Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

School is about to start and I'm extremely shy, how can i become more social?
I'm about to be a sophomore, when I was a freshman I had planned to make more friends and be more social. Well that backfired and I became quieter than I had ever been.

Now sophomore ...

Dear English people....?
.....do you like our pizza? Or you prefer english porridge??...

Omg.i am so scared?
of course as you know it is valentines day. some creep keeps messaging me saying that im his and no body else can ever have me. i dont recognize the name and i am so freaked. he keeps telling me im ...

Worst day of my life need help?
Ive had such a crappy day, does anybody have any funny videos that they know of to cheer me up

Thanks in ...

Is low self esstem fixable?
my dad and me were arguing if someone's low self esstem is fixable.but I say it's only fixable if you change whats you think is wrong with yourself....

I feel suicidal most of the time what do i do?
Most of my stress is caused by my parents. thay have no fashion senses.they always insist on me wearing religous clothes and stuff. my mom is always screaming at me. school also causes me some stress....

My friend is bulimic, cuts herself, and attempted suicide but she won't let me help her?
whenever i try to help, she says that i do not understand and she talks to another friend about it. i do not get WHY she doesn't want to talk to me... it makes me so mad that i try to help her ...

Why can't I be happy?
I am always so upset by things. Things people say, things people do. I don't want to feel this way. I just do. Please don't say I need meds. I don't want meds. Have been in ...

Am i depressed or just selfish?
Im nearly 23 and at the moment I feel nothing is going right for me even though my problems are minor compared to other peoples. I’ve had three jobs this year and I’ve been treated badly in all ...

Not to be morbid but did u ever try to comit suicide?

A cure for low self esteem?
I feel so ugly every time I look in the mirror. It's rare that I find myself pretty or attractive. My friends tell me I'm beautiful, but I can never believe them because all I see is my ...

How many of you suffer from either anxiety, depression or panic attacks?

Am I Normal?
I don't have much friends and hate socialize, lack and poor communications....Plezze help...;-<...

My daughter hardly eats. Any help how to tackle this?
My daughter 12 years has been eating less and less for the last 6 months. She is now well underweight. We have tried reasoning, shouting, taking her to the doctors but to no avail. I think the lack ...

I was wondering?
i was wondering (and please dont say no, your strange or your stupid) but ever since i was little iv had a fear of sleeping at night so i sleep during the day or i stay up for days any 1 else have ...

Self Harming?
i cut myself, not bad, just bad enough to leave a nasty scar, and i cant take lieing to everyone who asks me where they come from, is their any way for me to get help with this...i also think i have ...

Please help me.I feel that nobody loves me and my friends whom I loved the most they all decieved me.Iwant 2?
make new friends but I don't know how to make friends.And for this my grades are falling down.If anyone want to be my friend please leave u'r contact no or email ...

Do i have anxiety?? please help, please please please i really need help?
I think i have anxiety. I am always scared that something bad will happen to my mom dad or brother. I am scared that my mom will always get into a car accident or my brotehr will get kidnapped. ...

Is it normal for a 15 year old boy to have 20 pairs of shoes.?

I can't take this anymore.?
Me and my ex girlfriend broke up about a month ago and she has a new boyfriend. When she told me this I didn't care. I saw them together a week ago and since then I have been feeling worse and ...

Marissa
Does cutting yourself really work?
im not going to, but one of my friends might soon. and i need some good reasons to get her not to. i dont think it would...
Additional Details
no. shes wont kill herself. i wont let her. but just to 'get rid of pain' does it work?

SAINT G
Rating
does cutting really work?

WTF!

No, cutting is an immature cry for attention. it hurts, looks lame, and can give infections.

If your friend wants attention, they should use youtube.

leave the cutting alone, it is for tards. unless they identify with idiots I would avoid it, and them if they go ahead with it.

TrainerMan
Cutting doesn't get rid of the pain, it only releases endorphins that take your mind off of the pain. It's not even a band-aid. It is a problem that only compounds and compounds either into substance abuse or suicide. Your friend needs to talk to and adult who can help, such as a school counselor, clergy, parent, etc. that they can trust.

deborah s
people who cut themselves are usually poisoning the body in some way eg smoking ,street drugs ,prescription drugs,alcohol whatever the substance is the body is driving a basic urge to free itself from the perceived poison .of course the cutting wont work .to overcome these urges free your body from substance abuse and feed it with good food ,vitamin tonics ,fresh air,and exercise

Goodgrief
It only helps in their minds. It is not a good thing to start doing. Can become addictive as doing drugs might want to let her parents know because that might mean she really need some help. She might be upset with you and she might not want to be your friend anymore but this is a life we are talking about and is more important to get her some help then be selfish and not tell her parents. She will get over it eventually but if not then she would lose a very good friend who obvious cares a lot about her.

darkainjul
work for what? it does not make you feel better but does make you bleed. it depends on what your reason for doing it is.

zoe
Cutting, as you know, can be very dangerous. It is a major sign of a problem. Your friend needs to seek advice from a counselor or a psychiatrist asap.

a-non flip
it doesn't get rid of anything it just bottles everything up in the pit of your stomach which makes you feel worse

Jester
Rating
i used to think so, but i got help and know i know there are better ways to release my anger and such then cutting. Now all I have are the scars to remind me of how stupid i was as a kid

Audrina
i hope u dont mea suicide. u should tell a school counselor or another close friend of her's - or even someones parents. nothing is worth losing ur life over!!

tom
Rating
no it doesn't . do your friend a favor and get her some mental help. alot of people go through this type of mental condition and there are ways to treat it (therapy, medication etc)

Mz Bree
Rating
Cutting doesn't do anything but cause scars and pain. I used to be a cutter myself for about 3 years and now when I look at the scars I remember the pain and realize cutting only caused more. When you think about it, your only cutting because your too afraid to commit suidice. If you really wanted "the pain to be gone" you'd push harder and wouldn't stop til you were dead. You wouldn't keep cutting just to cut. Its proving to yourself that you don't really want to die and it stupid. Tell your friend to try something else. Cry, write, scream, etc. If you take all that emotional and put that energy into something else possibly your friend would feel better. Be there for him/her during this time. Let them take your anger out on you be there to comfort and console. That's all you really can do.

miyazaki75
Rating
Cutting has to do with expression of anger, hurt, shame, frustration. Cutting may be a type of "waking up" from a sense of numbness after a traumatic event. It provides a temporary relief from a terrible feeling. Or she may want to do it because it is seen as taboo or forbidden.

AdamKadmon
It doesn't work "to get rid of the pain."

It works to "de-stress." That is, to relax. Sounds odd, doesn't it? Cutting yourself, harming yourself, making yourself HURT to feel better? But, by cutting, your actually letting the STRESS out, kind of like some people lean over and shake out their arms and back and stand up feeling better. THIS WON'T WORK FOR A CUTTER. They need the drama and pain to let go of the stress. Why? Think of it like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) or something like that, where they were perhaps traumatized in an accident or molested or perhaps they just got used to leading a very stressful life as a child, never knowing if their parent(s) would come home in a good mood, etc.

Now they have stress constantly, not from something necessarily in their lives, but from the events that happened BEFORE when they were younger or in years past. They're traumatized. So, they need to shake off the stress and cutting is they way to let go.

janie a
in some people it does relieve pain. it releases some chemical in your brain to feel better. when i do it it feels better. if she knows the consequences in doing it just let her. its her own descion and i know you are trying to help her but by telling her no, shes just going to do it anyway

amcol_soc07
i was a cutter for a few months and very few people knew...personally it did help me and luckily i stopped on my own and didnt need to go get professional help. but it depends on the person and situations. i would suggest ur friend not do it, im going to have to live with all the scars from it which is a constant reminder of what i've done...so encourage her not too. some reasons are it causes scars, if they cut deep enough, it can cause nerve damage, and also infection...so along with the physical reasons not too, there are also the emotional and pysicological reasons...good luck and your'e a true friend

Justme
This is not good at all. Your friend will really hurt herself or himself. They need some counseling if they feel this badly.

jrocks42069
Rating
no it dont my girlfriend did this and she almost died you could be laying there asleep 1 night and the scab rips open and then u bleed to death please dont let her do this to her self or him

I don't recommend to cut your self because you´ll get scars and if you get really bad...to the point of suicide

when I'm angry or something that makes me feel rage i think of it until i need to do do something the I punch a bag or run super fast until i get tired in order to get rid of my pain frustration and rage or u could try writing those things. That´s what i do

groggro
Rating
Ya know....SOME peeps win the lottery...& there are MANY more who find happieness LATE in life,,there is ALWAYS a chance....remind them of that!

Ctherapy
Well first off the scars are hideous there is a girl at work who used to do it to herself when she was younger. She needs to get help for her depression why don't you suggest taking her to a therapist! Be a good friend and help her through this step by step.

The First Dragon
Cutting is reported to give a brief moment of relief from mental pain. But if she is actually planning it, it probably won't even do that. She is in serious emotional pain and needs help; tell her parents.
My daughter used to cut, and she was helped by counseling and, surprisingly to me, by friends who made her promise not to do it anymore.

Pseudo Obscure
Rating
It momentarily distracts you from your emotional pain .

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.054
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, October 25, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy