Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

undeniablyxfierce
Can i get SSI checks for mental issues?
I'm 17 years old and I'm in Austin,Texas. I live with my 19 year old cousin, I was kicked out the house shortly after my 17th birthday, so I moved from Mississippi to Texas. I have a few mental issues, bipolar disorder,depression and i have issues with self-mutilation. Is there any way I can get SSI even though I don't live with my parents?

ImTheBest A
Rating
yes i do

i have depression/ptsd/gora phoba

But Ive Also Nerver Been to School

u Need to go see a Doc AND PROVE IT

i was 18 years old when i got it now im 19 almost 20

Start Trying On Your 18th b day

Just me
Yes you can get on the magic carpet ride, once your on you will wish that you could get off of it. Sure it is a certain amount of money coming in every month, but it is actually there to keep you in poverty unless you are very smart, not get you out. If you get this then you will be at risk for the rest of your life of the system using it against you to treat you in your own home against your will anytime that they want to or as an excuse for them controlling your life and your family decissions and possibly even having your children taken away if you have any because of it. Sure you can get it, but you could also try to get a job that is just a job till you can move up into a self made business or a better position in your feild and not have to worry about how you spend or save your money and you can invest in yourself and save along the way for what you want and one day you might be a millionairre. Sure you can get it almost anyone can, but the things you have to do to get it and keep it aren't worth it, not unless you absolutely must. Use your skills, talents, and wishes and passion in better ways. It should be the absolute last resort, and don't give up to quickly because no matter what there will always be hard times in life it is part of life. The criteria has changed so much and the ideas have changed so much. That one girl talks about cutting herself like she is proud of that? That is strange to me. It isn't any thing to be proud of or is it? I don't think so first I tried and then I let things happen and I guess you have to make your own decissions, I advise against it if you can help it at all have a little pride in yourself and do the best that you can, stuggle for yourself before it is to late for you.

whatevit
HI: I answered your question: Can I still get a job?, I was awarded best answer on that question. PLEASE, ENABLE THE E-MAIL ON THIS SYSTEM. If it was enabled I would not of posted here to get your attention.

In reference to this question, I think that the SSA does not require you to live with your parents, But your parents must be valid for you to receive services. You have a lot of opportunities, even in Austin Texas, to control your life. PLEASE REMEMBER IT IS YOUR CHOICE TO HURT YOURSELF. If that what you choose to do no one can stop you. Check with the SSA, they will help as much as they can. I know their help will seem useless at the time that they are giving it, but that is the way all things in this world work. They may refer you to a group that will do what appears as little to nothing, but hang in there and you will grow strong and be glad for the little that was given.

How do you get access to a computer and the Internet? I have an Internet program that you can work on, you will need to be on the computer 1-2 hours a day. The income is good ($600 -$1,000) a week. There is no cost to you, it can be done from any computer, Just E-mail me on this system. Key on my icon and E-mail. Please when you send E-mail make sure you say why you are mailing. I get 50 plus E-mails a day and I don't remember what I said to everybody without them reminding me.

Betsy
Rating
You woudl have to prove that even with treatment it keeps you from holding a job.

debbigeri
yes you should go to the social security office and apply you might have to be seeing a doctor to.

Caren H
Minors cases are harder to prove. Please tell me you are actively seeking treatment for your disorders? BTW, most minors who do receive funds, it goes to their parents basically to pay for their care. You may need to be emancipated. But 17 is too young to hang it all up. If you are uninsured, please apply for your state's assistance, or visit your county's health office and they may be able to steer you to the right people to get the help you need. Meanwhile, please try to continue your education.

robthomasjr2000
Shaun, your psych lied to you. go to www.cchr.org and see the videos of psychs saying there are no cures or tests for mental illness. Find out for yourself.

majnun99
Rating
You might be able to. Look up the number for Social Security in the phone book (under government pages, federal). They're going to ask for records, you'll have to get copies of records from your doctor and have them sent to Social Security Adminstration. You might have to wait until you're 18, unless you can get a parent or guardian to sign for you, or if you can prove you are an emancipated minor (someone under 18 who is making a living and supporting himself). Maybe your cousin has legal custody of you?

friendsforevertilyoupissmeoff
yes u can get ssi anytime proven physically and mentally challenged and will affect u from working. if u getting denied u can do an appeal process and get a lawyer that will be paid by social security

smileyOne
Rating
social security is tough to get. Are you sure you don't want to work through your stuff, get healthy and work? An idle mind is not a good thing for a person with mental issues. You could maybe get public assistance while you get counseling and medication levels in order but, do you really want to sign yourself up to a life of no earning and the satisfaction of having earned a wage? Mental issues ARE CURABLE through self investigation and medicines for some disorders. Good luck

Sati
Shaun,
I am sorry you have had such a hard time. I hope you will focus on getting help for your issues and not the money. I know that any assistance takes time but you are so young I hope you will seek help.

dazeeonline
Here is the web address for SSI:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/11000.html

You can actually earn some money and still receive SSI. That's why it is called "Supplemental Security Income," because it supplements the income and services (food stamps,etc.) you already receive. However, you can only qualify if your income and resources are limited. The web site above tells you what you need to bring with you when you apply for SSI, such as doctor information, financial records, etc.

littledevilinyourcup
you can but you have to prove that your conditions prevent you from holding a job of any sort. Also until you turn 18 or you become an emancipated minor an adult has to be in control of the funds

lyyman
The answer is yes, but you've got to be very messed up and you must have a lawyer; even if you want to represent yourself. Expect to wait for years.

startrektosnewenterpriselovethem
I get SSDI for my Bi-polar, go to the social security office and apply for aid

kewlchica
go ahead join the millions of americans who can't deal with life so i have to work and pay taxes so you can be a slacker
life is hard. ur only 17 and already want to give up? pathetic.

george 2
no.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy