Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

No more "self harming" myself.....?
In 7th grade I started to cut. Then I stopped that cuz I got into eraser burns my freshman year. I realized that there was no reason why I should be doing that and quit all "self harm" in N...

Help Me!!!?
One of my best friends is trying to kill herself by cutting her arms and legs.Is their anything i should do or should i just leave her alone???...

Do you have any kind of phobia?
I'm terrified of mosquitoes and crane flies >.>!...

How do I tell my parents that I cannot go back to school yet?
I just had Christmas break and I fly back to school tomorrow. They recently told me that they noticed that I was depressed and that they were worried. They said that I shouldn't go back yet and ...

Is this considered child abuse?
i am 13 yrs old
my mom calls me bad words, slaps me across the face, throws me out of the house, and yells at me all because i haven't cleaned my room
i cry and feel depressed after ...

Where would I go to get a lobotomy?
I am bored with abstract thought and long for a simpler less confusing life. Who would I talk to about getting a lobotomy?...

What is wrong with me?
I am sad all the time. I dont like to do anything i used to do... or anything at all i dont even want to skateboard and a few months ago it was all i ever did and i am allways turning down ...

Should people with mental illness or addiction have children?
So you think it is morally and ethically correct for someone with a mental illness or an addiction to have children, when there is a chance they could pass on the trait/tendancy to this illness to ...

Why do people cut themselves?
on tv you hear about teenagers cutting themselves. why do they do it?...

What do you fear the most??

What do I do when I wish I was dead and I'm only 15?
Since I'm pretty healthy, one side of my family lives to be realllly old, and medical technology is increasing, that means I have who knows how many years! Like 80! Every day I wish so bad I was ...

Is life always so f**ken hard?
in june 2007 i was raped as a male it was very hard 4 me 2 cope. life has only got harder will it get any better who has a bad time living??? can we pull through
Additional Details

Am I depressed?
Constant breakdowns. Afraid i'll never find happiness. I'm the lonliest person, super sensitive. Mother is bi-bolar unaware of how much she hurts me. parents are super strict.divorced. Not ...

I keep having suicidal feelings why do i feel this way how do i get it to stop an leave me alone forever?

Do you ever just stare at the wall for hours on end?
I maybe just at the floor - staring at nothing and thinking nothing. Is this normal?...

I have asked it before, but I need help!?
I'm really depressed, and I have really bad anxiety...I think I'm fat and ugly...and people get mad because they don't see how I could think that...I get really nervous around people......

What do u do when u get really depressed?
what do u do when u get really really ...

Are you afraid of dying?
Every year around my birthday I get depressed about getting older. Any suggestions that don't involve, drinking or drugs?...

How do i tell my parents I'm depressed?
Ok I'm have 13 and have been pretty depressed for about the past year, no one has noticed except my best friend. She keeps telling me ,to tell me parents but i just don't know how. I have ...

Is it acceptable to rely on someone else for happiness?

DH
Im really ashamed of this but, I self-harm and need help.?
Is there anyway I can cover up the cuts on my body? And it will not wash off in the shower or bath etc. Could I use make-up or would it just wash off? Because people are getting suspicious about never seeing my arms etc

TERRY C
Rating
why do you hurt yourself?
it makes me feel sad

some guy
Blame it on a guy you don't like, then he will be put in prison.

Anulae
Rating
You could use make-up like coverups/foundations, etc, but they will wash off. You'll have to re-apply it every day or several times a day. For scars you could use a scar cream? You can also use an antibiotic ointment like neosporin to speed the healing of cuts.

Kymira
i have a friend who had a tattoo done up to hid e the cuts....

nellie1379416
Rating
i know i have the same question! no ones getting suspicious tho cuz its winter and all

mandalaybay16
Rating
Hi--The relief found in self-injury is almost always short-lived. You may feel better for a little while, only to find that distressing emotions have quickly returned and you're once again reaching for a razor to cut your arm or a match to burn your stomach, even if you vowed to stop injuring yourself. Self-injury can become almost habitual — you may automatically turn to self-injury without stopping to consider other, safer alternatives to handling distress.

Self-injury may be more dangerous than you think. You risk hurting yourself more seriously than you intended — for instance, severing an artery that can lead to life-threatening blood loss. If you injure yourself while you're under the influence of illicit drugs or alcohol, you increase your risk of inflicting serious injury or even death.

It's very difficult to overcome self-injury on your own. Getting treatment from a mental health professional with experience in self-injury issues can help you learn healthier ways to cope — ways that won't leave your body permanently scarred. Try to work up the courage to confide in someone you trust, whether it's a friend or loved one, a health care professional or a school or university employee. They can help you take the first steps to successful treatment.

If you engage in self-injury, it's important to follow your treatment and to take care of yourself:

Self-care measures you can take include:

Following your treatment plan, including attending psychotherapy appointments and taking prescribed medications as directed.
Fully disclosing incidents of self-injury to your doctor.
Trying to find ways to cope other than injuring yourself, such as reaching out to a friend, practicing relaxation techniques, contacting a support group or getting in touch with your doctor.
Resolving not to underestimate the ability to change your life in positive ways.
Avoiding alcohol and illicit drugs.
Shunning Internet sites that claim to endorse self-injury as a lifestyle choice. Instead, seek out sites that are supportive of your efforts to stop self-injury.
Caring properly for your wounds when you do injure yourself, such as seeking medical treatment when necessary and following appropriate first-aid guidelines.

Melly
You realy have to talk to some one about this you can not go on hiding it one day you mite cut to hard and you wont no what to do I suggest going to your gp and they can advise you and give cream to help!

Snow White
The only real way to cover up wounds is with clothing or bandages. I know there are creams you can get to help fade scarring. There's Bio-oil, available from places like Boots, it's not cheap but apparently works really well and can also be used on stretchmarks! If you cover up with make-up it will simply wash off unless it's extreme heavy duty stuff.
The main thing you need to do is get some professional help. Make an appointment to see your GP. Their job is to help you so they should not be judgemental or anything and they are bound by patient confidentiality. They should be able to refer you to appropriate services e.g- counsellors, the mental health team, psychologists etc.

For now, check out these sites for info:

www.selfharm.org.uk
www.mind.org.uk
www.rcpsych.ac.uk
www.childline.org.uk
www.supportline.org.uk/problems/selfin...
www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/men...
www.nshn.co.uk

Servant of الله
working out a lot usually helps the healing process faster and since it's winter i wouldn't think it's that hard to keep your arms from being seen, i suggest you get counceling

Kerry84
Rating
Please please don't feel ashamed, you're not the only one who does this but you should really think about trying to stop. I used to self harm but now class myself as recovered as I haven't done it for about 2 years, although there were lots of relapses on the road to recovery.

I found support groups on the web were the best way for me to get help, by talking to others who'd been through similar things and picking up tips on how to stop. They've already been name-checked in previous answers so please give them a try.

Although my scars have faded, they're still visible and I still get asked questions on them sometimes, but I'm stronger now and can just laugh it off when people start asking me things I don't want to answer.

ummsulaima
Rating
Please see your GP.

eastib
go see a counselor

Harvest Angel of Wisdom
This site has a lot of useful links:

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/cutting.html

Also, consider giving this number a call...

Self Harm Hotline

1-800-DONTCUT

Help for "cutters"

ella,UK
I don't know anything about you or why you do it,i am not qualified in any way to help you-but what you are doing is so tragic-i am sure that it makes you feel better for a while-but what then? you feel even worse afterwards?

maybe coming on here is the first step,you are acknowledging what you are doing is crazy and from here you can move on to the next step of getting some professional help-hopefully there will be some good answers on here that will help you onto that road to recovery,i hope that is so,best of luck my friend...

Tim D
Make up wont make your arms look natural. Cuts and scratches tend to be look angry and red. The only way to cover it is with clothing which your doing. My guess is the people getting suspicious may have caught a glimpse of your cuts already. You need to start to tackle this.

There are quite a few websites by and for self-harmers. Below are some of them, some have online communities. You’re not alone.

http://www.recoveryourlife.com/
http://www.selfharm.org.uk/default.aspa
http://survive.org.uk/selfharm.html
http://www.nshn.co.uk/
http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Bookl...
http://www.selfharm.net/
http://www.lifesigns.org.uk/

Your admitting that your feeling ashamed and need help, make up isn't the answer.
Do think of seeing a doctor about it and ask if there's anyone they can refer you to.
If you really trust one of your friends maybe admit to them what your doing and try and describe why its happening. Reach out. Keeping feelings locked inside is one reason people self harm. And look at those websites.

Rachel D
of course you cant wash them off, your scarring your body. how are you going to feel about your body when your old and wrinkly and everythings going grey? then you've got these horrible scars on top of it?
you should stop trying to hide it & get some help. If you've really got a problem and aren't attention seeking, you'll consider it.

poojari
Rating
wear full sleave shirt to cover up.

missey01_uk
Rating
Don`t be ashamed i used to do it, i use to cover with long sleeve jumpers and t-shirts, but you need to get help from professional person and talk to them about whats bothering you i did took along time for me to accept what was happening in my life, maybe even speak to relative or friend, you welcome to emial me if you want to express anything,

pullthetrigger
The scars will fade a bit over time. but until they do you can use makeup - it will probably wash off, but who's going to see you in the bath or shower? just re-apply it afterwards. or you could try a scar treatment such as Bio-oil or Mederma. they will also take time, but should help to reduce the appearance of the scars.

Covering up cuts is easier as you just cut on a part of your body where it can't be seen, but that's really just running away from the problem. you need to speak to a doctor/counsellor/psychiatrist about your self harm. they can help you to get to the root cause of the problem and they can help you sort it out. the only real way to get rid of the scars is to stop cutting, which is very difficult to do on your own, so please get help before you end up doing serious damage, or end up cutting so deep that you die.

until you get help, take care of the cuts, as this can help to reduce scarring. whatever you use to cut yourself, keep it very clean - sterilise it if you are completely breaking the surface of the skin. keep the cuts clean - use an antiseptic spray or wipes. use plasters or bandages to cover the wounds, and use stereostrips to pull the skin together if the wound is gaping (though ideally if it is gaping you should seek medical help, as you will probably need stitches. stitches would help to reduce the scarring.) once the cuts form a scab, do not pick or scrape at the scab, as this can cause scarring. just leave the scab to come off on its own. if there is still scarring once the cut is healed, then use makeup or scar treatments.

or instead of cutting, you could try alternatives, such as snapping an elastic band against your wrist, or squeezing an ice cube, or drawing on yourself with red pen. there are so many things you can do (email me for more), you just need to find one that works for you.

the reality of self harm is that you're going to have to live with scars. if you have the courage (which i don't), you could just wear whatever you want, and if people ask about the scars, explain what you did and why, or say it's personal and you don't want to talk about it, or just walk away. some people look at their scars and think of it as signs that they have battled with their emotions and problems, and if they no longer self harm, they look back at them and see they have won those battles. although we may feel ashamed, people really have no right to judge, unless they have been in the situation themselves. it is just another coping mechanism - the same as when people drink.

feel free to email me if you want to talk about it.
Stay strong, stay safe.

Angel
First thing I want to say to you is don't be ashamed why should you. Be proud that you have found a way to cope with what is going on in your life. I have been a self harmer for over 7 years now and I used to be ashamed now I wear my scars with pride knowing I have coped through some hellish times. You might not ever feel like this and want to keep them covered up or even get rid of them totally, If this is the case there is creams and gels that can help you. I know of one which is supposed to be quite good it is called Dermatix Silicone gel and is available on prescribtion. there is other options if you are serious like steriod tape or steriod injections I don't want to tell you too much because it may depend on the type of scars you have and how bad they are. I just want you to know though never be ashamed good luck to you and don't build your hopes up there is treatment out there for you if you are serious but remember it will take time as well. take care and well done for recognsing you need help

Me
u should tell your parents and get help

josephrob2003
Rating
forget the covering up,get down to your doctor for real help, you cant go on like this, do you know why you self harm?. are you on your own?, or do you have a partner?.
dont leave it any longer,do it now.

Amelia
Rating
wrist bands, long sleeve shirts, etc. or u can buy some scar treatment and make them heal.

Dora Lou
Once you break the skin a scar is created. Those scars will be with you forever. The most important thing is to stop injuring. This is something you probably cant do alone. Most people need therapy or counseling. Some even need medication. Talk to someone who can help. A counselor or trusted adult.
You cant keep hiding something if you keep making it bigger.

MJ77
This will no doubt get removed by yahoo before many people get to read it but what the hell-To all those who are being snide and saying shes stupid etc-FCUK OFF!!!!! You havent been there and dont know the first damn thing about it. People like you need shooting because you run your mouth thinking you know everything when in fact you know very little.

There is no quick fix to your problem. My girlfriend self harmed A LOT when she was younger and the scars on her arms are HORRIBLE, really thick and obvious. She doesnt hide them though. My advise to you is just to try and get your head round it, dont be afraid of people seeing because those who matter wont judge you. Im sure you're still a good person on the inside.
If that doesnt help then there are creams you can buy to reduce the scars a little bit(theyre not cheap though)

I hope you get through it, all the best

x

Accident Man
Rating
Sort your head out, roll your sleeves up, and deal with it.

I did (took 30 years though), and still bear the scars.

Shana B
Rating
You do need help, but not with covering up your cuts.

You need to go to a doctor so you can get help to stop cutting.

J K
Rating
Please go talk to someone. I'm a teacher and A LOT of kids do things they don't want others to know about--and they think they are the only ones who do it. I'd say, out of 100 kids, about 40 do things they are ashamed of. Please talk to a teacher/parent/social worker that you trust or at least like. They can help you. Oh, and if you need to cry to start the conversation, do it! It makes you feel better sometimes.

elisabeth m
seek proffessional help.hiding wounds will not help. u might go to the beach when u get well, then what???all the best

DogzBolokz
you need proper help honey..see your doc.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.144
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy