens selection process to achieve thinner and lighter lenses!

ham&cheez
Rating
I don't know what your prescription is but I'll use mine as an example. I have -6.00 and 5.50. There are many things you can do to make your lenses thinner.
1. Wear smaller frames. The smaller te eyeglass frames, the thinner your lenses will be.
2. Order Hi-Index lenses. Hi-index comes in different levels:1.60, 1.67, 1.70. The higher the index, the thinner the lenses will be. It will also be more expensive. Ask the optician for the prices and then determine how thin you are willing to pay for them to be.
3. Get Anti-reflectve coating (AR). This coating removes the "Coke bottle" look with your lenses and it makes them look thinner. Plus, you see better with them. Some hi-index automatically come with AR so think about that when calculating your final price.
I hope this helps.

♥♥Mrs SSG B♥♥
Frame selection has a lot to do with how thin your lenses are. A poorly fitted frame can add a lot of thickness to your lenses. The optician at your Optometrist's office should help you find a frame in which your eyes are as centered in the lens as possible. Wearing frames in which your eyes sit too close to the nasal portion on the lens add a lot of thickness. Assuming that you are very nearsighted, the thinnest part of your lens is in the center and its gets thicker towards the edge. The thinnest and clearest part of the lens gets put right in front of your eyes when they edge your lenses for your frame. So by making sure that you are almost dead-center in the frame ensures that your edges will be their thinnest. When your eyes sit towards the nasal portion of the lens in your frame, they must move the center of the lens over, which means that less of the thick outside edge will be cut off when they edge your lenses.

Also, you want to ask for Hi-index lenses...you'd want to be sure to ask for the highest-index possible, which for most places should be 1.67, or 1.70. They are a high-index plastic, rather than polycarbonate. Polycarbonate lenses are thinner and impact resistant, but for people with high prescriptions, they get a lot of distoriton. And, hi-index lenses are thinner than polycarbonate. The only time I would really recommend a poly over a high-index is when you are using a grooved rimless frame or a drill mount frame, because the lenses resist cracking and chipping better. And if your prescription is heavy, you'd do best to stay away from those frames anyway, as they are not the best selection for those trying to minimize the thickness of their lenses. Other than that, hi-index is the way to go.

Someone above me mentioned Transitions lenses, and those are available in hi-index plastic as well. They are expensive though, so be prepared for sticker shock. Transitions lenses are great for indoor/outdoor usage, but because they require UV in order to darken, they do NOT get very dark in the car. So, if you are looking to be able to wear them while driving, they are NOT a substitute for a good, dark pair of shades. I have a set of Transitions and I still definitely need my polarized sunglasses in the car...

The anti-reflective coating is also a must! It reduces the distracting glare you get on the front and backside of your lenses from any light source. The coating is a MUST for anyone who uses a computer for any extended period of time and its excellent for nighttime driving. Those on-coming headlights cause an awful glare on your lenses. You also get glare on the backside of your lenses from headlights behind you. I have it on all of my glasses and my sunglasses and everyone in my family has it on theirs, too. And besides being a functional coating, it also makes your lenses appear thinner because it takes all of the reflection off of them, so that "coke bottle" effect ring you get is non-existent so it masks how thick your lenses really are. Its not a tint - it allows the light to pass through the lens, rather than be reflected off the surface...in fact, treated lenses make you look almost like you don't have lenses in your frames. So when people look at you, they are seeing your eyes and not the lights above you and behind you. And, if you wear your glasses for pictures, you don't get the flash in the lenses. its a great coating!!! Some coatings are kind of crappy and they scratch easily, so ask for either Crizal, or Zeiss brand anti-reflective coatings. Those are two of the best that I've seen. And you can get the coatings on just about any lens style. I have it on my Transitions and its great!!!

Well, my friend, hope that helps you out! Ask the optician at your eye doctor's office to help you select a frame and lenses that will look stylish and will slim those lenses down for you. That's what we are there for!!!

Icewomanblockstheshot
Get polycarbonate lenses, they are 45% thinner.
If you wear a multiple prescription, get Varilux lenses in polycarbonate.

I have polycarbonate Varilux, they are so thin, they look like a very light reading prescription. People are shocked, when they try them on!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, August 29, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy