Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

My OCD is out of control.....?
It is ruining my life, I cannot get anything done in a timely manner. My anxiety is getting worser especially when I am stress out. I am tired of doing my same old routines such as checking doors and ...

Do you remember being born?
Serious question here.
I think it's funny that being born is the most amazing thing that's happened to us all, and no one remembers it. Is it even mentally possible to remember ...

What are the key steps to becoming psychologically stronger?
I'm very sensitive and emotional... I'm easily hurt psychologically and become sad/lonely. What are the key steps to becoming psychologically stronger?

Thanks......

What is the best way to Relax or get rid of stress?
I have been really stressed out lately and I need to Relax and get my mind off of things....

Lhave low self esteem, depression and alcohol dependancyproblems.?
l get anxiety attacks at the slightest thing some days, most days at the mo. And l really do have no one to talk to. l am more likely to recieve a punch than a cuddle from those who say they care ...

How do I get rid of intense rage inside me?
I feel so much anger and rage bubbling up inside me and I don't know what to do. I feel like smashing my head in to a window or stabbing myself with knives. Sometimes the anger is directed at ...

Insomnia!?
Hello,

I can't sleep, and I'd rather continuously refresh the yahoo answers page than stare blankly at the ceiling..you're probably the wrong people to ask at this time, ...

Should I just get stoned?
Should I shine all my responsibilities and just get baked?...

I have been having Suicidal thoughts for a few weeks now and I'm not sure how to tell my parents?
I have been having Suicidal thoughts for a few weeks now but I'm not sure how to tell my mom. Every time I tell her something important she calls everyone she knows and tells them or she ...

I keep on thinking about a thing again & again even though it can be useless and stupid .Is there such disease
Plz dont make fun of me after reading this but i am bothered with a very wierld problem. I dont know if anyone has this type of prolem & i know there wont be many . its like when i read something ...

WHAT ELSE IS AVAILABLE FOR DEPRESSION BESIDES meds?
WHAT ELSE IS AVAILABLE FOR DEPRESSION BESIDES MEDS?
Additional Details
what about ECT CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT IT...

Question about depression
Is the feeling of not wanting to live anymore a symptom or cause of depression? or does it depend on the person?...

When you've hit rock bottom (emotionally) what brings you back?
How many times will that same stimulus, or strategey work?...

Are you weird?
everyone has little weird things they do.. simular to habits...
One of mine is : the shapes buiscut box, on one side it says ' open other end' i never do, cause it doesnt make a ...

When you open this, be searous about it, cutting!?
Cutting your arms is NEVER the answer, right, but say if you did it, its not such a horrible thing, is it?...

Is it normal?
Is it normal to have an iminary friend at 18? No joke answers please. This is serious....

Do you ever talk to yourself?
I dont mean like those poor souls who have loud public arguments with themselves. Just occasionally when you are alone e.g. commenting on a tv show....

Blackouts or seizures from smoking pot....?
I used to smoke pot daily for almost two years then i decided to cut back and ever since then after I would smoke i would end up blaking out for several miutes and not knowing what happend at all. F...

Are paedophiles really that bad?

I'm suicidal. what should i do?
only serious answers, please....
i really want to get help. i'm so depressed. i'm really sick, i can't do anything because i always have a stomachache and feel nauseaus and always ...

vici
What happened to people one hundred years ago if they had panic attacks or a breakdown or psychiatric illness?

Roto
They were ignored or put into asylums where they were horribly abused.

Big Bad *****
In this country they would be locked away in an asylum, and have totally barbaric practices performed on them, that were allegedly thought of as progress.

Mia
They were put in mental hospitals, my university used to be the hospital for the county, but was considered too small within a decade of opening (not checking the facts but it was quite quick), so a new and larger one was opened the other side of the city. This only closed down within the past couple of years, though some small parts are still used, most is now derilict there with the de-institutionlisation of mental health (a money saving thing the NHS thought up of).

SOF+1
I dunno, well I suppose they do what I do, or did. That is, to go insane and be at your sanities wit, then see the light. It was a different world 500 years ago

breathe012
Rating
they had to take care about them self's, and for another people they probably were freaks, they probably were depressed but they handled it lke we do it today, shut up and try to live normaly

Animal mother!
Rating
Yes, that'd be a one way ticket to an asylum!

bernie c
They were locked up in asylums, not nice places and were just left and forgotten about, it's sad to think of.

alex s
Unfortunately they were considered to be possessed by the devil and locked away in lunatic asylums - this also happened to epileptics! its only been in the last 20 - 30 years that some of them have been released back into the community - many were put into these places as children and stayed there all their lives. A husband could get rid of his wife this way too - a sobering thought!

jenny flower
They were probably put in asylums.

dadw5boys
Rating
They took a little hammer built a little bridge and got the hell over it.
Life was too hard back then to sit around thinkin about me me me unless mom and dad allowed it.

sarah ann g
Rating
do you really want to know. they where puy away and druged not very nice poeple didnt understand the problen then but we do now thank god been locked away for having a breakdown or psychiatric illness sometime s thay were lock in little rooms like celled for been ill

oohbetty
Panic attacks weren't recognised then as I used to suffer them when I was 15 and my headmistress thought I was imagining it but I don't know how they helped people in those days. People who had breakdowns or mental illnesses were placed in asylums. Even people with downs syndrome.

Fontofall
Rating
They became members of parliament

K. Marx iii
Rating
They are assisted by men in white coats and locked up securely out of harms way.
A bit like now only now it is called "Sectioned under section 2 of the Mental Healt Act." Enjoy!

gordon3392
Yes they locked them up,,,,for years,,,

Schittzu
-----
Have you ever heard about Bedlam? It was a mental institution about 100 years ago. If a person was sent there or another, that's it. They never came out. There was no treatment as they didn't understand mental illness. Too often they were considered to be possessed by demons.

-----

psychclaire
Many years ago, people who had mental illnesses were stigmatised and classed as not being 'normal'. There were institutions where they were locked away and hidden in buildings on large, hidden grounds. Padded cells and straight jackets were used, and were sometimes chained up, the doctor being their 'masters'. Such people had no rights, and there was no Mental Health Act. People were washed in bath water, one after the other and clothes were put into a heap on the floor, and people had to take what they could. Sound horrendous, but is true! People who had dual diagnosis were called 'idiot savants' and were not shown any respect during the wars either.

Glad I didn't live those days, that would have been my life!

Crazygirl ♥ aka GT
MENTAL ASILUM

You know, like thoes carts with crazy ppl in them, in cartoons, they really did that.

Or some people just hid it, like VanGogh, he was depressed and suisidal, never told ppl

Dr Frank
Rating
There was little in the way of active medication at that time and these individuals were either hidden away if they had rich families and placed in asylums if they didn't.

friskygimp
they went to the loony bin which was a horrible existence.

permanent_denial
Rating
I remember hearing something about drilling holes in people's heads, can't remember if that was for mental illness or a physical illness though!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, August 31, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy