Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Injuries
Health Discussion Forum

Is it legal for a hospital to make a 5-year old girl with severe fracture wait for 6 hours?
the 5-yr old girl got fractured and was in extreme pain - the hospital in town couldn't treat her, so they asked her to be taken to another town 1 hour from here. In that hospital the doctor ...

Iv`e got in ingrowing pube .............help please?

If you fall asleep in the bath will you wake up before you drown?

Should i have my finger amputated?
I was in a motorbike crash in january and was very badly injured. I broke 19 bones. I have made a good recovery but still have problems with my right hand. the most notice able is that my little ...

Underneath my left eye you can see it beating!! help!!?
and when i touch it , i can feel a pulse and its scaring me!! it looks like a twitch, but its not, its like a beating vein! and its noticable!! please help!! im so freaked out!!
Additional D...

Is it bad if i get hit in the head everyday?
Well I'm 14 years old and i get hit in the head pretty much everyday. I get hit in the head because my sister hits me every day. And HARD too. She is 16 years old and hits really hard.My mom ...

What is the worst injury you have ever had and how did it happen??
and don't say a broken heart!...

I woke up with a scratch on my arm?
I have no idea why. I have this big gash on my arm and i can't figure out what it's from. I didn't have a dream last night either... and I don't think I scratched myself. Does ...

Is you second toe longer than your first toe?

What is it called? Please help!?
When you brake a leg or legs, and doctor gives you those two things, that you have to walk with, what is it called?
Thanks!...

Do you think you would die if?
you recieved all the injuries you ever sustained at once?...

I hit my face it is now swollen how do i reduce the swollen?
i hit my face it is now swollen how do i reduce the swollen. I am not sure if I can still use some ice bacause this happened over 24 hrs ago. any ideas?...

Can you die from any internal bleeding? this is important..?
My boyfriend went to the doctor the other day because they said that they found protien in his urine and he may have internal bleeding. He went back today and it was positive that he does have ...

What is the worst injury that you have ever suffered and how did you do it??????????????

I got bit by a dog. What are some of the symptoms I might have if the dog has rabies.?

What happens when you swallow a quarter?

Additional Details
For those of you wondering ,it was'nt me, it was my boyfriend,his friend thought it would be funny to put it perfectly on top of his beer bottle,and he ...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH Me!!??
I was in class and we were working on a class play when i was pushed and i hit my head HARD on the cement floor. I went home after that and i feel: REALLY tired, its hard to walk straight and, i am ...

Finger help!?
This Friday, I had got my right middle and ring fingers caught in the part of the garage door that bends, I got it treated immeadeatly, but I still have little little purple-ish pink marks on my ...

My bruise doesn't hurt!!!?
I have a bruise on the very bottom of my thumb and it doesn't hurt at all! I touch it and even rub it but it doesn't hurt. And yes it's a bruise because it's purple....

Whats wrong with me??sick?
jan 2nd my throat started acting up, it only hurt on my left side to swallow. i managed the pain and would spray cepacol and take ibuprofen then i would feel better.got but on jan 4th it got worse. ...

nick h
What will help a torn hamstring?
It has been about 3 weeks now since the tear. I play softball and really want to go all out, but unfortunately can't. What will help me out when playing softball, so that it will not bother me as much.

His twig & berries are hot!
You need at least 6-8 weeks for it to heal. Stressing it out will could cause you to re-injury it or worse have the injury be permanent. Rest it and when you start playing again make sure that you warm up the muscle and then stretch it, then go 'Play Ball!'

angel94
the thing that will help a torn hamstring is to rest for like a week and put ice on it and that also happen to me

Rock D
what ever you do DO NOT STRETCH IT. It will only make it more inflamed and keep it there. The best thing available is r.i.c.e. It will never get better if you are playing on it still.
But since i am an athlete and i know how it feels. Shorten your stride when you run, lots of painkillers, and avoid over exertion. Wrap it up tight and make sure there is a lil pressure on it. It will hurt at first but gradually it will subside...(not saying its not gonna still hurt, it juz wont hurt as bad as it was).

shifty0800
whiskey...and lots of it.

Answernian
Rating
I would say to go with what your doctor/phys. trainer recommends. But, I think the real answer is preventive maintenance/stretching. Smoothly with both legs locked straight, attempt to touch the ground until you feel minor discomfort (not pain) in hamstrings and hold and then slowly
and smoothly rise to stand using palms on thighs for aid (anticipate back stress prevention). Incorporate this into your
other pre physical activity stretches. Your muscles will respond in appreciation. :)

♥Chelsey♥
simple answer A DOCTOR.

willie j
Rest,elevation and some type of salve to rejuvenate your torn ligaments.Give your body time to heal.REMEMBER THIS,haste makes waste.

lestermount
Rating
You can try to wrap the leg in a tight bandage. This will restrict the movement of the muscle. It will also restrict the ability to run since you can not get a full stride. Massage may help the healing time. Use ice after working out and at night.

CK1
Rating
I have been playing softball for many years, and at one point in time in my long standing career suffered such an injury. What I've done in the past is rested the injury to prevent further damage.

I know that you're eager to get out there and really let loose, however doing so may result in further damage. You may alternate in applying ice and heat to help with discomfort. An Epsome salt bath in hot water, and applying green rubbing alcohol to the injured area does wonders.

Take it easy...softball will always be there.

danasullivan70
I had a similar injury last summer only mine was a pulled groin muscle. Also being a softball player I didn't want to miss a game. I iced it before a game and jogged slowly around the bases. Then I used an ace bandage during the game. Hope this helps a bit and good luck.

stratotanker
Rating
R.I.C.E.

Rest - for a few days
Ice - Use ice packs on your injured mucle
Compression - tie your muscle in a sling after the ice treatment
Excercise - begin traing once better

Joel B
Rating
The first thing you want to do with a hamstring injury is apply ice every hour to two hours for twentyfour hours. Then go to heat. (heating pad, hot tub, bath, shower etc.) as much as possible. In between time you want to keep it wrapped. Get the longest and widest Ace bandage you can. Start wrapping right above the knee. While wrapping move up the thigh pulling up as if the hamstring has torn and fallen so your are imagining that your pulling the hamstring back up into place. If your getting ready to compete the wrap can't be tight enough. Stretch as often as possible when you can during competition but don't over stretch. Often is what your looking for to just stay loose. If your not moving rub it with a fast motion to keep it warm while you stretch. Theres also a hamstring sleeve you can wear to keep it tight and warm while you compete. I would suggest wearing it over the wrap. If you suffer from these injuries often your probably to fast for your body to handle or you just don't know how to stretch properly or effectively and as much as people like to think they can tell you, you really just need to know your own body. You don't have to be injured to wear the sleeve it may help prevent future injuries. I hope this has been helpful.

whitewolf alaska
Rating
heat the first 24hr. then cold for a couple of days do not use for a week,

ambi565
Rating
rest

Breaking Benjamin
Keep off of it as much as possible, rest it very well, keep it iced.

If you are in pain, put some Icy/Hot on there.

Rest for about a week or so, keeping it iced as much as possible, and you may want to stretch it out after it starts to heal and not hurt, that will probably help it.

But definately stretch it before exercise or softball. You need to do that. Maybe drink some protein shakes as well.

Hope this helps, good luck with the healing process!

Get back in the game and play hard!

not important
Rating
lye down for a while and ice it. afterwards, you should put a heating pad on it. avoid movement-resting it will give it a chance to heal and there will not be as much pressure on it. consult a doctor if any pain continues, he/she will know the proper treatment. in fact, my dad is a doctor, which is why i know what to do.

Maddison J
Rating
The first time i tore my hamstrings I put a brace around it. A moveable one. But now my hamstrings and cuades are really week so i have to wear that moveable brace everytime i play softball. Just make it tight but engough to move around it. If your foot begins to tingle, you've made it too tight. But, that will help you. Don't go all out the first day. Rest and ice, then heat will make it all better. Sure its going to be sore for a while but if you want to ply softball really bad then your going to have to get through it. Make sure everytime that you play after it is healed streatch really really good, or your going to pull it again.

In My Red High Heels
Rating
Ice it for half an hour at the time, then apply heat on it. Do that off and on. Depending on the severity of the tear, you might have to have surgery.

kenny
Rating
What i think will most help a torn hamstring is

1.rest,
2.ice,
3.compression (e.g., an ace bandage), and
4.elevation.

Jorge P
Rating
tape!

brek69amx
Rating
Lots of Beer!!!!

Zelda Hunter
Rating
You need to get into a good physical therapy program - one that other athletes use. Have you been to your orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation yet? Not all physical therapists or orthopedists are alike.

missfloor
Rating
You are 3 weeks in. Have you seen a doc? Are you sure it was a tear? You should be in physical therapy and also hydrotherapy. Please take your advice from a profession, not some random person online. I would be alternating heat and ice and consulting a physician.

garybonner@sbcglobal.net
As a past college wrestler I ahve pulled a hamstring or two.Time is the only safe answer but rehab is a must . Very small and easy streching then brisk walking before running and jumping is even thought about if you take your time it will heal better than ever

juanes addicion
you are on the 60 day DL pal...you want to REALLY help yourself...you have to lay off...you have to let it heal..go see a doctor..get physical therapy and fix it correctly...if you retear this ..it will take you out completely and may effect your actual job...

chuck
Rating
Stay off your feet!

Sawyer
High protein diet & glocusamine/ chondroiton supplements

drshorty
You should listen to the people who are telling you to be cautious. An injury that has lasted three weeks already sounds rather serious and you should see a doctor and perhaps get into a physical therapy program or some other sort of treatment. Continuing to play on that leg may make your condition worse, and, depending on what it is, could maybe even cause you to need surgery or not be able to play anymore. It's much better to be cautious than to hurt yourself permanently. I recommend that you don't play softball until your doctor gives you permission to do so. Get professional help on this one.

Jocelyn M
i find that rest, bengay, and rehab is the best solution.

Michael
Rating
Depends on the severity of the tear and your own, personal ability to heal.

Ice (til numb) twice a day, Aleve or Tylenol (No aspirin! It's a blood thinner.), and rest (keep leg straight). Cool water soaks will also help. Wrap with ACE bandage while working. Once you start to gain some freedom of movement, alternate heating pad treatments and gentle massage with Icy Hot or Biofreeze as you lightly stretch as well as you can. (Tip: do not use the cooling agents with a heating pad. Wait until the effect is gone before using heat.)

If you're like me, this will get you on your feet pretty quickly. I also play softball and pulled a groin muscle something fierce on Sunday and I'm already doing squats and stepper work. Do what you can ASAP and the body will respond with accelerated healing.
Oh, and take in plenty of protein (regenerating muscle) especially right before bed, potassium (muscle flexibility), and get plenty of sleep (the body heals when you sleep).

I wish you all the best.

Elv3nice
Rating
Try the RICE method.
The R stands for rest, make sure you rest your leg and get plenty of fluids, try not to walk around on it to much, if you must use a crutch.
The I stands for Ice. Make sure you press Ice, or some sports relief that will freeze the injury, onto the injured area.
The C stands for compression, this means placing pressure on the injured area, wrapping it in a bandage will work.
The E stands for elevation, lifting the injury in the air so no pressure is put on it for at least 10 minutes at a time, if not longer.
I hope this helps and that you feel better soon. We learnt this method at school in Applied Science and it's one that many physiotherapists and paramedics use, to get the person back to good health asap.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, March 22, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy