Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

How can a human stop thinking about death and suicide everyday?
How to avoid thinking that way, what to do,...

I'm so happy I need bringing down, can you depress me otherwise I'll burst?
I can't even talk about it because it will make me even happier.
Additional Details
Thank you everyone.
P...

What if you're so tired and exhausted and want it all to stop!? Isn't this an acceptable reason for suicide?

Is it ok to always want to be the center of attention no matter what?
because i feel like i have to be the center of attention and if im not i just feel out of place. i wanna be the craziest loudest person in the room....

What is the best way of dealing with stress?
finding it really hard concentrating because i have just started a new job - things are really getting to me - read about fasting and meditation - anyone have any ideas ??...

What is wrong with me? I cant stop crying...?
I have felt depressed / 'down' for 6 years, ever since i got into a bad relationship with a 'bad boy' when i was 16. He used to threaten me, push me around, he almost raped me..<...

What is the secret to letting go and really being calm?

Do you ever feel like just breaking down and crying?
Do you ever just want to cry? Is there a reason or do you just feel that way? Sometimes I just feel like i need to, but i cant. I want to sometimes when im alone because sometimes i think it would ...

What's suicide?
Hi,guys!Does anybody knows what's suicide?If you have any information or links for that topic please sand me.Thanks!!!...

POLL: How do you deal with stress in your life ?
Thank you....

Does my wife suffer from some kind of mental affliction?
Long story short. happy loving couple get married. All is well. 6 years later after 2 beutiful kids wife starts to change. Becomes less loving and affectionate. Surrounded by loving husband, parents, ...

OK, I admit it: I'm bored. Bored with life. Bored of being alone and bored of being broke.?
I'm a loner, but I've always been able to keep myself occupied/distracted, with music, books, films, and recently, keeping fit. These days I'm feeling restless in the evening, less ...

Has anyone ever quit smoking weed? has your life changed for the better?
Sometimes I think smoking weed has made me kinda lazy....

I think i need professional help for depression, but im to scared to tell anyone?
Well. im to scared to even tell my friends, boyfriend, sister, or parents. i don't know why... :( i cut myself sometimes but then i hide them. (thinking someone will notice and talk to me but ...

What is this called? HELP!!!?
Sometimes I feel like I want to die and I feel worthless. Some days I feel just fine. On the days I feel horrible its really bad. I've been on anti depressants and anxiety meds. What's ...

HELP! AH! SUICIDeE????
ok. thank you for trying to help me.
Well I am a middle school student. I have alot going on in my life.
My mom had cancer.
My brother insults me on a 24/7 hour basis.
At school ...

What should you do after youve done everything in life?
and you have no family N when you try to help everyone to make good of your life but people think your wacko N dont like you?...

What is a good way to get over being crabby?
I just woke up feeling a little crabby this am. I took a muscle relaxer last night and I have cramps. I have A LOT to do this morning so I need to get going.
Additional Details
I am ...

What do you do when You just cant stand life no more?
what do you do when your so fed up, stuck in a rut, your life is falling apart, and all that keeps you going is ...

How can I stop my suicidal thoughts?
I'm trying to be happy, but lately i've been really sad

Help!!
Additional Details
I'm 17 and i think i have HIV(i'm too scared to get tested) and this is ...

Tiamat
Does anyone really believe counselling helps get over depression?
I have just been diagnosed with depression and got medication and counselling, but i dont want to sit and talk with a total stranger of my problems. I dont even want to take the drugs really! does anyone else feel like this or has gone through this? I feel frightened and upset to even admit i am ill let alone have the confidence to speak about it. Can anyone help me?

emread2002
Rating
Counselling and psychotherapy works for some and not others. It didn't work for me and I tried several (it is important to find someone that's right for you and reject the ones that don't work)and in the same way anti-depressants help many but can fail to make a dent in others (such as in my case). The important thing is to find a better way to cope and/or make changes and move forward. Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees and need a third party to bounce off or to help clarify what's important and what your possible priorities might be. In that sense you have to be eclectic & try lots of things that may or may not work for you. For instance I found a very short spell with an NLP therapist helped to kick start myself in another direction whereas previous cognitive or behavioural based therapists didn't but that's just me. You may find talking to an online counsellor helps (if just initially) or you may just find writing your thoughts down privately or online also helps to sort out your feelings.You have to try things in order to find out if they work and if they don't then you are either not ready or you can cross it off the list and try something else.You will only try things if and when you want to change. My only advise is to not isolate yourself (which is easily done). You are certainly not alone.

spirit of radio
The drugs on their own won't cure you; they provide an opportunity to stop feeling so down that you are immobilised and you can go on from there and repair your life. I am on Citalopram at the moment and have tried various other anti depressants, even Seroxat which is now regarded as having great potential to lead to suicide. You must use the medication in combination with taking steps to heal yourself - counselling may work for you. Forget they are strangers - you are free to talk about you and only you and your problems and they will listen no matter what. They may be able to help, they didn't help me at all I must admit, but I know some people have good results with them but it has taken months. You WILL get over this. Find out what helps YOU best.

dornalune
initially I felt as you did - I wasn't going to air my innermost thoughts to a complete stranger but hooking up with the right therapist for my issues saved my life... I was in a sad place and knew I needed help so I had a long conversation with myself and decided to approach therapy with an open mind... the pros of getting helped outweighed the discomfort I felt in sharing my "stuff"... I lucked out... she was only a stranger for the first few minutes... her acceptance of me as whole person with issues came through even in the first session and with her support and guidance, I came through on the other side stronger and better than before... without medication ... God bless you, CS

bigsexy8232
YES IT REALLY HELPS-
MY MOM PASSED AWAY SUDDENLY OF A HEART ATTACK, I TOOK HER DEATH REALLY HARD, AFTER MY MOM DIED MY DAD DID'NT CARE TO LIVE ANYMORE BECAUSED HE MISSED HER SO MUCH HE STOPPED EATING, SMOKED MORE THAN 2 PACKS OF CIG A DAY AND STOPPED HIS MEDICATION 6 MONTHS FROM THE DATE THAT WE BARRIED MY MOM MY DAD PASSED AWAY- IT WAS WAY TO MUCH FOR ME TO HANDLE AND I AM ONLY 29 YEARS OLD-
I WENT TO COUNSELING AND I TOOK PROZAC AND TRAZADONE, I GOT TO TALK MY FEELINGS OUT & CRY & IT REALLY HELPED IT TOOK ABOUT 1 YEAR BUT IT WAS WORTH ALL MY TIME

Geri
Rating
Don't be frightened of counselling....it has been my saviour. My life has turned around because of it. Miracles don't happen overnight, but stick with it and you will feel better. I know you will.

X-krazee-X
Rating
talkin to sumone ya dont know about all ya problems really can help! i had counselling when i was at school n it helped me alot, i was ded against it at first n dint wana open up but u realise that talkin to a stranger is das best way to sort things out, they give ya advice n **** on wat u can do to help yaself. jus go for it, you wont regret it!

Compassionate
Rating
i had counselling to help overcome my depression, it really helped, at first i really didnt want to talk to anyone about how i was feeling but in the end i did and it really helped. as for medication i didnt take any for my depression so i dunno about that. good luck.

shirazzza
I know it's wierd talking to someone about the most private thoughts & aspects in your life but getting the opinion of someone totally unbiased & with nothing to gain can really help you gain perspective in your life. That's the whole point - I mean, what can you lose by speaking to a counsellor? I can guarantee it wouldn't make things worse as they don't have that much invested in your life to cause problems. You never know - being able to just unload all your crap onto someone who honestly doesn't judge can be very liberating.

As for the meds, they can help plateau you out so you're not so upset all the time. They won't work on your own but they can be a great help in allowing you to analyse your life & what's causing your depression & how to change it.

ElectronProbabilityCloud
Rating
Yes, but theres different sorts of depression and different sorts of counsellors. A proper psychiatrist is a lot more useful than your community mental health counsellor or whatever. I was pretty cynical about hte whole thing but it helped me a lot a few years back.

nicky dakiamadnat600bugmunchsqig
Counselling doesn't get you over depression,it helps you to look at the positive things.You may not want to talk to a stranger,but i find it helpful,as they know nothing about you,and they can't judge you by past behaviour.
Try to avoid the medication.Keep it safe,and only use it,as a last resort,because the list of side effects can be staggering.
If your counsellor is a good one,you should have a number where you can reach them at any time,day or night.
You may feel frightened and alone right now,but there is someone out there who will sit and listen to you,whether it be your mum,dad,best friend.
Take a deep breath,and calm yourself.Nothing happens overnight.
You've already taken the biggest step of all,by asking this question,you may not want to admit it to yourself,and deep down you already know the answer.
Good luck with whatever decisiion you make.

weiss
I was on medication for 9 months and I saw a psychiatrist for 2 years and I honestly don't know how I would have got through it without him - give it a chance. The doctor I saw had a way of talking to me about things so I didn't feel like I was being questioned or that my privacy was being invaded and if I ever find myself in that position again I would certainly go back. As for medication - I would recommend it... Don't let the stigma of taking antidepressants hold you back. Depression is a result of a hormonal imbalance in your brain and much of the medication on the market increase your levels of seratonin. What have you got to lose by giving them a try, you never know, you might begin to feel better.

jules
i have depression i take medication i was offered counselling but i have never talked about my feeling even before the depression so i knew it wouldnt help

sloppy chops
Rating
I don't think counselling is for everybody.when my Son got killed I had a counsellor come round to my home to see me.... I was having a "good" day and getting on with my studying when she came and suggested we chat about my Son........ made me feel upset all over again so I suggesred she leave and not come back any more. Anyway that is my tale.... it may work for you but if you are feeling like you don't want to talk to strangers then I really wouldn't bother.... good luck...

The voice of thinking
Well, yes and no, this all depends on the person.

If you don't want to take the medication explain your fears to your doctor.

Taking to a stranger means they don't know you, they don't judge you and they have no influence in your life, trust me it is a good thing you don't know them.

It means you can tell them all your dark thoughts, expel all the things that bother you, and then leave them there knowing the person doesn't judge you and that you don't see the person everyday.

Talk about little things, test the water, built some trust, but once you straight letting go of the bad things in your mind you will feel so much better.

Don't feel scared, use all the support that is around you, e mail me if you like, your not the first person to feel like this, you won't be the last.

I have been where you are know and i talk about it openly so that other people know that it is OK to feel like this, and to let people know that they can recover and have a full life.

Keep in contact with your DR, nurse etc and keep going.

species8472
no it doesnt i seen couselor for ten years for depression dont see her any more im still depressed. find yourself a good friend and talk to them. doctors only give you drugs.

native,pride
Rating
after a few short weeks i like my councelor..like anyone else they arent strangers aFTER AWile..most freinds and family dont want to hear us unload our crap onto them so counceling is good..Family can be ver critical and not understanding.if your drugs dont work or u cant stand the side effects tell them,,so they can change them..i cant staND FEELING THIS FREEKIN LOW ALL THE TIME..i have to admitt im sick,,alot of people are and dont realize it

moto
i think it'll help. you said it yourself, they are a stranger so really you have more freedom - no jugements, just someone to help you out.

biggi
I admire your courage and honesty !!! You must have been to a GP, you must have recognised the change in your emotions!!! First of all ............try the Meds and see if they DO help. if NOT, go back to your GP and try something else. sometimes it takes a little bit of time to hit the right Meds. When / if you decide to give the Counsellor a try, say just that to her/him : - " I don't really want to talk about all that............" It is a good way of opening and will put things into perspective for both of you. (May be someone can accompany you on your first visit) I mean take/ collect you.........not be present at the meeting.
You may want to talk about feeling frightened and upset and actually feel relieved afterwards having "offloaded/shared " all your feelings. Depression can be a temporary condition and with input from you, a counsellor and maybe a few group sessions? and the right Meds you will manage the signs and symptoms of an onset and it's all a thing of the past.................Trust me, you can do it. Anyway a total stranger is unbiased, not emotionally involved and also empathetic. In my opinion the best person to talk to. Give it a go and GOOD LUCK

Pinhead
I think it can and will help, I've had a few life problems over the years (like heart surgery, financial and relationship probs) and it finally came to a point where I ended up in hospital being diagnosed as being depressed.
As a result I had a course of counselling and feel much the better for it.
So I say go for it!

Kentuckygal
Yes, I do believe counseling helps, considerably, especially if you are on meds. A counselor can shed a different light on your situation to help you better understand what you are going through. Depending on what "type" of counselor (Psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker etc.) you will be visiting with, they may be able to help determine how long you'll need to take the meds. Afterall if you willingly cooperate and use your time wisely with this professional the faster your recovery will be. Be Honest not only with the counselor but also with yourself, THAT'S IMPORTANT!
Keep in mind too that you are fortunate to have a counselor to talk to. Many people (myself included) are doing good just to pay for the meds let alone afford the benefit of having someone to talk to on a regular and consistant basis. You have the opportunity to bounce back with the assistance of a coach, take advantage of it.
Anyways, take care and best wishes

sonny
yea i can help you. Email me sonny5ball@yahoo.co.uk

Shelle_001
Rating
I think any talking helps, if you feel uncomfy talking to close friends/family then go for it. But i do believe tablets work. I used to think it was all in peoples head, but now understand it is actually a chemical imbalancement of the brain. I recommend Citalapram.

Rainbow
Rating
Yes I've gone through this and still do. I too like you was ashamed that I was ill and had to take tablets. It took a long time to accept that there are times when you need help. Do not be ashamed of this. We are not superhumans, even though the impression is that we should be. We are human and frail. Our fast paced lifestyles today create the receipe for depression.

Counselling can help, some people use it others find other ways. Find time to relax, go for a walk. Find time for yourself. Get to know yourself then you are able to be honest about perhaps suppressed feelings about things.

There is lots of support out there. I finally took my illness and depressions to God in prayer. I say finally, because for years I'd tried to do everything myself. Let other people help you - you will be surprised who suffers from depression.

Visit your local library and find books and articles about depression. Don't be afraid If you don't want to go to counselling tried confiding in a good mate or relative, one whom you trust won't push you away.

Try writing down your feelings in a journal, even if they seem negative. I did painting as therapy and it was wonderful and helped me enormously.

If you need medication for a short or long while it's okay, even people with other health problems take tablets.

Be good to yourself and take care.

angel 36
Rating
i had bereavement counselling it really helped me

lissa
Rating
i suffer very bad depression and anxiety also i suffer bad panic attacks, it took me 10 years to see a psychologist and now i see him and one of the top psychiatrists around i dont like to but when i come out of the place i feel ok for a few days, i refuse to take pills as they do not help me. they only work if you lift your mood and then they kick in to keep you up and happy for a while. i have tried many but nothing works i have had citalipram, prozac, a new one that you dont swallow it melts in the mouth. nothing has helped me. i never have good days really but i have very very good reasons to be depressed but i cant talk about it.

ALISON T
Rating
I've been exactly where you are, scared frightened almost ashamed to admit you've got the terrible 'disease'. It is different for everyone, so all I can give you is the tips that helped me through.

I decided I didn't want to go down the medicated route, I was worried it would leave me feeling I needed the tablets to feel ok. Whatever you decide is upto you. I took counselling, from various places in the end. I wouldn't go expecting the counsellor to have any answers for you... I thought thats how it worked!! I generally mistrusted the counsellor, they annoyed me and I felt annoyed I was in such a mess that I was going to see them.

The one thing it allowed me to do was offload and offload to someone impartial, although friends and family were there for me, I felt ashamed and guilty at loading them with my problems.
Just talking through what I thought was wrong with me allowed my mind the space and time to start looking ahead and making a plan to get better. Something it had not been allowed to do while I was wallowing with my dark monster.

The other things sound patronising, but they GENUINELY work, gentle exercise, take countryside walks and do anything that you used to enjoy before depression took pleasure away from you. Eating a healthy balanced diet really really works, its all about getting those chemicals back in balance in your brain, it can be done!!!

The biggest thing I would advise is not to be ashamed of depression, I met with a lot of people who didn't believe it existed, except for lazy people who don't want to work, well guess what it does!! And some of the world's most interesting and funny people have and do suffer from depression. Spike Milligan is one of my fav comedians and I felt comfort knowing he had felt the depths of depression like me. Depression is like any illness, you have to fully admit you have it before you can hit the road to recovery. People's attitudes can be negative, but don't let that stop you, take strength from the fact you know better than them.

Reading helped me too, stuff about mountains wouldn't be high if valleys weren't so deep, and the most beautiful musical instruments are carved from the sharpest knives.
I can't tell you this process won't hurt it will in a way I had never experienced, but there is a way through, and if I can do it then anyone can. Especially if you are looking for a way out which you clearly are, you have already taken your first step to recovery!!

Good luck because you have a fight on your hands, but believe me, its worth fighting with all your heart.

Golden
Rating
believe me when i say i know how you feel. i do.

here's the thing, the reason you don't want to talk to someone or take drugs is because.... wait for it.... you are depressed! depression can be incredibly debilitating. it is insidious and can be quite subtle. there are things that you don't see that are obvious to another. you can be going along thinkin you're all good and totally cool while your counselor is thinking OMG this person is on the freekin edge.

as someone who has been dealing with this krap for years i implore you, do the dance. if you do not, your mind and body will decay! and i'll guaran-dam-tee you that is not the way to go.

good luck with this.

Cheryl M
This is so hard for you. Yes,counselling does help as will the drugs. The problem with depression is that it drapes you with negativity. You become convinced that nothing works and never will. It's a trick of the illness (condition, if you prefer). It takes a while to get used to talking to someone else about these things but you will probably be surprised how quickly you build a rapport. You may not be talking about problems as such. Most forms of counselling these days focus on the here and now and strategies to help you change the way you think. Do give it a try. Face it you have nothing to lose and a great deal to gain. Depression can be a fatal illness. Take it seriously. Be kind to yourself. It will get better.

Sir Sidney Snot
Counselling is hard at first BUT if you get the right person and the SAME person every time it will help.The tablets are ok for short term and will raise your mood but they are not for long term.

crispycrump
Depression has a psychological and biological element. The tablets will help you tackle the biological, but it will also help you a lot to try and change some of the thought patterns which may have led to the depression or to try and work through a problem you have had e.g. a break up etc.

Saskia M
Rating
Sometimes its difficult to sit with a stranger and talk about very personal issues however a counsellor listens, never judges and it is totally confidential. Often just talking freely to someone you don't know personally helps. We can all get bogged down by events in our life and a counsellor wants to help. Give it a go..helped me though a very bad time when I finally realised this person was there to help.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy