Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Injuries
Health Discussion Forum

How do you treat a mild burn? mine just wont stop burning.?
I need the answer right away....

I was in a car accedent yesterday...and now....?
I was in a car accedent yesterday.;
It was really bad. the airbags went off. and everyone was hurt except for me. The woman in the car in front of us was carried away in a stretcher.
but ...

Help black eye!!!!!!?
how to get rid of it and dont give me that "put make-up on it" line.what can i do?...

I beg of anyone's help?
I have rencently had an injury at school. One of my discs had come out of my back and now pain follows me wherever I go. For people who do not know what a disc is, it is a cushion in between you ...

Why does life seem low and i wished i was dead?
i was injured in a crash 2 years ago pain causes depression the medical people do not see any closer to a cure also lost my job after wards and i am not as active as i would like to ...

If a main artery was cut, how long would it take to die?

I need a doctors note for work.. but im not sick what do i do?
i called my work and told them i rolled my ankle and now i need a doctors note what do i do?...

Broken toe?
I think I broke my smallest toe (left foot) a couple of nights ago. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow morning, but is there anything else I should do for now?...

I have burned my finger making popcorn?
i got the bag out of the microwave and this burning hot oil dropped from the bag onto my finger. this was an hour ago and i kept it under water and it is now covered in a wet cloth but it is still ...

My right arm has been hurting 4 2 days and its swollen it hurts when i move it i am 13 HELP ME!?
It really hurts and my friends say to go see a doctor and that it might be serious or maybe a siss and my teacher is going to send me to the school nurse tommorrow when she is in. My mom says she ...

I have a burn blister should i pop it?

I'm hallucinating.... again!?
this time, it's auditory hollucinations, one was when the wind blew aganst my window very hard, it played the song of time from zelda, ok I know that just isn't possible. And if you haven�...

Did you ever step on?
a nail and it went thru your ...

Help Please somebody!!!!!!!!!!?
I shut my finger in the car door the other day and it still hurts really bad ,any suggestions to what I should do?

I've been putting ice on it, but it doesn'tt seem to help....

Cigarette burn?
i managed to burn my hand on a cig and its blistered like mad and really sore, can anyone give any advice to what can ease the pain or make it heal quicker....

I think i might have a broken leg/ankle?
i was running with my dogs yesterday night ( like at 9pm-10 pm )and i think that i put my foot in wrong position this morning i couldnt stand but somehow i got up and went to school i didnt felt any ...

How old were you last time you cried for physical pain? And why?
I think I was 12 when I broke my foot playing soccer.

Then I have never cried, even for really hard pain, like kidney stones or bad sprains.

I think that our pain tolerance ...

Most painful thing you've ever feltin your whole lifetime?
Im 14, and im sure ill have to endure much more painful things yet so far for me it's getting an artery in my leg accidentally sliced open by a can. the blood just flowed, and for me, who afraid ...

When should woman start having kids?

I have a bruise on my face that won't go away?
I bumped my head a month or 2 ago and i had a bruise on my face. Now it's still there?? You can see it, it's darker than the area around it. What do i do!?!?
Additional Details

Vix
Why don't birds get electrocuted when they sit on pylons?

black_bi_diva
They have a coating on their feet kind of like rubber that protects them from being electrocuted.

Watch them sitting on the electric lines and you'll see what I mean.

Diva

Princess Lola
sometimes they do.when they touch the wires they sure do!we often find dead birds under the wires! :(

jeff s
electricity has two components
positive and negative
you need to come into contact with both for electrocution

George Adamson
Rating
HAH! Shows how much you all know, my freind works for Hydro Electric, and he told me just right this minute that birds have...
MAGIC FEET... and are immune to any kind of electricity including but not limited to standing on Plyons.

They also have very small catapults and will kill worms with them when they are up there clever little buggers its all a conspiracy don't you know.

Hugh Jorgen
Actually, if we were to sit on a power line and not touch anything else like the birds do, we would not get electrocuted! The reason for this has to do with the fact that current, a flow of electrons, flows along a path of least resistance. The electrons want to get to where they are going in the easiest possible way, much like a person might walk on the sidewalk instead of the grass because it is easier. When a bird sits on a wire and the electrons reach the part of the wire where the bird is sitting, the electrons have two options. They could go through the bird's feet and encounter a large amount of resistance or they could go through the metal. All metals are conductors which means that electrons flow through them easily. Because it is easier to travel through the metal instead, the electrons don't go through the birds feet, so the bird stays safe.

The same thing would happen if a person sat on a wire and the electrons would go through the wire instead of through the person. If, however, the person reached out to a tree or anything else connected with the ground, there is a new path of lower resistance and the electrons would go through the person to the ground, electrocuting him

digital genius
they are not grounded, so they are not completing a circuit...

Trust Me
The electricity passes along the cable between the bird's feet. It has no cause to go through the bird. The reason is that electricity follows the path of least resistance, and the bird offers more resistance than the cable.

If it were to put one foot on the cable and one foot on the pylon, which is standing on the ground, then that would be a very different matter. The electricity would then find less resistance passing through the bird to get to earth and back to the generating station, and the bird would be frazzled.

Les-Paul
Because they aren't earthed. (They don't have a part of their body touching the ground). Electricity will always search for a way to the earth.

dreamrider121
They have to be touching the ground and wire at the same time to get electracuted just like any other animal.

quietwalker
Pylons don't carry electricity. Look up the term in a dictionary.

alan_21_bristol
Because you have to be in contact with the ground to be electrocuted. Like when u stand on a brick and touch and electric fence you won't feel anything

♥bentworth78♥®
Rating
Birds don't touch the groung when standing on wires or anything, That's where the term"grounded" Is used

duc602
has to be grounded

nothing
Birds are either sitting (to their good fortune) on insulated wire, or they are not completing the circuit by grounding themselves by having another foot, etc, touching a second ground wire or similar device.

BlakLuv_06!!
Becauze their bonez are made of rubber!!!

Sarah
They're not touching the electrical current itself.

rustskipper
Rating
Hi Vicki,

Birds don't get electrocuted when they sit on pylons because they are not 'Grounded', either by a connection to a wet ground location, or a ground wire. They are not on a complete circuit.

manikally
because they're not touching the floor

Cosmo Analjuice
Rating
Birds don't sit on pylons, they sit on telegraph wires belonging to the telephone. They would get shocked if they flew near a pylon wire.
Next time it rains, stand under a pylon and listen....they crackle (nothing to do with birds)

Kenstheman
Birds and people only get electrocuted when they form part of a circuit. In this case, as many have said, the bird is not touching the ground, so no circuit is formed.

Graham I
Rating
Electrocution occurs when an electric current passes through your body (or in this case the bird's body). It can only do this if two (or more) parts of the body are connected to objects which are at different levels of electrical charge, for example if a live cable touches you and you are standing on the ground, there is a difference between the cable and the ground, and you get electrocuted. In the case of the bird, both feet are touching things which are at the same electrical charge (ie adjacent points on the same cable).

flashpro
Rating
Actually, the bigger ones do. I saw a show on the Discovery channel the other night that showed that alot of eagles, mainly and a couple other larger birds of prey that need to sit up high to survey, do get electrocuted, because they are large enough to touch more than 1 pylon at a time. They are putting up long T bars for them to sit on above all the wiring, and hopefully it will get better.

dumbchild
Rating
Birds will indeed perch on electricity lines as much as telegraph lines. The reason they are usually ok is that they do not often "short themselves out ". If a bird is perched on a power cable it will be fine as long as it touches nothing. If , however it stretches its wings on take off and makes contact with a metal supporting channel, which is earthed, and is still in contact with the cable it will get a fatal shock. Roast sparrow anyone ?

Hmmmmm
because they are not earthed.

saz17
Rating
they only grip one wire - if they touch both - kaboom - roast chicken.

jlb
maybe they have rubber feet.

Abi
Rating
Because they are not 'earthed' by touching the floor or something that is touching the floor. The voltage runs throught them but does them no harm, but if they did touch the ground at the same time as touching the wire they would be electrocuted. Its the same if you stand on polystyrene blocks whilst touching an electric fence. You feel absolutley nothing.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, March 30, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy