Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

Is it okay to sleep late at night?
i mean sometimes really late, almost everyday...because im not a fast sleeper and sometimes i really busy just like everybody else and have a lot of tasks......

Attention Depression Sufferers...?
What do you do to rise up from a slump? I'm not depressed yet but I'm at the indifferent stage and I sleep way too much. I'm heading back into depression but I'm hoping I can ...

I'm taking a mental health day tomorrow?
Things aren't bad at school but I feel really depressed for some reason and I'm taking a day off tomorrow to catch up on my work and chill. What is something I can do tomorrow that will ...

What do you think of your Gp?
Do you ever feel like he/she gets fed up with you?
have you had any bad experiences because of this or do you feel like you could go to your GP for anything??

just wondering.

Should I be 100% honest with my new psychiatrist?
Okay, so I plan on telling him that I had a bad reaction to prozac, remeron and trazodon. I'm contemplating telling the guy or girl about the possiblity of bipolar disorder. I was once dragged ...

I have a friend that has obsessive nail chewing problems, what can i do to help her quit that habbit??

What do you think??
What do you think about people who commit suicide?? Do you think that it is selfish?? What would you do if someone you loved did it??...

Hiding self harm?
I'm feeling the need to self harm (which I haven't done in a while) but my girlfriend disapproves of me doing it.

On the basis that if I cut or burn myself she will spot it quite ...

Is it healthy to talk to yourself?

Does anyone suffer from Bi-Polar disorder or know anyone who does?
My boyfriend has Bi-Polar Disorder.
He has his highs & lows. One extreme to another.
Does anyone have a relative, friend or partner with this condition?...

How can i get a decent sleep without chemical or alternative medicine?
single,unemployed dad who just got broadband.(not reason for not sleeping though)...

Why do people call you emo if you cut your wrists?
I think its not right how ppl call other emo if they cut their wrists. Personally I think it makes those people feel bad when they hear that stuff....some of my friends that cut, agree with me. They ...

Why do people ridicule or feel uncomfortable with those in counselling?
One girl in my group of friends asked me what I've been up to lately and I told her I have my first counselling appointment this Monday (yesterday). This was Saturday night.

You ...

Can't Remember?
I've just come downstairs for something. Can anyone remember what it was for?...

I am a Christian. Having said that, do you feel that people who have any type of religion are nutz?
TO ATHIESTS ONLY...

What helps u when Ur feeling down?

Help I had a weird dream?
Okay I went back in time when i lived at home but i was still the age i am now and i had my children (weird) anyway my family parents and my children were being kept hostage. I went mad and dragged ...

What do you call the disorder in which grown people suddenly start to throw tantrums.?

What are some suggestions for coping with depression and anxiety?
Even while under a doctor's care?...

Sleeping & Dying????
I doubt whether many of us have 'died', & lived to tell the tale but when we go to sleep & drift off into oblivion, we are aware of nothing going on around us until the moment we ...

MONK
How do I help someone who is very negative to start thinking positive?
What if they resist my every attempt?
Additional Details
I feel like having a go at them and being 'firm' (Jeremy Kyle Style) but I don't think it would work or ness be fair.

Paulette
Rating
There are people who seem to be born with a negative/toxic outlook on life. Good Luck.

ocfan
what ever you do dont give up, becuase the person that is beign negative is looking for someone to be there to make him/her feel positive, and good about their life. like they need someone to keep reasuring them.

mrcricket1932
They are conditioned to think this way by unconscious triggers reflecting past emotions. Emotions which have been embedded within the minds storehouse. You can't help them until they decide to do something themselves. Then they will have to find some way to eliminate those triggers. Something I have helped some find their way out.

Camilla the First
Then you resort to the toe remedy!!

toolate
Rating
try changing it around get in their mood and make them go through it for a really long time and see if it gets to them or not!! sometimes reverse psychology does work if u use it enough!!

Bunny
Model positive behaviour. They need to change their outlook themself. You can only be an influence.

bluesun
tell them about others who have it worst. and please do not judge. listen more talk less. pray 4 them.

T B
I hope you find out because i am the same way.

]x[Jodie]x[
Tell them you're not going to give up on them, so they may as well start listening now. =)

Tell them that instead of thinking 'I can't do that its wrong' think 'Well, who says its wrong, and whats the worst that could happen?'

Tell them 'Cheer up, it may never happen'.

Tell them 'I'm here for you, you don't need to be going through your stuff alone!!'

Tell them...Well, I think you get the idea. Lol.

Oh and...

Give them Galaxy Chocolate, it always works.

Lord Fuznut
Video tape them being negativem then make them watch how awfully boring they sound. THis should shock them into seeing the light.

Jeff
Rating
Give them a gift.

"Full Catastrophe Living"

BY: Jon Kabat-Zinn PhD.

$6.90 on Amazon.com

R.N. - with Masters Degree.

CHRIS S
Rating
practice practice and more practice

dizzy
Give them lots of encouragement, attention and pay them lot's of compliments, but keep it up or you'll appear false and untrustworthy...this sort of person has usually been hurt in the past and needs a bit of TLC to bring them out of their shell.

tigger
why is this person so negative. Get to the source of why and work from there. You can not help some one that does not want to help themselves. This person may need profesional help

rollo1603
If they're resisting every attempt, maybe they don't want to be positive. They have to WANT to help themselves. It's quite possible that they may be fighting you just to fight you, or it may be that that's their nature and what they expect to be. If it's bothering you, let them know why it's bothering you. If you do continue to try and "cheer them up," be sure and separate their actions from who they are. It sounds like they're important to you, so be sure and let them know that. But when they complain, let them know that it makes you angry or sad or whatever feeling you're experiencing when you react to their negativity. Complaining is a behavior, let them know why you (and others!) dislike that behavior.

loulou30
Rating
"I'm so stupid. I should never have eaten that piece of cake. I'm hopeless to lose 10 pounds."

A comment such at this one is called "negative self-talk". It doesn't sound too great and it will not help you attain your goals. Let's try replaying this sentence so it sounds better:
"I wish I hadn't eaten that piece of cake. I realize now that I'm smart enough to make better desicions. I only hate because I was stressed out and I needed something to calm me down. This mistake was just part of my learning experience to lose 10 pounds."

This kind of talk will give you more motivation and it will not make you feel bitter about your actions. You can change your self-talk with awareness and practise. Below are some examples of negative talk, joined with positive alternatives:

Focusing only on the problems: We dwell on the problem, instead of the solution. Instead: Assume that most problems have a solution, and ask "How could I make this situation better?"

Expecting the Worse: "What if I gain 20 pounds?" "What if he doesn't like me?". Expecting the worse does not incourage you to reach anything. It only promotes anxiety. Instead, ask yourself a more positive thinking outcome. "What can I do to prevent myself from gaining 20 pounds?" "How can I make a good impresssion?"

Thinking in Absolutes: We exaggerate reality with words like "always," "never,"
and "everyone". "I will never be slim--I always eat too much." Instead: Replace the exaggerationg with more accurate words. "I often eat more than I need, but I can change that."
here are some sites i found,
DEALING WITH DARK THOUGHTS AND NEGATIVE THINKINGFOR HELP REDUCING NEGATIVE THINKING AND DEPRESSING THOUGHTS. There's something about the middle of the night - the hour of the wolf - that calls forth our ...
www.nvo.com/isleepless/pagetwothoughts... - 142k - Cached - Similar pages

How to Squash Negative Thought PatternsMerely thinking the negative thought should rapidly bring up the positive thought. If you’ve done this correctly, you won’t be able to help it. ...
www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/how-... - 45k - Cached - Similar pages

Stop Negative Thinking / Thoughts | Hypnosis Downloads.comNegative thinking can be useful to help assess the possible pitfalls in a potential plan of action, but you need to be able to turn it on and off at will. ...
www.hypnosisdownloads.com/downloads/se... - 23k - Cached - Similar pages
hope you find the help you need...loux

Mr. Peachy®
You can't. Simple. They have to want to change. It's just like an alcoholic. You're not going to make them stop wanting to drink. They have to realize their destructive behavior is not getting them where they want to go. Then when they reach out for help, you might have a chance at helping them. Otherwise, forget it.

bumbleboi
You should encourage them to look closely at how they view the world and get the idea across that this an active choice only they can change, but you are prepared to help them change. If they persist maybe you have to accept they enjoy being miserable, sad as it may seem some people do!

CHRIS
Rating
Method. Do it by example, not by words. You can cancel any negative thought from someone else by the way you respond. Actions speak louder than words. It is hard to argue with someone who is doing something positive. Fewer words and more positive actions. Do it by example. Be an example of what you want to see happening with this person. The negative thing is just a thought, after all, and actions usually can override thoughts. Use any action you can to cancel the negative thoughts as they arise. I know this all sounds very superficial, but people frankly get all bogged down in talking and thinking in negative ways and the only way to rock their world (?) is to bombard them with positive choices, options and actions. - C.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, September 20, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy