Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Why does depression have a stigma attached .....?
depression can affect all walks of life , rich and poor people , but why do people frown upon anti-depressants ?? I have read a few answers over time here in answers and they were all really negative ...

Give me a reason to live?
I'm probably being a pain in the ***. I just don't know what to do. My family, friends, school... all meaningless, so not supportive. I can't find happiness. Been depressed for years ...

I need a good reason to be alive?
I've been incredibly depressed as of late; I cry daily for hours on end. My girlfriend dumped me; I suffered a back injury which squelched any chance that I had of playing baseball in college; ...

I have most things?
I have my own place, car and a job, not much money and sometimes no money, no girlfriend and no out life, like some people but i cant stop thinking about killing myself and ending this **** life, i ...

Hase any one got trouble with a bad temper?
And if so how do you control it i am open to any tips
I have also been told by my doctor that i have ...

Does anyone else find listening to rain really relaxing?

I feel very sad:(?
Any suggestions on how to make me feel better?
thanks....

Why men always think they are smarter than women?

Suicide or not?
i'm feeling very suicidal right now and need someone to talk to.
my family call me fat all the time and i weight 110 pounds and i'm bulimic too ( eating disorders run in my family )

What do you think happens after suicide?
if you committed suicide, but you believed in god, what do you think would happen? and assuming heaven and hell is real, do you think you could still go to heaven?...

How do you deal with thoughts of suicide?
Everything that could go wrong in my life has and i'm constantly plagued with suicidal thoughts. I've read other comments about this that say "take up a hobby" or something, but i&...

Are people really that gullible?

Does anyone else pull out their hair?
i pull out my hair and i think i have this condition called trichotillomania where you pull out your hair to relieve stress, and i was wondering if anyone else has this, and if they do, could they ...

I am thinking about suicide...help?
i have severe depression and major ODD. i cant get along with anyone in my family, i only have two good friends, and my medication does NOT work. im in DBT group and therapy but that dosent seem to ...

If you acheive only ONE dream before you die, what would you want it to be?

What do you do when your feeling low?
I've been feeling low the past few days, need to kick myself up the a*se and get out of it. Any suggestions?...

Plzz answer.Is it important to apologize when we do something wrong?
I never like to apologize to anyone eventhough i did something wrong.Is it a bad attitude?...

My boyfriend keeps stabbing me with a pencil...is this normal??
He's done it like 5 times in a row now. It's Ow! He just did it again! Why is he doing this?? OW! he won't stop! Help!!! Is he normal??...

Forms of self harm?
Should people who hit themselves, seek help as much as those who cut? Or should they keep quiet as its more likely to be ignored and it isn't as harmful?

I know many people think it�...

Gimme another word for a fart!?

Blackout
Scared i'll never be happy in this world/life?
Does anyone else feel that they can never be happy in this world or this life?????

I'm really unhappy with my life and i'm trying to get better, but nothing motivates me to try harder to return to normality, coz its not like i'm going to be happy in end.

Amazing events/ joys in life, like having fun with friends, finding someone that you love and they love you back (even though i dnt think ill ever find someone) , having a good career, getting married and having kids - I don't think any of these could make me happy.

I don't think i was meant for this world, Does anyone else feel this way??????

Toby G*
Rating
Hiya!

Yeah I can get like this, its sometimes when I want everything all to quick... my advise is to slow down & don't look to far ahead..work on the simple things in life, life shouldn't be presure.You sound very down & you really need to pick yourself up from today because you will & can be happy! I think you should make an appointment at your GP's & they might reffer you to see a councilour, you need to talk with someone, I hope other peoples answers have cheered you up in some way..! Do you visit a gym? Go to a gym that is a great way to build your self esteem! Get your butt down there! motivate yourself this once & the rest will follow ; ) You will feel better as exercise releases endorphins into the blood stream making you feel so much better, take a look http://www.portfolio.mvm.ed.ac.uk/studentwebs/session5/26/
HORMONES.html
Exercise helps treat depression in five ways:
It releases endorphins, the body's own mood-elevating, pain-relieving
compounds.
It reduces levels of the stress-depression hormone, cortisol, in the blood.
It helps provide perspective on life.
It provides a feeling of accomplishment, which enhances self-esteem.
It increases levels of serotonin.
Many, many studies demonstrate that exercise helps treat depression. Here
are summaries of just a few:http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/nov99/942388104.Ns.r.html
For me that was the best thing I done was join the gym, I still can have stressful days like we all do, but i've found out building up my self esteem gave me more motivation & confidence, a better outlook on life, everything else fell into place...like a girlfriend! you get to meet more people have more friends, then more doors open for you! ; )
Hobbies, why not try other things too, I remember a few people saying to me aswell..'you need god in your life' I'm still working on that, I always forget to pray! my mum has got to remind me! lol' Where you say you don't belong here & stuff like that..I get like that, I use to say I don't belong in this country & wanted to move to Spain or something as theres nothing here for me, in you case you say you not meant for this world...its because you low & depressed you get these thoughts!! they will go!!!
So my advise is exercise & pray! it will change you outlook on life!!!! I really hope whatever YOU do will change it all around & have a happy life we all deserve! Good Luck Asuka!

Bob The Bright Yellow Dahlia!
Rating
Everyone is here for a purpose and there will be those on this planet; whether or not you have connected to them and they may not even be born yet, for whom your presence is reassuring. As a recluse I have learned (and this site illustrates it very well) that we are all connected to one another and we all need one another. We, the human race, want you to stay and be one of us.

Wax Crayon
Rating
Now your mission in life is to find the things that make you happy.

Go try things and see what happens. There's probably something out there for you. The search begins now!

vintagechic1
Life is what you make of it... so get out there and enjoy, it's a big world so go get some.

allgiggles1984
Rating
my mum, she soemtimes cant take life :( its sad. it makes me cry when she says bad stuff, be happy u got a life unlike ppl who wanted longer and dint get it :(

Rachel Maria
Rating
For some reason you think you are not entitled to these things that you say would not make you happy if you had them.
You ARE entitled to them, no matter what you think. There is such a thing as forgiveness, whether it be from others or from yourself. When you feel entitled to them, which you ARE, as is every human, you will feel differently about your life. Don't be so hard on yourself.

skens girl
Hi,
I sadly cannot relate to you personally and wish I had some words of comfort but don't feel anything I say will benefit you right now, but WOW what a response it has even touched me too see all those people who replied to you have actually created a tower of strength for you that is amazing so many people care about others in this day and age. So come on you must admit you've been lifted with peoples love..xxxxStay Strong.

sprite
1st of all man utd are a crappy team dont support them!

secondly, you need to get some counselling-- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is really good for depression and it would seem like thats what you have!

dont do anythign stupid, because even if you feel like you dont belong on this world, theres going to be so many people who will be upset if you leave this world, think of your family and friends and all the love you feel for them, they should be your motivation to do your best in this world. You are so lucky, yet your faulty thinking is making it seem like you're not succeeding, take a step in the right direction by taking some counselling and move forward with life- if you dont like an aspect of your life, only you can change it, try hard is all i can say and you shouldnt feel like you dont belong.

good luck

Kel
Boy man i was in a good and happy mood till i read that. Stop bein so depressin.

LRolly
Hmmmm....I know exactly what you mean but I got too many theories on this one. Vitamin B deficiency? Low self esteem? Lack of exercise (which helps you produce the happy brain chemicals - it's true)
On my more thoughtful days I figure we're not meant to be happy. Every creature is meant to strive but modern life makes living so easy we've nothing basic and worthwhile to strive for - hence so many people feeling their lives are pointless. Unless you're materialistic or very poor there is nothing to struggle for. No striving = no success = no point.
Which one are you identifying with?
I notice someone mentioned buddhism - it's worth looking into. Buddhism teaches how to find peace in this world - what it seems you're looking for. It teaches you how to look at things in a different way - after all the world is how you see it.

I've felt like you. I tried a process of elimination in my own life. I eat well, take vitamins, get exercise and increase it when I feel crap. These things made me feel better - enough to be able to see that the 'modern living not fulfilling our natural instinct to struggle' issue effects me. I don't want a bigger car and I can't just manufacture a happy relationship. Where's the point in my life?
I spent years feeling crap. I didn't need pills cos I was depressed I needed a point in my life.
So......(sorry this is taking so long).....I went off for two years volunteering in a developing country and for the first time I felt genuinely happy with my life. Making a friend, learning how to say hello in another language, learning how to cook strange foods - there was achievement in every thing I did. then there was the helping people aspect - having the time and support to really make a difference in people's lives. You talk about motivation? well I really felt I was doing something valuable for the first time. No volunteer I met did it just to help people - that's a misconception. The strongest motivation is to help ourselves in some way.

I'm not suggesting you run off but maybe you should stop trying to 'return to normality'. Maybe it doesn't work for you.

My advice? Make sure it's not a physical problem. Are you getting enough vitamins etc. It's scary how crap a simple vitamin deficiency can make you feel. Are you getting exercise? It increases your energy levels and serotonin and has proven as effective as counselling in many instances of depression. If you've fixed these things then it's not a health issue so start thinking outside the box

Can you do what I did? Can you change career? Even if it means a drop in wages would it make you happier?
Can you volunteer locally? Even if it doesn't initially sound appealing if you do it you'll meet other people who feel like you - other people who weren't happy with their lives and wanted more meaning. It's amazing how good it feels to talk to someone who actually knows what you're talking about.
Is there a hobby you always wanted to take up? I know someone who goes to France on his own just to paraglide. Join a university club if you can't afford a private one. Change your life a little at a time and even if a change you make doesn't help on it's own it'll help you discover what might make you happy. Make a plan of action and write it down to help motivate you. Break it into small steps so it doesn't put you off. Get counselling to help you carry out your plan if you need someone to motivate you and haven't a close friend to help.
I now see there are art groups, poetry groups, activist groups, volunteer groups - all local - that I never noticed before. All filled with people not happy with this rat-race. I plan on meeting them and learning from them and with luck I'll be able to find a way of living here in this world with a meaning that makes sense to me.

It's a process of elimination. Stop trying to be 'normal' and try to find out what makes you feel your life is worthwhile. There's no crime in not being overjoyed at having a career/marriage/kids etc. I guess my two years away acted as a time-out for me to sort out my head and find out what I need to enjoy this life - if you can't do a 'time-out' then try to do it another way. Talk to someone, take time to reflect, try the things I've suggested and don't let negative thinking stop you. Just decide to do it, write it down, set an alarm or whatever and when the time comes for whatever you decided (from buying vitamins to a yoga class or singing karaoke for the first time) just follow it through without analysing it.

Either way, you;re not alone. Get out there and find us!
Good luck!

Ryan D
Has something happened? Maybe, 1 tiny thing has made you so unbelievably pessimistic it's unbelieveable, think of everything good you have to live for, that should help.

SUZANNE R
Rating
blimey im going bak to music and entertainment!its a bit heavy here!! xx

Ascetic
Rating
Sorry you feel like this, i seriously suggest u force urself to do things and strive forwrd cos this could be very damaging, I have read this book called, 'Dont Be Sad' its an amazing book, it will answer ur questions and ur feelings wht ur going through at the moment, happy reading.And dont forget to read the review,

?
Rating
My main problem is I don't know what it is that will make me happy. And that just makes it even harder to achieve.

bumbleboi
Well some people suffer from endogenous depression, endogenous meaning without reason, as in none of the factors going on in your life should indicate a reason to be depressed.
This condition can be acute, as in a sudden short attack or chronic as in fairly long in duration. Either way it needs professional help. It is an illness like any other and getting help to treat it is nothing to be ashamed of, please go and talk this over with a good sympathetic Doctor or Community Psychaitric Nurse.

Duncan Disorderly
Rating
Hmmm, this rings a bell. Sometimes I can get massive downers and feel a lot similar - especially with the married with children thing. Life can feel like a big pointless joke at times but you should talk to your friends about this.

Try not to give up just yet...there 'may' be something amazing around the corner. Sometimes all it takes is a little intimacy and those feelings can vanish.

Honestly!!!!

The race is not over yet...

weeleesie
Rating
Yes, but I don't know why. I have every reason to be happy - great family, loving boyfriend, secure job.

But I just feel like I don't belong....

Sorry you feel that way too.

Pinky Punky
Oh my goodness I feel exactly the same. After a year spent travelling the world I feel hopeless back at home. Nothing seems to make me happy or like you said motivates me. I want to travel again but that means saving up the money, meaning staying at home to save it. All my friends seem happy in life and work but I never seem to be able to smile when I think about my work. I suppose it is just one of those stages we go through in life and we have to always pick ourselves up and go at it again but harder each time. We do get tougher and stronger with every passing moment and I just keep believing that I may just have to turn a few more corners than others to get to where I am meant to be!!!!
Hope this has helped you a alittle

Edel B
hi im sorry ur feeling so down, but i think everyone gets like that from time to time i know i have. ive suffered a mild depression before and still have my bad days i never went on medication r anything even though my doctor wanted me to, im telling u this cause ur letter sounds exactly how i used to feel.

my advice to u is try not to keep how ur feeling to urself it usually makes u worse, i find a walk (even when all i want to do is sit in my pj's) usually makes me feel better. and try and focus on the good things that happen in ur day instead of dwelling on the bad, even if it was just a smile u got from a checkout girl (i know its rare lol)

i suppose what im trying to say is look on the bright side, and i hope u feel better soon

JB
Rating
I am 48 years old, bipolar, have had every opportunity to have a normal and happy life but you know what? I am not and have not been for a long time. In the last few years I have lost nearly everything except for my family.

Do not lose the family? I now realize after many years that they are my life and my future, they are my focus and my prioity. I am working at building a new life and I am going to become in control of my mental disability. I will become in control of my life, my happiness and not put my life on hold hoping that someone else will make it all better.

You mention a list such as a good career, friends, marriage ect. It is friends and family that will help and contribute to your happiness. But it is only you that can welcome it into your thoughts.

Be positive, set life goals and one at a time achieve the goals one step at a time and you will find that soon you can look back and ask yourself " what on earth was I thinking when I wrote that question." the one above!!

I wish you all the happiness

Mr Frewster
sometimes.....but you have to go in search of what it is that will make you happy.

considering there are billions of us now on this tiny planet... it's amazing that we can find our true soul mate....there's a saying that you only meet the people you are supposed to....but there's nothing to stop you from going in search.

if i were you, I'd get travelling around the world and look for that something or someone special rather than waiting around.......you'd be amazed at the people you meet around the world and how welcome you will be wherever you go.......but you might want to give Iran a wide berth at the moment.....(actually....the entire middle east may be best to avoid at the moment).....

good luck...I'm sure you'll find what you're searching for in life.

B0uncingMoonman@aol.com
Lots of people feel this way, especially at certain ages and stages in their lives.
Don`t worry, as black as it seems, this too will pass.
Always remember, no-one ever said that life was gonna be easy. And it never was.
For most people, the most satisfying life is to eventually have kids of their own - this is because it is what nature designed us for...but even this phase is full of worry - but at least worry with meaning and purpose to it.
Try also living for the moment, not worrying about the past or the future. Just the `now`!

The Moaner Loser
I have your problem...
I'm negative. I'm not happy or optimistic and in my eyes I'm not gonna make it in life.
My friends point out this attitude fault everyday.
I try really hard to change to a normal way of thinking (optimistically) but it just isn't happening...
The best thing I can do is try to make the negativity work my way.

sabana
The psyche nurse. I hope I can answer this to your satisfaction.

The KEY to your question is the statement "I am not going to be happy in the end".

That is a prediction. ... Have you been able to predict anything else? Have you predicted any outcome before. Or dreamt something that came true. ? Hand on heart time please be honest.

If as like the rest of humanity you CANNOT see into the future then you are not being honest to yourself with this prophecy. IT is damning and destructive. Here is what I think.

Drop all predictions right now. Replace it with an affirmation that you must say every day as many times as necessary

Say that I am not feeling great right now but in the future there is a place for me and this place is warm and loving and full of happiness. My place is booked and cannot be removed.

There is no instant fix for this but the long term thought is paramount. And I believe that you will find that place as you are already a success in my eyes. Good health and heres to your future

Granny
Are you feeling all alone that you serve absolutely no purpose in life then join the club there are days when i wish that i was never born but i was and one of the best things i have ever done is to get on yahoo answers because i found that people all over the world have days like mine.all i can say to you is just try and think positive when you are feeling down tell us about it we are your friends keep in touch with us we really do care about all of our friends.

Steve
It sounds like you are depressed. I am sure alot of people feel like this, but you need to try and find something that matters and make positive changes in your life.

busybee
im feeling like that too, maybe we should form a club.

Miss RoZy
You need to build your confidence. Ask your gp for a referrel to the library. Yes a gp can prescribe books nowadays. They may help. You need a goal in life. Set small achievable targets at first that will help build confidence. Get out and meet people. Not necessarilly clubs but the gym or swimming pool. If you can get a pet. they give unconditional love. You be surprised how by working on yourself everything will fall into place.
You dont have to get married have kids etc. Society puts that burden on us. Do what makes you feel good. Travel. go to a movie. Walk. You most certainly do have qualities to contribute to society.
Good luck

fanella
life can only be as good as you make it
ok it migfht be pretty grim right now and you dont see the light at the end of the tunnel but its there it wont come to you , you need to work towards it learn to like the life you have now then strive to make it even better

Shakespeare
Asuka, you need to talk to somebody my friend. I suggest that you talk to somebody who knows you pretty well or who you feel comfortable with but if you do not feel that you have anyone that you can confide in then I would strongly suggest that you speak to your doctor and try to get some counselling.

If it helps at all I can tell you that you are not the only one who feels out of place in this world. There are a lot of things wrong with the world and there are a lot of different kinds of people who do not fit in to the "normal" person category.

What you need to realise is that there is nothing wrong with being different, it just means that you are not motivated or stimulated by the same things that most other people are. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you or that you will never be happy.

I don't know how old you are or what experiences you have had in your life so it is impossible to give you any real advice but it is important that you have some method of comparing and discussing your views with someone who is objective and open and who understands what you are going through.

This post might get you some great advice that turns your life around or it might get you some real crap advice that will make your situation much worse. The best thing to do is to do nothing and decide on nothing until you are able to talk things through with somebody who is able to advise you properly.

Talk to someone or get some counselling, please. :)

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy