Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

How will i be sure not to do drugs in high school?
i'm going into high school and at my school, there are a lot of rich people and they can afford drugs, so there are a lot going around.
i don't really trust myself to make sure i don&#...

I dont no what to do SUICIDE or not?
Im really confused. MY thoughts are taking over and i want to end NOW! i Have A rope ready But i dont no. Im Considering Suicide Now. . And i dont want attention if most people are laughing at it ...

My mom died and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. Ways to cope???
Mom died 9/15/07. I know she is in a better place now. It was somewhat of a relief when she passed, she was suffering so much. Now life is kicking in again. Dad passed in 96. I have 3 brothers but I ...

What is this feeling of emptiness I've been experiencing for so long?
How do I fill this void?
Additional Details
Yea I aint hungry. I cut myself aswell. Mum took me to doctors but dunno what he woz on a ...

How do i stop my wife snoring without going to jail?

Scared i'll never be happy in this world/life?
Does anyone else feel that they can never be happy in this world or this life?????

I'm really unhappy with my life and i'm trying to get better, but nothing motivates me to try ...

Can anybody say something good?
I am really alone right now. I have nobody to talk to. I am so upset and depressed about being alone. I am in love with someone I see everyday and I can't take the feeling of rejection anymore. I...

Suicide. . .?
My best friend is seriously comtemplating suicide. He has been having suicidal thoughts for several months and have been confessing them to me, and he says that he is going to take his own life to ...

Are you afraid of dying?
i wonder who is going to cry for me when i die,aren't you?...

How do people deal with a fear of death?

"should I stop wearing diapers?

I want to die?
i want to die, i just hate myself. I used to self harm but now i stoped, but i still want to die, what can i do?
Additional Details
i ...

Have you ever sat alone and cried in despair?
Have you ever felt that deep feeling of hopelessness in the pit of your stiomach that just made you cry and cry and cry about how bad your life has turned out? when was the last time you did this?...

Can anyone give me a good reason to continue with life?
I used to think that life would be exciting and full of adventure. But now, I am completely disillusioned. I have few friends ( no close ones ), and worst of all, no lover. What's the use when ...

Can you read this?
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The ...

What's the way out of loneliness?
people keep telling me to go to groups but i never seem to meet anyone interesting there. only people who already have friends/family. or otherwise how do find contentment in solitute?...

Why does depression have a stigma attached .....?
depression can affect all walks of life , rich and poor people , but why do people frown upon anti-depressants ?? I have read a few answers over time here in answers and they were all really negative ...

Give me a reason to live?
I'm probably being a pain in the ***. I just don't know what to do. My family, friends, school... all meaningless, so not supportive. I can't find happiness. Been depressed for years ...

I need a good reason to be alive?
I've been incredibly depressed as of late; I cry daily for hours on end. My girlfriend dumped me; I suffered a back injury which squelched any chance that I had of playing baseball in college; ...

I have most things?
I have my own place, car and a job, not much money and sometimes no money, no girlfriend and no out life, like some people but i cant stop thinking about killing myself and ending this **** life, i ...

felicialittleprinces...
Has anyone gotten over panic attacks and social anxiety?
I was wondering if anyone gotten over these problems with out having to take medication??
Additional Details
I can't believe how big this question is, I want to think everyone who answer this question. I have just started to have panic attacks, but there not that bad usually i can control them. I just can't control well when i'm in a public place, thats when i fall apart~~ But, like i said i wish everyone else who is going tho the same thing as me, luck!!! I know it's hard getting over this problem, we just have to learn to fight off our brains.. lol

vim
Hi Felicia,
Yes you can, and
it will take a lot of
will power.
This is how I approached it:
'What is the worst thing that
can happen if I get this attack?

OK, I will make a fool of myself?
Then I though, more than likely
not, people will help.

OK, I'll die of a heart attack.
So, if it is my time, then it is
my time, but more than
likely it is not, so, again,
somebody will call 911
and I'll be OK.

And so on and on, imagining
the most amazing situations,
and the end result, let it be what
it may.

And having lost the fear of the
fear itself, it all went away!

It works, I've helped family and
friends with this, and it has helped
them as well.

In some cases, a bit of help with
meds is necessary, but I try to
do with as little meds as possible.

So, go for it, after all,
what if the worst thing that can happen?

starla_c
Not without my meds. Most anxiety disorders are cause by a chemical imbalance in your brain. Most sufferers have to take medications to put the balance back into system.

If you do try it without meds, good for you. However, recognize that most people physically can not do it without the meds and if you still can't get over the anxiety, please take the meds. You will be very happy you did. There is life out there!!

tonyintoronto@rogers.com
PTSD is why I take Zoloft. If it were not for Zoloft, I would have hung myself years ago from depression.

same as above
Rating
I suffer from both and unfortunately I have to take meds because both of mine are severe.

terry
Rating
I used to have TERIBLE ATTACKS that eventually caused HEART ATTACK..PLEASE do not wait see A Doctor HE will prescribe medication..I am now on" CLONAZEPAM "and they are a GREAT HELP for me.

christa1017
Rating
yea & i use to take Paxil it helped & after awhile i decieded that I can cope with the my life & the situation so i stop taking it but I still have some in the bottle @ home good luck (:

Keith B
my wife has used hypnosis to some degree but its the medication that really helped

carrierox2010
Rating
How i get over pannic attacks is i just try and go on just as i was before the pannic attack started and just try to ignore it and move on.... sometimes that dont work and i just relax and tell myself everything will be ok.... I try and talk to someone such as my mom or 1 of my friends when a pannic attack happens....... I just started having them 2 and they are horrible well I hope everything works out for you!

Classy Granny
I never had social anxiety as I am a very outgoing female. But Panic attacks are another thing. I was on Adivan for years and then all of a sudden it started making me feel drugged. Later I'd find out from others that my behavior was unlike me while I was under the influence. I dumped the pills and now just ride it out.
Smoking a cigarette helps

S.
Well,i did have three or four panic attacks in the past few months.The first two times i ended at ER because i didn't knew and I never had before.I am not taking any medications for it but i find a website where they tell you what you can do to during a panick attack.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/panic_attacks/article_em.htm

LilahFairy
Rating
Breathing exercises each day to prevent one from coming. If you know a head of time when you are about to panic, do the breathing and focus on something else.

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities/anxiety/anxieties/1panic/step4.htm

meds sometimes do work but you have to make them work. it takes time but take it slow!

Kellkat
Rating
i used to take medicines for them and it worked pretty good and then i got off of them and i had to get back on them again...so the answer for me is no i guess

TomStoneGLT
There is a new and very simple and powerful way to do this. It is to use a technique called the CORE technique. CORE stands for Center Of Remaining Energy and although it is simple, most people don't know anything about it. I have seen people with long term anxiety and panic attacks resolve them completely by simply learning and using this technique. The technique is explained and demonstrated in detail in an audio CD set called the 12 Core Dynamics of Common Problems - available at http://www.wavemakercoaching.com/IHD/products_videos.html.

Basically it works like this - We are all heavily conditioned to avoid feeling things fully. That conditioining happens in early childhood. We have emotionally overwhelming experiences and as a result make a feeling level decision (before we have words to describe it) that we are just going to try to not feel things so much so that we don't get overwhelmed by them. Then we begin to develop strategies for avoiding feeling anything that is intense that might overwhelm us.

The problem with this is that when we do have intense emotional experiences, we tend to not complete them and so most people are walking around with lots of "emotional baggage" which really means that they have the energy of old emotions still held in their body and they are avoiding feeling them out of the habit of resisting feeling things fully as described above.

A great many cases of anxiety are very likely due to this phenomenon. We tend to go out to the edges of the feeling in order to avoid it and staying out at the "edges" of the feeling is what the expeirence of anxiety actually is in many cases. So the answer is to learn how to do the opposite of what we are conditioned to do. It is necessary to learn how to go right into the center of the most intense part of the energy of the old imcomplete emotional experiences and feel the essence of the experience so thoroughly that there is nothing left to feel. When the old incomplete emotional experience is completed, then there is no anxiety because there is no energy of the unresolved emotion left in the body and nothing incomplete to stay out at the edges of. This may sound difficult but it is actually quite easy to learn and to do and I was amazed at how quickly and easily old emotional pain just dissapears. It is not surpressing the experience but rather completing it. This is a very important and significant distinction.

To the two or three year old inside of us, this feeling into the core of the energy of the feeling thing doesn't sound like such a great idea. It sounds scary. But that's the voice of our two or three year old, who has been dictating the degree to which we allow ourselves to feel things, for most people, all of our lives. But as an adult we have enormous unused and untapped ability to feel things. We are just not used to using it because of our conditioning.

I have seem people be able to wean themselves off of anti-anxiety medications by using this technique even for a short time. If you want someone to help you learn and use this technique, there is a directory of people trained to do this at http://www.wavemakercoaching.com/findcoach.html.

I was sharing this technique with someone this week who was in the process of stopping smoking. After I helped her learn it she said - "It's so simple!" And it is, but very few people know how to do this. It is the most powerful way to come out of the grip of emotion that I have ever found and it is a great way to resolve the underlying causes of anxiety in many cases.

Good luck and many blessings

Anne R
Rating
I used to take medication but I don't right now, for me the most important thing is to keep my blood sugar in check (not too many carbohydrates or too much sugar, lots of healthy proteins). If I haven't eaten or I've eaten poorly then I am much more likely to have a panic attack. Other than that I try not to procrastinate about things I have to do so that I don't have additional stress, and I leave early for appointments, etc. so that I feel everything's under control and taken care of. There are also herbal remedies like Bach's Rescue Remedy that can be helpful sometimes.

john p
medication and prayer might help a lot.

StéphanDeGlasgow
Rating
I got over it with meditation (not medication) and Tai chi.
But anything that build confidence (like martial art) should do the trick.
I think it's more effective than pills or shrinks, and more fun !

Bare Bear
Rating
I think it's all mental and it builds on itself with positive feedback. The more you let yourself panic, the more you panic. I don't know how to solve it. I think I would panic more if the crowd was naked! I would recommend not taking drugs because then you are just suppressing your true self instead of dealing with the source of the issue. Maybe part of the underwear/naked trick is to make sure you feel superior to the audience.

Lady Alma of Avalon Grailguard
Fear is part of our lives, in my case al sorts of anxiety's rear their ugly heads in my mind day after day. Some genuine,: Environment, Threat of war and such. Most of them trivial and not worth talking about.!!! My method.... Bom on the floor, tailr position breathing deep and easy.... Think happy thoughts

wrepete1951
Mine are controlled, for the most part, by medications, but I have heard that hypnosis can help. Been tempted to try it myself. Type in Wendi Friesen on Google. She's supposed to be very good. Sorry, don't know the cost.

Answerer
Rating
No medication just meditation. In the end, the simplest way to put it is simply that you stop giving a you know what, and you're only worried about your own thoughts. Deep breathing and not caring, simply focusing on your own beliefs and wants, as though celebrities do. They can't be concerned with what everyone thinks. It's a confidence thing. It's not that you're truly better than everyone else, but it's that you believe that your thoughts are more important than theirs. Which is true. So that's something to be thought about.

L
I am doing really well, but meds help so much. I didn't wanna take them, but i figured it was better than living that way. I wish I woulda decided to start taking them way before i did

me
No one I know and even with drugs & therapy, they still happen sometimes.

patclem2
I was what you call "house bound" for eight years. My doctor gave me a very mild tranquilizer so that I could take it as needed. He also taught me breathing exercises . I was off the medication in a year, and now twenty years later, I am episode free. But a lot of my problem was I was married to an abusive husband, which I also got rid of.

thewanderer862006
Felicia, you have to take control! When I was 18 (2 years ago) I kept having panic attacks that would have me going to the hospital many times a month making a fool of myself. Once, I even called the ambulance because I thought I was dying. One day I decided that I was being a ********* for having anxiety attacks and it just stopped. Then I laughed at all the dumb things I did, like going to the hospital thinking that I was going to die, or having to pay the damn hospital for all those visits I made.

robyn o
Rating
I would have them really bad right after Desert Storm /Desert Shield, it took years and dutch courage to get past that. Then 9/11 happened and they started again, fortunately by then I was in marital counseling with my soon to be ex-husband. The counselor couldn't fix the marriage (for the best anyway) but he did help by prescribing a med and then I got into counseling at the local VA. Definitely easier than the first time and I think my 2nd bout was the worst. You don't have to stay on the med but it helps till the counseling kicks in. Many people attempt to self medicate with alcohol or street drugs when they have an emotional problem. There is nothing wrong with medication if used
under supervision.

Honeybee
Yes, I have had these concerns and I know of plenty of other people who have also. A psychologist told me to look at it this way: When I think that something bad or embarassing may happen, each time I say "what if...?" (like, what if I say something stupid in a group and everyone laughs at me?), I should add a positive "well, then...", such as -- "well then, I'll just laugh along with them and it'll be forgotten, and I'll keep in mind that everyone has been in this situation before". If I say, "what if I'm driving on a wet road and I slide?", I counter with, "well, then, I'm going to be extra careful, and be sure to drive the speed limit; people can pass me all they want". I hope this type of approach helps for you -- it requires a lot of practice and "self-talk" before it starts coming naturally. The best to you!

Genie G
I have. I was diagnosed with social anxiety and severe panic disorder several years ago, and had bad experiences with the meds they prescribe for them. Instead I took up yoga and regular exercise, and that's stopped my panic attacks almost completely. I think yoga helped me the most... just learning about the mind-body connection. Learning to "listen" to myself, notice when I had my jaw clenched, my shoulders tight, or when my breathing was starting to become irregular. Every now and then I'll still feel an attack coming on, and I feel like I'm smothering and need to gasp, but I make a conscious effort not to change my breathing, and the feeling subsides on its own, now. One thing I learned recently is that alcohol is a guaranteed trigger for my panic attacks. Even after having them under control for several years, if I drink one night, then the day after I'll have really bad panic attacks all day. You might want to watch out for that. My social anxiety still bothers me a little bit, but I just take a deep breath and plunge in. The panic attacks were the horrible part, for me. I can deal with the social anxiety, now. It's not as bad as it used to be. Good luck! Email me if you need to talk with someone who understands! :)

lucasthis
Yes, I just started to get over them without taking medicine after a lifelong problem of about 35 years of it. I just started doing mind over matter and telling myself I can control this - this is just my mind trying to make me feel nuts and I can over come this. I actually tell myself when I'm having these to actually shut the F up. It works-believe me-I tried everything. Also, reduce the intake of alcohol. As I got older the panic attacks got worse and so did the anxiety if I drank. 10 times worse. I know it can help to reduce the feelings but the next day its worse. Also, exercise helps- just walking does it for me. Get out of the situation and make yourself move. Try it it works. I feel for you, its a very scary thing to have. I know!!!!

Ashleigh
Rating
I have! But it was tough.

I've been struggling with it for nine years, and just last year finally went to a counselor about it. She gave me lots of information about it, and just getting to know the disorder helped a ton. She also gave me workbooks, and little exercises to try. You have to fight it every step of the way. You have to challenge your fear. If anything makes you nervous you have to do it. You start with little things, and work your way up.

The tough part comes in because it never really goes away. You have to keep challenging it every day. Every time you let it win, it gets a little bit stronger, but every time YOU win, YOU get a little bit stronger, and little by little it gets a little bit easier.

I suggest a counselor, they'll have lots of things for you to try, and they'll be able to mold a plan of attack that's right for you.

It is totally possible to get over it without the drugs.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.144
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy