Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Do you think I will get a guy like this?
Okay. I'm almost 16, I have social anixiety and OCD

I always wanted to live in Hollywood, but i live in Canada. When I grow up I want to move to Canada and only stay in touch with my ...

Please help me.. this is a very serious question?
I know I have a problem I just can’t seem to fix it. I have an issue with self mutilation, I cut myself on my legs (to hide It) I can control not doing it but sometimes I snap… its really hard ...

My parents have rejected me, what's next...?
I have a family of my own, but through-out my life both my parents reject me, take me back, then reject me again. I have always tried to be a good daughter (no matter what age) but they demand ...

OCD, or just weird?
Writing your name on every page in the little name space given at the top of the page in a workbook. I only need to write it once, on the first page, or get a sticker and write my name on it. I ...

What is wrong with mee?
yesterday in class i asked the teacher if i could go to the toilet she screamed in my face saying no sit down! i then screamed and swore in her face got up, threw a desk across the room walked out ...

Is it normal to have suicidal thoughts everyday?
I go through bouts of feeling happy and sad but even when i'm happy i still think about them....

My life is going downhill. dr is offerring me antidepressents not sure whether to take them or not.?
everything in my life is crap. Nothing goes right..EVER. I spoke to my gp and recommended antidepressents. I am in a relationship, but its not going great due to my lack of confidence and motivation. ...

Is bi-Polar a real disease or an excuse?
Hi -

I have Bipolar and have noticed some interesting perspectives from the "Mentally Correct" population. Please answers these questions truthfully. Read on...

It ...

I've been depressed for a while now and I've reached a point where I drink myself to sleep. What should I do?

Why am i sad?
Why am i sad i have a decent life but to many mistakes and no one beleives me what do i ...

Just help me please...?
i'm not one of those people that ask everyone if i'm fat. i keep it held inside. i know im not obese, but i feel so uncomfortable with my weight. once i eat i fell depressed and if i gain a ...

Help... i'm 19 and have no ambition motivation goals or direction in life...?
Like it said, i feel like i'm not going anywhere. All i do is work, suft the net, make out, and party sometimes.. I have 2 years of college done. But i have no idea where i see myself in 5 or 10 ...

What do you like the most about yourself?
self image......

Self-harm?
i've been self harming for 4 years (i'm 16). i managed to stop it for about a few months. but because i'm so stressed out, i'm tempted on harming myself again. i am punching ...

Am I depressed?
I am really down lately. My marriage is in trouble, my son is disabled and it is difficult at times, I lost a great paying job and now work for much less and I just feel like everything is down on me....

Very Confused, And Attention Starved?
Okay, long story. I'll shorten it down. Aparrently, I'm attention starved. I've got the bad habit of telling everyone my inner thoughts and feeling. I also over react to everything. N...

I need your help. My boyfriend is an addict?
My boyfriend is an addict, and he just expects me to not fuss about the drugs. He is addicted to crack cocaine and ecstacy and he has been to rehab seven times, but each time he comes out, two weeks ...

Do i have a mental disorder?
I am a 15 year old girl.
I often think that my friends don't really want to be friends with me. I feel like they just feel sorry for me. I also start fights with them for no reason. I like ...

COULD I BE DEPRESSED?
most people describe me as a funny, smart and pretty girl but recently ive been crying constantly and i feel isolated and so alone. i hav tried 2talk to a friend but she kind of disregards it and ...

Depression?
I Suffer from social anxiety disorder and its interfering with my life
well.. i have no life lol because of it my mums gona fone my doctor and try and get me a phsychiatrist or something to help ...

i wish i was a punk rocker
What causes depression?

Baby Gyrl
chemical imbalances, usually too little serotonin .

cattbarf
Rating
As answer #1 states, the main answer is that certain chemicals that transmit feelings of happiness or satisfaction or related concepts are less concentrated than they should be, and the medications provided try to correct this inbalance. However, I am depressed, and have never had a chemical test analysis done to indicate that a sensor chemical is less powerful than it should be prior to prescribing a medication.

moonlight
It's a chemical imbalance in the brain in which there is not enough seratonin. It's hereditary. If yo ur family has a history of it, you may be likely to get it.

Every body deserves life!
Rating
different types, different causes. I have dysthymia caused by a chemical imbalance but also not being able to handle frustration. New mothers get it, people going through grief get it, crime victims too.

rainnew_tractyear3rd
When an account of yours being suspended and you can't even have a peek at your 'deceased' profile to add ALL your contacts back.

Justine L
it could be a bunch of things that cause an imbalance, most people were being too vague with you. it can be caused by a various of things, such as lack of nutrition, sleep, stress, shock, exercise. if you are depressed try to improve in these areas, meditation helps alot too.

i138152930
Check out WebMD for your answer.
http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/causes-depression

Exousia Skotos
Honestly, the answer isn't scientific, for it has nothing to do with our brain nor intelligence. I'm intelligent beyond compare and I'm happy being nothing and everything. Psychotic? Let me finish, this world is artificial, one day you'll realize gold is just a stone and the Bible isn't just a book. Rainbows may not be real, but the Bible helps out a lot when talking about the heart.

What is sloth? The sin of sadness. Did you know you cannot change the world, but you can change it's value.-Exousia Skotos

Life is a conundrum, and we are mere guinea pigs.

Aeros Fan
Rating
A hard object resting on a softer object.

Madison
Rating
alot of stress.

BoOmChIcKaBoOm
Rating
sadness

ayu
many things can cause a depression
you can learn all the factors at
en.wikipedia.org

muraledh
Rating
it is only a state of mind. ur mind. Drive urself out off depression, by going out, mixing with friends & engaging in Group activities. Restart all ur favourite activities & keep ur mind engaged on things other than the factor, that is responsible for ur state of depression.

Never be alone, all by urself - brooding indoors. Go out, freak out & enjoy urself.

stefannie
Lot's of things like just not finding your way around all that makes you sad, somethime we have to find out what the answer is not a doctor they are not the ones going through this depression. I know for they have not help me in years.

misslady81
i think it's from being sad and letting it get to you. when you are depressed you feel like things can't get better. i was depressed and got on meds, but i didn' tlike being on meds since i was still stressed out with life. i decided to deal with the issues that were bothering me and confronting the people who did me wrong and cutting out other people from my life. a lot of people will say it has to do with a chemical imbalance and that it's hereditary, but i believe it is caused thru experiences and not getting things resolved

hope a
depression often come frome a tragic lose of someone or something!

dada555
Rating
other negative people around you that drains all of your energy

LaurieDB
There are different types of depression. A situational depression comes because something has occurred that makes a person feel low, such as a death or loss of a job. This depression lifts in time, usually without the need for medication. Psychotherapy may be indicated.

Major Depressive Disorder is caused by chemicals that naturally occur in the brain. In order to have a diagnosis of major depression made, a person must meet certain diagnostic criteria as follows:

1. For a major depressive episode a person must have experienced at least five of the nine symptoms below for the same two weeks or more, for most of the time almost every day, and this is a change from his/her prior level of functioning. One of the symptoms must be either (a) depressed mood, or (b) loss of interest.
1. Depressed mood. For children and adolescents, this may be irritable mood.
2. A significantly reduced level of interest or pleasure in most or all activities.
3. A considerable loss or gain of weight (e.g., 5% or more change of weight in a month when not dieting). This may also be an increase or decrease in appetite. For children, they may not gain an expected amount of weight.
4. Difficulty falling or staying asleep (insomnia), or sleeping more than usual (hypersomnia).
5. Behavior that is agitated or slowed down. Others should be able to observe this.
6. Feeling fatigued, or diminished energy.
7. Thoughts of worthlessness or extreme guilt (not about being ill).
8. Ability to think, concentrate, or make decisions is reduced.
9. Frequent thoughts of death or suicide (with or without a specific plan), or attempt of suicide.
2. The persons' symptoms do not indicate a mixed episode.
3. The person's symptoms are a cause of great distress or difficulty in functioning at home, work, or other important areas.
4. The person's symptoms are not caused by substance use (e.g., alcohol, drugs, medication), or a medical disorder.
5. The person's symptoms are not due to normal grief or bereavement over the death of a loved one, they continue for more than two months, or they include great difficulty in functioning, frequent thoughts of worthlessness, thoughts of suicide, symptoms that are psychotic, or behavior that is slowed down (psychomotor retardation).

Keep in mind that there are other causes and/or conditions to consider, as noted above. If you think you may be suffering from a depressive condition, it is important that you seek medical attention, as clinical depression is a serious disorder than can gravely affect a person's life.

Best to you.

college girl
Rating
Lots of stuff. Abuse. Loss of loved ones. Feeling abandoned, rejected, etc. Someone's outlook on life. The everyday pains and loss we experience in life cause depression. It only matters that you beat it. It can be beaten.

Catherine
Rating
It is a chemical imbalance in the brain, but this is not the only reason. Sometimes it can occur from certain events or just growing older and realizing more about the world.

Medicine Woman
Rating
There are many different kinds of depression that can be caused by many different reasons. Most depression is caused from chemical imbalances in the brain. Some are caused by life threatening illnesses. Some are from having a baby, this can usually be treated fairly easily. Some are caused by chronic pain and some from PTSD. This is one of the hardest to treat. Medication cannot treat all depressions. Some can only be treated by therapy by a psychologist or a therapist. Psychiatrists mostly only offer medication.Sometimes it takes years to get better and other times the patient stays depressed their entire life.

brakedown61301
life. the brain more often then not works fine and if you get depresd thers a reason for it. not becouse of an inbalince of chems. thats how it sposed to work. dont blame the brain blame the life.

bettyboop
It could be caused by genetics, environmental causes, chemical imbalnce in the brain, hormonal imbalances, diet, some medications

Shannon
Rating
stress.
the real question is where does stress come from.

yir
Rating
yeah i have a depression and i dont even know why. its confusing. but like everyone says chemical imbalance - whatever that is

red_e_freddie
Rating
it could be many things.. Chemical embalance.

THings that are bothering you. Something in school, bills,(money woes) just stress etc.

sometimes you may think you are depressed but it could actually be anxiety ( thought I had depression but it was anxiety)

Carol (Yeah I said it!) G.
Rating
It's not always a chemical in-balance...depression is quite normal for a period of time when a major life change has occurred which are..divorce, death of a loved one, moving from a place you've lived a very long time, having an "empty nest" after your children have grown, having a longtime painful condition as arthritis, a terminal condition...there are a lot of "normal" reasons to be depressed. If it last too long, or you have thought of suicide then it's Clinical Depression and can be treated.

SMS
chemical inbalance is correct. however there are other causes such as events/situational and drug abuse. many do not take into account the last one. it is equally as important as the first two answers. be carefull; a lot of the answers given to you are not very accurate

hbuckmeister
Rating
Chemical imbalance can be one cause. Death of a loved one, Loss of a job, divorce............... The list goes on and on.

NEPAguy
Rating
For me drugs and alcohol did it... I dont do either anymore.. What i learned that id like to pass on to you is that taking a multi vitamin/mineral everyday in connection with 1,000 mils of vitamin C and perhaps the most important anti depression pill for me was when i got in the habit of taking 1,000 mils of L-Glutamine (an amino acid).. Of course you have to eat at least a few healthy meals everyday... You know home cooked stuff like mom always made!!!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy