Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Are people really that gullible?

Does anyone else pull out their hair?
i pull out my hair and i think i have this condition called trichotillomania where you pull out your hair to relieve stress, and i was wondering if anyone else has this, and if they do, could they ...

I am thinking about suicide...help?
i have severe depression and major ODD. i cant get along with anyone in my family, i only have two good friends, and my medication does NOT work. im in DBT group and therapy but that dosent seem to ...

If you acheive only ONE dream before you die, what would you want it to be?

What do you do when your feeling low?
I've been feeling low the past few days, need to kick myself up the a*se and get out of it. Any suggestions?...

Plzz answer.Is it important to apologize when we do something wrong?
I never like to apologize to anyone eventhough i did something wrong.Is it a bad attitude?...

My boyfriend keeps stabbing me with a pencil...is this normal??
He's done it like 5 times in a row now. It's Ow! He just did it again! Why is he doing this?? OW! he won't stop! Help!!! Is he normal??...

Forms of self harm?
Should people who hit themselves, seek help as much as those who cut? Or should they keep quiet as its more likely to be ignored and it isn't as harmful?

I know many people think it�...

Gimme another word for a fart!?

Does the pain ever go away?
My aunt and best friend past away on 4-27-2007, and it's been very hard for me. Sometimes, I am in a good mood, thinking and laughing about the fun times we had, but then I realize she's ...

Does it make me gay if...?
I think Johnny Depp is attractive by the way i'm a guy and friggin love woman but does this make me gay or metro or what?
Additional Details

Why cant you people answer a serious question?
some people have no shame whatsoever..people are opening their hearts to you on this site, and some of you are pig ignorant, why dont you bloody grow up, and just think with your tiny little brains ...

I saw a really scary movie and now i'm a wreck. What do I do?
I absolutly hate scary movies and usually don't watch them. My cousin convinced me to watch the Skeleton Key at a little sleepover we had and said it was just a thriller and not scary in the ...

Would you turn in your own sister if she was abusing her children?
I did...I spoke up...and now I am the bad guy in the family. I still think that I did the right thing. By the way, the abuse was of a mental/psychological and verbal nature, and I would catagorize ...

What was the last thing that scared you?

Dads funeral at 2pm how do i keep it together?
scared of breaking down big time and embarrassing ...

My mom dosent like me.Is it my fault?
My mom hates me.She scolds me everytime.I am 17 years old,good at studies and i never did any wrong things in my life.My mom says i am not so good looking but i think i am beautiful.She irritates me ...

How can i be happy ??

Whats the point of life?
At an all time low, health problems, friend problems, job problems, seriously what is the reason. I know there is no set answer, but good to hear some views. Happy new year all and 10 points for best ...

Does anyone else find it scary when they think 'one day im going to die ?'?
I think about this every day, some days it doesnt seem to matter but other days its so scary it panics me .... anyone else feel this way ?...

sexy legs
Why does depression have a stigma attached .....?
depression can affect all walks of life , rich and poor people , but why do people frown upon anti-depressants ?? I have read a few answers over time here in answers and they were all really negative towards anti-depressants ... why is that ??
Some may be habit forming but not all are and even so when coming off any meds it should be a gradual process and carefully monitored by your gp ... The benefits of these meds far outweigh the negative ...
Additional Details
I myself am a depression sufferer and rely on my medication . Without the help i have received from numerous people goodness knows where i would be today .

xCharliex
im all for anti depressents!
i wasn't when i firt felt like i did, i was suffering with anxiety attacks i was like im not taking them, what if i get dependent on them, and all of that but my dr helped me get off them, and i aint been back on them since, but i know if i felt like i did hwen i was put on them i wouldnt hesitate to make an appt with my gp!
I wouldnt be suprised alot of ppl are suffering with anxiety living in this day and age.

Dekker
I suffer from depression my self, and yes i agree, there is a stigma, i think people see it as
O no he/she has mental health problems, maybe they will flip out maybe beat me up or even kill me.
The only time you here about depression is on the news when someone went crazy with a gun and killed a number of people, or went out and stabbed some on for no reason,
Depression is associated with mental health, and its mental health that people are afraid off
I didn't feel angry with others, i just used to feel low until i started taking my tablets
All the best, hope you now feel better
Dekker

jewel
people just don't understand unless they or someone very close to them goes through it themselves and the ones who knock anti-depressants have probably never needed them ,they don't understand the concept that it's a chemical imbalance ,as if you would want to feel depressed?a lot of people blame themselves at first,i myself did this when i went through a really bad post-partum depression 18yrs ago,i have learned alot since then and acceptance is a big step in feeling better!

Sylvia C
Rating
It is because people cannot see what is wrong so think you are making it up. I am quite deaf and people get cross with me when I have the tv loud or do not hear what they say because they cannot see my deafness. I get no sympathy but if I was blind they would be very caring. I also suffer from depression and also no sympathy.

keiraebony
I don't think that you're asking so much about depression, more the anti-depressants...

From personal experience, some anti depressants I know actually make things worse. The doctor gave me some seroxat a few years ago (which was on panorama the other week), for post natal depression, it turned me from a quiet, tired, depressed person into a raging, hyperactive maniac. I stormed into the doctors and stood there ranting at her, I actually told the doc that they even sort something out or I was going to end up doing something to myself or someone else. I'd already punched a blokes wingmirror that had cut me up on the way there, thats not me!! I don't like confrontation normally!

Sometimes the anti-d's aren't right for the person and they do things - others are addictive. Some people believe they need them and if they are taken off them that they will fall straight back into being full on depressed, they're mentally addicted. Or they like the way they make them feel, I guess thats what happened to Robbie Williams. The seroxat I was given has actually caused children and adults to commit suicide, but glaxo smithkline hid that and paid off the 'experts' that were supposed to be unbiased about it. Its still being given out now.

The problem is, the gps sometimes diagnose depression when its something like bi-polar, which is the new term for manic depression. The difference with the meds is that bi-polar patients need 2 types of tablets, anti-d's and one to stabilise the violent mood swings. If only the anti-ds are given, it can make someone with bi-polar worse. Thats just one example of why anti-ds aren't as great for some people, well, most people I've spoken to.

Its great that you get on with your meds, it truely is, but you're one of the lucky people! Thats why there is a general negative way of thinking with anti-d's.

sparman20
Rating
I have re-active, repetitive depression.When I was diagnosed I was mortified but I had to accept it. Applied for a job with a well known supermarket and mentioned my condition, they didn't want to know. It is a terrible sigma. For me I decided against medication, just made myself aware of the triggers and dealt with it and still do by walking miles, it is free and does give me a feel good factor. I have good days and bad days and have to accept that I am different. For me the thought of being on medication for the rest of my life was too scary as the illness is on going, for someone who justs hits a bad patch it is very effective. Good Luck anyway

profile not in use
Rating
The reason there is a stigma attached is that people do not understand depression and are scared of it. I am in recovery myself now and its an awful experience to go through but you can and will recover. The choice to take anti-depressants or not is entirely personal I chose not to and I have counselling which helps me enormously. You know what is best for you and you will eventually manage without the anti-depressants and be well again. Take care.

Charlotte B
Rating
I think there is help for all of us depressives, in that, now that the illness is being discussed, debated and treated a lot more openly than it was, say, 30 years ago, the general public is aware that it is an actual medical condition, not a "fit of the vapours".

When I had my first bout 20 years ago, I only knew one other person who suffered from depression - she was bi-polar and had a very difficult time. The statistics are now that 1 in 4 people will suffer from depression in their lifetime.

This means a quarter of the people you speak to will know exactly what depression is all about and how debilitating it is. It also means that probably another quarter of the people you speak to will have had a relationship with or be related to someone with depression and have some conception of the problems you are going through.

50 years ago, it was a stigma to be black - now people don't even think about it.

Hold on - the world is changing.

not a mused
Rating
Hi Betty I like yourself suffer depression every thing you say is correct .It is a horrible disorder& bi-polar which I have diagnosed also ,that went unnotice untill recently was the root of my trouble .Nobody understands these complaints untill they suffer them as well ,I was accused of pretending to be ill by all and sundry at first ,you soon find out your friend(s) as i did the hard way, I sympathise
with you .Best wishes .

Awl
Rating
I rather thought that people who suffered with Depression were no hopers, can't just "get it together", UNTIL, I fell with it myself. It is a horrible black hole and no-one can understand you, not even yourself. I was offered medication, but because drugs worry me, did not accept. I opted for counselling and this was, by far, the best thing that I ever did. I feel that maybe I am falling down again, but know that the best way is to talk - not to a friend or a family member, but to someone totally impartial.
I hope that you can see you way out soon and I urge you to contact me via email at alisonvarma@hotmail.com should you like to chat.
Be brave and try to be happy. Good luck

paragong
no one knows what people go through with depression and how much it messes you up and of the mental illness thing that gets people going ive had it now for about 20 years
the thing is you look alright so they think you should be alright
even my own brother said that theres nothing wrong you you want a good shake thats all your bone idle that really hurrt me i expected a little more than that from one of my own i feel that i dont want nothing to do with him anymore i dont even speak now
it makes you feel worse when people have a go at you through no fault of your own if they were with you all the time they would soon find out the best thing to do is tell to piss off and mind thre own buisness .

Merovingian
Even in todays "modern" society any illness concerning the brain is frowned upon. I have a family member who suffers from acute depression and it really gets to me, so I can fully empathise with his wife and kid. Ive heard folk say," He should pull himself together and snap out of it " but these morons dont have the first idea of what he is going through. Depression can be deep seated in the mind meaning GPs sometimes have to resort to therapies like hypnosis etc. This can be very dangerous, as during the hypnosis certain childhood events may surface which the unconscious mind has buried for sanities sake. You know the types of thing I mean...! This leaves the patient with a legal and HUGE moral dilemma. So without going into the details of just a couple of reasons for depression, people should take a moment to think before they condemn. One in three of us will suffer from a mental illness at some point in our lives. It pays to keep that in mind

anna
Rating
It's not so much the meds, it's that many people depend on the chemicals to solve the problem. Only medication only treats a symptom. If you don't deal with the root of the depression, it will come back to bite you. I speak from experience. I had to delve deeper into my life and self than I ever thought possible, make changes in myself and also in my situation. In my particular case, this meant breaking some unhealthy relationships and distancing myself from people who were doing more harm than good...some in my own family. And not everyone around you is going to like the changes, especially if you have been the family or system's "designated patient" for a while. Because as long as you are down, depressed and seen as "weak", they can feel "better" about themselves by contrast.
Yes, there are conditions such as bipolar disorder in which the depression itself is only a symptom of an organic imbalance which can be corrected only by lifetime medication...but when it is truly an emotional depression, you can't live on pills forever and hide your head in the sand. Much better to deal with the problems and move on into the sunlight.

Faith ((Ninja and Ducky))
i don't think it has a stigma per se, but a lot of people do not want to be inconvenienced by it, whether it's family, friends, colleagues, faculty members and so on. It can feel as though you're walking on egg shells with a person who has depression. I was wrongly diagnosed with manic depression a few years ago and put on anti-depressents. It did change the way people interacted with me, especially my friends who basically stopped coming to see me. I guess no one wants to be around a depressive. I think another reason people are so sceptical of it is because when you have never experienced depression you believe it to be a curable illness and people who have it, need to want to help themselves. This is not the case - there is no point of saying 'pull yourself together' to a person with depression as they cannot help themselves.

starstruck_31
I'm from North Belfast, and over here, and in West Belfast too, our suicide rates have rocketed, partly because of the stigma attached to depression, which therefore makes people uncomfortable seeking help. I don't know why people are so negative towards it, but it is a similar attitude over here which is making so many people suffer in silence, rather than speak out about it. Its so hypocritical-we can say "My mum has cancer", which is many times self-induced by smoking (but of course deserves no less compassion) and get bucket loads of sympathy. But if we say "My Mum suffers from depression", which is in no way self-induced, we get odd looks and smart remarks. I don't understand, and to be honest I hope I never do, because I don't want to be one of those people. And good for you for getting help!!!!

scarlet o'hara
Rating
My opinion is that the word is used too loosely! Everyone says they are depressed.......what happened to 'feeling down' due to the everyday stresses of life!
I also feel that many people take anti-dep too easily. Some problems/struggles you have to work through yourself given a bit of time.
I understand that some people do suffer depression for no reason, chemical inbalance and so on and i fully understand why these people can use the term 'depression' and take medication for it.
People forget that there is a difference with stress and depression.
I had a grandmother that was 'depressed' for many years so i loathe when people use the phrase loosely when life is a little hard.
We all have hard times in life, isnt that why they say ' this is hell, then you go to heaven'!!!!! Trying to remain positive always helps and to remember every problem has a solution!
I feel that everyone has different tolerances and diff views on taking meds and i think that is up to every individual.

Wild Sage
Because of Hollywood and the media and the unrealistic way they portray mental illness.

Also, some people are stupid and they make assumptions and statements without knowing all the facts. Then other people believe them, and the next thing you know, millions of people falsely believe that "People with depression just need to get over it instead of taking meds" or "ADD is just an excuse for bad parenting." They don't understand that depression and ADD are actual disorders that can be treated.
Please, everyone, don't make judgements without knowing the facts and the research behind it!!! As Bob Dylan said, "Don't criticize what you can't understand."

sasha
Rating
i suppose the people who leave those comments don't have enough understanding on depression and anti depressants, or they are just going on their experience which isn't completely helpful when there are so many different types of antidepressants, and what may not work for some, does work for others because we are all different.
i think some types of depression can only be treated with meds cos they change the chemical imbalance in the brain, so those people have to take them in order to feel normal.

Spence
The reason many people frown upon anti-depressants is because of mis-information. Although anti-depressants are not for everyone, as you rightly say the benefits outweigh the negatives. Although anti-depressants relieve many of the symptoms of depression, they are not a cure. And I think that is why people may frown upon them, because they think they do not work (in the long term). But many people need to be reminded, the same is true for any mental disorder - there are no cures. In my opinion depression is a psycho-bio-social problem and thus it will take more than a biological method (anti-depressants) to combat this illness.

Although therapies are another method of helping to combat depression, clinical trials show that they are no more effective than taking medication alone. The most effective method of treating depression is a combination of drug and therapy treatment.

Many people with depression (I am talking about major depression here) need anti-depressants before they are able to embark on a psychological therapy since anti-depressants help to relieve the feelings of hopelessness and lack of motivation. If someone as no motivation or feels hopeless than it is very difficult to work with them.

I

kendal
because of ignorance
There is a chemical (serotonin i think ) missing in the brain that causes depression,
would people ask a diabetic to go without insulin? (i dont think so)
why ask a person with depression to go without medication.
about time people read up about this before commenting,
words hurt .

missbehaving666
The trouble wiv anti-depressants, i think, is that the person taking them doesn't actually deal wiv the matter that made them depressed in the first place!! An excellent example is........ A good friend of mine had a huge tragedy in which her baby died as a result of cot death!! Counselling wasn't offered which i think would have dealt with her emotions a lot better than the drugs which were freely offered!! As a result,10yrs later she's still on them and she still hasn't come to terms with her loss!!! I think the best medicine is time and making sure you feel, however bad. Cos it does get easier and it makes us stronger.

DS
Rating
Depression is seen as being weak, a flaw in the personality, loss of control. In today's society people expect a quick fix or a time limit on any problem, and are often unsympathetic towards sufferers. If you trust your doctor take the anti-depressants when offered, it can be your first step to recoverey.

edgarl
Rating
Unfortunately those who have not had close contact with this illness seem to think it is either weakness or lead swinging. This is very insensitive. I can immediately think of one very hard worker and a brave ex serviceman who have suffered this way. The unsymphatetic should be grateful they cannot appreciate what is involved.

Nneave
Rating
Too many people think mental health is made up. That the sufferers should just pull themselves together and grow up. It's not your problem it's theirs.

In the past Anti-depressants have had a bad press due to over prescribing. Doctors are far more aware and the risks are greatly reduced. It is important to keep taking your medication and when the time comes to wean yourself off them as your Doctor instructs.

Good luck

psychoticgenius
The simple answer is that because they cannot SEE what is wrong, they tend to have a mistrust of it.

sweetkiss
Rating
because people don't understand. everything that is not considered "normal" is stigmatized in our society, haven't you noticed? funny thing is I don't know anyone who is "normal" just lots of people trying to hide the "abnormalities" because they think people will stereotype them if they new... which they probably would... cuz it's just a crazy dumb viscious cycle.

Number 3
Rating
Unfortunately, most mental illnesses still seem to have a huge stigma attatched to them, and I don't think this is helped by the current surge of people getting signed off with 'depression and anxiety' - this makes people assume that all of us are just lazy people who don't want to work, whereas in reality a lot of us would give anything to be well enough to work.

I don't know what we can do about this though, how can we change societies veiw on depression? It certainly won't be an overnight thing.

Also, there have been a lot of controversial news stories regarding antidepressants, so a lot of people are very fearful. News progammes like Panorama that talk about drugs like Seroxat are very sensationalist and cause a lot of hysteria. The media needs to be more responsible with how it discussed issues like this. Yes, Seroxat can cause problems in some people (I was one of them) but it has benefited a lot of people.

Others see the tablets as an 'easy way out' and think that we should just be able to pull our socks up - they don't seem to realise that if we could just click our fingers and get better, we would!

The use of antidepressants is a personal choice, doctors also need to focus on 'talking therapies', but we shouldn't forget the benefit these drugs have to many people.

That said, I've seen a lot of people answering questions on depression with statements such as "Just go to your doc and ask for xyz - its great for me!". That sort of advice isn't helpful, medication is an individual thing, and people should think careful and discuss things with their doctor. Tablets are a cure-all thing, they aren't wonder drugs - they can make life a little easier, but it isn't the only answer.

I admire your bravery in admitting your problems, it can be so hard to be honest about it when people seem so narrow minded about mental illness. I too suffer from depression, and hope to be able to help someone here like I've been helped by other people. Good luck on your journey.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy