Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Do i have a mental disorder?
I am a 15 year old girl.
I often think that my friends don't really want to be friends with me. I feel like they just feel sorry for me. I also start fights with them for no reason. I like ...

COULD I BE DEPRESSED?
most people describe me as a funny, smart and pretty girl but recently ive been crying constantly and i feel isolated and so alone. i hav tried 2talk to a friend but she kind of disregards it and ...

Depression?
I Suffer from social anxiety disorder and its interfering with my life
well.. i have no life lol because of it my mums gona fone my doctor and try and get me a phsychiatrist or something to help ...

Tell me why my husband blames all his bad behavior on being bipolar - isn't he ever to blame for hurting me?
Ever since my husband was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, all of his bad, even abusive behavior gets blamed on the lack of meds before treatment, porblems with meds since treatment, or just the ...

What makes u happy?

Anyone out there with excessive anxiety?
I have an anxiety disorder (Anxiety NOS) and I had a really bad day. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope?
Additional Details
Yes, I do know what NOS means. (Not otherwise ...

This is really weird what do you think it is?
right i have this crazy nonsense talking voice in my head
and it keeps claiming this guy is my son (i know weird)
and this guy certainly is not (hes 20 years older than me)
hes the ...

Should I admit myself to the hospital?
I'm crying & very depressed....

Am i a freak, or does anyone else do this? Why do i do this?
i often find that, when i'm on the verge of being very low, i will 'feed' my depression, for example by searching for questions on here to do with self harm or suicide, so that i then ...

Why do people commit suicide .Are they not afraid of death?
What can be the reasons that they are not even afraid to finish their life ....

Happy easter everyone!?
for all those in here who will be finding today a very difficult day, i wish you smiles, happiness, hugs and chocolate eggs. :)
(((((hugs)))))
a hope you all have a great day!...

Overdose?? Dangerous ??
I'm 14, 100 pounds, I had a horrible headace, I was stupid and I took 4 pills of 500 mg extra strength tylenol...2000 mg in all.
I've also been on Zoloft (antidepressant) for about a ...

Is it wrong to think of death? A LOT?

A question about depression?
I think I might be depressed. I'm only a teen, and am afraid my amatuer self diagnosis won't be taken seriously, so i need to know your views. Last year, one of my friends (who wants to be ...

Why is everyone so against suicide?
If someone is so miserable and in so much pain. why do we want them to live in such a condition. if we humans are so compassoate. wht don't we help them be free. Especially christians always ...

How can I go to sleep easily?
I quit smoking weed for more than 6 six months ago, but I still have sleepless nights sometimes because I am sober....

Do you think self injury is a disorder?

What will you do,if you know that this is the last day you live?

What is the point of being alive ?
Work. Pay bills. Sleep. Avoid fake people.
Talk to one's dog.
Additional Details
Yep: I forgot ...

Would you consider this bulimia?
Since I was 13 I had off and on trowing up, I'd do it for 4-5 months, and I'd stop for a few and then do it for another 4-5 months (everyday 2-3 times a day) i got help for that because i ...

saika
My life is going downhill. dr is offerring me antidepressents not sure whether to take them or not.?
everything in my life is crap. Nothing goes right..EVER. I spoke to my gp and recommended antidepressents. I am in a relationship, but its not going great due to my lack of confidence and motivation. I was thinking about hypnotherpy. Has anyone tried it and will it give me confidence?

Miss Tickle
try self help books, i've got one called "creating self-esteem" it's pretty good. there was a website i found called "depression is a choice" there is some really helpful advice on there, i think it's extracts from a book, which could be worth purchasing. but DON'T take antidepressants, they mess your life up even more and you become reliant upon them after a while, my friend when through this and it's messed him up pretty bad. do it the natural way and sort your own head out without the help of drugs!

Hope this helps, if you want to e-mail for a natter, feel free :D

x x keep your chin up x x

nmtgirl
Hypnotherapy is not a good idea. Hypnotism just puts you in a very relaxed state where your inhibitions are lowered. You are then more open to suggestion, but would not do anything that you normally wouldn't do without a few beers.

It sounds like you are depressed. You don't have to be on drugs your whole life to be better. Try the drugs for a little while, but remember, they take a few weeks to take full effect. If you don't like the drugs, ease off of them. Most antidepressants can make things worse if you suddenly stop taking them.

The other option is just talking to someone. Talking to someone can help more than anything else.

misseliggett
Rating
Listen, if you had cancer you would have chemo, if you have a migraine you take tablets, it's not something you want to use for a prolonged period of time, but it can get you out of your harsh time. There is still a stigma attached to it though, shouldn't be. you can also help yourself by adding/taking away things from your diet and lifestyle.

Look here for more help. Good luck.

http://www.dremilykane.com/depression.html

Meenakshi R
When the doctor prescribes antidepressant, definately he sees streak of dejection and lack of desire to push through. Medicine shall only help to make system conducive to accept the status of life as it is. You shall have to work to make it a success by trying various positive notes to make it happen.
Make friends, join a gym, play a game of your choice, get other hobbies into main stream of existance.Keep the scene of life as next on the list and very soon you shall find things falling in place.Hypnotherapy is not the choice of treatment in your case.

Kal H
Just try them. Sounds like you have a dysthymic personality which is kind of difficult to treat, but the medications help. You have to have the mental energy to get out of your box and see it for what it is. I used the meds for a short while and they worked and I learned from the experience and haven't repeated it. They don't treat everything though---you need the chance to succeed at some things and learn that you can be okay. The fact that you have access to a computer, can write, and probably live in the western world likely means that your life is already better than that of huge numbers of people. Part of being happy is being grateful, daily, for everything you have. Practice gratitude and help out someone less fortunate than yourself.

seamanspraying
if you dont take them can i have them please

simonavitch
You are in a relationship?
What the *** is that?
If you don't love your partner no wonder you feel horrible.

LIz
you should take medication

bird_in_a_bubble
Taking anti depressants is completely your choice but i know that your GP would not prescribe them if he didn't think you needed them. They do have a stigma attached to them but they really are not that bad. You start taking them in small doses and then the dose increases. You probably will not feel any difference to begin with but after a couple of weeks things will improve. Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain and it needs to kinda be reset so it can work properly again.

Its difficult to describe depression to someone who has not experienced it but i do understand how you feel and it's not nice. There are loads of books and websites about that you can read, maybe if you understood depression and the medication you can make a more informed choice. I've got a book from The British Medical Association called Understanding Depression by Dr Kwame Mckenzie. I found it quite helpful as it takes you through depression step by step like what causes it and how to cure it etc.

I hope this helps and remember you are not on your own, there is always someone there for you. Try to focus on the positives no matter how small they are. Good luck x

Sabine É
Rating
I took those damn drugs for 6 years and they addictive and caused long-term side effects. It took me 9 months to wean off them!
The doctor drugged me because I was under stress because my parents were divorcing, then my dad died, my relationship was ending, and my brother got hooked on meth-- so rather than helping me deal with stress, the damn doctor drugged me! I tried for years to get off them and finally had to quit my job to go through 9 month of detox. Now I am still suffering the damage they did to my body.
I agree with the other person. You may as well get smashed on booze if you just want drugs to forget your life problems. You don't learn to deal with stuff when you're on drugs! If your life is going down hill, put on the brakes and learn to manage it better, don't escape with so-called medication.

Lau Lau
Rating
Anti depressants are no miracle cure, but they do help lift your mood and cope with things better. Have you thought about couselling (it doesnt work for everyone but again is another alternative)
I have been in your situation before - i have had a nervous breakdown recently, but cant take medication due to being pregnant so i have had to find other options and therapies. There is lots out there. It may be worth taking the anti depressants for a while looking for a therapy that can help get your life back on track. Its also good to have lots of support so try and tell the people around you whats going on so that they cant be there for you.

Patti C
Rating
Everyone is different, but I did not take antidepressants and got extremely bad. I could not get out of bed. I felt better within a few weeks with the antidepressants. They have not, of course, solved all of my problems, but they were a good start.

You can always try not taking them and then be honest with yourself and if things start to get worse, or your motivation really goes down, you can always go back to you doctor and try the medication.

Linda B
Rating
You've gotten some good answers here. Mine is: Start on the medication, if it's not working in one month, talk to doctor again and he will either increase or change medication. The biggest thing you need to do for yourself is to get hooked up with a psychologist. They will sit with you for an hour at a time and talk about anything you want to talk about...They will help you figure out what you are feeling and why. It is not easy in the beginning to talk to a stranger, but it is the best person because they have no ulterior motives. You will not always feel better after a session, but I promise you, over time you will come to know yourself really well, what's good for you, whats bad, how to cope, how to work through your problems, etc....Basically it will help you to become a healthy adult.........I've been there, am there, and will probably be there again......It has helped me more than I can say.............God bless and hope you feel better...........

XXXDirtyDirtyGirlXXX
Rating
I highly recommend prescription therapy, it has made me soooo much happier in my life!

STEPHANIE K
You should try them. They help even out the brain receptors. Sometimes a persons brain receptors is not going at the normal speed and they need help. That is what the medication does and it allows for the process to speed up or slow down. The only downfall of the medication is the fact that its a guessing game which ones work and how much to prescribe. You might have to go back numerous times to get the correct dosage.

?
I have known a few people with depression and they all found Prozac to be a great help. They aren't happy pills, just anti-sad pills.

But be warned, drugs will only help to relieve symptoms they won't do anything for the cause. Depression is very common and affects a lot of people. I strongly recommend that any medical route you take is accompanied by some councelling of some kind. Find a professional in your area or better yet ask your GP to recommend someone/refer you. The tales I have heard of hypnotherapy from friends of mine are a bit hit and miss. It depends on the practicioner and also on the person, not all people are as susceptable to hypnosis. Yet everyone I know that has sought professional councelling has found it to be a great benefit.

Just recognising that you have a problem is the biggest step on the road to getting better. Speak to your GP and don't be afraid to speak to your partner about it to. Be clear that you are having a hard time personally, that you know it is affecting your relationship, but that you are taking measures to solve the problems. This will make you sound decisive instead of whiny, and if phrased right should make your partner feel supportive and not responsible for your depression. Depression is a difficult condition which can be caused by one big thing, or an accumulation of small things. It really varies a lot. Seeing a professional will help you to understand and address the causes.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

give h
Rating
you can try first natural antidepressants first for two weeks and then see if you need meds because once you start its hard to get off

try
mood lift 4 at night
b-complex 4 in the morning
omega guard 3 in the morning
this will help you and with counseling counseling is the most crucial http://www.shaklee.net/thehealthyway/product/20625
http://www.shaklee.net/thehealthyway/prodNut

Jen
Vitamins are good, but if I were you, I would take the antidepressants. It will take awhile for them to start making you feel better about everything (including yourself), so you may want to start taking them right away. Psychiatric medication actually works. I am bipolar and I had doubts about the medications, but now I look back and wonder why I didn't take them earlier. There would have been so much more relief.

gypsy
Rating
believe me ,taking anti depressants will help so much youll feel like a new person.i do recommend prozac or fluoxitine.its nothing wrong with you .its a lack of a chemical in the brain.
dont deny yourself help or regard it as a sign of weakness as ive been thro that stage........ just i gave in took them and now lifes different more confidence i finally feel like a human instead of a crumbling wreck.take this opprtunity,feel no embarassment please.take my advice babe .take great care x

simply_me
i think u should try therapy and councling first better 4 u

bmac
No hypnotherapy....just good 'ol THERAPY. Talking to a therapist/counselor. Yes, take the medication. Let go of the relationship. You have to concentrate on YOU. Relationships will NOT make you happy. Let him go and get yourself straightened out. Neither he or anyone else can fix this problem and make you happy. Only YOU can make your life better. Once you get your head back on straight....then you can think about being in a relationship. But NOT now. It's making things worse.

justmeandsoccer88
Do NOT take antidepressants. My doctor offered me some, i took them, and sure it make me feel ok while i took them, but after you stop wanting to take him- everything in your life that you had before feel twice as bad after. I also gained too much weight off of it. Antidepressants aren't the way to go. If stuff in your life seems hard on you, push through it. Every single person in this ENTIRE world has problems. Some have it worse, some have it easier. Life is a test, whether its easy or hard for some people, its all a matter of passing it. As far as motivation and confidence goes...........sweetheart, you only live once- give it all you got while you can. Show people who you are and what you're made of- and not once be scared. Well, good luck.

Heathen
Rating
You're going to find this hard to believe, because your head is in a purely negative state, but you actually have choice and control over your outlook. Sure, take some SSRI's, they'll reduce your emotional range both sides, but the greatest thing you could ever do would be to challenge every negative thought as soon as it enters your mind.

Your opening line for example - 'everything in my life is crap'. Sorry, but that is a complete lie, and a very distorted view. Your mind has lost its ability to choose negative or positive thought, and ultimately it doesnt care what you allow it to feed on, but you must.

Get a copy of 'Think and Grow Rich', by Napoleon Hill, and read the sections about the conscious mind. Job done. 10 points please.

timsdad
Rating
you go to the doctor and he gives you tablets but you are still asking for help!
start taking the tablets, give them time to start working and yes you should start to feel better.
the sooner you wake-up to the fact that you are ill, the sooner you will start healing.

NAQ
Rating
just take them. you can always stop if you dont like it. when i was on my meds it seemed to do the trick for a while, and i realized hey maybe things arent as bad as i thought they were. they dont take your problems away, but they seem to help with the way you handle them.

Sweet Muse
Rating
At least consider going on anti-depressants.
The stigma that used to be attached to psychiatric medications really isn't there anymore, and there are medicines that can really help you with very little or no side effects. You don't need to be on them forever, just try them out for 2 or 3 months. You can always wean yourself off if you feel they aren't working.
There are several different types of anti-derpressants, I am sure your doctor will find the one that is best for you.
Keep the faith and my wholehearted wish is for you to feel brighter and happier by Christmas~

chrispin
The only person who can answer this question is yourself, but your GP and those around you can offer a friendly opinion - I guess thats why your here! Perhaps speaking to those who know you best is a good idea.

I recently have been prescribed anti-depressants about 8 weeks now (the doc tried to prescribe them to me on 3 previous occasions - i guess i wasnt ready to accept what was happening as i kept refusing them), people ask me how im getting on with them and the best answer i can give is that im not sure - the day i decided to start taking them was the day i decided to try and sort myself out. Previously i was wrapped up in a big downer - i couldnt tell you when it started but i think it had been coming for a long time untill one day i had no choice but to go with it (or did it just take me?) Essentially things are getting better - is it the meds or me? I dont know but i do know the day i first took them was a day i committed to getting better (through meds, sleep, eating, habits, counceling etc) So have they helped? I think they have.

I have never tried hypnotherapy an have heard little about it apart from hearing that it can help you stop smoking. I dont think there is anything wrong with alternative therapies I am trying in my own way to meditate - change behaviour and patterns. I guess hypnotherapy could be useful - just talk to people who know - they may include your GP, councellor or a hypnotherapist themselves. Try and make the best informed decision that you can and make sure that decision feels right to you.

Good luck

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy