Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

COULD I BE DEPRESSED?
most people describe me as a funny, smart and pretty girl but recently ive been crying constantly and i feel isolated and so alone. i hav tried 2talk to a friend but she kind of disregards it and ...

Depression?
I Suffer from social anxiety disorder and its interfering with my life
well.. i have no life lol because of it my mums gona fone my doctor and try and get me a phsychiatrist or something to help ...

Tell me why my husband blames all his bad behavior on being bipolar - isn't he ever to blame for hurting me?
Ever since my husband was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, all of his bad, even abusive behavior gets blamed on the lack of meds before treatment, porblems with meds since treatment, or just the ...

What makes u happy?

Anyone out there with excessive anxiety?
I have an anxiety disorder (Anxiety NOS) and I had a really bad day. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope?
Additional Details
Yes, I do know what NOS means. (Not otherwise ...

This is really weird what do you think it is?
right i have this crazy nonsense talking voice in my head
and it keeps claiming this guy is my son (i know weird)
and this guy certainly is not (hes 20 years older than me)
hes the ...

Should I admit myself to the hospital?
I'm crying & very depressed....

Am i a freak, or does anyone else do this? Why do i do this?
i often find that, when i'm on the verge of being very low, i will 'feed' my depression, for example by searching for questions on here to do with self harm or suicide, so that i then ...

Why do people commit suicide .Are they not afraid of death?
What can be the reasons that they are not even afraid to finish their life ....

Happy easter everyone!?
for all those in here who will be finding today a very difficult day, i wish you smiles, happiness, hugs and chocolate eggs. :)
(((((hugs)))))
a hope you all have a great day!...

Overdose?? Dangerous ??
I'm 14, 100 pounds, I had a horrible headace, I was stupid and I took 4 pills of 500 mg extra strength tylenol...2000 mg in all.
I've also been on Zoloft (antidepressant) for about a ...

Is it wrong to think of death? A LOT?

A question about depression?
I think I might be depressed. I'm only a teen, and am afraid my amatuer self diagnosis won't be taken seriously, so i need to know your views. Last year, one of my friends (who wants to be ...

Why is everyone so against suicide?
If someone is so miserable and in so much pain. why do we want them to live in such a condition. if we humans are so compassoate. wht don't we help them be free. Especially christians always ...

How can I go to sleep easily?
I quit smoking weed for more than 6 six months ago, but I still have sleepless nights sometimes because I am sober....

Do you think self injury is a disorder?

What will you do,if you know that this is the last day you live?

What is the point of being alive ?
Work. Pay bills. Sleep. Avoid fake people.
Talk to one's dog.
Additional Details
Yep: I forgot ...

Would you consider this bulimia?
Since I was 13 I had off and on trowing up, I'd do it for 4-5 months, and I'd stop for a few and then do it for another 4-5 months (everyday 2-3 times a day) i got help for that because i ...

Is this a mental health problem, how to get help?
if a teenager tells lots of lies, very manipulative and convincing (not on drugs) has great highs and circling lows, creates horrific problems between people, doesnt keep friends for long, but tells ...

Chaching
Is bi-Polar a real disease or an excuse?
Hi -

I have Bipolar and have noticed some interesting perspectives from the "Mentally Correct" population. Please answers these questions truthfully. Read on...

It seems everyone is "Bipolar" nowdays and the term is losely used. Are you afraid of people who have this disease and how do you feel about them? Are you truly supportive of them or do you avoid them and talk behind their backs? What is your view and description of someone with bipolar and how do you know they are not simply using it as an excuse? Do you know someone who has this disease? Are you fearful of them?

Miss Mai Tai
Rating
its a real disease...yes i agree the term is loosley used...some ppl are just ignorant ant want attention

Red Panda
Rating
1) Im not afraid of people who have this effect I have a teacher who has this effect and pretty much she is always in her happy mood, my other friend has it too but she gets pretty mad when she's on her MS. Its fine with me no problem at all.

2) I dont really care about the disease as long they're not too happy and rip off my smile or be angry all the time mind as well tell them to cut their wrist.

3) You can tell if they're lieing or not when they don't even tell they are even bi-polar. You can examine them for a certain period time and they just act themselves. Bi-polar happens when its just there, they just top it off.

4)Check number 1.

5) Not even, they're just cool and great people Im just worried about anger management problems.

Brittany
I am not manic depressive. i believe the people who are have some chemical imbalance affecting their hormones, and it is in no way their fault. I am truly supportive of bipolar people, i have some bipolar friends. My definition of bipolar is someone who has VERY noticeable mood swings, worse than if in puberty. I am not in fear of bipolarness

lytleluv
Rating
i believe it is a real disease. the term is just used improperly these days. im not scared of these people, i am manic at some points so its no big deal. people with mental probs make better friends to me cuz they can understand where you are are coming from.

mom_single_sexy
Rating
I believe everyone has some bi-polar in them it just depends on if there mind can handle it. Please read on....bi-polar is extreme highs and lows.... I know about everyone who at one time or another can go from 0 to ***** in no time or from happy to crying in no time. that is bi-polar. Some people just need meds to control this because they cant do it without the meds. I mean seriously everyone of us has some bi-polar in us or noone would get mad or upset or really happy for bascially no reason. I am not fearful of anyone with it or else i'd be afraid of everyone. I think when people hear bi-polar they think it's really bad but, if they looked in the mirror they would nitce they have a slight case of it themselves just most people dont want to admit it...

Kickaxe
Rating
There are people that really do suffer with this disorder. But at the same time there are just as many or more who use it as a excuse. for the ones that do have it I have empathy for them, Because of all the people who make this a joke and use it as a excuse.

daisie
Rating
First of all, Bi-polar disorder is not a disease; it is caused by a chemical
imbalance in the brain. A person with Bi-polar can even out these chemicals
with a mix of certain drugs prescribed by a psychiatrist. Seeing a therapist regularly helps with sorting through mood swings. One must learn to use
'coping skills' to deal with ups & downs.
People who fear any mental illness are simply ill-informed & ignorant.
One of my children is Bi-polar & my Mom is too, it is genetic.

smile4love
I believe that it is a disease, but some ppl could use it as an excuse. MY sister has it can it can be hard to deal with her at times. Just have to be patient.

iceprincess_12_04
Rating
Yes, bi-polar is a real disease. It's caused by a chemical imbalance in one's brain, and unfortunately, too many people are labeling themselves with this term to excuse away their behaviors, or to hide from the truth about what is really going on with them. I have known a few people who are bi-polar, and I'm not now, nor have I ever been afraid of them, even though I have seen them become physically aggressive during a manic phase. I am very supportive of someone with any type of illness, because bi-polar, like many other diseases, is no one's fault, and no one ever asked to be bi-polar. I don't hide from them or talk behind their backs. What good would that do, except ostracise them even more from society than the label of being bi-polar already does? I think that some people falsely label themselves as bi-polar as an excuse for behavior or social problems, and I think that's a shame, but those who are truely bi-polar don't use it as an excuse, they genuinely try to get better and to control their disease, because no one likes to be labeled as crazy or insane, and no one likes to live their lives that far out of control. I hope you have a good doctor, and that you're committed to helping yourself. I'm sure you have a great support group of family and friends who love you very much, and that's the best medicine. Good luck.

poisoneva
Rating
Yes it most definitely is a medically recognized mental disorder. I have a friend that took his own life due to it after years and years of struggling with it. There is no reason to be fearful of the person afflicted with it, only the fear that the disease will cause the victim of it to harm themself.

kevin g
Rating
Bipolar disorder is real. I have it and it is very real. The way I deal with it is to continue with my medications and just being myself. In fact, I have found a new productive hobby that keeps me from focusing on my disorder (which is photography) and I truly enjoy my new found hobby. If people cannot accept me for who I am(bipolar and all) they have a problem, not me.

jk
my uncle is bi-polar as long as he remains on his medication he is ok he is a really nice guy and fun to be around I am not afraid of my uncle in the slightest

Kimberly H
Bipolar is a real medical condition, my Best friend in college, was diagnosed with it. The hard part was , she was misdiagnosed 2 times before, being correctly treated. With the proper medication, she lives a normal life,her friends love and support her.Read up on the actress Patty Duke, she has bipolar, it took years for her to get diagnosed correctly, you may find you have similarities with her life.

coffeejitterzz
I was diognosed with bi-polar 8 or more years ago and I feel at times it was real. But others it werent. I still have highs and lows but manage them better then i used to. I used to do things without thinking like cursing out a police officers or driving my car into a wall... But now i think to myself why do i want to do that? I will have to pay for my actions. Anyways i really do think it has a lot to do with your own mental thinking. If everyone around you is always telling you that your sick and have to be on medications for the rest of your life and people are letting the things you do slide simply because you are bi-polar, then you are going to act out and not care to even think about what your doing. I think that all has some part in it. But i also do believe bi-polar is real, but nowadays i think people are reading WAY to many books and researching these things THEN going to there docters. Knowing they put all the sypmtoms into there own heads already and then they act on them. I think its all just way to out of hand these days on how fast a doc is to diognose someone.

ixi26c
I know people who are bipolar, although it is not severe enough to be dangerous and destructive to themselves and other people. It just makes functioning very difficult and unhealthy. To me, bipolar disorder could range from someone staying up all night for several days because they're having a brilliant idea, and then dropping it the next day and feeling completely unmotivated or unable to see the idea realized...it could be that they feel great for a week and shop a lot, very compulsively, and then they feel overwhelmed and don't want to anything. For some their mania can be so severe that they are dangerous and hallucinate and threaten people. Their depression could be equally as severe. It is NOT an excuse; it is a chemical imbalance. We will be talking about it in length in my drugs and behavior class but I already know enough about it to say that it's a physiological disorder.

mom of 2
It is very real. I have a few family members with it and an 8 year old daughter who shows classic systems, yet most in the medical field will not diagnose a child at such a young age. Am I afraid? Not of them, but what they feel and what they may do to themselves. My daughter's moods worry me everyday. I don't know what she feels inside. All I see is this very tiny for her age little angel that has so many emotions bursting inside. I feel helpless at this point. In time I hope to have a full understanding, but I don't think that anyone who does not experience bi polar will understand completely. We can only see what is before us and feel some of the pain. You will see many who do not believe there are mental illnesses, but will wear glasses because they can't see.

cruisingalong
Rating
It is a definite chemical inbalance in the brain. Yes I know someone who has it and they are very unpredictable since they totally deny having a problem. If she would take her medication I am sure there would be a marked improvement.

Gypsy Girl
I also have Bipolar disorder. I have spent the last 3 years on an emotional rollercoaster. I think I finally have the right medication now, and I'm looking into going back to work. As with any mental illness, there are some people who don't actually have it and just use it as an excuse for bad behavior. We call them malingerers. They are the reason some people don't believe the rest of us who actually have a mental illness.

Life's tough, just try to make the best of it.

me
REAL DISEASE m- and it is painfully horrible to some people.

MadforMAC
Rating
It is a mental health disorder and not an excuse or disease.

How I treat someone has a lot to do with what is wrong with them and how they treat me. I don't agree that it is something that everyone is being diagnosed with, it is just that more people are seeking out counseling. I am not saying that psychology is perfect, by any means.

I am only fearful of people who give me reason to be fearful...or really cautious. I know people with bipolar I don't think they use it as an excuse. I don't talk behind their backs and I don't actively avoid them. Are they my favorite people if they aren't taking their meds, heck no, they can be really lousy to deal with. That is why proper diagnosis, medication and counseling is so important. So they can live a normal life and not cause problems for others in their life too.

May I help You?
Rating
If yo have a job, you will feel the discrimination. If you tell others, they will talk behind your back.
People have acceptance for medical problems but don't like it if it affects the brain.....but they do accept brain cancer, but not brain thinking problems.

It's important to take your medication and get the proper amount of sleep if you have bipolar affective disorder, and any other depression. Otherwise you cut back on your sleep more and more and then you start to lose focus and reality changes drastically!

Good nutrition, moderate exercise, taking the correct dosage of medication, and getting enough sleep can bring back your control of your life....and don't forget to give all of your fears to your doctor in the form of statements that you feel and questions that you have about ANYTHING!
This is your life, your body, and YOUR mind and you deserve any answers you need from the medical profession.
Keep going and take care of yourself...now and forever!

banananose_89117
Bipolar disorder is an imbalance in the chemicals of the body which causes a person to have serious mood swings. No, I do not fear anyone with the diagnosis. Yes, I have a family member with the diagnosis who is working on a masters degree. Those members of the family who are aware of the diagnosis are very supportive and glad to know now that all those years of mood swings including anger and withdrawl had a biological reason.

Only a psychiatrist can make the diagnosis, all other mental health professionals and laymen who thinks they can judge others can only diagnosis what is called "displays symptoms similar to bipolar disorder."

I don't think it should be used as an excuse, rather as a stepping stone to making changes in a lifestyle to stabilize the mood swings.

Carol H
Rating
Hi bi polar is really a disease. No I am not afraid of ppl that have this disease. I myself have major Depression and have had it for a long long time but I am on medication for it and it keeps me in perspective so I don`t feel ashamed or bad about anyone who is bi polar or has a chemical imbalanced in their brain. I have an aunt or I should say a great aunt and she was in a in sanitorium...think of it this way if she would or could have had medication for her mental illness she could have lived a beautiful life...She had major Depression also. It seems to run in my family but I am no ashamed to talk about it. No I do not fear them as I am in there category. Yes there is more Bipolar and all other mind diseases that can be teated now and ppl should be happy for the long medical history that help the mentally population.

katatpeace
Rating
It is a real disease. It is basically a chemical imbalance in the brain. The degrees vary for each person on what kind of effects there are.

nikita p
Rating
it is a chemical(sp) inblacen(sp) in the brain and i have it

sindi
yes its a very real disease

racer 51
Hi back, my brother is bi-polar, and my son is mixed bi-polar.i think the term is loosely used only by those who have know idea what they are talking about. the only ones to be afraid of are those who have stronger violant tendencies but even those people seem to usually direct their anger at specific people.having lived with my son for the last 20 yrs. i know its not an excuse.my bro is more severe.i don't really talk about him behind his back but i do discuss him with family members in order to figure things out. my biggest problem with all of this is when they refuse to do anything to help correct it. bi-polar is real, there are many meds and drs. out there who can help. people with this disorder hurt themselves and those who love them if they don't get that help.no matter what i love them and will always support them. best of luck to you.

space chick
I am a bona-fide bipolar. Diagnosed about 13 years ago and reached the extreme ends of both poles back then, hospitalized, had to start life over again broke, no job, broken relationships etc... Now highly functional and an overachiever as a result of my downfall. So many people I know have been "messed up" or on pills or alcoholics, or are close to someone who is, so I don't feel stigmatized in my little world and I don't care either. I also worked in mental health for years, so I know there are many more of us out there than most people realize.

Yes, I do think the word is loosely used and not always understood as a medical condition that requires chemical treatment and close monitoring.

Honestly, yes I was fearful of bipolar before I was diagnosed - the disease, not the person who had it. Some part of me just always knew something wasn't right "up there".

Mrs.Carter
Rating
its real my dad has bi-polar mood disorder to-my brother died and trust me its real as real can get

kinndee
Rating
Its real. I suffer with it every day. I will get on these kicks where I don't need to sleep or eat, all I want to do is spend money, which I don't have. So now the credit cards are thru the roof. Then when I "come down" I don't want to do anything but sleep and vegetate. Its very real.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy