Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

OCD, or just weird?
Writing your name on every page in the little name space given at the top of the page in a workbook. I only need to write it once, on the first page, or get a sticker and write my name on it. I ...

What is wrong with mee?
yesterday in class i asked the teacher if i could go to the toilet she screamed in my face saying no sit down! i then screamed and swore in her face got up, threw a desk across the room walked out ...

Is it normal to have suicidal thoughts everyday?
I go through bouts of feeling happy and sad but even when i'm happy i still think about them....

My life is going downhill. dr is offerring me antidepressents not sure whether to take them or not.?
everything in my life is crap. Nothing goes right..EVER. I spoke to my gp and recommended antidepressents. I am in a relationship, but its not going great due to my lack of confidence and motivation. ...

Is bi-Polar a real disease or an excuse?
Hi -

I have Bipolar and have noticed some interesting perspectives from the "Mentally Correct" population. Please answers these questions truthfully. Read on...

It ...

I've been depressed for a while now and I've reached a point where I drink myself to sleep. What should I do?

Why am i sad?
Why am i sad i have a decent life but to many mistakes and no one beleives me what do i ...

Just help me please...?
i'm not one of those people that ask everyone if i'm fat. i keep it held inside. i know im not obese, but i feel so uncomfortable with my weight. once i eat i fell depressed and if i gain a ...

Help... i'm 19 and have no ambition motivation goals or direction in life...?
Like it said, i feel like i'm not going anywhere. All i do is work, suft the net, make out, and party sometimes.. I have 2 years of college done. But i have no idea where i see myself in 5 or 10 ...

What do you like the most about yourself?
self image......

Self-harm?
i've been self harming for 4 years (i'm 16). i managed to stop it for about a few months. but because i'm so stressed out, i'm tempted on harming myself again. i am punching ...

Am I depressed?
I am really down lately. My marriage is in trouble, my son is disabled and it is difficult at times, I lost a great paying job and now work for much less and I just feel like everything is down on me....

Very Confused, And Attention Starved?
Okay, long story. I'll shorten it down. Aparrently, I'm attention starved. I've got the bad habit of telling everyone my inner thoughts and feeling. I also over react to everything. N...

I need your help. My boyfriend is an addict?
My boyfriend is an addict, and he just expects me to not fuss about the drugs. He is addicted to crack cocaine and ecstacy and he has been to rehab seven times, but each time he comes out, two weeks ...

Do i have a mental disorder?
I am a 15 year old girl.
I often think that my friends don't really want to be friends with me. I feel like they just feel sorry for me. I also start fights with them for no reason. I like ...

COULD I BE DEPRESSED?
most people describe me as a funny, smart and pretty girl but recently ive been crying constantly and i feel isolated and so alone. i hav tried 2talk to a friend but she kind of disregards it and ...

Depression?
I Suffer from social anxiety disorder and its interfering with my life
well.. i have no life lol because of it my mums gona fone my doctor and try and get me a phsychiatrist or something to help ...

Tell me why my husband blames all his bad behavior on being bipolar - isn't he ever to blame for hurting me?
Ever since my husband was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, all of his bad, even abusive behavior gets blamed on the lack of meds before treatment, porblems with meds since treatment, or just the ...

What makes u happy?

Anyone out there with excessive anxiety?
I have an anxiety disorder (Anxiety NOS) and I had a really bad day. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope?
Additional Details
Yes, I do know what NOS means. (Not otherwise ...

BABYDOLL!!!
What is mental abuse?

Mr. Maksuta Rocks IN Bed!!!
Rating
when someone calls another a mean name

or

if they are mentaly retarded

very important pig club
mental abuse can either be emotional abuse or educational abuse.

emotional abuse is belittling someone, calling them names, putting them down, etc.

educational abuse is failing to get your children to school

Bullwinkle J Moose
Rating
putting them down, insults, telling them they are worthless

sango
Mental or Verbal abuse is when you say hurtful things to someone to put them down.

Bonnie S
Rating
Many things are mental abuse. A person can repeatedly yell at you.
Threatening to hurt you or your child is a form of mental, verbal and even considered physical abuse. Continuing to put you down and say hurtful things to you and about you to make you feel less like a person. It is the hardest type of abuse to get reported since it is often the abusers word against the abused.

Zac M
Rating
a beached whale on hamburger buns

natureschaos2
Rating
For a child: Mental or Emotional abuse is a pattern of behavior that attacks a child's emotional development and sense of self-worth. Emotional abuse includes excessive, aggressive or unreasonable demands that place expectations on a child beyond his or her capacity. Constant criticizing, belittling, insulting, rejecting and teasing are some of the forms these verbal attacks can take. Emotional abuse also includes failure to provide the psychological nurturing necessary for a child's psychological growth and development -- providing no love, support or guidance .

The second site has additional info on mental abuse

ianchelseanutter
When someone is being put down all the time, told they are useless and so on. Male abusers use physical abuse because of their extra strength, with mental being a secondary form, female abusers use mental as the main abuse with physical as a secondary form.
And I am not saying that all women are abusive!

whosyurmamma
Rating
calling you names . Insults . yelling at you alot . that is all mental abuse

vicentev22
where u actually get someone to belive that they are the worst of worst and they wont even believe in them

Kristian S
Rating
Not physical abuse,
but teasing ppl and intimadating ppl

ann s
Mental abuse is so often overlooked, especially by women who don't recognize it. We all know what physical abuse is. The striking of someone using fists, objects, etc. etc. Mental abuse is far more difficult to put your finger on. If a person constantly puts you down...tells you you are worthless, unattractive, lazy, fat, useless...that comes under mental abuse. Many men will try to control a woman using mental abuse (yes, women do it to men also). You must be aware of anyone who tries to make themselves feel better by making you feel less of a person. You should never ever be in a relationship where mental abuse abounds. You don't need it!!!

Rachel~desu~!
Rating
Mental abuse is when someone uses words to put you down. Anything that effects your mind, your emotions.

For example..."You're stupid", "You'll never do anything right"

That type of stuff.

Summer <3
Rating
When you always put someone down
When you say that that person cant do something
When what you say hurts someones feeling

Diana Lovehills
Rating
HI there and I hope you are not going through it. It is harder to deal with than physical abuse. With physical abuse, you feel the pain, see the bruise and can rationalize that it is time to get the heck out of the situation. Mental abuse, picks away at who you are. It starts out slowly and you do not even realize it half the time. Little things, like, not letting you feel good about seeing you friends because it take away time and attention from your partner, and before you know it your friends have moved on and you only have your partner. Telling you to cut your hair, wear this or wear that, telling you and treating you like you are stupid, knocking your opinions, family, friends, music, hopes and dreams, and no matter how much you change for them, they are never satisfied and the demand become more and more. Telling you that you are lucky to have them, that you could not find anyone better, that you are a loser, your family are losers, your friends are losers, you look and act like a loser........
Anything that makes you doubt yourself and makes you feel bad for being who you are.
That does not mean that constructive criticism is abuse. When someone suggests something to you that could help you become a better person, or expand your horizons so that you can reach the goals and realize some of your dreams, that is not a bad thing.
Abuse tells you you are not worthy of a better life and your dreams are worthless, Criticisim, helps you find ways of becoming everything that you hope to be and then some, it provides you with information that helps you adjust the path you are on, it does not knock the path out from under your feet.
Hope this helps

Diamond B
Rating
putting down a person to the point where thier self esteem drops low
and they think of themselves as worthless even though they are worth more for example you tell a girl she is ugly everyday for like a year (when she is actually beautiful) she will start to believe it.

Morgan F
Rating
when somebody says very horrible things to somebody else

ab
Speaking in a derogatory way to someone else that affects their self confidence, self image, etc.

For example: telling someone "you're worthless and will never amount to anything" or "you're ugly"

Mummy T
mental abuse is putting someone down at all times, making him/her feel less than. always comparing that person to someone else. Anything that makes a person feel as if their worth nothing is mental abuse. Example your boyfriend of girlfriend telling you, you can't get nobody but them to love you and comparing you to their ex.....

piiswc
treating a person in such a way verbally that it causes them suffering

BOB DYLAN
y/a is mental abuse

mcr_saved_my_lifee
Mental abuse can be like name calling etc. or anything that can cause emotional pain.

gharson
yelling at people and telling them bad things

martinmagini
Being cruel to someone else with words is mental abuse. So is dominating another person, controlling another person, or causing another person to feel bad.

canada_winnipeg_man
Words won’t leave any measurable physical damage, but they will cause progressive, long-term harm. Never underestimate the power of words!
Being told you are “stupid�, “ugly�, “lazy� or “worthless� is mental abuse. The first times you hear it, it will hurt, naturally. In time you “may get used to� hearing it from someone. That’s when you start to internalise and believe it. When that happens you are doing the other person’s work of putting you mentally down for them. This is why your feelings of self-worth suffer increasingly over time.
Somehow, whatever happens, however it starts, the ultimate blame is always yours,that is mental abuse.

The feeling of guilt is something that many people suffer internally from. This is so painful because when you are held responsible for everything by someone, you cannot even protect yourself. Their main argument is that if you did not say or do a thing or the other, the bad thing would never happened.

When you stop trusting in yourself and your own feelings and judgment, then you must know that the mental abuse against you has gone really too far. When you feel hurt or that what happens to you is unjust, you are in such a bad dilemma, because you cannot see how you can feel so wrong when the other one is throwing stones at you.

The pain caused by someone can only be undone by them. You must make them acknowledge your feelings or, otherwise, you will subject to a continuous mental abuse.

We all need to trust in our feelings. If someone once treats you great and then treats you bad for no reason, it is a case of mental abuse.
When you are subject to mental abuse, you feel like you are on the verge of breaking something.

Mental abuse turns your life in a nightmare, you feel the need to please the "someone", but at the same time, you hate what it is being said to you.

Fear of the future and low self esteem are the main causes that hinder the mentally abused to move on. There are weapons you can use against them. As words were used to get you mentally down, now it is time to know that they can also offer you solace and self confidence. You must get over what happened to you and trust in your future.

You must feel strong and believe in you in order to build up the life you want for yourself.

diana :)
Rating
Insults.
Mind games..like,
buying everyone a toy,
but you.
and stuff.
Just things that hurt
your feeling and make you
feel like poop.

Wascaly Wabbit
Negative comments all the time.....

nhlgeezer
Rating
Yelling at someone, insulting someone, etc.......

getting dirt[y] in the sand
Rating
when someone degrades someone by using words.

Clint G
Rating
YOU FAT AND STUPID IM THE BEST YOU CAN GET BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WANTS YOU!!!!

that would be mental abuse.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.154
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy