Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

ButterflyAngel
Depression....?
I'm a 17 years old girl. I really don't know what to do anymore, I can't seem to do anything right. I have a few friends, I also have horrible grades. I'm failing almost all of them, and I don't understand why because I used to be very good in school. I'm in 12th grade which means I'm supposed to go to the university next year, but I don't know if I'll be able to go anymore. My parents also always yell at me and doesn't seem to care about me. They never let me do ANYTHING. I've never had a boyfriend and boys just don't like me.
I don't know what to do anymore...

Chucky & Lucky
Rating
Don't listen to "think perfection"

The way you feel may reflect your diet. Sometimes it's hard to maintain a proper diet. That's when supplements come in. If you can come up with some money... go to Walmart and buy these vitamins. Then start taking them accordingly, preferrably with a meal. Also start drinking plenty of pure water and try and exercise in the morning and at night.

Alfalfa Tablets 1300 mg. 3 x a day
Flaxseed Oil with Omega 3
Fatty Acids 1000 mg. 2 x a day
Vitamin B-6 200 mg. 2 x a day
Zinc 100 mg. 2 x a day
Ginkgo Biloba 60 mg. 3 x a day
Vitamin A 5000 i.u. 2 x a day
Vitamin D 600 i.u. 2 x a day
Vitamin C 1000 mg. 3 x a day
Vitamin E 1000 i.u. 2 x a day
Acetyl L- Carnitine 250 mg. 2 x a day
St. Johns Wort 2 x a day
DHEA 100 mg 2 x a day
Ginseng Complex 3 x a day
Co Q-10 60 mg 2 x a day
Niacin 500 mg 2 x a day
Garlic 400 mg. 2 x a day
Milk Thistle 175 mg. 2 x a day

If you start taking this guarentee you will feel much better.

Random Person
Rating
DO NOT KILL YOURSELF! That person is an idiot. It was a stupid thing to say. There are better solutions.

You may be clinically depressed. If you are it is not your fault or the fault of anyone else. Make an appointment with your doctor so that you can be properly treated.

Your grades may be the result of your depression and once that is treated they may get better. However, I suggest getting tutored in the subjects you are failing. You could also speak with your teachers before or after school. I'm sure they will be understanding and be willing to give you some extra help in order to boost your grades.

Parents yelling at you mean that they really care about you. Most likely they yell at you because they are worried about you, which means that they love you.

Maybe boys don't like you because of your depressed attitude. Once you get the depression treated, things should pick up.

I also recommend talking to your parents or any close friend or a school councilor (someone you trust) about your depression and worries about going to college.

I hope this helps. I want to emphasize that suicide is not the answer. I have felt pretty blue at times, even thought about killing myself. I've come to realize that there are better alternatives.

If you have any more suicidal thoughts you can always anonymously call a suicide hot-line.

LIz
This is a very good blog, a beginner’s guide to abnormal psychology.
Short, clear and simple; and you can even post your question and contact the author regarding particular subject you are interested in, for FREE

http://sensitive-psychoworld.blogspot.com/

GM
Sounds like life is not going all that great. Keep hanging in there. You are only 17. Anything can happen in the next few years. If things don't go so well... just keep going.
But never, never, NEVER go see a psychiatrist. They WILL diagnose you with depression and then bipolar and then schizophrenia. They WILL drug you. Psychiatrists are idiots.
If you EVER decide that you want to talk to a doctor about this.... please take a look at this website first. http://www.antipsychiatry.org
They ruined my life. Completely. Be very, very careful.
It's probably not depression. Maybe you just feel like hell because things are not going so well. No matter how bad things get.... you are okay. Just keep telling yourself that. Things WILL change. Hey... you might meet somebody in medschool next year. Who knows what will happen?

cecilia m
Rating
Ok, you need to talk to your counselor at school or find a therapist that can help you. But you need to surround yourself with positive people that can incourage you to do well. I went through a depression when I was in the 11th grade, my parents divorced, I hated my new school and I slept all day.. going from a 4.0 to a 2.3 in 6 weeks... depression. I wish I knew where you lived because I could point out some places that could really help you.

Good luck sweety,

Lindsay
Rating
Try getting out and finding something you enjoy. Join clubs at school. Go to the gym. Go to the mall.

abianca@sbcglobal.net
Maybe you should talk to the counselor at your school? They should be able to help you figure out why you feel so down and what to do about your grades.

Councelors can pull strings and get you extra credits and talk to teachers.

As for your parents... they love you, but most adults have completely wiped their teen years from their memories, so they have no idea how to relate to you. They really do want what's best for you and what makes you happy. There's just a communication breakdown, there.

It gets better. A lot better. Do you have any money of your own, or your own transportation? That helps significantly if you're upset because you feel powerless. Consider getting a part-time job.

Also, once you're out of your parents house, you don't have to listen no matter how much or loudly they yell. Although, you should maybe listen a little, they sometimes know one or two things.

And boys... they're stupid. Once you find one you like, you'll know it. But you might have to toss him a nice word or smile to get his attention.

So work on the stuff that'll make you smile, first, then maybe think about boys.

I promise it gets better. You're just at a REALLY hard age.

?
Rating
for a senior it is understandable for you to be some what depressed I would get a tutor to help with the grades and that way you will still graduate from school.
you hang in there and believe me don't worry about the boys there is plenty of time for that.
you will do fine and cheer up nothing is ever that bad been there from experienced

soccergirl_116
Rating
they care about you. dont think that noone does care about you, and i find it very hard to not do good in school if you dont try and do your homework, im not saying that you dont do your work, but its hard to fail if you do the work that your asked to do. and your parent are just trying to help you by keeping you in. and the right guy will come. also talk to someone like your parents about anything, theyre there for you.

talking2critters
Rating
From what you have written and from my own experience - yes, it's depression.
I wish I could give you a 'fix all' answer to your problem, but I can't. Depression can be a very serious condition and in my opinion, nothing to be taken lightly.

Here is a site that I believe offers some really good information about depression. (UCL Student Support Pages - "Common Student Problems")
It offers some suggestions on how to not only recognize depression, but also various ways in which to deal with it.

The second site offers advice for other various common problems experience by students.

Try to think about when things changed (bad grades, etc.) and what may have caused it.

As for your parents, I'll bet that all the yelling at you is NOT because they "don't care about you," but because of their frustration at not knowing how they can help you . . . (not saying that's how your parents should be approaching the problem - not even parents are perfect).

Try to talk to them or one of them you feel closest to and tell them how you feel.
Or . . . if you don't feel comfortable talking face to face - you can write a paper about how you do see how you have changed and about your own frustrations. Place it in an envelope and then give it to either your mom or dad or place it where they might find it (on their dresser for example)

Perhaps this will proverbially "break the ice" between you and your parents and instead of yelling, they will have a little better understanding of how you are feeling and be more constructively open to you.

The world is so crazy these days and I can understand why some parents go overboard with protection of their kids - barely allowing them to go anywhere or do anything. It doesn't make it right, but they do it because they worry for their kids.

Perhaps the thought of going to College is a bit intimidating and it's playing heavy on your mind - giving you subconsciously. . . COLD FEET.

Sorry to ramble on so.
Anyhow,
I hope you find Peace & Happiness.
And take into consideration what Bradon Lee said in the movie "The Crow" . . .

IT CAN'T RAIN ALL THE TIME!
Blessings,
T.

Gurl Power
I think that you and your family should go to counseling beleive me ive had problems in my life im adopted ive resolved my problems and im living a happy life, even though i am i try to forget about the things in the past you should to it seems like you may be getting picked on in school or somethin everybody does just brush it off. I havnt had too many girlfreinds im not ugly its just that idont interact well with most teenagers, You seem like anice person and im sure you will find the right person(by the way im 14)

wheelsxtwo
Rating
get a tutor for the grades.
yelling doesn't always = not caring

get over yourself....life is hard. be happy that you wake up every day and have the chance to do something good. have faith in yourself, without having to have everyone else express faith in you. heck, that is the easy part.

don't give up we've all been through it

pagliinaz
I suffered depression as a teen. I believe it began around the age of puberty, and lasted until I got the right professional help when I was 23. It was miserable. And it hurts. I also believed my parents did not like me, that I was never good enough. I learned through counselling and medication that this was far from the truth. It's just that my depression was a roadblock for me, and it caused my grades to suffer, it caused me to act differently, my perceptions were all jumbled, and I did not try to acheive anything. I withdrew, and my parents were frustrated. They did not know what to do for me, how to motivate me, and sometimes it came out sounding to me like they didn't really think I was capable of anything in their eyes, which only increased my depressed feelings. When I finally got the right help, I turned around... and see things so very clearly now. Please, DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO HARM YOURSELF. You have no idea how much that would hurt everyone. And when you can see clearly, you will be amazed how many people you are important to. Talk about going to the doctor, or seeing a counsellor. You may need medication, but that is okay. Depression is NOT your fault... it is a chemical imbalance in the body. And the hurt is real. Talk... that is the biggest thing you can do to get started on the road to recovery.

pebbles
Rating
First of all, please dont listen to that first answer you recieved from the idiot that calls himself a perfectionist! I think that you need to join a club or something at school to help you feel better about yourself. Maybe you can find someone to help you with your grades. That would help you feel better too. Talk to a counselor at school. I hope that things get better for you soon.

staffie lover from Aussie
HEY PUT YOUR CHIN UP,YOUR GRADES SEEM TO BE BOTHERING YOU,THE MORE YOU WORRY THE MORE YOU WILL FALL BEHIND.SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE STILL HANGING IN THERE AS YOU ARE ONE STEP AHEAD OF YOUR FAMILY BY GOING TO UNIVERSITY,SO DONT THINK YOU ARE A FAILURE.BOYS AINT EVERYTHING,ONE DAY YOU WILL FIND THE MR RIGHT, AND YOUR LIFE WILL CHANGE FOR THE BEST.THE SOCIETY MACKES US FEEL LIKE WE ARE A FAILOUR BUT LIFE IS TOO PRESSIOUS TO THINK LIKE THAT.YOU ARE NEARLLY YOUR OWN BOSS, SO YOU WILL BE ABLE TO GO OUT DO WHAT YOU WANT WITH OUT YOUR PARENTS PERMISSION, SO HANG IN THERE AND GOOD LUCK AT UNI

♥tessa♥
Believe it or not you are a normal 17 year old. There are so many emotions that surface during this time. You must realize that it will pass and if you will just focus on doing the very best that you can do on everything then you will come out pretty good. Hang in there!

morequestions
Rating
try girls :-) j/k. but seriously, try to focus on your studies and find a realy good friend. all you really need is one. also, keeping a journal ( like xanga online) can help too. when you are young and going through things, it is amazing all the ups and downs you have. writing them down may help clear things up. good luck!

Juanitaville
Rating
Hang on! Depression may be causing your situation to become even more unmanageable.

I suggest you talk to the school psychologist or counselor. Your parents care very much for you. People (like my parents) don't know how to express emotions to their children.

Think of all your good points. All of us have at least one quality that is positive. It's definitely not too late to bring up your grades.

Let me tell you something I've learned. It's not the quantity of friends that you have, it's the quality. If you have one friend on whom you can rely and share your problems with, you're in good shape.

Please get some help. Depression is no fun at any age but at 17 it's really terrible. You have your whole life to look forward to. Start enjoying it today. Boyfriends will come, but first you have to take care of yourself. Good luck!

STILL standing
Rating
I have been through all that you describe above, and a lot more, and I survived it so can you.

Trust me, you will make it through this time, and when you do, you will find yourself to be so much stronger because of it; it's like the old saying "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

You have to find people to talk to and confide in, whether they be peers or middle-aged adults, just find them and get rid of all those negative emotions that are draining your energy and stalling your future.

Another way to destroy those negative emotions is to exercise vigorously every day, no matter what is going on around you.

Make your daily run, bike ride, basketball game or weight training your sanctuary where you can feel like yourself and escape all of your problems, even if momentarily.

Do not ignore your problems, because then they will only become stronger, and do not run from them, because you will lose sight of where you want the rest of your life to go.

Fight your problems head on and don't let them get the best of you.

If you want advice on how best to do this from someone who already has, (and strikingly similar to your own situation) email me.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy