Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

I didnt sleep for 24 ours and something really freaky happened to me....why????
ok,so i stayed up the whole night,then went to work in the morning,came home at 4pm,slept for 1 hour,and woke up in a complete state crying,feeling terrified,wierd,like i was in a ''dream�...

Do you always sleep ?
on the same side off the bed & what is your favourite sleeping ...

Why aren't u sleeping?
I'm really bored right now and I'm freaking out cuz I just ssaw Death Note and I need 2 talk 2 someone. Why aren't u sleeping? I know this is a stupid question..... but if u don'...

What is the best cure for stress and depression ?

Additional Details
not that i am either ! but i know some one who is !...

How will i be sure not to do drugs in high school?
i'm going into high school and at my school, there are a lot of rich people and they can afford drugs, so there are a lot going around.
i don't really trust myself to make sure i don&#...

I dont no what to do SUICIDE or not?
Im really confused. MY thoughts are taking over and i want to end NOW! i Have A rope ready But i dont no. Im Considering Suicide Now. . And i dont want attention if most people are laughing at it ...

My mom died and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. Ways to cope???
Mom died 9/15/07. I know she is in a better place now. It was somewhat of a relief when she passed, she was suffering so much. Now life is kicking in again. Dad passed in 96. I have 3 brothers but I ...

What is this feeling of emptiness I've been experiencing for so long?
How do I fill this void?
Additional Details
Yea I aint hungry. I cut myself aswell. Mum took me to doctors but dunno what he woz on a ...

How do i stop my wife snoring without going to jail?

Scared i'll never be happy in this world/life?
Does anyone else feel that they can never be happy in this world or this life?????

I'm really unhappy with my life and i'm trying to get better, but nothing motivates me to try ...

Can anybody say something good?
I am really alone right now. I have nobody to talk to. I am so upset and depressed about being alone. I am in love with someone I see everyday and I can't take the feeling of rejection anymore. I...

Suicide. . .?
My best friend is seriously comtemplating suicide. He has been having suicidal thoughts for several months and have been confessing them to me, and he says that he is going to take his own life to ...

Are you afraid of dying?
i wonder who is going to cry for me when i die,aren't you?...

How do people deal with a fear of death?

"should I stop wearing diapers?

I want to die?
i want to die, i just hate myself. I used to self harm but now i stoped, but i still want to die, what can i do?
Additional Details
i ...

Have you ever sat alone and cried in despair?
Have you ever felt that deep feeling of hopelessness in the pit of your stiomach that just made you cry and cry and cry about how bad your life has turned out? when was the last time you did this?...

Can anyone give me a good reason to continue with life?
I used to think that life would be exciting and full of adventure. But now, I am completely disillusioned. I have few friends ( no close ones ), and worst of all, no lover. What's the use when ...

Can you read this?
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The ...

What's the way out of loneliness?
people keep telling me to go to groups but i never seem to meet anyone interesting there. only people who already have friends/family. or otherwise how do find contentment in solitute?...

Anonymous
How do you improve your memory naturally?
I mean, I have exams, I've got to learn a lottttttttt..... I'm stressed out with tension. I know tension doesn't help, I just don't have time and I need to learn a lot of notes.

ainsley m
Rating
I know that studying for the exams is stressful and there is never enough time but I have found that we think that theres never enough time.The work or homework everyday should be done with great concentration,this will help you to store this information,also it is a good idea to listen very attentively in class because 90% of remembered info is done through listening.Once it is time to study for exams your brain will just retrieve all this and it will make the lot of work seem so much less.So you see there is always time to study we are just unaware of.Happy learning!!!!

Nidz
Rating
eat lotsa almonds!

treknext
for your shortterm goals, you might want to use mnemonics...so if I'm taking an exam and I need to remember the steps involved to go from one process to another, I take the 1st letter of each process and memorize it...I memorized the 12 cranial nerves by taking the 1st letter of each nerve to get OOOTTAFAGVSH "[O]n [o]ld [O]lympus' [t]owering [t]op, [a] [F]inn [a]nd [G]erman [v]iewed [s]ome [h]ops"

as an intermediate goal, you can better prepare yourself to assimilate facts by staying in "learning mode"...learning mode helps you with learning new skills on a new job as well...I use SQ3R [S]urvey [Q]uestion [R]ead [R]eview [R]e-read...I might read the table of contents to prepare myself for what lies ahead...ask myself questions about what I think might answer questions like the professor might have in mind for facts for me to acquire...read the material...review what I just read, then reread it...

for your longterm goals, you can keep your mind active by trying to keep track of how many minutes have gone by, or guessing the time of day and then see how close you came after checking your watch...

keeping yourself a little stressed isn't bad as long as it doesn't keep you up all night with insomnia but, if you need to relax your mind, do a deep-breathing trick by breathing in--very deeply down to fill your chest and abdomen--like you're preparing for the church choir or to sing an aria...hold it to the count of 5, and then exhaling just as slowly and evenly but expelling all the air completely--at this point you're about as relaxed as relaxed gets (per count of 5)...repeat this up to 5 iterations at a time...you can relax your neck using a Yoga stretch called the "Plough"...

that oughtta help...you're at least as prepared as other students who aren't as conscientious and responsible...you'll do fine!!

Domino
Rating
I can tell you from personal experience that learning a few memory tricks will help you tremendously. If you go on-line to "Alibris.com" and search out memory books by either 'Jerry Lucas' or 'Harry Lorayne', in fact they have written one together called "The Memory Book"....It will help you to remember anything, easily...

For example, as a child I wanted to learn the Morse Code but it seemed to be too difficult at the time. It wasn't until recently I discovered this book and thought I'll give it a try, why? who knows, I guess just because I had that desire as a child. Anyway, with the tricks I learned, I tried their suggestions and by the next day I knew the code.

Give it a try, you will be impressed and amazed at what you can remember!

Bearded One
Rating
Relax... It's all in your mind and habits.
Try EVERY DAY writing things down on a 3x5...
Forign Language vocab, balistics reports, fractions equated from metric to standard.

Pull it out often and look it over when you are doing nothing.

Relax though. Life is too short.

um hello...
Rating
sudoku... or any games like it.

krystal w
well 1 relax 2 read carefully the ace the test

Kranthi K
i too have the same problem while i prepare for exams. but think if you feel tension, how can you write your exams in examination hall. so don't feel tension. first of all take a sleep time to time, get up early and start doing yoga for some time. so that you'll get off your laziness. then start studying........
and one more thing.........
be confident while you are entering into the examination hall.
confident makes everything possible.

babu
For memorizing something happend at sometime needs concentration and imagination of the thing that is to be remembered. If you can imagine something (picturisation), you will never forget it.
Try that. Good Luck.

KIYOHITO I
I totally know what you mean. What I do is make little study papers, like with questions on one side and the answers on the other. I bring those little papers with me everywhere and when I am just sitting around with nothing to do I review them by covering the answers and memorizing them.

Then I get friends to test me. And it all depends on you. You don't nessecarily have to follow all the guideliness everyone tells you. Just find out and adjust to what seems right and helpful to YOU. I study better at night XP.

Mephistopheles
Rating
Practice makes perfect and that is never more true than with memory. You should also try mnemonics, mind maps and chunking. There is plenty of good information on the internet to help you. The best piece of advice however is to get your self as fit as possible and understand the material you are reading. The fitter you are and the more you understand the easier it is to remember.

Loraine
Rating
listen to Mozart! classical music affects the brain!

honey
Abbreviate definitions.

lor598
Rating
my health teacher said that if you study the most important thing before you go to sleep you are most likely yo remeber it. I don't know if it works because i don't study that much, but that is my input.

oracle
Rating
You need to first relax for tension/stress impedes your memory which is something you do not want-drink some chamomille tea-relaxes just enough but not to point where you gt sleepy, Can also take Holy Basil-can get any Health Food store as you can the Chamomille-it improves memory and health in general and has no negative reactions with other meds and will relax so your brain functions at its highest capacity-its well worth checking out. Instead of just rereading text book and memorizing ***Concentrate on the main topics and then a summary of the information that relates to that topic. I will often do a OUtline where for each chapter I will make Headings out of the Main points Of INformation as for example I. The Test and then underneath a.b.c. d.etc will list the points that I need to remember about the topic in order of importance Then Go on to II or 2 and again a,b,c etc until I've covered the scope of the material that will be on the exam(test) then I will go back and study until I can comfortably give a summary of the important information for each topic. Your memory will begin kicking in already as you are doing the outline and then going back and restudying you are fine tuning your memory. This makes the material much easier to remember for you are only concentrating on the important words and eliminating unneeded words that will only clog your memory cells unnecessarily-you remember more by having less to remember.It will also improve your ability to pick out from all the information given in a text just the important info that explains the topic and leaving out the clutter words. This method ,because it makes it so much easier to study,to retain information will also boost your confidence which will relax you for you know that you really know what you need to know . Its a win situation and Good Luck!

Bindu
well,usually i read loudly!it helps me from two sides!!num 1.-when i read anything,my brain catch it for first time,num 2.-and again when my brain hear it(as i read loudly),it can recognise it!!& what topic i usually forgot,i just keep a note of that!!& i just look them anytime!!it is not necessary to remember everything;isn't it??

Kaiki
Rating
It really depends on what you're trying to learn. If mathematical formulas or lists of numbers are among your material, there is a trick to remembering them. Assign an object or person to each number, 0-9 and a task to each function. The mental images created through this method tend to 'adhere' a lot better than a string of numbers and symbols. As a simple example, if you're trying to remember 2 + 1 and assign your mother to number 2, a pancake to number 1, and swimming to addition, the image of your mother swimming in pancakes will be easier to remember. Yeah, it sounds weird and sort of dumb, but I promise you it works.

ilikebeinglost
I learned a brilliant memory technique from Derren Brown's book. One is called the 'loci' system, it's where you go on an imaginary tour of a familiar place and place each item from the list your memorasing at eah location. Another is the peg system for remembering numbers, you turn digits into sounds, sounds into words then combine the words together.

Google 'peg system' and 'loci system'.

Tyrone S.
while studying enhance the room with scents that you'll be able to use in the test room. what i mean by that is whatever scent you decide on it should not be so strong you can not tolerate it in your shirt pocket. using this technique you'll doing your studying while sniffing, using an aromatic diffuser and when it's test time put the scent on a tissue or hanky in your shirt pocket. Refer to the smell when you need to recall something.

Take Rosemary, internally and externally (essential oil with carrier).

Play instrumental music while studying. When you need to recall something hum that tune to the corresponding information.

Lady
Rating
Increasing blood flow increases oxygen to the brain by exercise. This is the #1 way to increase your brain function. Secondly is eating blueberries- they are the healthiest brain food you can eat, next to that would be eggs. Third thing you can do to memorize is take notes that are short and to the point. After this, there's nothing more you can do for a quick fix; as it sounds like this is what your needing. To countinue improving brain function, above is mandatory then next to that would be learning a new language.

pharmacy b
I agree with the divide & conquer theory........divide ur subject into 1 or 2 hour parts, read one of those parts once before u go to bed at night.......then go to bed early & get up early (preferrably at dawn when it's quiet) & read it again.......I've tried it a few times & it works for me........the brain works subconsciously when ur asleep so the info sticks easier & longer. oh, & forget the stress..........everytime u feel stressed just relax for 5 or 10 min & think of nothing or meditate. Believe me, 1 hour of relaxed studying is worth 2 hrs of stressed studying. Best of luck. Hope this helps.

carToon
Rating
Make sure you're alert and attentive before trying to memorize anything

Understand the material rather than merely memorizing, if it's the type that requires deeper comprehension

Look for larger patterns or ideas, and organize pieces of information into meaningful groups

Link the new bits of knowledge with what you already know. Place what you learn into context with the rest of your knowledge, looking for relationships between ideas

Engage your visual and auditory senses by using drawings, charts or music to aid memory

Use mnemonics ' devices such as formulas or rhymes that serve as memory aids. For example, use the acronym 'HOMES' to memorize the Great Lakes (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie and Superior)

Repeat and review what you've learned as many times as you can. Apply it or use it in conversation, as continual practice is the key to remembering things in the long term

queenofsiberia
Rating
Good nights sleep

Block out everything and concentrate on the exam.

Blueberries are said to improve memory..and fish...for its omega nutrients..Hope it helps..

What helps me is by repeating to yourself..what you need to remember...like a list of things on a paper and just read them over and over until they stick and then remember them without looking...they say I have a photographic memory...Good luck! or get a study buddy..to quiz you on stuff you need to know for the exams.

Kellita
if you like tea... try this!
boil water and then sprinkle it, while hot, with spearmint leaves.. let them in the water for about twenty minutes and then throw them away!
let the tea get cold..
drink three to four cups on a daily basis and you 'll see the difference...
good luck and best results on your exams!

no name girl
i used to take ginko biloba, but could never remember to take it.

Nuke
I'm a nuke in the Navy. This is the third toughest schooling you can get in the nation. We have absolutely zero multiple choice therefore everything is based on "understanding" (that means memorize everything if you want the points). So something that helps many of the students here is using a small portable white board and a dry erase marker and then sit down and copy what needs to be memorized out of the notes a few times and then continuosly trying to look as little as possible from the notes as you repeat it over and over. The repetition alone will help but also forcing yourself to remember will help also. Before you know it you'll have it.

Me, Too
Rating
I can remember this kind of tension. I always found that the more fun you have in studying a topic, the more you remember. So I always tried to study with a friend, then we would quiz each other on the answers. It was a challenge, because I didn't want my friend to surpass me. We both agreed it helped us both, even during those times when we would collapse in laughter over some goof.

Don't study for more than an hour before taking a few minutes off to relax and allow your mind to absorb what you have learned. Once you conquer that tension, you will be able to concentrate on your studies and all will be well.

Vince
Ah, exams. I hate those too, but here's some tips to better prepare for it.

1) Plan Ahead - Usually you know when will the exam be ahead of time and as soon as you receive the date plan your daily activities right away. This way, when you're studying, you won't be interrupted because you forgot that you have another thing to do or places to be on that same time.

2) Rest or be restless - A good night sleep helps a lot on studying. I would advice that you do your studies in the morning rather than in the afternoon or at night while your mind and body are still fresh.

3) Divide and Conquer - What you need to do is to analyze all the meterials that you need to absorb into your brain. Divide them into small portions since nobody really want to study for 8 hrs straight, that will only bring more stress and will leave you exhausted on the day of exam. Then you need to allocate each section into a 2hr study sessions, this way you're not pressured nor stressed and have the ability to absorb and understand what you're studying. After studying a section, test yourself to make sure that you don't just remember them, rather to make sure that you understand them. This is important.

That's all there is to it. Just keep in mind that if you prepare for it, it's really that simple. Honestly, it's all about priorities.

LADIDAH
1. do simple math problems fast.
-add subtract multiply divide, but dont get hard do all the elementary math. time yourself and do about 30 a day. in less than a minute.
2. read about 5 paragraphs also fast aloud. make sure you pronounce each word.
3. count syllables in a ten different sentences

do all three everyday, and each day youll improve. time yourself each day and you will see the the time go down, and you will get better.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy