Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Is addiction genetic?
is the strength and tolerance to a type of thing almost always genetic? i mean in terms of stuff like nicotine. I find it's easier for me to stop and go for very long periods without it, the ...

Does anyone else feel like that about cutting themselves (self-harm)?
This sounds really weird. Recently I've been thinking it would be quite nice to cut myslef to release a bit of stress. had a relatinship breakup, then a short exciting affair who dumped me so i ...

How would you gauge your mental state?
If there was a gauge for your mind, how would it read?

Healthy I dunno / S...

Do I give in?
I think i'm fighting depression my landlord has put my flat up for sale my partner thinks i'm sleeping with someone else, my mum and dad are getting divorced it's very messy but they ...

What are some good methods to go to sleep?
I really need to know so I can have more productive days with less lethargic feel. Please and thank you! :)...

Can feeling emotionally sick make you feel pysically sick?
Im just curious... I notice that sometimes when I feel really sad or something, I feel sick. Does this happen to other people?...

Was it a suicide attempt?
my mate.

took 13 paracetamol
night nurse
broke his knuckle
cut his wrists
got drunk

cutting his wrists didnt work as the blade was blunt and when he pushed ...

I don't know what to do and where to turn...?
I've been struggling with self-injury for the last 9 years. I want to stop, and I've been trying, but then I just go right back to it. Right now I'm severely depressed, and if things ...

I need help?
I feel like I need help.
I'm usually pretty sadd, and then the rare occasion that I'm happy, it all crumbles down on top of me, because I find out what I was happy about was just a lie....

I didnt go to sleep last night, and i have school in a couple hours, what am i going to do?
i didnt mean to pull an all nighter, but i got caught up on myspace and next thing i knew it was 5 in the morning, and i have school in a couple hours. how am i going to be able to function and not ...

Difficult bday...anyone have any advice on how to deal with it?
I turned thirty something today...help!...

BI-POLARISM...another excuse to act stupid?
In this generation and the last, to me, being "bi-polar" is just an excuse for not dealing with your problems from the past....

I'm going to die in about 3 days. What should I do with my time ?
Keep in mind, I'm kinda sick and can't leave the house. It's kinda fun dying actually. No more BS to be concerned about....

Can anyone give me purpose or meening? please.?

Why am i sad?
i have a fantastic boyf who i adore, a great job (wel i think so) i have a wide circle of friends family and i finally have a bit of cash in my back pocket and generally my life is great so why do i ...

I can't get out of bed?
I'm 20 years old, and so depressed the only time i move from my bedroom is to eat or drink. No wait...to get drunk. I don't know what to do. I'm scared I might end up really hurting ...

I think most mental illnesses are really in people's heads. Any thoughts?
Don't get me wrong. I recognize mental illnesses as legitimate illnesses that can devastate people's lives. I know--my father is schizophrenic and my mother is bipolar. However, I am ...

Does any1 have the same as me???
does anyone else get so stressed they feel like crying, recently the tiniest of things have been bugging me, people chewing, slow people, small spaces, crowds, not being able to do something eg: open ...

Why do I think I'm so fat?
I have gained a little bit of weight over the holidays, and I've gotten some of it off, but i still feel really fat and ugly. My BMI is perfectly normal, so why am I constantly obsessing?? Is it ...

Latly i have been feeling lonly and depressed because i think i am fat... i dont know y can any one help plz?

Georgie
What can you do for an alcoholic if they dont admit that they are alcoholics..and to help them stop???????

geoff d
BUY 'EM A BEER AND TALK ABOUT IT !

mike w
buy them a pint.other than that,nothing you can really do to help them stop,the only person that can help them is themselves.

antagonist
drink a bottle of vodka infront of them- then start on the whisky!

hot g
just kep trying i guess. if they still don't admit it then they are morons.

beki_boo
Rating
If they wont admit they have a problem and dont want to stop then you cant make them.They will only do it when THEY want.I know its awful if its someone you care about and as i have a friend who is a recovering alcoholic iv been there.All i could do was make sure if he wanted to talk,i was always there and made sure he knew i would be there day or night and that if he wanted to get some help i would be there and he didnt have to do it alone.

Catwhiskers
If they dont admit it and/or dont want to stop then there is not a lot you can do.

Ammo
Nothing - unless they admit the problem there is nothing you can do. You can give them an ultimatum but then they will more than likely drink secretly

koalatcomics
its called the confrontation solution. show them with their friends or by a video or somehow what their effect is on others and the world. many kid themselves and they need to see first hand the damage they cause to themselves and others. there is strength in numbers.

scooby doo
Rating
There's nothing you can do.
They have to realise they have a problem.
You can't do that for them.

BOBBY
i assume your talking about your parents or some other loved ones all these people are wrong and right at the same time. even if you can not make them beleive they are alcoholics you can talk to them about how their drinking has affected the ones that love them you cant be afraid to be bold and get your point across their recovery has to start somewhere and i think your the one to start it for them be persistant remind them of what they missed out on when they were drinking make it hit home you have to make them realize that their problem is also your problem and everyone elses problem that is associated with them ask them can you think of anything good that has come because of your drinking dont be afraid to hurt their feelings either sometimes some tough love is what a person needs to start their recovery if you listen to these other people who say you cant help them until they want to be helped your just watching them die MAKE THEM WANT TO BE HELPED good luck its a long hard road but you have to start somewhere these people are telling you there is no hope and they are wrong it may take years of your nagging but be persistant and remind them of everytime they hurt somebody or do something stupid because of their drinking

bernie c
Sadly nothing the person must first accept that they have a problem until then all you can do is be there for them Good Luck

ncgirl
Bottom line, they have to be ready and willing to help themselves first. Nothing you can do until that time.

Good luck,

ptrlack
Rating
pray for them God alone can do that no other beer can if you don't believe me just ask him in the name of Jesus Christ his son what have you got to lose only he knows weather the person wants help or not and if not he wont go against there will. that's how it is with The Great I AM YAHWEH so to him who sits on the throne all Glory Honor Power and Praise Hallelujah praise the Lord. Amen It is So and the people all say Amen. yours in J. C. p.w.l.

bluefish787
Rating
Same as everyone else said, if they don't even admit that they have a problem, then they don't think there is anything to fix.

And even once that happens (that they realize they are an alcoholic), nothing will really have an impact until they hit their own bottom.

If it is at a severe point (that they put themselves in danger, drive drunk, don't take care of daily tasks - bills, kids, family) then you may want to consider an intervention. Contact a rehab facility and ask if they have an interventionist.

Good luck

lifeisagift
Rating
leave and start a new life. otherwise you are doomed to a life of misery.
don't tie your shining star to a rock like this.

Nneave
Rating
My mother died from alcholism and I know how hard it is to watch someone kill themselves. But it is true. If they do not want to stop, there is nothing you can do.

They have to want it, and even then it isn't easy.

Depending on you and the relationship of your friend or reletive, try and get someone they respect to talk to them. If it's a young person, not a parent as they just see it as a lecture, but maybe a teacher? If it's an adult then be prepared for people, even close family not to want to get involved.

Also you have to accept that you may atleast temporarily loose your friendship. If he or she doesn't want to hear it, they may not take your interference well. Remember you are trying to help. Good luck.

littledevilinyourcup
Rating
there is nothing you can do to help them if thet do not want help. However you can join Alanon or Alateen (if your a kid) and learn how to take care of your self and deal with situation your alcoholic causes

cherry
Rating
you cannot help them stop but you can go to ala-non

april
There's nothing you can do, sorry

katieplatie
Rating
Unfortunately if someone won't admit they are an alcoholic, there is nothing you can do. I know firsthand how frustrating it is but you can't make them do anything whilst they are in denial. Rehab, AA, counselling, medical advice etc all depend upon the person actively participating. There are support groups you can ring to offer you some help through this. Good luck x x x

ancestorhorse
Rating
NOTHING. I had a brother that was alcoholic & he knew it, would tell me so & still nothing he did helped him. My x-hubby is an alcoholic & so is my 22 year-old son. By brother has died as a result of years of this life style. He was not hurtful to me, other than the stress form him beeing drunk. The the hurt from his death. My hubby has now moved on in part because I told him I would not put up with it. He was very hurtful to me when he drank. My son is on meds & still will not stop with the drink. He even ended up in the hospital with a head fracture once. After that he was in the hospital because he fell down walking in a huge snow storm we had the Wed. before Christmas this past year.
I have always been there for the people I love & they never do stop. My brother & son would say the have a problem. I don't know why they couldn't stop, I don't think they know.
What you need to do is get help for you before it sherds your life like it has mine.
There is all kinds of help out there for you. Check in the phone book & make the calls you need to. Or at least talk to someboby that has to deal with the same thing you are.
Remember their problem is NOT yours to fix. They MUST be the one the takes the steps to help themselfs.
Oh yea, my dad drank heavy but I don't ever remember him beeing drunk as he quit when I was very young.
GOOD LUCK WITH THIS.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Monday, September 22, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy