Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Injuries
Health Discussion Forum

If you have a broken tailbone, what would doctors do for it?
would i be able to walk or dance? i think my tailbone is broken, i fell a month ago and the pain is getting so much worse every day. but ive been able to walk and dance still it just hurts when i sit ...

Knee pain?
i wonder if anyone can help i was playing my usual football game on friday night. at one point in the game i felt like i over extended my knee. i have a little bit of pain, i can pretty much walk ...

Best back pain med. over the counter?

What exactly is sports massage and how does it differ from ordinary massage?
I dislocated my knee in December and I was braced in a split for several weeks.

Ive been having physiotherapy since January, as I had a lot of muscle wastage and couldnt bend my knee or ...

I had a knee cap removed 15 days ago. May I walk once recovered? What are the problems I might face?
I would like to hear from some one who had pallectomy (knee cap removed)....

If you fracture your wrist as a child is it more susceptible to strain in later life?
I'm right handed and I fractured my right wrist when I was about 8. Over the years since then I get a really annoying strain in that wrist. It's only when I use it fairly intensively eg. ...

It hurts to shake hands how do I gracefully not shake hands without appearing rude?
I have a lot of joint pain in my hands and arms and don't know how to gracefully get out of shaking hands with friends and aquaintances....

What do you all think of this a doctor who you called on the phone about a broken ankle?
the person who has the suspected broken ankle has epelipsey thats how they broke theyr ankle the doctor then says thats not urgent so you call back couple minutes later relising how serious this is ...

How can i help cure a sprained ankle quikly.?
It happened yesterday, is very swollen and bruised.
I have a football match on thursday night and training tomorrow night!

How can you tell if the bone has a hair line fracture or if it is badly sprained?
I play volleyball all the time and one time in practice I hit my wrist really hard on the ground while diving. This happened in November and it has been sore since then. When I try to lift heavy ...

If you break a bone, which one will hurt the most?
Please also include your explanations....

Does anyone know how to help bruises heal faster?
i have fair skin and I bruise very easy. Sometimes i dont even know what I hit to get the bruise. I have already had a full phsical and blood work and all is normal. does anyone know of a way to help ...

Could u break in bone in the bottom on your foot without really knowing?
on my foot the bottom not the toe but under where the toe connects it hurts. It is crunchy sounding when i push on it. Not in any extreme pain it is just annoying.
Additional Details
its ...

Losing a smashed fingernail?
I smashed my fingernail last month and it has been purple ever since. It is now acting like it will fall off. It is fraying at the cuticle area. There seems to be a new nail underneath. Will I ...

Is it okay to ice your ankle with a frozen bag of corn?
im just wondering because we're out of ice and our ice packs are no longer icy....

How to heal bruises fast?
I've got two massive ones on my knee and shin, the one on my knee is keeping me from being able to run or walk up stairs....

Okay..help! 10 points first good answer!?
my friend fell on her elbow pretty hard duing school
she was like crying andholding her elbow and saying i hurt alot.
we were on our way to an assembly so i tod her to just try and stop ...

Help I cant stop shaking!?
I was walking up the cement stairs and tripped skinned up my shin and tumbled down the stairs while i was doing that i swallowed my starburst and i started choking lukily for me my mom was just ...

When will my sprained ankle be back to 100%?
i sprained my ankle back in the third week of April. By the one month mark I was 98% better but it's been two months now and it hasn't improved the rest of the way since. It is very stiff ...

How do i stop bleeding from my nose too much?
im in boxing and i wanna know how i can stop my nose from bleeding so much , because when i get punched just a little bit i bleed a lot and when they keep hitting me it goes al over the place every ...

sherry m
What could be wrong with my mom?
my mom fell on her side and now her ribs hurt her really bad,she is have short breathing,ahe is also feeling dizzy a little bit. she says it also feels like there is something poking in her like a knife.

cutiel4ever
Rating
A rib fracture is a crack or break in one of the bones of the rib cage. A break in the cartilage connecting a rib to the breastbone (sternum) may also be called a fractured rib, even though the bone itself is not broken. The most common cause of a fractured rib is a direct blow to the chest, often from a motor vehicle accident or a fall. Ribs can also break with forceful coughing, especially when a disease such as osteoporosis or cancer has weakened the bones

What are the symptoms?

Fractured ribs are painful in the area of the fracture, with the pain ranging from mild to very severe. Breathing is often very uncomfortable. If your breastbone is pushed, especially while you're lying down, you will often feel pain at the fracture site, rather than where your breastbone is being pushed.

If the fracture is interfering with your breathing because of pain or flail chest, you may experience shortness of breath (dyspnea, or a feeling that you can't get enough air) or rapid breathing. This can make you feel anxious, restless, or scared. If your injury is severe enough to make it difficult for your lungs to function properly, you may notice a headache, dizziness, and a feeling of being tired or sleepy.

A blow that is hard enough to fracture ribs may cause further injury, especially to the lungs, abdominal organs such as the spleen or liver, large blood vessels, the head, or the neck. Because of this risk of further injuries, which may not be noticed at first, it's important to have a medical evaluation after a rib injury.

How is it treated?

In the vast majority of cases, treatment revolves around relieving pain while the fracture mends. Pain relief not only keeps you comfortable, but allows you to take deeper, more effective breaths. Ice to the injured area, rest, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen, and prescription pain medicines such as Tylenol with codeine are helpful to relieve pain. You should also cough or take the deepest breath you can at least once every hour to get air deeply into your lungs. This will reduce your risk of getting pneumonia or a partial collapse of lung tissue (atelectasis).

If you have pain in your ribs or chest wall after a blow to the chest or a fall, but you haven't injured your neck or back, it's a good idea to lie on your injured side. This allows the lung on the uninjured side to inflate more fully when you breathe.

If you appear to have more extensive injuries after a blow to the chest or a fall, you may be treated or observed in a hospital. You may be given stronger medicine to control your pain. These medicines may be given to you by mouth, by intravenous needle into a vein, or by injection near a nerve.

In the past, it was common to tape or tightly wrap the injured rib area. While this may help lessen pain, it also keeps the chest from fully expanding when you breathe in, so you cannot take adequate breaths. This can lead to areas of lung collapse and may make it more likely for you to get pneumonia. Currently, no wrapping, taping, or bracing of the injured area is recommended.

Chest wall injuries, including rib fractures, heal slowly. Your chest wall never gets a chance to completely rest because it is always in motion as you breathe, and this slows down the healing process. Rib fractures generally take at least 6 weeks to heal. Make sure you follow all your health professional's recommendations for treatment and also talk to him or her about when it is safe for you to return to your regular activities.

your mother has a broken rib, Unfortunately the only thing doctors can do is put her on bed rest, bill her, and then send her home. its gonna take her a while to heal, a couple of months....2-5

XoAngieXo
broken ribs

donmagnum
A possible fracture or broken rib. See a doctor

Ell
sounds like she may have fractured a rib .....could have broken it..

flyingsharks83
Rating
I would take her to the hospital. She could have a collapsed lung or it could just be anxiety from falling. But its nothing to guess about..take her to the ER.

Cavingboy92
Rating
she has a broken rib. go bring your mom to the hospital.

cruiser
broken rib

Seattle_Slacker
Shortness of Breath = Call 911. Every time. Don't take the chance of driving her to the ER (to answer your question, she does need to go to the ER asap.) give her to some EMTs and let them do their job.

Feeling dizzy means she's not getting enough oxygen, so while it sounds like a broken rib that could easily turn into a punctured lung if it hasn't already. Please get her checked out soon.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, October 24, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy