Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

How do I keep myself from napping?
I've gotten into the bad habit of taking naps at around 4 in the afternoon and want it to stop. I just get really grouchy when I don't and extremely bored. What can I do to occupy that ...

Is anyone else still up?
Its almost 2am! I should so be sleeping right now because I work in the morning. ahhhhh....

Serious question about coping with depression?
What do you do when you feel depressed?? I only want people to answer if they seriously have ever been depressed, not just pious people who think they have the right cheeky answers. I get depressed ...

How do I finally free myself from depression?
I have suffered for 13 years, had counselling, various medication, CBT etc.... when will it all end?...

Should I commit suicide?
I am REALLY thinking about suicide. Nothing is going right. I was in the middle of suffocating myself, and then my boifriend at the time had called, and i had told him I was going to kill myself, and ...

What is wrong with me?
I have this personal issue with myself that I think is immature, unfair and greedy. I found out one of my friends is pregnant, it made me really mad and jealous. Also any one of my friends that get ...

Scary . help please.?
um .
so much happened in 13 years of my life.
my dad had a stroke , he's currently in the hospital . ive been accused of stealing , my mom got sued like 600 with financial difficulties ...

When does a person become becomes happy in life?

Lack of sleep?
wat happend if u dont sleep??...

Why do I do this?
I seem to be addicted to self destruction. I seem to constantly to want to put myself in bad situations, hurt myself and od frequently. Why do I keep doing this to myself. The latest thing I appear ...

I think I have a mental disorder, who can I talk to????
I always thought that I had OCD. It isn't because I like to clean or anything, it is just the compulsive habits and stupid obsessions that made me think it. I recently read an article on it ...

Is there anything wrong with self harm?
Its not as if its hurting anyone else....

What are people still doing up at this deadly hour????

Well..., black ppl scare me?
help how do i not be scarred of black ppl

i cant help it i just think theyre gonna stab me or sumthin

wat can i do 2 get over this cuz its makin things bad 4 me....

Has anyone got any wierd phobias?
Share ...

Why can't i stop thinking about ending my life?
i hate my ...

Does anyone know how to cure fear of spiders, just seen one on my bed now cant sleep p.s. it was big?
I am totally obsessed with one touching me, and the worse thing is I'm a 6 foot 3 bloke, just seen one massive spider on my bed, absolutly hate them!!!...

Have you ever been to the moon?

Additional Details
dpilipis: That question is three-tarded beacause I tarded it in United States, Australia and United Kingdom......

I'm always unhappy no matter what I do...help?
Hi, I'm a 14-year-old girl that is always depressed no matter what happens. If something good happens, I don't feel anything....I have an anxiety disorder...I cry every night for at least 2 ...

Depression and ecstacy? - please don't judge...?
Hi everyone, I've been sliding further into a depression the last few months, and have attributed much of this to suppressed childhood trauma, a failed marriage and an ex who chipped away at my ...

Beletje_vos AM + VT
Is self-harm a selfish act?
What if no one knows or very few know?
Additional Details
"but one does one personally gain by harming themselves?"
It's a coping method. And actually, if one couldn't cope this way often times suicide would be the result.

SAMD010
Well it could be self pay back for punishment . . . But don't share it with anyone else . . .

Armand
Rating
Yes, you're hurting your loved ones' trust level.

j
Rating
yeah it is pretty selfish. even if no one knows. its just that there is no need for it. if people are down go and do somthing possitive.

Kristen
Yes, it is, but I used to, and I can see why someone would.

Clarizzle.(:
Rating
Self-harm, you mean like cutting yourself? Well in my opionin, that's a dumb thing to do. It wouldn't seem like a selfish act, but a dumb one.

Patrick
Rating
I would say so.. 'Self harm' is a selfish act on the grounds that your hurting yourself to suit what you feel to be a need. Everyone has their breaking points, but depending on your situation, asking for help is a far less selfish act than hurting yourself.. And I am sure your friends and family will appriciate that less selfish of an act.. Mostly on the grounds that some greater evil wasn't commited. :)

Colonel Pink
Well I'd say it is...even if nobody or very few knows the point is, is it happenin? Cuz no matter how low you feel, you gotta know somebody always loves you & wouldn't want you to do that to yourself.

Charles B
Of course it is selfish. That is why your doing it, to ease and distract you from some other pain you are avoiding. Hurting yourself makes you less than you can be.
Endangering your life takes you away from what you could be doing for someone less capable. To see real suffering and frustration go to a homeless shelter and volenteer. Your pain and suffering may be real, have real honest reasons but that does not make hurting yourself right or even helpful there are better ways, find one.

livinhapi
Rating
it is because there are a lot of other people who cares and love you and you are not thinking of how it will affect and hurt them if you do harm to yourself..you are just thinking of yourself and getting it over with...why not just talk and see and care more for those around you. give love and love will come back ten-fold.

johny
do what u like its you body i cant stop you

Azooga
Rating
It's to let out pain, but it also takes years off your life. So you basically are slowely killing yourself. I say it's unfair to yourself, but if it keeps you alive for a little longer...

Katie J
its very selfish. If you end up killing yourself, your taking yourself away from all the people who love you. which is in fact so so selfish.

if your hurting yourself, you should try getting some help.

jfoy1984
Its an ignorant act. Who cares if its selfish!

nicki_viau
Rating
i think its an act for attention...
EDIT.......my sister used to do this and she would walk around without tryin to cover it up like it was nothing, once she did it and told me see this is what happens when i get mad, im not saying all people are like that but their is alot of people out there that like attention and would do ANYTHING for it!

Ceilidh
not so much selfish but not smart you see that it is not normal to do this, there are other ways of dealing with your issues that dont leave scars on your skin to be explained to your partner later, Im not trying to be rude. If you are doing it for attention then you obviously are wanting help so go see a councellor, people that do this are doing it either to reach out for help or as a means of coping with their issues. Good luck and feel better soon !

V¡§hÅ£ Ñarsian
Rating
No it is not at all a selfish act... Dont worry and think much...
Live life the way it comes.... coz its dam beautiful...

Regards,
Vishal Narsian.

Prince
Rating
Hi,

People who hurt themselves need attention... and they are very desparate and they will also be low on self confidence.. all of a sudden break down and will start crying. they really need help..

Cheers

mustlovedogs
It's not meant to be selfish, but getting out and getting involved with others, reaching out, etc., is a very helpful way to stop. It also helps you hurt less when you realize others struggle in many of the same ways.

Sarah
no, i dont think it is. I self harm, and i am not being selfish, I just have no one to talk to . I dont think oh its all about me and all that crap if self harmers did than why dont they tell people?

Harvest Angel of Wisdom
It's just a way people cope with problems in their life that are hurting them. It's their way of releasing pain...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frSsCliRkiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiFgKJJAsfo

Christine
Rating
I wouldn't consider self-harm selfish unless perhaps it were done solely to lash out against someone. Even in that case though, I think it indicates that a person is desperate for something. If someone is in that great of need, I think it is acceptable to be "selfish". You have to take care of yourself, no matter what it takes. Whatever self-harm is to each person: a means to feel something, a means to calm down, a means to dull other pain, a cry for attention... It is something the person feels they need at the time. It's not ideal, but for a lot of people it brings some relief. Ultimately, I don't think it's "selfish" to simply want relief/peace/calm/resolution.

However, I hope if you are hurting yourself, you can find what you need elsewhere. I know it's really difficult, and I know it may take a very long time. Just remember, if you ever need help, you'll always be surprised at who might reach out to you if you let them.

Take care of yourself.

singingthroughlife
If you don't share with anyone than i would say not as much. If you share with someone and they are concerned for you and you do it anyway to make yourself feel better than it would definitely be selfish. The thing is the only person it helps to feel better is yourself and it hurts everyone that you love when they eventually find out, trust me they will.

LilahFairy
Rating
Lots of people know! Not selfish, to some it may. To some like me...nope. I don't do it bc I want attention. It's usually anger I can't let out so I take it out on myself. blah

todd l
One harming it's own tissue is in some cases is part of growing up and taking their emotional pain out on themselves. But unfortunately could lead to alcohol and drug use in later years to help the ease the pain.
After many years life kind of turns to **** after all the loved ones that have been exposed to this had enough.

So in conclusion, now it doesn't seem so now but life is long and it is selfish to hurt all those people down the road.

j dog
Rating
not really.....it is indeed terrible...

but one does one personally gain by harming themselves??????

zzkay2000
Rating
It is NOT selfish, it is a coping mechanism. It disgusts me that people think it is selfish, it is something that people cannot fully control, a sort of addiction. It needs to be addressed immediately before it becomes any worse, if you are suffering from self-harming behavior please talk to a professional very soon. A lot of people say it isn't a problem but it is indeed a problem and needs to be treated. Please, get help I know a lot of people who needed help to stop the cycle of self-harm. I wish you the best of luck.

Ollie M
Rating
i dont think its selfish. Sure your parents and friends might be upset that you put them through such emotional trauma, but if it helps you cope with the pain you feel, then so be it. it is, afterall your own body. However o drag others into it and blame them unecessarily, or alternatively to depend on them too much when you become upset IS selfish.

Self harming is a coping strategy for dealing with depression, but there are other ways to deal with it. Part of me thinks it is selfish as it wastes practioner's time, nurses time, family's time and it causes a hell of a lot of distress and sadness for families as well as the individuals. Then again, I dont self harm, so im in no position to call it selfish.

faith
Rating
you can't say it's selfish or ignorant, because you haven't been in the shoes of the person.

if they have kids or somebody to take care of, then possibly, but what i'm trying to say is, unless you know the person..even if you know them, you might not know what's going on their life.

i think it's ignorant to just drop to throw that word around.

different people have different problems, some people can handle them and some can't.

Tom Cruze
Rating
It's a mental illness

mtchndjnmtch
Rating
No, it is someone with a mental problem and should be looked into before its to late.

Biran_Sefar
Rating
Self-harm is NOT a selfish act because it has a remarkably large biological component. Those who self-harm are suffering from both an addiction(to the endorphins released by the act of injury) and from an obsessive-compulsive disorder. One tends to obsess about all the issues of self-harm(avoiding excess damage, not getting caught, gauging stress levels and when to commit self-harm) and to feel compelled by the need to self-harm(as if nothing is quite right unless the act is performed).

Both the addictive and the OCD(obssesive-compulsive disorder) components can be easily treated with both medication and psychotherapeutic counseling.

Also, as I just answered a question similar to this, let me conclude by pasting my earlier answer:

Self-harm is addictive in large part due to the release of endorphins in the brain in response to injury and pain sensation. It can be quite hard to stop this kind of compulsive behavior precisely because of the neurochemical component. If nothing else, you might try doing something else that is addictive and also release endorphins, such as exercise. While there are some people who will exercise to the point of injury, generally-speaking, exercise is about the most beneficial addiction you'll ever have. Give it a try. And, please see your doctor or psychotherapist: they can help you with both the addiction and the compulsivity components of your self-harm activities.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.134
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy