Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

I think i'm extremely weird?
I have just realized that when i'm in social situations i tend to freak out, panic and make a fool of myself, but when it comes to other situations such as strangers trying to rob me, i have ...

What do you do when in less than 24 hours you're going to be alone?
I'm an recover(ing) self injurer, have depression, and a dissociative disorder.... Lately I haven't been doing well with the whole depression thing..slipping into old eating disorder and ...

Whats wrong with me?
i have these episodes of about 2 weeks or so when im really really depressed and then i have these like 3 week long periods of feeling normal. What kind of depression is it? Also, i hate my body, ...

I don't really know what these attacks are.?
I get these all the time and they last for about 30 minutes.
I:'
sweat
hear voices
shake uncontrolably
i see faces trying to get me
i lose control of my body

Is this possible????
Is it possible for your mind to think that you are sick and eventually you start to feel sick when really, there is nothing wrong with you? Is the mind that powerful?...

Is mental illness past from down from parent to child and if so how can you stop the insanity?
everyone in my family seems to or has been diagnosed with some kind of mental illness from my grandma that commited suicide at 31 to my aunt and uncles, my parent to myself and sister is there any ...

Suicide please help?
i have an addiction to ecstasy, over the past year my life has fallen apart and i have lied to my parents about my drug use, tonight my friend told them everythuing and about how my boyfriend does ...

How many hours of sleep is required by normal person for the best functioning of his/her brain?

I'm an insomniac, where can i get something to make me sleep,(and please don't say see a doctor)?

I am reaching out for help....... from anyone?
i know this is stupid and i should be putting this out on the internet but it doesnt maytter anymore....
i want to die and i dont know how to tell anyone im close to. they all know that i cut ...

What do you think of this poem? warning: possibly triggering.?
it's very short.

The cold metal searches my skin,
Then digs and finds blood within.
The wound opens like a mouth
And silently screams out red emotion.
Additional D...

Is it wrong to want death?
i keep going every day but keep saying i wish i was dead but iam to much of a coward to do anything about it just feel that i & the people around me would be beter off ....

How do I get depression help?
I also need to add that I was on the only medication that helped " Lexapro" and I was acting more like myself untill I had a couple of seizures from it so I had to stop it. I dont have ...

I get a weird feeling in my body sometimes. Am I alone?
Ever since I can remember from age 5 till now (22) I get this weird strong feeling in me..... it is way to hard to explain.... but sometimes when i am around people ( like family, friends, husband or ...

I think about my future..and i start crying. why?
im in 2 honors classes, and i get pretty good grades...so why am i so scared? why do i worry so much? and most importantly, why do i cry?...

How the hell do I get out of Iowa?
I have been stuck in this state for 30 years!...

Why are mental issues more rampant now than 50 to 100 yrs ago or did they simply not talk about such things th

Eating Disorder?
I have been to see my psych who seems to think i have an eating disorder. I dont know if that is entirely the case, i dont eat very much at all, maybe just vegies with my dinner and thats it, but its ...

Is this totally wrong?
...the only things preventing me from suicide are...

1. my mom
2. i dont want people to remember me as the girl who killed herself

is that so wrong...only 2 reasons ...

Eating disorder.. Dunno what to do.?
I do have proffesional help, so I don't want people to tell me to go and get help.

I've had an eating disorder for 3 and a half years, and until recently, spent 2 years with my ...

dauntlessblythe
Is it true that "all emotional pain lasts for 12 minutes, anything longer than that is self inflicted?"

Additional Details
It was sent to me and I don't know if I should be happy or offended coz I suffer depression and I think the one who sent this thinks I'm a drama queen.

introverted
i didnt know that but now that u mention it i think it might be true because when ur in pain all of a sudden u cry all that stuff and when that one is over u start thinking of all of the bad things in your life and u make urself feel more awful and u wanna cry more and more. so yea i guess it is self inflicted.

judles
Rating
Never heard of that before. Everyone or most everyone suffers some sort of emotional pain, and in some cases it can take a long time to deal with. How, for example,can some huge trauma in someones life be self inflicted!

SR13
It depends entirely on the person. All emotional pain is generally self inflicted as we all have the choice of how long we greive. If a family member dies maybe one person will choose to carry the greif for the whole of their lives yet another may just say 'The person had a good life, you can ask for no more' and get over it in seconds. Grief depends wholely on how much you care. People who are depressed are often too emotional about what happens around them. It's not a bad thing as it shows that you care. People who are generally happy and carry no grief are usually the ones who either haven't had too many bad things happen or really couldn't care less what happens each day.

Snow White
Rating
That's total bull. Great friend you got there!

tina.nebel
I really can' t believe this. If you do suffer from depressions there can be several reasons for that. Perhaps it' s genetic or you have chemical imbalances in your brain, you also might have developed negative thought patterns that won't allow you to break out of your depression or your hormons paly a role in it.
This is all very complex...I don't think you can say it' s self inflicted ! But I do believe that you can work on it.

Londo Mol
Rating
As a guideline, yes. Of course the '12 minutes' is not meant as an absolute, and 'emotional pain' is starkly general, however the statement implies, correctly, that one's attitude determines the length of emotional pain. A lot of people succumb to the view that 'time heals all', their subsequent apathy prolongs the suffering whereas positive action would curtail it.

abdalla m
noooooooooooo.... it wont be self inflict if u love some one and he herts your heart does and u ofcourse keep sad cause of that like 2 days!!
if your dad deis and you will cry on him 2 months or something right .... before you ask someone something ask it for your self first...

ukriti
It depends upon person to person that how carefree nature one has.

Shyler
That is the biggest line of crap I've have ever heard. Do you think the victims of 9/11 had only 12 minutes of emotional pain. Emotional pain is caused by many things. If you suffer from depression, then you are likely to suffer for much longer then 12 minutes. In fact anyone who goes through emotional pain and is over it in 12 minutes must be some type of Drug or alcohol abuser and this is the amount of time they need to numb themselves so they don't feel their pain. Emotional pain is an ongiong thing we all have to find a way to ease it in our own way. If my daughter died to day, I would suffer the rest of my life with emotional pain. The survivors of 9/11 attack will forever have their emotional pain. Who ever told you this is just some idiot who has no idea what he is talking about. Ignore, you are normal, deal with your pain the best way you can for yourself. And know that it's ok for it to linger and at times seem to disappear only to reapper later. Good luck.

High On Life
Rating
I highly doubt that, where'd you hear that?

trancegoddess2001
Rating
No, that's just ridiculous. I am not even going to go into this one.

John C
Rating
The vital truth is that everyone is different. To say that is to presume you know all about emotions, there is as much chance of that as knowing all about our Universe! There is a "person" who knows both, if you are prepared to be brutally honest with youself you will be able to get though to him in prayer.

QuiteNewHere
12 minutes? That is some statistical record of "getting over" some emotional hurt. It is harsh, and perhaps unproven. I have personally never heard of any study that proves or disproves this theory.

suebnm
No and I'm not even going to start on that road.
Please don't take any notice of this attention seeking moron.

renoir
I don't know if it is true or not but a lot of the time we are unwilling to accept the cold logic of a condition or logic of a situation because it seems unacceptable. One of the replies to this question was extremely emotional about it and cited 9-11 as an example of how the emotional impact of that or of a family member dying would last a lot longer than 12 minutes and while I can see his point there is still an argument for saying that once you are aware of the event it is no longer an unexpected event and any grief etc. that we suffer is then by choice.
We choose whether or not we allow ourselves to go down that path or not. I am not in any way trying to belittle anyones grief and in the event that something devastating happened to me I could not guarantee my own conduct but there really is a point where we decide that we have grieved enough and have to move on whether it is because others might depend on us to be strong or for our own sanity but whether that all happens in 12 minutes is certainly open to debate I would think.

NICKY
Rating
NO.

cinders
Rating
Let your friend keep to their books and theories.Maybe they will be there to turn to if they ever feel ANY pain.

spaacedogg
Wow, nice friend you have there. Why not ask him or her this question: If they had a child and the child died, would they cry for 12 minutes then be fine? How completely ridiculous.

This reminds me of an acquaintance of mine that told me "Depression doesn't really exist, it just means that the person is missing Jesus from their life."

!!!

mina_lumina
Dear lord, no! It reminds me of something my father used to tell me after he'd say something really terrible- "no one can make you feel any way without your permission", which he paraphrased from Eleanor Roosevelt. Well, what people say *can* make you feel a certain way, and as for 12 minutes... so are they saying if someone very close to you died, it should only take twelve minutes to get ovewr it? Tell them to go screw themselves.

Jazzycat
Nothing so generalized is likely to be true. I don't like this statement because it totally disenfranchises true grief.

Barberry
Rating
Any saying that starts with "all" or "always" is going to be incorrect 99% of the time. That statement is incorrect in so many instances that I would label it as false.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, October 24, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy