Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

What should i do when i get panic attacks?

What helped you to stop cutting yourself?

If you've ever been suicidal, what prevented you from doing it?

POLL: Do you stress out over little things in your life ???
Thank you....

BIG woman problems ahead for me. Advice urgenty sought ?
My g/f of six months belives i spent 8 years in the Parachute Regiment. I have even brought some second hand body armour for bedroom games and her nickname for me is " Serge"
Problem ...

My sister just stopped breathing. She isn't answering my questions.?
what should I do......

How do i cope with the death of my dad?
any ideas how im ment feel or is feeling numb normal
Additional Details
thank you for all your kind words it's going be hard 2 ...

I am 23 years old. I depend too much on my parents for everything. Am I normal?

Should you ever seek revenge on someone who has caused you suffering and/or pain? Why/Why not?

Weird question that ive always wondered
What time is it and what state do you live in,
I live in oregon and is 4:00 am ...

I only have four cigarettes left?
what am i suppose to do i wont have any money until tomorrow and four cigarettes wont last that long. im not tired so sleeping wont help. IM FREAKING OUT!!! what do i ...

Does any one wish they could delete unwanted information out of their heads?
I find I have far too good of a memory, I remember too much useless knowledge....

How can i improve my knoledge?

How can i get my 17 year old g/f to have a b00b job, i fear she is going saggy already and its not nice?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)!...

I can't control my temper, what can i do about it?
serouisly, i am really gonna end up killing someone one day and i can't stop arguing with my mam. everyday is hell for me! how can i stop being so stressed out? no nasty people please, i know i&#...

Suicide please help?
i am 21 old with Cerebral Palsy i can walk and do everything i just walk funny i have a felony for robbery when i was 18 for a coat that fall off during a fight and then a few months later lost a ...

How do you get ride of stress?

I'm getting ready to snort heroin for the first time. What can I expect?

What is your fear??
what are you most afraid of and why??

its ok dont be ascared!! xxx x x x x
Additional Details
well im arachnaphobic - fear ...

Should I run around the neighborhood naked screaming "I'M A LITTLE GIRL!!"?

dancerhelen2006
I'm really afraid to go to sleep?
I know it sounds really weird, but lately I've been afraid to go to sleep because I'm afraid that I'll be sick in the middle of the night. I know it sounds irrational, but I'm deathly afraid of throwing up and I'm always afraid that it's going to happen at night. So even though I'm really tired, when I lay down I get the thought in my head and then I start getting the feelings, and I can't go to sleep.
Does anyone have any ideas to help me get over this fear so I can start sleeping? Please. I'm just exhausted.

Ludas Rabbi.
Rating
swing your hands in thin air ,i swear to god it helps!

Dann
Rating
I'm no pro but I think its that u feel the most vulnerable during ur sleep. If u can somehow find a way to feel ecure during sleep, then you would get ur much needed REM sleep, lower ur stress levels and it would then be easier to fight of the fear. HOW? I can't help. you need to see a professional, lack of sleep is a serious thing.

crc00000
People don't throw up while they're sleeping. That's not going to happen. If you're going to be sick, you'll wake up in time.

fairydust
Rating
you need to go to a doctor and get help noone here is gonna be able to help you with something like that

jacko
Seek an experienced phobia therapist to treat your emetophobia, ASAP, using the locators at http://www.ezy-build.net. (.net.nz/~shaneris) on page 1; also see the 1-800-therapist website. View page 27: in the meantime, read page 3, and practise the mindfulness breathing, or word/phrase repetition techniques, on page 2, in bed, after lights out, using one of the herbal remedies, if needed. Try to avoid OTCs, or prescription medications, unless the above fails, and never use them, long term.

Adam R
Your question made me smile :). First of all I would tell you to stop worrying. There are many things in life that are not right. If we were to think about each and everyone of them I'm sure we wouldn't be able to sleep. I don't mean to scare you but aren't you scared of death???? People have passed away in their sleep. Would you never go to sleep fearing death??. Take a deep breath and say to your self "I am not going to be sick while I sleep".

Good luck.......
E-mail me If u got more Q's??
:)

m_fellenz
It used to be my summer tradition to stay awake for an entire week... After the mind numbing tiredness and seeing the sun rise and set seven times... Not to mention the horrible halucinations I never really want to stay awake for more then two days straight again... Try that... It'll get you back to a regular sleep schedual quickly... But seriously this could lead to OCD you need to get it taken care of befor it gets worse.

Cha Chi
Rating
just sleep on your side and put a garbage can by your bed. If this doesnt help you should go to the doctor because you could have somthing wrong internally that needs to be looked at. Take Care

jackie bell
Rating
Pray to the Lord my friend...and He will deliver you from all your troubles. He says in the Bible " And he will give his beloved blessed sleep and their dreams will be sweet." He created you and if you believe and pray to Him...He will give you that blessed sleep that you need.

Brittnee
Rating
well i hate throwing up to but really, its not that bad!! just think positive and you willbe fine the more you think about it, then your gonna make yourself sick. its all in your head!!

Jenna J
OK, when you get into bed, position yourself in whats called the recovery position. Lie on your side with the arm thats against the bed positioned behind you, and your other arm infront of you. Do the same with your legs. Its not the most comfortable way to sleep, but this way there is not chance of you rolling onto your back. I think you're afraid of the chance of you choking on your own vomit and dying. So by not rolling onto your back there is no chance of this happening. And please talk to a counselor about your fear.

Crissy
Don't be afraid. It's not like right when your going to go to sleep....BAM It hits you. But if you don't get enough sleep I can guarantee you that you are going to feel awful. I'm sorry but everyone gets sick and throws up at one time. I used to get sick a lot but I hardly ever do know. If your tired enough you'll just go to sleep, trust me. Get some rest and good luck! : )

Licoricekins
Rating
Watch TV while you're falling asleep or focus on something to distract you from thinking about it.

Most of my life I've had the same problem only slightly different. I have a fear of Aliens and I have an extremely hard time falling asleep because I think they're going to abduct me while I sleep (talk about irrational lol).

And I get nervous when I think about, and when I get nervous I get nauseous... Anyway ^^ Distract yourself and before you know it, you'll wake up the next morning and have completely forgotten you were afraid ^^.

Too Curious
Well, I can tell yo ufrom the experience of having a stomach bug that you do not need to fear it. You are part of nature, and nature has a way of protecting it's children.
When I was ill, I had a small plastic trash can by the bed. The one time (at the first of it) that I got sick I woke completely up and made it to the toilet before I got sick.
After that I had the trash can, but I did not need it. The getting sick is a natural reaction to something you body knows does not belong there.
So just lay down and sleep, because if you do get sick, then you will wake up. The only time I have heard of someone not waking is when they do heavy drinking with (or without) drugs.
Avoid the finger down the throat too, and I doubt it wil bother you. If you need something to worry about, there are alot of other things. Good luck!

siwelu
Rating
I get like that some times also. I find myself thinking too deeply and get nervous about certain things. I have found that praying (on my knees) I can get really sleepy and fall asleep on my knees, it's kinda funny. And reflecting on things that I have or need to do helps. Try using the time memorizing things that would improve yourself (ie. presidents, constitutional amendments, countries, capital cities, multiplication table, lol! ) basically, anything to take your mind off of it. I've been afraid of having a heart attack or that an aneurism will burst in my head for years. It's unhealthy mentally and you got to take your mind off of stuff like that.

Katze
It is all in your head. Shift over to some more pleasant thoughts or get a pet to cuddle with.

Rating
What comforts you? Share this with someone you're intimately comfortable with, and fall asleep next to them. Best friends, mother, father, sibling, significant other- all would work. They will reassure you that you'll be fine.

If you've conditioned yourself to believe these irrational thoughts, you can get over the anxiety by exposing yourself to the situation over and over...and obviously over time you will be fine and the feelings will wane.

Since this issue is taking a toll on your life, please look into a psychiatric visit. Seems like you're a hypochondriac.

sofia
Rating
I used to think about that happening to me a lot as well.

The way I got over it was this:

I made sure my stomach was settled and that if not, I ate a dry piece of toast or took medicine.

When I went to lay down, I said a little mantra to calm myself down, such as, "I haven't gotten sick in my sleep before and there is no reason for it to happen tonight,".

Lastly, come to grips with the fact that if you do throw up in your sleep (I'm assuming the fear is that you will throw up in your sleep and choke on it, like Mama Cass of the Mamas & Papas), then when you "wake up", you'll be alright anyways.

But seriously, it's so, so rare...
Try to feel better.

the italian idol
Rating
you must have a phobia of sleeping unless you have real basis to fear falling sleep. phobia connotes irrational fear, so, if there is real basis for your fear then its not phobia.

Syaoran Li
try to buy a night light so you can sleep peacefully
hope you sleep better and sweet dreams to you hope you don't get nightmares if you ever you need anything ask me ok

McLovin
Rating
I learned this from a book about Led Zeppelin believe it or not. When one of the band members would get incredibly drunk, to the point where throwing up was inevitable, the road manager and/ or the roadies would roll them over on their sides to sleep. That way, in case they did throw up, they wouldn't choke.

So, I would suggest trying to sleep on your side, and thinking about how that will prevent anything from happening, even if you do get sick.

You might have insomnia. Go see a doctor for suggestions on how to resolve this troubling issue.

Haley Joe
Normally you wake up a few seconds or maybe minutes before you throw up, so just have a puke bowl next to your bed so when you wake up and you feel sick, grab the puke bowl and PUKE!
Just go to the doctor and explain everything to them...
And maybe take some sleeping pills?

messenger_of_the_void
Rating
I think it depends on why you have the fear? If you had an experience where you threw up at night before...and choked or something, then perhaps it's like a mild trauma. The way to get around that, and many similar problems (perhaps yours) is gradual desensitization.

A sleep aid might help you, or make you just dead tired, depending on how bad the fear is. I suggest melatonin, which is essentially a substance your brain produces when you're tired (light on the back of the retina halts it), or valerian, which is an herb. Those are both mild solutions that you don't need a prescription for.

You might also try a distraction of sorts... I like ocean waves to sleep by...you could get an mp3 of something you like and loop it on your computer while you sleep.

If worse comes to worse, do the obvious, and see a doctor. There are even sleep clinics if you really have some serious condition.

Molly
try not 2 think about it
u probably wont throw up in ur sleep escpecially if ur not sick
throwing up isnt even that bad u know

Mike J
You are experiencing stress at the time you lie down, when your mind finally has a chance to express itself wildly.
You need to learn to relax willfully. I am a relaxation therapist (aka massage therapist / personal trainer). I suggest that you get enough exercise to go to bed thoroughly tired. When your body is exhausted, your brain doesn't take liberties to use energy for anxiety. It only wants to rest from the day. Do that.

skrdude8389
You have emetophobia which means fear of vomiting. You should see a doctor so that you can finally get some rest.

conny
Rating
You poor thing. Pray to God and you can also listen to some soothing mood CD's. Like Rain Forest or Ocean sounds. It really helps me calm down.

Hope this was helpful

red
Rating
Try putting a bowl with water in it by your bed. If you throw up, the bowl is ready. And have a mental garage sale of the things you don't need in your head. Try thinking of a nice place to be...swimming in a warm lake, flying like a bird over trees at sunset, etc. Listen to calming music will help.

theoptimist814
Rating
Pray... that sounds cheesy but I sleep great when my husband prays for me, like when I wake up in a panic... you could try reading before bed to get your mind on something else... plus reading is tiring

THECREDITFILESCOINC
Go to the doctor and get some anxiety pills and take them as prescribed. You are a hypercondriack and you should get some help! Not sleeping will not stop the inevitable from happening. As my Grandmother use to say ... You can't run from death or anything else in this life. So why be afraid of something you don't know when it's coming! ... So take my advise! Go to the doctor and get you some anxiety pills.

Much Love
Peace and Happiness

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.134
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy