Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Is it acceptable to rely on someone else for happiness?

Do you ever want to just run away?
Just get away from the responsiblities of being mother, wife, taxi driver,house keeper ect.. Whats a good way to just relax when you have all this built up stress?
Additional Details

Answer first correctly and get 10 points...........?
What antidepressant was one of the teens on during the Columbine incident?

A) Prozac
B) Zoloft
C) Effexor
D) Luvox
E) P...

I think I'm bi-polar?
I am 14 years old and everyone I talk to seems to associate my moods with adolecence, but I've started to notice that my mood swings are alot more violent than anybody else I know. One day I can ...

Why can't I just snap out of it?
I am very sensitive and get depressed easily. I feel empty as I lost my boyfriend and my job. I just want to snap out of it and start better care of myself. I just know don't know how. My ...

How can i love this baby when the father has made me feel so worthless?

How can I shake this off I don't know what's wrong with me?
This is not like me I'm feeling very down tonight I don't know why nothing has happened to me I feel like I could burst into tears but there's no reason for it. I suppose everyone has ...

I cant sleep...?
i have my hours mixed up. i sleep in the day and a stay up in the night. no matter how hard i try i cant get my hours turned around!!!! i need some help with this delima. so please... HELP ME!!!!!!...

Aliens replacing my wife???
Hi,

When I was about 18 I got really anxious and started having panic attacks for about 18 months. About 9 months in I started to think I was being poisoned by my parents and that aliens ...

On a scale of 1-10, how crazy do I sound?
I just chased an 11 year old girl down th street for being rude to me. I'm a 30 year old woman. Should I seek help? What is wrong with me?...

I think I hate my 1 year old daughter?
She is 15 mths old
I rarely have tender feelings for her
I always shout at her, hit her, easily get mad at her for the silliest reasons, i treat her as if she is a grown up, not a baby.

My daughter tried to kill herself?
1 week ago my daughter took a bottle of pills and consumed half a bottle of vodka. She was in hospital for 3 days, but is now home with us. She has started thearpy, and I've talked to her, and ...

I want to kill myself?
I MISS MY EX BOYFRIEND AND I AM MOVING OUT OF MY PARENTS HOUSE AND I FEEL LIKE I HAVE HURT THEM AND I JUST FEEL LIKE I HURT EVERYONE I HAVE KNOWN IN MY LIFE SO IF I DIE I WON'T CAUSE ANYMORE HURT...

Is self-harm a selfish act?
What if no one knows or very few know?
Additional Details
"but one does one personally gain by harming themselves?"
It&#...

What is bio-polar?
I been having problems and they been telling me that i am depressed and any med. i am on just don't seem to work! And one day i was really ***** and someone said something i just lost it and my ...

Is piercing a form of self injury?
I was just wondering your thoughts and feelings on this subject. If a person pierces themselves with a safety pin or thumbtack, do you think this is a form of self harm?...

Are you scared of death??

What can i do to stop cutting?
I feel depressed alot and just seeing blood gives me back some sense of reality i yearn for but all my friends dont want me to. what should i do?
Additional Details

I am feeling very depressed and want to die. help?
i was standing on the top floor of a multi story car park on saturday and felt like jumping off but my gf was there and she stopped me and took me home. i fear she might leave me because... well i ...

How do you know if your depressed ?

wii_fo_eva
Why do people cut themselves?
on tv you hear about teenagers cutting themselves. why do they do it?

g s
Rating
I knew a girl in high school who did this. She was a sociopath who wanted attention and pity. What she needed was long term mental health care.

merrigandesign
Rating
they are twisted in there monds and think that it is the way to vent thier pain.
This is a misconception on thier part.
It is actualy a crying out from them that they need mental help

Dana o :-)
Rating
because when there hurting they seem to want to cut them selves and i guess to them that relieves the pain

lexi
to relieve stress, they say it makes them feel in control, sort of for the same reasons as people become anorexic.

OLD SPIT
THEY TYPICALLY FALL INTO THE CLASS THEY CALL BODERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER. LOOK IT UP FOR YOURSELF BUT LOOK AT MORE THAN ONE. THEYA RE CUTTERS AND THEY TEND TO THINK THINGS ARE MUCH WORSE THAN THEY REALLY ARE. AS A COUNSER TOLD ME "JOE" EVERTHING IS NOT AN EMERGENCY! LOT MORE TO IT THAN THAT. I KNOW. THE VERY WORSE THING IS THEY DON'T BOND WITH ANYBODY VEYHWELL, EVEN THEIR MOTHER WHCICH IS OFTEN THE SOURCE-- OUTRAGEOUS SENSE OF ABANDONMENT. AFRAID TO FORM LONGTERM RELATIONSHIPS. RUNAWAY DADS AND FRIEND. JOB PROBLEMS. ETC. TENDTO BE VERY SMART THOUGH. PILLS DON'T HELP AND SHRINKS DON'T WANT THEM.

Dusty C
Every person that I have ever heard of cutting themselves didn't have much of a reason. My question is this, What's the reason for cutting yourself after your incrediblely long teenage life? There isn't. I think a lot of people that cut themselves do out of boredom or a lack of intelligence. There isn't much of a point to it, is there? I heard of a man who literally lost his face. A virus in the bread he was eating built up over the years and ate away at his facial tissues. And he didn't commit suicide or cut himself. THose who are depressed usually get meds.

redundantredundancy
to exert control, get attention, or release endorphins.

jillbeast
Rating
Adults, kids and teens all do it. It's a mental disorder along the lines of Anorexia.

http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/mental_health/cutting.html

Cabana C
Rating
They are emotionally disturbed with no coping skills.

happy
it is a mental illness. Many functioning people in society have a mental illness. The cutting is stimulation of the senses, believing that the pain of life will seep out of the hole, some people like it in a way, etc...

Country Girl
Rating
I actually believe that they think the blood running out of there body is releasing the pain that they hold. I don't think it is all about attention because if it was then they would be more public about it. I mean, most cutters (as they are called) hide the fact that they do cut themselves. That does not make it OK by any means and I also believe that these people need some serious psychiatric help.

iluv2dnc13
most ppl cut themselves becuz they are depressed.they cut them selves usually cuz it takes their brain away from the hurt there and puts it on their wrists. it takes away their problems, like drugs and achohol.

ddmynx
When i was younger i used to do it because i lived in a house that drove me insane and i couldn't say anything so to relieve the stress and escape to another world that i could control i would cut myself...it gave me power and comfort.I think it is important that if any one knows of any one who is doing it not to confront with the attention theory...i hid mine it was a personal escape,but if people are making them visible it is very likely they need someone to be there for them they just don't know how to say so

D34thd34l3r
Rating
theres many reasons
as an ex-cutter myself
sometimes stress just gets to you and you cant find another way to let it out
at the moment it seems perfectly fine
then you feel worse about doing it
and it can become a cycle

ive also know people that did it for attention
people who arent happy with themselfs or how they are/look also look at it as a way of correcting or punishing themselves

self mutilation is a very complicated thing

Jane B
Rating
They cut themselves to dull the pain. They do not do it for attention like someone suggested. Most cutters hide their cuts by doing it in places people do not see. Not all cutters do it on their arms.

delux_version
To relieve tension. makes them feel alive. My daughter -in -law does this. She's a beautiful person inside and out. Actually I think she stopped.

KiwiMartini
There are many different reasons why people cut themselves. Some people feel so numb on the inside that they cut to feel alive. Some cut to see their own blood (related to the previous sentence). Some do it to relieve the stress and pain that they feel in their lives. Then there are those few who do it for attention.

Vampire Goth
Rating
People who cut or self-injure sometimes have other mental health problems that contribute to their emotional tension. Cutting is sometimes (but not always) associated with depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, obsessive thinking, or compulsive behaviors. It can also be a sign of mental health problems that cause people to have trouble controlling their impulses or to take unnecessary risks. Some people who cut themselves have problems with drug or alcohol abuse.
Some people who cut have had a traumatic experience, such as living through abuse, violence, or a disaster. Self-injury may feel like a way of "waking up" from a sense of numbness after a traumatic experience. Or it may be a way of reinflicting the pain they went through, expressing anger over it, or trying to get control of it

knicker_please
because they have emotional pain they cant handle and hurting them selves makes the pain kinda go away for awhile. or suicide because all the blood comes out and yeah you know...

goddess
if you ask them you get a vatiety of answers. They are so numb the pain is better then feeling nothing. The pain inside is so intense, they cut to let it out. Most people who cut themselves are trauma survivers and the atrocities done to them are not easily understood by those who haven't been there. It is possible that cutting is telling the "health professional" to shut up and listen.

It is tragic and very sad.

cubcowboysgirl
Focus Adolescent Services: Self-InjuryIt's called many things -- self-inflicted violence, self-injury, self-harm, parasuicide, delicate cutting, self-abuse, self-mutilation (this last ...
www.focusas.com/SelfInjury.html - 58k - Cached - Similar pages

Cutting/Self InjuryDiscusses common myths and offers advice on stopping, telling someone and how to help a friend.
www.teenhealthcentre.com/articles/publ... - 30k - Cached - Similar pages

S.A.F.E. Alternatives :: Self-Abuse Finally EndsSelf-Injury is known by many names, including self-abuse, self-mutilation, deliberate self-harm, parasuicidal behavior. Customer Service ...
www.selfinjury.com/ - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

Self-injury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaSelf-cutting in female adolescents. Psychotherapy, 32(1), 162-171. Zila, L. M. & Kiselica, M. S. (2001). Understanding and counseling self-mutilation in ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_harm - 56k - Cached - Similar pages

CuttingCutting is a type of self-injury, or SI. Cutting is more common among girls, but guys sometimes self-injure, too. People may cut themselves on their wrists, ...
www.kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/ment... - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Self-Injury - Why Do I Keep Cutting Myself?“I Keep Cutting Myself and I Can't Stop!� What Is Self-Injury or Self-Mutilation? Self-injury is not something people talk about very often, ...
www.coolnurse.com/self-injury.htm - 41k - Cached - Similar pages

Cutting: Self-Injury by TeensA report by a teenager on the true experiences of young people who have harmed themselves with suggestions for seeking help.
nohurt.org/edition%202/cutting.html - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Prevalence of Cutting, Self-Mutilation and Self-Harm among TeenagersSeven percent of teenagers harm themselves with knives or razor blades.
web4health.info/en/answers/border-self... - 20k - Cached - Similar pages

Cutting - From the teenager's perspective ...She said "it's called 'Cutting- overcoming and understanding self-mutilation' by Steve Levenkron. I think the guy who wrote it is a therapist and he talked ...
eqi.org/cutting1.htm - 64k - Cached - Similar pages

cuttingimage of Christina Ricci - see more about her experiences with cutting below. "Dabrowski was keenly interested in self-mutilation as a phenomenon suggestive ...
www.talentdevelop.com/cutting.html

♥Victoria♥
yes, some do it for attention, but the ones who try to hide it do it because they dont know any other way to handle their pain, becuase if they try to talk about it, either they are made fun of or people wont listen. They do it to show themselves that there is something wrose then what they are feeling, and the pain from the wound and they blood shows them that they are in control...it is a confusing matter.
but if people continue to make fun of them the cutting wil just continue and get worse....until they kill them selves, either from suicide or bleeding to death...

Hannah Radar
This is a mental illness--just like addiction and eating disorders are. People need their fix to stop the pain. This is extremely dangerous--and a doctor should be consulted immediately if someone is found to be doing it.

Rating
Because the pain they inflict on themselves takes away the emotional pain they can't conquer.

mac_dog76
Rating
i am now a very boringly normal and happy 31 year old but spent most of my teenage years self harming with blades and cigarette burns. for me there were a few reasons for it. i was desperately unhappy and felt very different from my peers ( i now know that this was because i am gay). cutting myself was a way of showing the people around me how unhappy i was how self loathing i was and a way of asking for help. when i cut myself it was like opening the valve on a pressure cooker or like someone taking a hit of a drug. i would get myself totally worked up something and cutting myself would instantly release the pressure and make me relax. i would often fall asleep afterwards. i suppose the best way to describe it is that it turns the emotional pain into physical pain which i found so much easier to cope with. it was also a control thing as if everything in my life was out of control and this was the only thing a had control over, i guess a bit like anorexia. thankfully i haven't self harmed for years and my scars now disgust me but having the experience has made me a more understanding person especially in my job as a nurse

neurotic41
My son is a cutter and he use to do it when he was feeling very stressed or cannot deal with certain situations. He says that he cuts now as a way to express himself.

closetmeateater
Get yourself a lot of info on this. It's a huge problem. It's not just in teens, but here's a very informational, helpful website.

http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/mental_health/cutting.html

SnaX
From an Ex-cutter.

I did not do it for attention, in fact I would cover it up, it was embarrassing, I didn't want everyone to know.

I did it when I felt stressed out.
When something horrible was going on it my life (such as my mom having cancer).

I sometimes have trouble expressing myself, due to some anti-social problems I have.

I wanted to break something or scream, but if I did that, then I would have to deal with others and my emotions.
I didn't want to empose on them, or be weak in front of my mom (when I did it for the cancer reason). I didn't like people to see when I felt helpless. I didn't want to hear them tell me everything was going to be ok.

When I cut, my mind went away from the problem,
and my body's shock, took away from whatever was going on.

I felt a release of all my anger, fears, sadness.
And then shame and guilt for doing it.

One day I decided to stop, and it took a lot of time
to completely stop.

I still want to sometimes, but I don't.
I usually write, cook, sometimes even talk to someone about how I'm feeling, or take something apart nowadays
I channel my emotions.

ramjet
Rating
it's a control issue. They feel the no longer have control over their lives and cutting themselves without serious injury is a way of controling themselves.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.084
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy