Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

What's the quickest way to off yourself?
what i have been doing isn't working or is not fast enough. please help me someone quick and easy. i don't own a gun yet....

What are you addicted to, not necessarily drugs, that you think you can't live without?
For me, it's books. When I run out of books to read I'll read anything. Also, my computer and internet. Just thinking about not having it is terrifying!
Additional Details

My best best best friend died. Please read.?
I'm 13. I've been best friends with this girl since I was 8 years old. On March 5th, my best friend died suddenly. She was just 15. How can I move on with my life. Because I know she doesn&#...

How much longer do i have to live by my parents rules??

Is cutting yourself really that bad???
ive been doing it for 5 years now...and i dont see the harm in ...

I have a very strange, kind of sick secret. is this realy a bad thing?
I have been thin all my life. I am very attractive. But then I had kids and put on a lot of wieght. I am fat and unattractive now. But here is the wierd sick thing. I secretly like being fat. sure I ...

I am ready to kill myself?
i constantly get made fun of. i get called fat i get called ugly and i don't even know what happy really is anymore. people call me fat to my face and i don't know what to say back. my &...

If you punch an arm or leg hard enough, could it break?
Or would it just leave a bad bruise?...

What do you miss about your childhood?
I miss all my legos......

What's the secret of happiness?
Serious answers please - I have suffered on and off with depression all my life, and never seem to able to enjoy my life and be happy with what I've got. How does everyone else manage it?...

I'm 19 and I still watch Telitubies.What is wrong with me?
I dont have children....

Why can't i stop skipping classes?
i just dont care about school anymore. i know when i dont go to class i'm going to get caught but i still do it. some times i just end up comming for one period. my mum knows i do it, and she ...

What or who made you laugh this week?

Additional Details
I love Extras with Ricky Gervais, he makes me laugh out ...

14 and depressed?
For probably a 2-3 years I have been feeling increasingly depressed. There has been no trigger for the depression to start, nothing bad has happened to me, and yet I feel so unhappy. My depression ...

Have you ever had the kind of day where you want to stay inside the house and not face the world at all?

I Need to Die?
I tried ti kill myself months ago with out sucess. This time I plan to go to work on Monday and then when I finish work on monday stay in a B&B and then on tuesday I'm on a course and when I...

Your opinions on suicide?
Have you ever tried to commit suicide?

Was it a real and failed attempt or a cry for help? And do you get p****d off with people who say it's selfish? (For those who dont know it is ...

Am i crazy?
i talk to myself. i dont do any thing bad. i'm depressed and hate life. i've had eating disorders. i cant trust any one. thats why i'm asking you, cause you dont know who i really am....

I am 5'7, and I have no confidence in myself because I am too tall...what do I do to feel good about myself
When I am around my friends I feel weird cause I am the tallest one there, and I dont feel comfertable around them. I am so worried, what can I do??
Additional Details

Suicide methods?
Can someone please tell me the quickest way to do this - have tried cutting my wrists but I can seem to cut deep enough - please dont try to talk me out of it I've had enough i want to go - ...

GARETH M
I want to quit smoking but I always seem to fail! Does anybody have any tips?
I want to quit smoking to save money and for the sake of my health but every time I give up i get paranoid and angry at the slightest thing! I think half of it is all in my head, I convince myself that life is not worth living without smoking.
Any ideas, tips or suggestions?

robert d
Rating
I am 51 years of age and hve been smoking since I was 16. Over the last few years I have tried to give up but always found it too difficult.I live abroad and when i was back in the UK earlier this year,i went to see a good friend of mine.he is the same age as me and had been smoking for the same amount of time as me.To my astonishment he had given up his 60 per day habit ,and hasn't had a cigarrette for 18months.He recommended to me Allen Carr's "how to give up smoking the easy way"I got the book,it is as boring as hell,but I havn't had a cigerrette since the 18th August and not had any real cravings either. by the way, the book says percevere until the end of the book,I didn't,I stopped smoking just over half way through.
Try it,and good luck.

stress-'ead
Me too! I've just bought Paul McKenna's Stop Smoking DVD, I'm convinced it's gonna work he knows all about the psyche that guy. Why don't you try it! What have you got to lose apart from the price of the dvd or your life through lung cancer.

frankdjm2000
I have been a smoker for over 40 years and have tried everything from will power, Gum, Patches, Hypnotism and acupuncture to no avial, that is untill I read Allan Carr's book the easy way to give up smoking!!!! what a load of toot read a book that starts by telling you not to stop smoking till you have finished reading it? well I had to laugh for over 40 years I have been smoking and there is nothing you could tell me about how difficult it was to give up, that was till I read this wonderfull book and I havent smoked for over 2 years now!! try it

Charlie D
Hey, I'm a smoker too and I understand completely where your coming from, I know its very hard if you get angry of upset but I find if I'm going through my stage of wanting to stop I get a pint of water and take a deep breath and drink the whole lot which usually gets rid of the craving, if that doesn't work try eating oranges, apparently its a fantastic way of getting rid of that horrible craving! Good luck! x

hell oh
Rating
each day start a little bit later, even if it is a minute or two. after you start just smoke as usual. after you make it to around lunch or early afternoon it will be easy

cbjdot
lifes to short to worry about if you want to stop stop i did after 22 years of smoking,it was me that wanted to stop for myself thats all you can do no tips just do it for yourself and give yourself a chance of a better life good luck and i wish you will.

cherub
my boyfriend gave it up instantly after reading the Allen Carr book. He was smoking about 12 a day and went straight off them all successfully. Only effects were weight gain.Good luck trying to give them up.

jkn321
Rating
I packed in 18 yrs ago, I did not smoke while driving, or at work, or while asleep so I worked it out logically, seeing that I did not smoke for 75% of the day why bother at all, and I went cold turkey. No problem at all, no withdrawal symptoms, and have never desired a cigarette since (no lie) I have my sense of taste and smell back, just overall better health etc. And I cannot stand the smell of the smoke either in pubs or on peoples clothing. Give a real go and mean it, it is the only way.

Andy C
Rating
I quit in june this year an still have not had one! i went cold turkey the worse bit is the first 3 days! after that the cravins get less day by day! Patchs are to expensive an u cant get them free on the NHS just at a knocked down price!
The way i see it is that tabacco not as addictive as heroin! you dont need a substitue!

Peter B
Try Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It really works. He also runs workshops which you can attend.

Roger W
Alan Carr's book Easy Way to stop Smoking worked for me on the second reading. I'd tried patches and cold turkey a few times as well. Important that you also want to stop or else you'll be trying because you think you should, not because you want to.

ALEX L
Rating
HYPNOSIS.

I have treated over 300 people, and am proud to boast a 93.3% success rate (288 permanently quit out of 312) with less than 2 hours total treatment. (a further 9 quit but relapsed within 12 months)

orchid2800
Rating
When you find yourself becoming angry or agitated about the smallest thing, Sit down Take 21 deep breaths and think about what exactly it was that you were mad or agitated about to begin with. I guarantee you won't remember what it was. i have heard from several people that if you practice something 21 times it becomes habit forming. Maybe it will work for you

When you feel like you are having a craving for a smoke, Meditate about it, ask yourself just how important is that cigarette to you, or you can Find a good HypnoTherapist to help you with the cravings or/and, Take a moment everyday for yourself to relax.

Try getting a Massage atleast once a week, It will help you to relax your mind from all the tensions in your life that are causing you to want to smoke.
Also you can find a friend that does not smoke and ask to chill with them for a few minutes or a few hours. Definitely avoid Smoking friendly environments, Smoking friends and family members, I know thats hard to do if you are close to your friends and family, but you have to take the temptation out of the picture.

I was taught that, at any point in our lives we have the ability to change our own minds. Thats the want and will you have to have to be able to achieve this feat.

spyke the kid
to less it as time gos by cut the end of the cigerett so ur smoking less and do this bit by bit till theres non left then u probaly wont smoke any more

try this site for help!
http://www.nicocure.com/?aid=881766

kelly
Rating
I had to stop smoking because i got pregnant. It is hard at first yes but you get over it. I get fantastic help from my smoke free pregnancy midwife without her support i too would have probably failed. You can get the same sort of help off of professionals too. Just ask your doctors for the telephone number. Honestly though it might seem silly talking to strangers but it really helps. They will probably give you something to help with the nicotine withdrawal like patches. I feel fantastic, never felt better, just keep trying you'll get there hun

maho222
Rating
To quit, all you have to do is never have another smoke again. I only quit a couple of months ago and thought I'd get all the worrying withdrawal symptoms and cravings and start putting on weight. All I have noticed is I look healthier, I have become more confident as a person and I have more money than I used to. Every morning I wake up and take a deep breath and feel more oxygen entering my blood. I realise it is not an easy task but again, to stop smoking... all you have to do is never have another cigarette again.

PAZ
you shouldn't of started to smoke in the first place what you gotta to is put all the horrible horrible nasty smelly murdering tobacco in the bin and put the rubbish/trash/garbage outside

CHRIS S
join a stop smoking group ask at your doctors about it

Simone
Keep smoking and put all your butts in a jar filled with a little water. You'll soon see the colour of your lungs and this will be a sure turn off, it worked for me. Goodluck.

never2pink
every time you eat brush your teeth and rinse with cinnamon flavored mouthwash.

drink a lot of pink grapefruit juice...

and PRAY!

tacho
Rating
go to the doctors and get the patches on the NHS but to be honest it more to do with will power you will feel a hell of a lot better when you've given up and food taste like food again (i use to smoke 40 a day)good luck

Grannyman
Rating
Yes,I found using 2 patches instead of 1 worked for me.I stuck them over my eyes so I couldn't find my cigarettes!

strawberri_shortcake
Rating
Don't use patches
Don't use inhalers
Don't use gum
Don't use self-help books
Don't use hypnosis

You need to be truly ready in your own head before you will successfully quit. When that time comes it is largely down to breaking habits more than anything else. For example, if you used to have a cigarette waiting for the bus to work, take the train. If you drive to work and used to light up at a certain point each day, change your route.

If you always had a cigarette with your morning coffee, switch to tea or use that time to drink juice and do some exercise or something.

Anything else is subterfuge. You need to just quit, go cold turkey. The only people I know who have quit successfully are those who just quit without any Ă¡rsing around. But you DO need to be ready or you may as well just not bother.

DEW
I have tried and tested check whyquit.com it is very helpful.Also nicotine anonymous.com. Good luck!You must really want it!You must not be afraid.There is no coldturkey.The cravings only come 6 times a day for no more than 3 minutes, for just the first three days only.Come on what are you afraid of? Just quit it.You can do it!

Night-Ranger
Rating
Quit buying.

You will have to beg for a smoke and soon everyone will force you to stop.

David W
Rating
Quitting smoking is a great opportunity to learn about ourselves.
Congratulate yourself on having the desire to stop - then you are over the worst, but still need to maintain your resolve. It's just so easy to start thinking that just one won't hurt, but it does. Just one achieves nothing except feeling the need for another. Whatever you do, don't have just one. Beware - alcohol will weaken your resolve.
Here's a few home-brewed tips that might be useful.
It's not just nicotine addiction - there are 50+ chemicals in cigarettes. Also the main problem is habit.
We have been used to having body sensations which we translate as 'my body needs something', which we have attempted to satisfy by having a cigarette.
When we try to stop smoking, we still get these 'my body needs something' sensations, and we still feel that we want a cigarette. We have to train our body to be more selective. When we feel we need something, we have to work out what it is that we actually need.
A glass of water is an excellent substitute if nothing else comes to mind, as it helps with the clearance of the toxic substances in our body. Another good substitute is a bag of salted peanuts, used in combination with the water.
Another thing to do is to find an activity which occupies the mind or body. Go swimming - nobody wants to smoke while they are swimming. Slowly, as our body adjusts and translates the 'want something' feelings into something other than cigarettes, then the feelings begin to go away. We know its not a cigarette that the body really needs, because as soon as we've had one we still have the feeling, and want another!
We will have a few bouts of feeling or even being short tempered. We must try to bite our lip, and control; ourselves. Recognise the short temper as being the removal of toxins which are trying to find a way out. They went in through the mouth, and they try to get out that way to. We must learn to keep our mouth closed, and force the toxins out the other way.

After we have stopped for a while we will begin to feel that just one wont to any harm.
All that leads to is a desire for just another one. We must guard very strongly against the desire to have just one.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy