Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Mental Health
Health Discussion Forum

How do you know if your depressed ?

Am i a little paranoid?
i am pretty cautious about the internet i mean i think this website would be a good way to meet people it's just you hear so much about stalkers and everything i'm afraid ...

What do you do when you are really depressed to fell better?
besides the obvious of taking meds and seeking therapy

did you ever try swimming in very cold water then taking a hot shower, then back in the cold water

this isn't ...

If you had to commit suicide, how would you do it?
Not that I am suicidal, but I know how I would-lots of sleeping pills and pain killers....

I feel humiliated?
my mum had the front of our house painted bright, sunshine yellow. itr is soooooo ridiculous and humiliating. it is more noticeable because it is a double fronted house of a terraced street.'ve ...

How do I keep myself from napping?
I've gotten into the bad habit of taking naps at around 4 in the afternoon and want it to stop. I just get really grouchy when I don't and extremely bored. What can I do to occupy that ...

Is anyone else still up?
Its almost 2am! I should so be sleeping right now because I work in the morning. ahhhhh....

Serious question about coping with depression?
What do you do when you feel depressed?? I only want people to answer if they seriously have ever been depressed, not just pious people who think they have the right cheeky answers. I get depressed ...

How do I finally free myself from depression?
I have suffered for 13 years, had counselling, various medication, CBT etc.... when will it all end?...

Should I commit suicide?
I am REALLY thinking about suicide. Nothing is going right. I was in the middle of suffocating myself, and then my boifriend at the time had called, and i had told him I was going to kill myself, and ...

What is wrong with me?
I have this personal issue with myself that I think is immature, unfair and greedy. I found out one of my friends is pregnant, it made me really mad and jealous. Also any one of my friends that get ...

Scary . help please.?
um .
so much happened in 13 years of my life.
my dad had a stroke , he's currently in the hospital . ive been accused of stealing , my mom got sued like 600 with financial difficulties ...

When does a person become becomes happy in life?

Lack of sleep?
wat happend if u dont sleep??...

Why do I do this?
I seem to be addicted to self destruction. I seem to constantly to want to put myself in bad situations, hurt myself and od frequently. Why do I keep doing this to myself. The latest thing I appear ...

I think I have a mental disorder, who can I talk to????
I always thought that I had OCD. It isn't because I like to clean or anything, it is just the compulsive habits and stupid obsessions that made me think it. I recently read an article on it ...

Is there anything wrong with self harm?
Its not as if its hurting anyone else....

What are people still doing up at this deadly hour????

Well..., black ppl scare me?
help how do i not be scarred of black ppl

i cant help it i just think theyre gonna stab me or sumthin

wat can i do 2 get over this cuz its makin things bad 4 me....

Has anyone got any wierd phobias?
Share ...

DANB
Aliens replacing my wife???
Hi,

When I was about 18 I got really anxious and started having panic attacks for about 18 months. About 9 months in I started to think I was being poisoned by my parents and that aliens had replaced them. Very weird i know.

After a while it seemed to just stop and I went back to the way I was before.

When I was 29 i went through another depression and anxiety period and started to think the old thoughts again. But this time it was about my wife being taken away and replaced by an alien who looks and acts just like her. The weird thing is that deep down I know it's rubbish but it upsets me that I think these thoughts. It only occurs when she leaves my sight say to go in to another shop in town and meets me back up. I get this weird flash in my head and think...Is this really her??? I have seen cousellors and they have told me I have a fear of loss due to the way my dad acted towards me when I was a kid, but where does the alien stuff come from?

Anyone else had this?
DB

Tyreeisme!
consult a therapist

a_n_n_a_k_i_n
I suffer with anxiety too,
When I went through a bad patch my obsession was either that I was going to go mad and loose my mind, or that I had something seriously medicaly wrong with me and ended up at the doctors once a week for months!

As long as you remember that your concerns are just in your head, sooner or later you will be able to pull yourself out of it.
It's great to have understanding people around you who are tolerant but it's really down to you to stay strong and get through it.
You know you can as you went back to normal last time so you just need to grit your teeth and stay focused and sooner or later you will come out of it and feel more in control.

It's horrible, but unfortunatley the only way to feel more confident about controling your unwanted thoughts is by experiencing the bad times and learning from them. Good luck, i'm sure you will get there.

(Bit of a placebo that works for me, - try bach flower remedies, they help me if I have a weak moment!)

J
Rating
thats really sad, I have a similar issue, I get afraid that the world is going to end and everyone is goinf to suffer and die and not exist and etc,
I then go off into a tangent about feeling that there is no point to life and that I feel trapped that I cant get out as I dont want to die buut I cant stand being alive as it and everything about it- including the end of the world fears, scare me to death,

it started when I was 11, dissappeared until I was 15, then I blocked it out by getting an eating disorder (blocking stuff out is the only way I know how to deal with stuff) when I was 16, then it came back when I was 21. I am now 26 and still fear it comming back and know it could do.

I am seeing a psychotherapist who again thinks its to do with loss- the 5th therapist to have independantly said this to me. They think its to do with my mothers relationship with me. As these anxiety things flare up for me when things end. My psychohearapist and the support of my consultant psychiatrist have been what gets me through and I hoe one day I will make a break through with it all.

cant really advise as I havent solved the probem yet but know talking about if for me anyway, helps. Just wanted you to know your not on your own I guess.

Cant really

kay_flood
the "alien" stuff comes from the crap the media floods us with, so that is what is in the forefront of your mind. Stop watching tv.

alexandramoores444
Rating
Sir, you seem to have apsychotic disorder. You appear paranoid and seem to be in a distorted reality. You need to get psychiatric help to enable you to live your life to its fullest. It is not aliens taking your wife away. You have a chemical inbalance that can easily be fixed with medication.

Tapestry6
Rating
Watch Stepford Wives.. and tell yourself its only a made up story, read the credits.. all the writer's names.. once your subconcious accepts it as an adult fairytale you will give the whole scenario a rest.

Annely
I would say that you suffer from an anxiety disorder, and probably obsessive compulsive thinking, where you think the same bizarre thoughts over and over, especially after the same triggering effect happens to you, such as when shopping. Like once the thought hits you at that time, it continues to do so all the time in those instances. I knew someone like that, he had severe OCD and his thoughts were weird, yet he knew they were not true, yet could not control them coming into his head. You should see a psych doctor. They have medication to calm all of that down. You may want to look into "Brain Lock", it is a book about that kind of thinking and entails a program into stopping your brain from thinking this way.

melissa1982uk
I haven't experienced this but at least you know that it is irrational, I am sorry about the situation you are in. You need to dig deeper into yourself, and go back to when you was a kid, and realise what your fear is and what are you afraid to lose?

v.shortt431@btinternet.com
Rating
Sounds a bit like Capgras syndrome to me. I used to know someone who had this. Best see the doctor again. Good luck. x

bigguyinthesky
Rating
ask your doctor about zyprexa olanzapine they work great for paranoid delusions like yours

madartistdevinci
Rating
It would be a good idea to see a psychiatrist that is also a therapist. Then an evaluation can be done by a professional, it will either confirm that there is some type of condition related to chemical imbalance or if it's not the doctor/therapist may at least be able to assist you in coping with these episodes and maybe how to eliminate them. Counsellors that only give a half baked answers that have no substance or suggestions on how to cope are not competent! See a good doctor and try to avoid counsellors that are not Md's even licensed counsellors can be quacks, ask your GP for a recommendation.

pvanderstighelen
not me but sometimes get mistaking for alien ....you already have your answer ..you know its all a figment of your imagination ...as in deep down ..write a book or something ...get of chest .......imagination is great but when its controlling , time you took controll,.........look forward to your book good luck

miss pixie
Rating
Does she actually look like an alien? I know of a syndrome called Capgras Syndrome. It is a neuropsychological condition where the person (in this case, you) believes a close relative or loved one has been replaced by an imposter, commonly robots or aliens. Have a wee read into that and see if that maybe makes any sense to you. In any case, i think a trip to a psychologist or a psychiatrist should be in order.

matty_bum_bum11
Rating
Where u scared of aliens when you were young?

xgogogrlx
Wow....you are probably having a reality check,or your bipolar or skitzo...I know it sounds bad but you should see a psychiatrist.

Witknee
Rating
Well yiou feel your wife is doing something to you, you just have to fill in your blank of why she would be. and you dont want it to be her so you say it is aliens. in a wierd way like a soother.

jeanimus
These counsellors dont seem much good. Havent they tried CBT or anything. The alien stuff is most likely from media films books etc. In fantasy, it is the most likely thing that a missing person would be replaced by, so you just fill in your 'loss' of your wife with the most obvious thing.

John W
Rating
Explain all this to your doctor.
Ask him / her about seeing a psychiatrist instead of 'counsellors'

David K
Rating
If you think about someone replacing your wife that looks and acts just like her, your mind pulls for some sort of explanation, and the only one that is acceptable is aliens, because you have seen movies that say that aliens are capable of such things.

Freyas Mummy & Daddy
do you remember watching a film with this kinda story line? did it scare you?

Martin M
Yes, in high school I thought that happened to all my teachers (especially gym)

John
Rating
Forget therapists and counsellors. Get referred to a psychiatrist. This is a psychiatric problem, and you need a psychiatric diagnosis.

You wouldn't take your car to a counsellor a therapist if it had a glitch. Don't take your mind there.

You seem to coping okay at the moment, but you want to catch this now.

Good luck.

Niall!
Rating
I have not had this but i have heard of it.

Maybe you are susceptable to a strong magnetic field in your area which can stimulate certain parts of your brain to make you believe unrashonal things.

Maybe you should see a psychiatrist or some kind of proffesional incase it is a mental illness

Natalie
Ok aliens have better things 2 do than lie to be Ur lady but u might have been abducted and u have just thought that in Ur mind cos they look some how look into Ur brain and block out the memory... don't worry its OK

sungemperor
Perhapswe have here a wish that such a thing could/might happen . If you are unhappy with your wife the answer is surely an agrred divorce , not fantasies about aliens replacing here . This you have to do yourself

asboclothing
Rating
We all think weird stuff, some of us choose to worry about it, some of us don't.

notyou311
Have you seen a psychiatrist? You could be having symptoms of schizophrenia.

Ray P
Rating
You're quite right, aliens have got her. Same happened to my wife. Only excuse I can think of.

sisterof_thedarkmoon
Rating
I think it'll help you to see a psychiatrist hun.

Demon Lord Sesshomaru *AY*
My advice:

Call Agents Sculley & Mulder.

Perhaps they may be of assitstance.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.134
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy