Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

If you could ahve a tattoo where would you have it?

How can a human stop thinking about death and suicide everyday?
How to avoid thinking that way, what to do,...

I'm so happy I need bringing down, can you depress me otherwise I'll burst?
I can't even talk about it because it will make me even happier.
Additional Details
Thank you everyone.
P...

What if you're so tired and exhausted and want it all to stop!? Isn't this an acceptable reason for suicide?

Is it ok to always want to be the center of attention no matter what?
because i feel like i have to be the center of attention and if im not i just feel out of place. i wanna be the craziest loudest person in the room....

What is the best way of dealing with stress?
finding it really hard concentrating because i have just started a new job - things are really getting to me - read about fasting and meditation - anyone have any ideas ??...

What is wrong with me? I cant stop crying...?
I have felt depressed / 'down' for 6 years, ever since i got into a bad relationship with a 'bad boy' when i was 16. He used to threaten me, push me around, he almost raped me..<...

What is the secret to letting go and really being calm?

Do you ever feel like just breaking down and crying?
Do you ever just want to cry? Is there a reason or do you just feel that way? Sometimes I just feel like i need to, but i cant. I want to sometimes when im alone because sometimes i think it would ...

What's suicide?
Hi,guys!Does anybody knows what's suicide?If you have any information or links for that topic please sand me.Thanks!!!...

POLL: How do you deal with stress in your life ?
Thank you....

Does my wife suffer from some kind of mental affliction?
Long story short. happy loving couple get married. All is well. 6 years later after 2 beutiful kids wife starts to change. Becomes less loving and affectionate. Surrounded by loving husband, parents, ...

OK, I admit it: I'm bored. Bored with life. Bored of being alone and bored of being broke.?
I'm a loner, but I've always been able to keep myself occupied/distracted, with music, books, films, and recently, keeping fit. These days I'm feeling restless in the evening, less ...

Has anyone ever quit smoking weed? has your life changed for the better?
Sometimes I think smoking weed has made me kinda lazy....

I think i need professional help for depression, but im to scared to tell anyone?
Well. im to scared to even tell my friends, boyfriend, sister, or parents. i don't know why... :( i cut myself sometimes but then i hide them. (thinking someone will notice and talk to me but ...

What is this called? HELP!!!?
Sometimes I feel like I want to die and I feel worthless. Some days I feel just fine. On the days I feel horrible its really bad. I've been on anti depressants and anxiety meds. What's ...

HELP! AH! SUICIDeE????
ok. thank you for trying to help me.
Well I am a middle school student. I have alot going on in my life.
My mom had cancer.
My brother insults me on a 24/7 hour basis.
At school ...

What should you do after youve done everything in life?
and you have no family N when you try to help everyone to make good of your life but people think your wacko N dont like you?...

What is a good way to get over being crabby?
I just woke up feeling a little crabby this am. I took a muscle relaxer last night and I have cramps. I have A LOT to do this morning so I need to get going.
Additional Details
I am ...

What do you do when You just cant stand life no more?
what do you do when your so fed up, stuck in a rut, your life is falling apart, and all that keeps you going is ...

JesWondering
Is cutting your own hair when depressed considered a self-destructive act?

Additional Details
It actually doesn't look bad, but I hacked off about 6 inches. It's still below my shoulders though.

Laura
I would say so yes. Maybe you should get some help mate, just incase you're not seeing clearly. Better to be safe and all that. Good luck hun!

nononsense
Rating
Yes go to a shrink; or beauty school to learn to cut it right at least.

Tazz Man
depends on how u cut it. did u mess it up or do a good job.

calgal
Rating
Do you do it to improve yourself? If yes than it is no!

wait!!!
how long was your hair first of all...and when you cut it were you upset about something before you just took the scissors and cut??? a psychiatrist would need to know these things!!! just to warn you!!!

Scotty W
Rating
You think. I would admit myself to a Psch ward for a few days.

daisy5263
Rating
No, you got a free hair cut, thats all...

rabatvilla
No, just trying to make your self feel better. Changing looks while depressed can help people lift their sprit.

tiafromtijuana
Rating
Hi: You may be tense, depressed, or wish to have shorter hair. The problem you see is when you cut your hair. If you cut it when you were feeling well, would you have this same concern? Also, if you have ever pulled out your hair, then there is a big problem and that's called Trichotillomania.

bittersweet
Rating
Big time.

sa
No

Jojo
Rating
No. It just shows that you yearn for a change in your appearance. I cut my hair all the time...although I tend to do with when I'm just bored, not depressed. If you're feeling depressed, you may want to talk to someone you're close to or a counselor. :)

hmmmmm
i do it all the time and yes i think it is

Cozzette
if you hacked at it ruthlessly, with a destrutive intent, yes. If you went to a salon to get a new hairstyle to cheer yourself up, then no.

survivor
Rating
Depends on how you cut it. If you just hacked at it angrily, and left it in a mess, then I'd say "yes"; but if you just felt like a new look, then why not?
If you feel depressed, you could get on here and let it all out. Of course you'll get some negative responses, but you'll also get positive one's. If people give you unkind answers remember, that THEY are the ones who aren't seeing straight.

:: Urban G ::
it depends how your hair looks. it could be a pleasant relief or some masochistic act... i hope it's the first one.

mgrace25_911
Rating
I would say that it might be self destructive depending on your motivation for cutting it. If your purpose is to punish yourself or use it as a way to show your internal pain, then yes, it could be destructive.

On the other hand, if you just have a new look in mind that you think you might enjoy or it would make you feel better about yourself or more comfortable, then I'd say, no, not destructive.

In either case, be careful about this kind of decision without lots of thought and a plan for the end result. If you are already depressed, a bad hair day is just gonna bum you out more. (Goodness knows a bad cut/style is enough to START a bout of depression...)

Turn it in to a treat and find a stylist you trust. Good luck!

Mr. Wizard
Yes. It's a prelude to possible escalation into more dangerous forms of mutilation. I'd seek help from a therapist ASAP.

Light
Rating
sounds like it. hair is a very important feature..i wouldn't cut it when you're depressed.

oceanlady580
Rating
yes i used to do it all the time when i got upset or frustrated i would cut my hair short my mom did the same things to us girls we had short hair till i was 10

SweetCheekss06
Maybe? I hope not tho..bc I do, not like in a crazy way. It's just like you're trying to improve yourself or at least thats what it is for me. I don't freak out and start chopping. So I guess it really all depends.

sa :)
noo well maybe

fruit_snacks
Rating
if you feel depressed and feel the need to get rid of hair by cutting your hair. why not remove hair from another part of the body. My not remove the hair from your privates.

Whitney
um, yes, because you're destroying a part of who you really are!!! but you know, if you're depressed because you think you have a bad hair cut, then go ahead to fix it... but hun, don't just cut it cuz you're sad... go do like sports, or something, doing that releases endorphins which make you happy, trust me.... but you know, don't try to mess up something thats a part of you just cuz your sad... there are other ways to solve it... besides, will cutting your hair make it all better? the situation is still the same, except your hair is a shorter length...if i was you, don't do it!!!

absit_invidia_verbo
Rating
I dont think so. Unless you were purposly trying to give yourself a hairstyle that you dislike.

SASHA123
Its all in the motive.

You could do it to look better and cheer yourself up.
You could do it to look work as self punishment.

Its all in the motive.

David L
Ever since 1995 I have looked at Depression as a bodily defense mechanism. I think people do not understand Depression.

bigbot
Rating
cut your lawn next time

JIM R
Yes and No

American Indians do this when "Grieving" the loss of family or friend

I have done it with tears in my eyes for the same reason.

If this is the case,say nothing,it is very personal.

love-lys- mile
Rating
yes

kray
it depends on the intention. if the thought behind the act is to derogate from the subject's perception of personal attractiveness, then yes, it is self-destructive. if this is the case then it has to do with self-esteem. the subject is trying to manifest externally a sense of diminished personal worth. "i'm ugly and worthless inside--i need to show it in my appearance."

on the other hand, if the intent is simply to make a change, then the act would not be characterized as self-destructive. if the subject is feeling depressed, he/she may attempt to change his/her appearance in order to express a desire for internal change. if this is the case then the step may actually be perceived as positive--an action-oriented attempt to disrupt the dysfunctional status quo. in other words: "i'm feeling bad, i need to make some changes to get out of this funk."

often the reality of such an act is somewhere in between these two extremes--a measure of both a desire for positive change and an act of self-mutilation. in any case, it is certainly a cry for help. if you are talking about yourself, you ought to consider seeking some kind of professional counseling--if you're in school, a guidance counselor is a good place to start, or you could ask your doctor to recommend a mental health professional.

good luck

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy